: Ticked off about CUE and other technologies

khoeysr
08-01-12, 11:18 AM
I know it's the logical development of new stuff, but it really bugs me to see all of the radars and the CUE technology available going forward while our cars are relatively primitive. Our bluetooth interface specifically is prehistoric compared to the technology Honda has had available for at least 4 years.

Just seems crazy that cars that CAN'T cost more than ours have such advanced technology. Yeah, I know that the new ones don't go as fast and look as cool, but I still feel slighted that they didnb't get this stuff out sooner.:banghead:

DiamondWhtV
08-01-12, 01:06 PM
Yeah...felt the same way when my 70 Olds 442 had an 8 track tape deck and the cassette was already the latest and greatest upcoming rage.

Kirk3
08-01-12, 01:27 PM
Tech turnover > Car turnover. Unless car companies change the way they think about technology, the stuff you've got when you drive off the lot isn't going to change without a lot of extra $$.

1997BlackETC
08-01-12, 01:40 PM
Sometimes I think I should have spent the extra and bought a 2013 BMW M5, better gas mileage too.

hulksdaddy
08-01-12, 02:08 PM
Would be cool to have CUE.

neuronbob
08-01-12, 02:08 PM
You can always take the amount saved from buying a new M5 and buy a cheaper beater with better tech, and enjoy the V for what it is. :)

CUE is pretty cool, though, and will be in the next CTS. No need to get grumpy, trade in when the next CTS-V is out with CUE.

buddyg
08-01-12, 03:14 PM
Sometimes I think I should have spent the extra and bought a 2013 BMW M5, better gas mileage too.

You probably should do that now.

khoeysr
08-01-12, 03:50 PM
" No need to get grumpy, trade in when the next CTS-V is out with CUE."

My fear is that 2013 will be the end for the CTS with V series treatment. They seem to be in love with this ATS.

khoeysr
08-01-12, 03:51 PM
Yeah...felt the same way when my 70 Olds 442 had an 8 track tape deck and the cassette was already the latest and greatest upcoming rage.

Diamond, am I sensing some sarcasm? :-)

StealthViggen
08-01-12, 04:04 PM
The CTS-V defined Cadillacs comeback. I guarantee there will be an update CTS-V in the near future.

RippyPartsDept
08-01-12, 04:13 PM
yeah, there will be a V3

larry arizona
08-01-12, 05:39 PM
A1LL is the new CTS (MY 2014CTS and 2015 CTS-V) its on the same architecture (A1LL is longer wheelbase) as the A1SL (2013 ATS and 2014 ATS-V). I certainly did not personally buy a V for the entertainment/info package. Not that big of a deal for me. Performance is where its at for me.

DiamondWhtV
08-01-12, 06:24 PM
Diamond, am I sensing some sarcasm? :-)

Nah...I hear ya. You get a new vehicle and having the latest stuff adds to the cool factor. I just remembered showing off the 442 and the tape deck just lowered the wow factor as the cassette was already in my buddies new car.

JFJr
08-01-12, 07:06 PM
The CTS-V defined Cadillacs comeback. I guarantee there will be an update CTS-V in the near future.Absolutely, we will love the V3 and all will be forgotten. By the way I'm old enough to remember the 442, and I wished that I had the price of entry back then. It certainly helped Olds' reputation at the time.

Jud

JimmyH
08-01-12, 08:54 PM
In five years, CUE is going to look primitive.

neuronbob
08-01-12, 08:58 PM

That is simply how things are in the tech world. At one point, the bird's eye navi in our car was the cat's meow.

V locity
08-01-12, 09:11 PM

One could say that right now...:banghead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVd_ABhNBA

M5eater
08-01-12, 09:15 PM
Honestly? I'm glad the V doesn't have more technology. I found it to have just the right balance of luxury gadgets but not so much that it's overwhelming, and the only complicated thing about the brakes/suspension or powertrain is the magneride.
If I end up keeping this car for 10 or 20 years, I'm going to have a hard enough time keeping what *is* there working.

1997BlackETC
08-01-12, 11:58 PM
Oh well, one way to look at is if the nav in my 2012 CTS-V breaks after the car runs outta warrantee at least it will not be that much of a letdown, I'd probably look forward to using my Garmin window mount one again.

One other thing that is bothering me about this new V I got a couple months ago is the seats are not very comfortable, they don't really conform to my body, my old pontiac G8 GT seats were more comfortable. I don't have the Recaro's but I hear they are worse as far as comfort goes. I've at times felt I made a mistake in getting this car and shoulda kept the G8GT and put a blower on that one.

I tried to get rid of my V a few days after I bought it, but it was too late. I was wishing it was 2009 again where you had a 30 day test drive to turn the car back in. Now I hear of all these crazy problems like clicking wheels, Creaks (I have one from the passenger side since new, I think it is where the passenger door panel wood meets) and differential whine and failure and it really scares me. I know my blower makes a loud rattle already since 1000 miles when the car is shut off, at first I thought it was the exhaust, but it's the blower Isolater for sure. It's so tempting to just change that out with a smaller pulley and tune and get rid of the rattle and have 600 hp or so. Might as well make this car into a 11 second dragster if nothing else.

larry arizona
08-02-12, 06:24 AM
1997, Dont let the forums get you down. I am guessing you would not have noticed half of your complaints if you didnt hear them on here from others. standard vs recaro is subjective too. I have had back surgery in the past 4 years so seat comfort is important to me, and after a few days of adjusting the recaros are an amazingly comfortable seat for me. With the adjustability it HAS to fit you if you take the time, I cant speak for the std seats. Its a bummer you don't enjoy your V, Hang in there, turn up the radio, mash the throttle and smile..........

M5eater
08-02-12, 08:05 AM
One other thing that is bothering me about this new V I got a couple months ago is the seats are not very comfortable, they don't really conform to my body, my old pontiac G8 GT seats were more comfortable. I don't have the Recaro's but I hear they are worse as far as comfort goes. I've at times felt I made a mistake in getting this car and shoulda kept the G8GT and put a blower on that one. When I sat in those lawn chains they shoved in this luxury car I thought they were a joke. Maybe it was because they had space constrains or something, I'm not sure. What I do know is they're small, under padded and totally non-supportave. The CTS should have came with the larger bolstered SRX throne's.

I came from a GT too, seats were 357623472 times more comfortable, they were not however, anywhere near as supportive as the recaro's. Compared to the lear seats though, definitally much better.

The only time I regret the move is when I'm filling up every 240miles(although I've dipped into 20mpg on the 6MT- WOOT!), or how even with a sunroof I still had space for my fat head and the simpson diamondback. Or maybe when I'm driving up to NJ and I end up slightly stiff in the Recaros (they're much better since I've opened up all the bolsters now ) . Possibly the rear seat room and trunk that could fit 9 bodies.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with the swap, espically the decision to swap into a tremec. The Cadillac is sharper, brakes harder, turns harder, its far more controlled, the ride is pratically a perfect compromise of harshness and rebound-- I don't even see myself doing anything with the suspension aside from maybe lowering it. I don't have to worry about skyrocket parts prices, and it's made for the ocassional HPDE or autocross thing. I dare say, it's a better looking car too, or at least more striking. It's hard to miss a giant blue brick with yellow calipers and black rims flying by.

I tried to get rid of my V a few days after I bought it, but it was too late. I was wishing it was 2009 again where you had a 30 day test drive to turn the car back in. Now I hear of all these crazy problems like clicking wheels, Creaks (I have one from the passenger side since new, I think it is where the passenger door panel wood meets) and differential whine and failure and it really scares me
rotting Control arms, $1100 fenders with months of backorders, shift flare's, unbalanced driveshafs, an engine that randomly throws a/c belts, may blow large amounts of oil past the PCV valve when operated @ high rpm, and AFM failure in the G8 didn't scare you, but creaking and clicking noises do?

Imo.. the CTS-V is much more solid of a car than the G8.

thebigjimsho
08-02-12, 11:04 AM
Oh well, one way to look at is if the nav in my 2012 CTS-V breaks after the car runs outta warrantee at least it will not be that much of a letdown, I'd probably look forward to using my Garmin window mount one again.

One other thing that is bothering me about this new V I got a couple months ago is the seats are not very comfortable, they don't really conform to my body, my old pontiac G8 GT seats were more comfortable. I don't have the Recaro's but I hear they are worse as far as comfort goes. I've at times felt I made a mistake in getting this car and shoulda kept the G8GT and put a blower on that one.

I tried to get rid of my V a few days after I bought it, but it was too late. I was wishing it was 2009 again where you had a 30 day test drive to turn the car back in. Now I hear of all these crazy problems like clicking wheels, Creaks (I have one from the passenger side since new, I think it is where the passenger door panel wood meets) and differential whine and failure and it really scares me. I know my blower makes a loud rattle already since 1000 miles when the car is shut off, at first I thought it was the exhaust, but it's the blower Isolater for sure. It's so tempting to just change that out with a smaller pulley and tune and get rid of the rattle and have 600 hp or so. Might as well make this car into a 11 second dragster if nothing else.Many of us here have been blaring the trumpets IN FAVOR of the Recaros and their comfort. They are incredinly supportive AND comfortable.

I did 1050 miles in one day and about 19 hours of seat time. I had someone with me who could've driven if I got tired. I never did.

Back in October, when we had that freak snowstorm, I pulled my lower back muscle, badly. After a few days I go to drive my V wondering if I even could. Not only was I able to, the exceptional support made my back feel better getting out than when I got in.

The base seats are garbage. They are just base seats that don't support you even in a base CTS.

Some have tried to laugh at the money I've spent for the Recaros. Yet, my fuel bill over the life of the car will make that number look tiny. So why should I worry what those neanderthals think when driving my car makes me look and feel so good?

Sorry, my friend, but you listened to fools!

M5eater
08-02-12, 11:26 AM
I'm convinced the chest bolsters are the cause for the discomfort. You really need to have them fully flat for taller/larger people. If you can feel them on your sides when sitting normally, they're too tight. This might not be noticeable if the seat itself were not made from granite, but since there's little cushion it exasperates the issue further.

After fully retracting the boltsers, mine's just fine, it's still hard, but it doesn't kill my back like it used to. It's a recaro anyway, I feel like they may have went a little overboard on the notion that these were racing seats, but at least they're true to the brands image.

larry arizona
08-02-12, 12:10 PM
M5, I dont want to hear a 24 yo complaining about being stiff after a drive from VA to NJ:histeric:. Just wait, getting old sux!!!

Xaqtly
08-02-12, 12:47 PM
I took me a few months but I think I've gotten my recaros positioned pretty well now. All bolsters flat, had to do a lot of fiddling with the steering wheel height and telescoping in conjunction with the front to back seat position, the seatback angle and the overall seat tilt angle but it's pretty comfortable for me now. And that's the thing about the recaros, at least they're super adjustable, the base seats aren't. And if I ever take it on a track I can tighten up the bolsters to hold me in place better.

1997BlackETC
08-02-12, 12:48 PM
You hit the nail on the head with everything you said. The CTS-V is a much more solid car for sure and like you said there is really no reason to be modifying the car all the time with expensive parts to try to make it into the car the V is for sure. I think I just got frusterated again last night in trying to adjust the seat so it is more comfortable along with the steering wheel tilt and extension. It feels like the base seats are just too small for me, I'm a big guy. I'm hopeful once I lose some weight (on a diet now, 228lbs is too much for 6 foot 1) that the seats will fit me better if I can get down around 200 lbs. The steering in the V does have a much better feel than the g8 and it does stick to the road better even though I had the same tires on my G8. The G8 requires a major amount of tinkering to get it where the V is and then the problem is you never get your money back when you go to sell the car for all that tinkering and those parts, especially a blower. That was the main reason I decieded not to do a blower on the G8, it actually makes the car tougher to sell whereas the CTS-V has one from the factory so nobody questions it.

I also agree with the poster who said you can get too complicated with too many gadgets and tough to use interfaces. The BMW can tend to be like that in that it is hard to figure things out with the technology whereas you just want to drive the car.

thebigjimsho
08-02-12, 01:25 PM
228 is too much for 6'1? Uh-oh...

JimmyH
08-02-12, 01:46 PM
Honestly? I'm glad the V doesn't have more technology. I found it to have just the right balance of luxury gadgets but not so much that it's overwhelming, and the only complicated thing about the brakes/suspension or powertrain is the magneride.
If I end up keeping this car for 10 or 20 years, I'm going to have a hard enough time keeping what *is* there working.

Exactly. I am very, very satisfied with the antiquated radio in my Camaro. It plays music, sounds nice, and thanks to huge buttons and dials, I can control it and the hvac without taking my eyes off the road.

M5eater
08-02-12, 01:48 PM
228 is too much for 6'1? Uh-oh...

*lies to self* I'm 6 2' and I'm 180lbs.

larry arizona
08-02-12, 08:54 PM
Hmm 6 2"and 240lbs and at best I should drop maybe 10 tops.

thebigjimsho
08-03-12, 08:47 AM
I am big boned. That's right. When I graduated high school, I almost looked malnourished at 6'1 195. When I started lifting, I was in shape at 6'1 225. Nearing 40, if I could get on the right side of 250, I'd be ecstatic...

hulksdaddy
08-03-12, 10:00 AM
I visit 225 now and again. On my way there now. Have to stop off at 260, 250, 240, and 230 before I get there. :lol:

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 08:24 PM
Looks like I've got a few more stops...