Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Closing in on a 2011 DTS Premium..

9K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  Superjim 
#1 ·
What's up everybody!

New to the forum and decided to join up since after reading for quite a while, you guys seem to have nice community of very knowledgeable Caddy owners here.
I've never owned a 'lac but have always wanted to.

Currently closing in on a 2011 CPO DTS Premium w/ 32k miles. The interior is in great condition. Had to haggle the dealer down to $32,400. Was trying my hardest to get it down to 30 but they wouldn't come down, even with me threatening to walk away.

I believe 32,4(Final price, fees/tax included btw) is a fair deal. What do y'all think? Pull the trigger? I would love too.. :cool:

#5 ·
Well, I am now re-evaluating that price. Because they tried to pull the ol' including the trade-in car in the price trick. So it's actually $32,400 + my trade in, which is $4,000 so that comes out to $36,400 in reality.

I don't think that's much of a deal. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm back to trying to get them down to $30k + my trade-in. $2400 off but i think that's a much better price considering the miles and the fact that the TMV for that car CPO is 35 and change.

#8 ·
Well, I am now re-evaluating that price. Because they tried to pull the ol' including the trade-in car in the price trick.
Are you sure you want to deal with these folks? To me, when someone starts playing games and pulling stunts like this, it is a good indicator of how they'll treat any issues I might have down the road. Typically when this kind of double-talk starts to happen, I'll walk out the door.

#6 ·
Is this one CPO? That is worth a couple thousand, at least. If not, I would definitely get the GMPP Major Guard.

#9 ·
I'm on the younger side, 26, so i assumed the 'games' were them trying to see if they had a naive sucker.

Not really happy about that, but they did drop the price twice, albeit menial. I'm pretty set on doing it for $30k + my trade-in if they come around to that. These cars aint exactly all over the market and the latest i'd want is a 2010.

Btw, my car situation is not very good at the moment, many repairs to be made. So waiting is a bit difficult.

#11 ·
Unless year is extra important I'd find another. Both of My DTS were CPO and I got both of them for less then $19K. And if your going to spend that kind of coin look at other cars, You could get a 2012 300 Limited for $30K or even a Genesis Sedan. I'm at the point where I'm tempted to take a look at what else is on the market and move on. Fuel economy is unacceptable on my DTS.

#12 ·
Anyone who walks into a dealer and accepts an "out the door" price, or a "payment" price is a sucker. Work with real numbers only. What are you selling me $$ the car for? What are you giving me $$ for my car? What is the interest rate? What is the tax, mv, title fees? You will get ripped off if you do not work with and know what the actual numbers are. The price you were given may be a good deal. Not sure what you are referring to with the trade.

Don

#13 ·
Just got back from taking my wife to the hospital for a MRI, under the circumstances it was a pleasant morning. While she was in having the procedure I went for a walk in the parking lot there was another DTS near mine so I checked it out the only outward difference was the antenna and the smaller emblem on the slightly different wheels with the nuts showing everything else appeared to be the same.

It got me to wondering just what the difference is between the 06 and 11 for the interior lay out and creature comforts. then I thought about this thread.

A well cared for dts with say 36000 miles would still look and smell new. What would be the pros and cons of shopping for a year or miles?.

When your trade your car in for a used car you are giving it away. You can use the car for a bargaining chip by accepting their final cash offer (out the door) and keep your car. Nobody really gets a deal from a dealer they are really good at their business the only question is are you happy.

There is one thing that can help you just remember the dealer acquires the car from a auction or by trade really cheap. Mike

#18 ·
I agree with what you say in your post Mike! Dealers are pretty slick. I have bought a lot of cars and have bought probably 6 cars from my current dealer and even they try to take my trade for almost nothing. I know they are not going to offer what I want but usually am still shocked at how low they go. My cars are always in great shape and when I go looking, I take mine in all cleaned up and looking good.

The last 3 or 4 I have sold by parking it out on the street in front of my house and putting a for sale sign in it. It takes a little time time and effort but I always come out a lot better selling it myself.
Sometimes Craigslist helps and other times it is more of an aggravation. I sold one a few months ago and got more low baller's, traders and dealers than I cared to deal with. I told the people when they called what my bottom price was yet I had a couple dealers come with cash thinking that I might be desperate and take a couple thousand less. Then they seemed angry when I politely declined. I couldn't believe the people out there that were trying to find someone desperate for money so that they could prey on them…

You have to watch the dealer on everything including warranties, interest rate and financing. Sometimes they will try to pull one over on the financing too. They make an extra commission (sometimes a big commission) for selling your loan to a bank or finance company. I personally think it's better to go through your own bank or loan shop on your own, unless they can offer a really good manufacturer deal for financing.

I'm think I'm going to look for a newer Cadillac DTS in the next month or so and I'm not looking forward to dealing with the dealers…

Reg

#14 ·
I would pull the trigger especially with CPO and fee/tax included. It has been used ~16,000 miles per year which is the industry norm. I have not looked at 2010 or 2011 Premium models lately and I hope it has the sunroof and the navigation system.

Make sure to get the extended warranty.

#15 ·
only difference is the shark antenna side mirror turning signal and the bluetooth which started from 09 and up but you can add all those extras if you don't have them.like i'm adding the shark antenna at the cadillac dealer by my house for $450.I just bought my 2008 performance edition from an old man barely drove it 32,000 miles smells brand new garage kept black on black i couldnt say no

#16 ·
only difference is the shark antenna side mirror turning signal and the bluetooth which started from 09 and up but you can add all those extras if you don't have them.like i'm adding the shark antenna at the cadillac dealer by my house for $450.I just bought my 2008 performance edition from an old man barely drove it 32,000 miles smells brand new garage kept black on black i couldnt say no
My 2006 has side mirror turn signals...

#17 ·
So does my '08.

IMO, unless you want a CPO, or the ability to get GMPP (i.e., still in factory warranty) -- buy the best optioned, best condition, lowest mileage example you can that fits within your budget. The biggest "issue" in terms of year are the ballasts in the '06 headlights (Superjim may know of some other issues...).

I can't see adding Bluetooth or especially a "shark fin", on a pre-'09. OH -- and don't forget the different keys/key fobs for (I think) '08...

:bigroll:

#19 ·
I definitely agree with the above. I paid $46k for a brand new almost fully loaded 2011 DTS (I'm pretty sure it's one step below the highest non-performance model you could get). My plan was to put $20k down and finance the rest to build my credit (I've paid for everything I own with cash instead of credit or loans for so long, that was the sole reason my credit wasn't the best). I planned on using my bank to finance since I knew they would give me a great interest rate and they already take care of the insurance as well. The dealer swore up and down they could get me a better rate going with one of their finance companies. I didn't want to even try but they kept hampering me to give them a chance. I finally caved since I got such a great deal on the car. Lo and behold they were wrong. I was really mad to find out they ran my name against so many credit companies which hurt my credit more than anything.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback so far everybody. Really appreciate the insights.

To update y'all a little bit, The talks have stalled out on that one. They seemed pretty intent on 32,400 + my trade-in which they valued at 4,000 and wouldn't go down to where I want them at 30 + trade. So I'm playing the waiting game. Reason mainly being that the interior is tan when I prefer black, and that although I'd be more than happy with a premium, I'm really hoping a black on black platinum falls out the sky.

Only issue with the waiting game is my current ride is up there in mileage and has numerous problems, the dead A/C being one of them. And more keep popping up by the week it seems, so waiting long isn't ideal.

I did however, find a 2009 DTS performance (which if im not mistaken is just like the platinums of '10-'11 right?) with black interior (so clean) and the cherry on top, only 6k miles on it AND a it's a CPO! Clean car fax and everything listed at $32,000. Only kicker is its red (not my top 2 of colors). I am strongly considering it though due to the low mileage and that interior is just beautiful.. Almost sounds to good to be true.

Any thoughts?

#24 ·
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the actual "Performance" model (w/the 292HP N*, body color grille, and standard interior) went away in 2008 (the same year the Platinum was introduced as an option package for the Performance model). For 2009+, I thought the Platinum took over as the only style w/the higher HP N*.

Either way, if you can get a 3 yr old CPO w/6K miles for 32 grand, I'd be all over that...

EDIT: You might want to consider -- the dealer might be able to invalidate the CPO coverage (which should be a couple of grand, at least) -- and if it is still in factory warranty, put that money into the longest GMPP Major Guard you can get. The coverage is equivalent (although the GMPP has a deductible) -- but w/that thing's mileage, you'd be set for years...

#25 ·
Checked Edmunds (FWIW) and it shows the Performance model going away for 2010.

#26 ·
Hi, Big Caddy Kane! Please let me know if you have any DTS vehicle questions I could research for you; I'm always available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to research for you. If you send me the last eight of the DTS' VIN, for example, I could pull up its full build sheet and any applicable warranties that remain on it.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#27 ·
I believe the dealer just misnamed it a 'Performance' instead of 'Platinum'. The back bumper has the platinum tag and it's sporting the Platinum 18's.

**Update! they just dropped the price to $29,000. Kinda sounds to good to be true. Hopefully i will be able to make it to the dealer this weekend. I'm pretty curious to test drive it, as I've only test drove Premiums so far.

I'm somewhat uncertain as to how i feel about the Platinum/Performance ride. What I understand after reading up on this forum, is that the Platinum's/Perf. are a firmer, closer to the ground ride. What i want to know is, do you FEEL the ground (bumps, potholes, unevenness) SIGNIFICANTLY more than a Premium. Personally, i prefer the old school 'cloud' feeling , however I would like the better handling performance of the platinum, hence my indecision.

#29 ·
I'm really curious as to many people's desire for a black interior. Of course, it's a personal thing, and certainly not "wrong", but all you guys in the southern states most be dying in the summer. I'm up in Canada, and I'd never buy a black interior, and our summers are only 4 months long. Granted, you run the A/C, but still, black on black is just too darn hot. Plus how it shows all the dirt. I guess I just prefer the lighter colored interiors. To each their own...

#31 ·
Most definitely it's personal preference. It has it's pros and cons. Drawing heat being one of the cons (especially down here in Miami), however I'm of the opposite belief on the dirt. Black usually hides it much better than say a tan, or light interior. Also, the contrast of the black interior with the light wood in the Platinum's is just jaw-dropping to me.

#30 ·
Big Caddy Kane said:
I believe the dealer just misnamed it a 'Performance' instead of 'Platinum'. The back bumper has the platinum tag and it's sporting the Platinum 18's.

**Update! they just dropped the price to $29,000. Kinda sounds to good to be true. Hopefully i will be able to make it to the dealer this weekend. I'm pretty curious to test drive it, as I've only test drove Premiums so far.

I'm somewhat uncertain as to how i feel about the Platinum/Performance ride. What I understand after reading up on this forum, is that the Platinum's/Perf. are a firmer, closer to the ground ride. What i want to know is, do you FEEL the ground (bumps, potholes, unevenness) SIGNIFICANTLY more than a Premium. Personally, i prefer the old school 'cloud' feeling , however I would like the better handling performance of the platinum, hence my indecision.
Magneride is never floaty. It compensates for road imperfections and then tightens up when pushed for improved handling.

It works wonderfully.

#32 ·
I understand the fundamental difference however I have trouble grasping the extent or severity of the difference without the experience of a test drive.. By not being floaty, and more grounded than a premium do you FEEL the bumps, pot holes, etc ALOT more than you would w/o Magneride?

#33 ·
My general impression is that sharp impacts (potholes, pavement seams, even some speed bumps) are felt more than they were in my 300C, which had fairly stiff suspension, especially with the front tires. Not as much with the rear. It was almost as though the suspension learned how to deal with the bump when the front hit, and then adjusted the shocks so the impact was more gentle with the rear. I've driven a few DTS loaners when my car was in for maintenance and have to say below 40 mph, the standard suspension was smoother and more Cadillac-ish. Above 40 mph is where the MRC really shows it stuff with a much more stable, controlled, and comfortable ride.

In Tulsa, where I did a lot of 65+mph driving, the MRC was perfect. Here in Maine, where most of my driving is on 2-lane roads at 55 mph or less, I think I might prefer the standard suspension, though the extra control of the MRC is sometimes welcome driving through the mountains. You really have to do a back-to-back yourself to decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.