: Anybody eaten at Ruth Chris or Morton's lately ?

orconn
07-27-12, 12:26 PM
Just wondering if either is worth the price of admission. Haven't been to one in a long time.

brandondeleo
07-27-12, 01:04 PM
I have no idea what either of those are, but Morton's sounds like a decent name.

Submariner409
07-27-12, 01:13 PM
Ruth's Chris is a chain of steak houses. There's one over in Annapolis. We went for dinner last spring - won't do that again.

www.ruthschris.com

Kev
07-27-12, 01:13 PM
I've only heard of Ruth Chris. The steaks are supposed to be superb, but living here on the Central Coast with great local steak houses like the Hitching Post and Jocko's I can't imagine how Ruth Chris can be any better, especially considering the price.

orconn
07-27-12, 04:43 PM
^^^ I've eaten at some of your local steak houses and agree I don't know how they could be any better. There was on outside Santa Maria that was had the best steak I have ever had. Unfortunately that experience has not even come close to being repeated here in Central Virginia!

Sub, thanks for the your input; I was afraid that was the case, others have told me that Ruth Chris is highly over rated. I have a Ruth Chris' about five blocks from the house, but guess once again I will pass on eating there. I don't mind paying a lot for a very nice meal, but I resent paying a lot for a meal that is only just above average!

Jesda
07-27-12, 04:56 PM
I've only heard of Ruth Chris. The steaks are supposed to be superb, but living here on the Central Coast with great local steak houses like the Hitching Post and Jocko's I can't imagine how Ruth Chris can be any better, especially considering the price.

Supposedly, the desserts are stellar.

Kev
07-27-12, 04:58 PM
^^^ I've eaten at some of your local steak houses and agree I don't know how they could be any better. There was on outside Santa Maria that was had the best steak I have ever had. Unfortunately that experience has not even come close to being repeated here in Central Virginia!The Hitching Post is just south of Santa Maria, one of the oldest around and fairly well known. If I were a betting man I'd lay odds that was where you went. Jocko's is just north of Santa Maria in Nipomo. It's not as well known to outsiders as THP, very well known to locals. Excellent meals and a little more reasonable than THP.

Both are much more reasonable than Ruth's.

Kev
07-27-12, 05:00 PM
Supposedly, the desserts are stellar.The deserts at our local spots are probably not stellar material but they feed you so much for dinner few have room for desert anyway! Oh, and great coffee too.

:coffee:

orconn
07-27-12, 05:16 PM
I don't remember the name of the place, but when visiting my step brother who lived in Santa Maria and worked on the Space Shuttle program out at Vandenburg back in the 1980's, he and his wife would take us to, as I said, the best steak place I have ever been too. The Central California coast is famous for their superior beef, Harris Ranch beef is still available by mail order.

Even though I was surprised to find very large beef production here in Virginia I have yet to enjoy what I would call a great steak dinner anywhere in the state (come to think of it I have only had a couple of first rate meals in Virginia, and both of these were at a very fine French restaurant in Great Falls.

I've been trying to figure out someplace to celebrate my birthday tomorrow, but so far haven't come up with anything I can get excited about. Too bad Santa Maria is so far away!

talismandave
07-27-12, 05:16 PM
Only been to Ruth's Chris once, for a seminar on estate planning. Food was good. With so many great local spots in town just don't do chains. Having grown up eating, and working in local supper clubs that is what I seek out if going out to eat. There is just something about the smells and feel of old supper clubs that brings comfort to me. Like going home after a long time in motels....just feels right...

And....:happybday4:

winstonlv
07-27-12, 05:22 PM
Ruth Chris #1 Love them!

orconn
07-27-12, 05:26 PM
I agree that the chains are uninteresting compared to locally grown restaurants, whether upscale or "mom and pop," Unfortunately Richmond has been inundated by chain restaurants, and even the best of these are reliably unreliable when it comes to food and service. They aren't expensive, but often they deliver an experience that is less than you even pay for.

I have yet to find a good mom and pop that delivers really good Southern cooking. The mediocrity of the food served in restaurants in Central Virginia (and Northern Virginia for that matter) leaves eating at home the better option.

The closest "good food" I have had south of NYC has been in Baltimore. Actually I have had several excellent meals in Baltimore, although I will say the prices these restaurants (closer to New York than L.A.) were high considering the location and ambiance!

dkozloski
07-27-12, 06:18 PM
I've never had a steak in a restaurant that was as pleasing to my tastes as one that I have grilled myself. Nobody uses enough garlic.

Submariner409
07-27-12, 06:31 PM
I don't mind paying a lot for a very nice meal, but I resent paying a lot for a meal that is only just above average!

Others in the old Annapolis sailing crowd love the place - I'll temper my diss with the known fact that every restaurant has an off night. BUT, we're fortunate in having some decent to outstanding (and not expensive) eateries over here on the Shore, and I'd rather drive 40 miles one way over quiet rural roads to have a decent dinner than 15 slow miles one way to fight the urban sludge that Annapolis has become.

I've never had a steak in a restaurant that was as pleasing to my tastes as one that I have grilled myself. Nobody uses enough garlic.

X 2 ^^^. Nothing like the back patio, the Weber, 4 good friends, a mess of steak, fresh corn on the cob and onions, a good bottle of Rotgut Red.

orconn
07-27-12, 11:10 PM
I agree that backyard barbecue steaks are some of the best tasting, however, I have to agree with Kev that THE Best steaks I have ever had were to be at that restaurant around Santa Maria, CA!

Kev
07-27-12, 11:19 PM
The Hitching Post (http://www.hitchingpost1.com/), Casmalia, CA FTW!

vincentm
07-27-12, 11:21 PM
I try my hardest to avoid chain restaurants and try to support local business, every town ive moved to i made it a point to find a local place i can regularly.

vincentm
07-27-12, 11:21 PM
I agree that backyard barbecue steaks are some of the best tasting, however, I have to agree with Kev that THE Best steaks I have ever had were to be at that restaurant around Santa Maria, CA!

Lived in Lompoc, my mom is from SM, i still have alot of family down there.

vincentm
07-27-12, 11:22 PM

I stuff my tritips with rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves

Playdrv4me
07-28-12, 12:24 AM
Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, FL is probably one of the best in the country and certainly on the east coast. Now I have to try some of those west coast places for comparison. Never been to a Ruth's Chris but we have one in the STL metro area I've been meaning to try. Not sure who else does great steak around here.

gdwriter
07-28-12, 02:14 AM
The local grocery store has an excellent meat department, so I regularly grill my own steaks, often accompanied the the crash hot potatoes (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/) first publicized in these parts by Artie.

Growing up, we would regularly drive an hour and a half from Abilene — which was already in the middle of nowhere — to even deeper into nowhere to the tiny town of Lowake, whose claim to fame was its steakhouse. The Lowake Inn was a complete dive, but the steaks were divine. Like a seafood restaurant where you pick your lobster from a tank, there was a huge meat cooler where you picked your steak. I still remember my aunt being served a beer in what looked like a brandy snifter, and she held it like it was the Holy Grail. It's memories from Lowake that still lead me to find local restaurants when I travel. I much prefer a dive with great food over some bland, boring and usually overpriced chain.

Aron9000
07-28-12, 03:43 AM
IMO Nashville has a great local restaurant scene. I can rattle off 10 AWESOME local places to eat within 5-10 miles of downtown. And not all of them are mega bucks like Ruth Chris, heck I'd only say 3 of them charge as much as Ruth Chris.

Moving onto Ruth Chris, there is one in the basement of the hotel I work at. I of course promote the hell out of them since they send me $10 for every reservation. I will say the steaks and food there are EXCELLENT, but IMO the place sucks in terms of atmosphere and ambiance.

Its in the basement, and it feels like you are in a basement. They do have a lot of windows in one part of the dining room, but they always have these dark wood blinds drawn, the rest of the dining room has real high windows like the basement in your house, once again those blinds are always drawn and never let in any natural light. Then they have all this brickwork down there, dark red carpet, dark cherry wood, IMO it feels like you're eating in your buddy's man cave, only thing missing is the big tv and pool table. On a busy night that place is so noisy you can't carry on a quiet conversation, its pitiful for what they charge.

Although their happy hour at the bar is quite amazing. $7 entrees, $7 martini's, $3 draft beers. Its the same quality of food they serve at dinner, I've ate down there on my lunch break 4 or 5 times at the bar, best deal in town IMO for what you are getting.

dkozloski
07-28-12, 12:02 PM
Finding good prime rib is another story. The Turtle Club in Fox, Alaska FTW.

The local prime rib champion for years was Club 11 but Jewish lightning hit the building one winter.

Kev
07-28-12, 12:12 PM
Growing up, we would regularly drive an hour and a half from Abilene — which was already in the middle of nowhere — to even deeper into nowhere to the tiny town of Lowake, whose claim to fame was its steakhouse. The Lowake Inn was a complete dive, but the steaks were divine. Like a seafood restaurant where you pick your lobster from a tank, there was a huge meat cooler where you picked your steak. I still remember my aunt being served a beer in what looked like a brandy snifter, and she held it like it was the Holy Grail. It's memories from Lowake that still lead me to find local restaurants when I travel. I much prefer a dive with great food over some bland, boring and usually overpriced chain.About 30 years ago in Santa Barbara, CA a guy opened up a little taco stand on the Eastside, Milpas St. Very authentic home cooked food. Excellent! So authentic, you could watch his little grandmother in the back, making corn tortillas by hand.

orconn
07-28-12, 12:21 PM
The best prime rib I have ever had was at Lawry's The Prime Rib Restaurant in Beverly Hills. However, the last time I was there dress standards had so declined that the "cargo short and tee shirt crowd (tourist?)" had greatly diminished the overall "fine dining" ambiance, although the prime rib remained excellent!

Morton's in Beverly Hills had become just another place where those looking to impress business clients or prospects .... or just themselves, with their financial success (actual, hoped for, or totally fictitious).

77CDV
07-28-12, 09:08 PM
If you're looking for steak in LA, the steakhouse at the top of the Bonaventure Hotel downtown or the Pacific Dining Car off Wilshire are the places to go!

vincentm
07-28-12, 10:18 PM
Im hungry now..

cadi509
07-29-12, 02:00 AM
What does everyone think is the best cut of steak I say ribeye.....

Jesda
07-29-12, 03:12 AM
I love ribeye, but I buy sirloin because I'm a cheapass.

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 03:22 AM
The prime rib at Jake's City Grille in Eagen, MN were mighty tasty...

77CDV
07-29-12, 03:33 AM
Can't beat a nice, thick, juicy, perfectly seasoned and grilled porterhouse.

CadillacLuke24
07-29-12, 02:23 PM
Prime rib or filet mingyon

orconn
07-29-12, 02:57 PM
A properly "aged" and grilled Porterhouse is, in my opinion, as good as it gets when it comes to beef. Filet Mignon is to my taste is the most over rated cut of beef. While it is tender there is very little beef taste, which is why it is often served with a sauce or other flavor enhancer.

While we are on the subject of taste; there is no substitute for properly aged beef when it comes to great tasting steak.

We have very good beef available from both our local Kroger and Costco. This is what we ended having for my "Birthday Dinner" (given the iffy reviews I read about our local Ruth Chris,' I opted out of a $300 dinner for two there (deserts are not a big plus in my rating system) and chose to wait for the next "Costco Seafood Extraganza" when I will indulge in a fine steamed clam and Alaskan King Crab feast .... prepared just the way I like it at home!

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 03:32 PM
Prime rib or filet mingyonI like how you spell it...

77CDV
07-29-12, 04:02 PM
I like how you spell it...

It's the new dish at the local Chinese restaurant. :lol:

Submariner409
07-29-12, 04:37 PM
We buy either beef tenderloin (filet Mignon) or rib eye (boneless or bone-in) in quantity on sale. I cut, bacon wrap, double wrap and freeze the filet so we get maybe 8 - 10 from a tenderloin, plus enough leftover for a braised beef tips/gravy meal. About the same for rib eye - buy a 6-rib roast and either carve it bone-in or boneless. (We can pull this quantity thing off because there's a decent sized chest freezer in the garage.)

Take a look at www.penzeys.com (http://www.penzeys.com) - find their English Prime Rib rub. Most excellent.

Another prep for rib eye - for each steak,

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt
pepper
maybe just a small smear of plain old yellow mustard - not much.

Let meat rest and warm to room temperature. HOT grille. Medium rare.

hueterm
07-29-12, 05:13 PM
IMO, Tenderloin, well trimmed. Whether cut into steaks, or cooked whole as a roast. (Edit: And served with gorgonzola porcini sauce...OMG...)

For me, ribeye has too much fat. NY strips would be 2nd choice, but are unnecessarily tough for the minimal price difference. Sirloin and flank are OK, considering the cost.

hueterm
07-29-12, 05:16 PM
Sub, how long do whole, cryovaced tenderloins keep in the freezer?

talismandave
07-30-12, 12:12 AM
Good call on the Costco idea Orconn, I almost posted something about going there and grilling your own steak, but thought it not in the intent of the thread. We are lucky here to have many great independent steak houses in town several of them cut and age their own steaks. One is just off the square where Crandalls would have been when you were here. The other is Smokie's still in the same old building on University Ave as they were when you were here.

Sub is right on Penzeys. If you are lucky enough to have a store near you and you at all like to cook, take the trip! They have glass jars of all the spices so you can unstop and smell them. Their seasoning mixes are great for a shake on the burgers. They have such a large variety that I can have a burger every night and not have the same for a month! Favorites are Greek, Bangkok Blend, Trinidad, and all of their Curry mixes. (They have nine.)
Their catalog is always full of recipes too!

gdwriter
07-30-12, 12:15 AM
I buy petite sirloins (had one for dinner this evening, in fact). The local grocery store only sells USDA choice, and I've never had a bad steak from them.

CadillacLuke24
07-30-12, 01:41 AM
I like how you spell it...

I'ms is a college students down there around that there university, and I is studyin's to be a real fart smeller when I gets olders.

:histeric:

I didn't know how to spell it, and my Google-ing capabilities temporarily died. :D

Aron9000
07-31-12, 11:20 PM

I love me a good New York Strip or Filet.

brandondeleo
07-31-12, 11:56 PM
I'll take a good filet any day.

Aztec ETC ECS
08-01-12, 10:48 AM
Ruth's Chris Long Island- AWESOME! Tried every steak on the menu. But I must warn you- they are cooked in BUTTER. Not good for the cholesterol conscious. I practically need to be wheeled out after dinner.

cadillac kevin
08-01-12, 11:20 AM

Pork steak (its a St. Louis thing)

OffThaHorseCEO
08-01-12, 02:08 PM
since we're on the topic, can anyone go over the details and differences between the different cuts?

Ive always been a hamburger and chicken kind of guy, growing up we could never afford steaks or going out to eat steaks. Not saying im rich now or anything, but at least i make enough to go out once in a while, i enjoy a good steak, have visited ruths chris a couple of times and did think the steaks were delicious, but a smaller local restaurant (morgans chophouse) out shone them greatly for a fraction of the price.

My issue is with not knowing what a steak is going to look like when i order it, i just order and hope for the best lol. They ALL taste good but some better than others. If i knew what i was asking for id know what to expect.

This is gonna sound crazy, but one of my favorite steaks is actually at Carrabas...yes Carrabas. its a 13oz Espresso rub ribeye. That thing is DELICIOUS! Ive said it before on FB but, even the fat tastes good!

caymansbanker
08-05-12, 02:17 PM
I ate at Ruth's Cris about two years ago in Jacksonville, FL and it was good. The steakhouse does not compete, however, with an old school steakhouse in Buckhead (Atlanta, GA) called "Bones". If you are ever in the area, be sure to try it.