Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rear Deck Rattle

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. Frontier 
#1 ·
Most us that own an 08' CTS are aware of the rattle that seems to come from the rear deck, mine is even more obnoxious in the summer.
Have any of you tried to fix the issue yourselves, and if so what was the fix ?

I've tried shoving the round cord weatherstripping down between the rear glass and deck , as well as doing the same on the sides of the deck, but nothing has helped.....any other suggestions ?

thanks

#3 ·
Mine seems to be coming from the passenger side speaker grille and is made worse by heat and/or people sitting in the back seat. Minor bumps, grooved pavement and heat all make it rattle. I've had it at the dealer three times and they keep shoving more weatherstripping around the edges. Hasn't fixed it yet. I have an appointment at another dealership, so hopefully they'll finally fix it -- three years later.

Tapping my fingers very gently on cover anywhere around the speaker grille makes it start rattling by itself, with music that has no bass. Ironically, one of the stereo sounds that consistently makes it rattle is the advertisements for my local Cadillac dealership! Go figure.

Aside from pulling it all apart myself, I can't suggest anything more than taking it back again or trying a different dealer. That rattle is a pretty common topic on here. It's frustrating that the dealers aren't competent enough to correctly fix this in one visit.

#4 ·
My rattle was corrected by my dealer last month. They replaced the rear deck with a new one and hasn't rattled since. If it comes back now that my warranty has expired, I will fix it myself by stuffing a window A/C foam down between the rear window and the deck. Before I had the dealer fix it properly, I stopped the rattle with the window A/C foam cut in half lengthwise. I tried the round cord weatherstipping first but it wasn't thick enough.

#6 ·
I too have a rattle but mine is a result of adding 2 12" subs. I was considering applying dynamat to the underside of the shelf but it sounds as if the rattle is occurring at the edges? Can someone explain how hey applied their fix? Did you jam the foam into the crevice after the shelf was in place? Can you see it through the glass? Pics would be great!

Thanks!

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback all.....has anyone actually removed the entire rear deck themselves to fix the issue, if so how involved was it ?
If not it seems that all we can do is to shove various insulation or weatherstrip into whatever gap we cap find ?

My warranty has expired so i'm not even going to attempt to have the dealer try and fix the problem, so Katie thanks for your input, but i don't want to waste your time trying to help my cause.

#8 ·
I took a bottle of greatstuff fireblock foam and foamed the shit out of all the little plastic components that make up the rear shelf, along with the rear shelf. Pretty much anything that wasn't bolted down to the cheap plastic got a couple shots of heavy duty foam. The next issue is to rubberize the edge of the shelf cover where it sits on the plastic on the rear windows' glass. If you do take the shelf cover out, I believe foaming the plastic deck and finding a high temp rubberizing spray to hit around the edge of the cover will cover every rattle, ever again, to come from that area. GOOD LUCK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.