: Wow, does installing ceramic tint ever make a huge difference in heat!

Mr. LCP
07-28-12, 02:47 PM
I had Geoshield Dark Matter 30 ceramic tint installed on my CTS-V in Houston yesterday. I also had the sunroof tinted (although I think they used Llumar Platinum 35 on it). Since I had gotten my CTS-V I had noticed how hot it would stay just driving with the AC on and how it would just become an oven if parked in the sun. No more. I spent over an hour at the driving range this morning and with about 2 minutes of remote start AC, sat down into a "mild" feeling cabin afterward. The Geoshield Dark Matter 30 is supposed to reject 86% of the IR energy. (see http://www.geoshieldusa.com/autofilms.html) The car also feels so much more cool while driving, and the sun coming in through the sunroof is much less intense, but if I were doing it again, I would go a little darker on the sunroof -- probably a 20% tint.

The installer in Houston I used was Applied Window Film Technologies, 11020 Old Katy Road (Katy Freeway), 713-465-1332. For only $275 for the whole thing, paying for one of the more premium tints seemed excessive. I've used these guys going back to the 1990's.

I don't know how anyone who lives south of the Mason-Dixon Line owns a car without tinted windows.

DRL650
07-28-12, 06:20 PM
That sounds like a good combo. Any pics?

Mr. LCP
07-28-12, 08:46 PM
That sounds like a good combo. Any pics?

Not yet but will do eventually.

Gman57
08-10-12, 09:58 AM
Just did mine in ceramic 30% on sides and 20% rear.... :cool2:

94danstang
08-10-12, 09:29 PM
Just had mine done with ceramic 35 (Suntek CXP35) the other day. Unfortunately it has been cloudy and rainy the last few days and I haven't had a chance to 'test' it.

One thing I did notice is the rear window - driving at night, the headlights from the cars behind cause a reflection on each antenna line on the rear window. A bit distracting.

Do you know if tinting the rear window affects the rear view mirror electro-chromatic functions?

Thanks.

DAN

Mr. LCP
08-11-12, 11:59 AM
If the sensor in the mirror detects less light hitting it because of the tint, it should probably be a little less reactive.

Xaqtly
08-13-12, 05:49 PM
I have 18% ceramic tint all around, including the ultraview sunroof. It makes a massive difference. It's routinely 110 here all summer long, sometimes hotter, and it's basically necessary to have good tint here. I had it on my last car too, and as long as I'm out here I won't have a car without ceramic tint on it.

NAX-121
08-17-12, 12:36 AM
LoL... i ended up with 5% all 4 doors and back window. Then did a 50% on the full front window. Thank god for tint here in LV.

TexasCTS-V
08-18-12, 12:44 PM
I just had Huper Optik 30% ceramic tint put on my Coupe's sunroof, and I can't believe the difference. Virtually no visibility decrease, but the reduced interior glare and heat from the Texas sun has been truly remarkable. Worth every penny!

muohio
08-23-12, 10:01 AM
I went with the 3M Crystaline at the darkest legal in GA. It made a huge difference, especially with the roof being done.

Before:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/muohio/CTS-V/IMG_4593.jpg

After:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/muohio/CTS-V/DSC00417-1.jpg

cf400ex
08-25-12, 09:39 PM
I went with the 3M Crystaline at the darkest legal in GA. It made a huge difference, especially with the roof being done.

Before:

After:

Looks great!

What is the % you went with then? 40%

What did the crystalline cost you?
Dealers here (Phx,AZ) want $599 for the normal side &rear windows and an extra $199 to do the windshield in 70%

Did you do your windshield?

muohio
08-25-12, 10:14 PM
Looks great!

What is the % you went with then? 40%

What did the crystalline cost you?
Dealers here (Phx,AZ) want $599 for the normal side &rear windows and an extra $199 to do the windshield in 70%

Did you do your windshield?

I was charged $450 total for 40% on the side, rear and roof. I was thinking of the front window, but didn't pull the trigger.