Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 CTS oil consumption.

18K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  SC2150 
#1 ·
I'm almost at my wits end on the oil consumption problem with my 2008 CTS 3.6. I thought i would list all the repairs that have been done under warranty and see if anybody could provide some insight as to what could be next. First of all the car was using 2qts of oil every 1000 miles. At 40,000 miles it has had the folowing done: updated valve cover gasket, new piston rings(with one new piston) ,bearings, timing chain, and camshaft shims, and oil fouled catyalitic converter The oil consumption is much better but still uses 2qts between oil changes. We recently left the car in my garage for 6 days and when we returned and started it up it smoked a fair amount of blueish smoke. That would lead me to believe it would be the valve guide seals but after reading more on this forum it could be as simple as the PCV system sucking oil in the intake. If the intake was loaded with oil, the oil could pool on the valves which could smoke on startt up? So installing a catch can sytem may solve the problem? Currently running another oil consumption test with the dealer who states it will be up to GM tech assist to see whats next. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I would like to share my experience with Oil consumption on my 08 CTS4.

Purchased the car about 17 months ago with approx. 26k. In the first 15 months I only put about 7k miles on it, and in that time i noticed that it was burning about a quart every 1k miles which was frustrating to say the least.
I have since started driving the car almost everyday over the past couple of months putting another 2500 miles on the car, and have noticed that the oil consumption has stopped and tail pipes are now clean. (I havent used any oil in the 2500 miles)

I really cant say why it has stopped using oil, but it is possible that my driving habits have allowed it to finally break in properly ???? Regardless the reason, im much happier now that it seems it has fixed itself.

good luck with your issue.

#11 ·
And this is why yours is not using I'm willing to bet. Break them in properly(and not by babying them) and the rings seat properly and it is a non issue, but break it in easy and chances are you will consume oil the rest of its days.

Also, with the intake charge ingestion if not running a properly functioning catchcan the gunk residue forms in the ring lands and that can cause a lighhtly driven motor to have rings sticking which will result in consumption.

Search the posts I have made for pictures and data. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I don't know what it is, but these engines seem to like to be run hard. I bought mine in Feruary and it had about 6k on the oil as best I can tell. It was down more than a quart. Once I saw that, I immediately changed the oil so I don't know how far down it was. since then, it has had 2 oil changes. During the first change at 5K, it was down about a 1/2 qt and at the second change after another 5k miles it was still full and used no oil. I do not baby the car when I drive it. I don't beat on it and run it redline all the time either. I'm guessing the previous owner either used the car rarely or on very short trips based on the age and mileage.

Obviously, your commute is what it is. But making sure the engine gets up to temp and applying a good amount of throttle regularly seems to be good for the engine.

#13 ·
I have a 2007 CTS at 40000 mi. it started using oil, did a oil consumption test at 2000 mi it used 3 qts. The dealer pulled the engine and found a scratch in #6 cylinder wall. The extended warranty rep.looked at the problem didn't hear from them for a week. They called the dealer on Monday and told them that they are sending a new engine.

#14 ·
Here is what happens to the pistons and cylinder walls with the DI engines. 1st picture below shows a piston from a 3.6 LLT with 8 k miles on it.

The oil ingestion from not using a good catchcan builds up heavier deposits on the side furthest from the DI injector stream, and as you can see the piston has just minor normal scouring that has no effect on the seal:

Now this is the opposite side where the build up is heaviest, and this customer had also had a dealer reccomended upper induction cleaning done. See how the hard deposits scour the piston, damage the rings (and the cylinder wall) when forced between the piston and cylinder wall:

Also, here is a good overall explanation of all that takes place in these (and other modern engines) motors:

(please read entire thread):
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291304

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.