: Fuel level low light

maiahsdad
07-30-12, 04:41 PM
When I see this light come on, is it true that I have 3 gallons still in the tank before running completely out?

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-30-12, 06:12 PM
I believe so...that's what I've always noticed in all vehicles

AllWheelEric
07-30-12, 06:21 PM
When I see this light come on, is it true that I have 3 gallons still in the tank before running completely out?

I don't think so. These cars have a pretty small reserve. Several members here have run it dry. Be conservative until you know your car. Fill 'er up and compare to stated capacity.

LiquidTrader
07-31-12, 12:19 AM
I've ran out before thinking it had a good reserve. But once that light goes on you do not have that much left! I don't know how much exactly but it's not much

R3TRO
07-31-12, 12:53 AM
I've ran out of gas twice (!) in this car, it creeps up on you fast. When the first light comes on with the low range warning you do have about 3gal, but that is only about 50mi (N*V8). Then when the BIG fuel pump shows up you better find a station within 10mi or you'll be calling AAA. Both times I ran out, I was going up a hill, so I wonder if the fuel pickup is towards the front of the tank? Anyway, I've learned my lesson!

curtc
07-31-12, 01:10 AM
I try not to run her below a quarter tank, prolongs fuel pump life expectancy.

dkozloski
07-31-12, 03:14 AM
The gas tank is shaped like a saddle and straddles the drive shaft. The fuel pump has to transfer the fuel in one side of the saddle to the other before it can be fed to the engine. This has proven to be problematic when the fuel level is low. When the gas gauge reads 1/4 it's time to look around for a fillup.

PzNuts
07-31-12, 09:11 AM
I can tell you that once the low fuel light first comes on, I'm not sure how much remains. But when the message on the dash says "Low Fuel Level", I can tell you that you have < 1 gallon remaining assuming a 17 gallon tank. I performed this test just so I could know what the limit is. On our 07 STS, low fuel level message was on for a bit and then pulled into a gas station. I let the gas go and filled 16.5 gallons.

mckellyb
07-31-12, 06:46 PM
I've run mine dry once, unintentionally, though I do like to know what true empty is on my vehicles.

The 50 mile warning dinged, no problem, less than 30 miles to the station at which I always purchase fuel.

Ran out about 100 feet from the fuel pump.

It doesn't appear to be the same every time, unlike all vehicles I've owned which are 20 years old or newer.

Fuel pumps being damaged by running the tank low is now an old wives' tale. Used to be true, but hasn't been for a few decades.

maiahsdad
07-31-12, 06:55 PM
What 50 mile warning? When I first see the yellow icon in the message center that's when hear the sound. Does that mean I can drive 50 more miles? I don't think so.

MacMuse
07-31-12, 10:06 PM
Flip your DIC display over to Miles Remaining as you're running low. It will still show an ESTIMATED number of miles. I don't recall the number when it first trips the low fuel light, but I do know the miles remaining changes to 'LOW' once it get down to 40 miles left.

EChas3
07-31-12, 11:20 PM
I get gas ASAP if I see the warning. Mine takes 16 gallons or more when that happens.

My wife pushes it a bit further but neither of us have ever run out.

Why take chances?

maiahsdad
08-01-12, 06:12 AM
Flip your DIC display over to Miles Remaining as you're running low. It will still show an ESTIMATED number of miles. I don't recall the number when it first trips the low fuel light, but I do know the miles remaining changes to 'LOW' once it get down to 40 miles left.

That's good to know. I recall seeing the LOW indication for the miles remaining. Now to find out the miles remaining when I see the gas pump and hear the ding.

Thanks MAC!