: Lumbar Control is not functioning properly

Dr. John
07-29-12, 04:07 PM
I have a 2005 STS. I have been trying to find a fix for my lumbar adjustment in the front passenger seat. I opened the back of the seat to find the lumbar system. I saw a rack with pulleys and cables, and compared it to the properly functioning driver's seat. I realize that a clip was disconnected, so I reconnected. Immediately some up and down movement in the lumbar was reestablished. Then I noticed that the finned lumbar device seemed bent into an awkward C-shape. I compared the finned lumbar panels (that pushes on the foam seat) of the faulty and properly functioning seats. The faulty seat had a decidedly awkard bend. Additionally, the cable length and positioning in the faulty seat did not seem as precise as in the correctly functioning driver's seat.
Question: Do I need to replace the lumbar adjustment unit within the seat, or can I repair it? If so, how do I start?

Dr. John
07-29-12, 04:50 PM
OK. I properly reattached the cable that allows the lumbar to travel up and down on its glides. I still have no in and out motion on the lumbar. The in and out motion of the lumbar seems controlled by an upper cable that wraps around a wheel, and that cable is then locked in place in a lower stationary notch. I hear the right motor which controls the in and out motion, but the cable for the in and out motion does not seem to retract and extend. I welcome suggestions.