Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CD Player on the Bose 40GB is kaput.

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Panzer Leader 
#1 ·
2011 CTS - 2500 miles. CD player crashed. Loaded in CD, said it was reading but came up error. Yes I tried many more same problem. Loaded one for 30 seconds and went kaput. Called the dealer going in tomorrow AM. Looks like a new radio will be ordered. I wonder what the order/ship time on this will be? BTW, they can pull the old one when the new one gets in and update XM radio while they are at it. I am sure that it will have a new recognition code. And I had just got all my favorite radio stations logged into memory. Anyone else have similiar problems?

Its the Bose with the hard drive and navigation system.

#2 ·
My radio/HDD locked up on me a few times before it really went bad. (would completely freeze at random until shutting off the car and waiting a few minutes) The dealer reprogrammed the radio/NAV and even though I lost the 09 NAV update, it was worth it because I haven't had an issue with it since and I now have the 12 NAV update over and done with. considering yours is a 2011, you may or may not need a firmware update...

Good luck with your issue, I know it can be frustrating.

#5 ·
We can only presume you used an "OEM" type of CD vs. ones you may have burned yourself? Not that it really matters, but that would eliminate any variables. Sounds expensive, and I know I wouldn't be happy. Good luck with this.

#6 ·
First, the CD player does it on both types. And you are right, it should not matter. New radio was ordered today. I also got them to give me the IPOD connector cables. Basically I am going to load all my music on the IPOD and play it through the radio. I will also start storing music on the HD. Back to the CD player, appearently it is the laser. Then again maybe software. Hopefully it will be corrected never to appear again. My question, does the COMPLETE UNIT get replaced, including the navigation. If so, does the dealer update the Navigation? Everything else works, navigation, XM, FM and AM, just the CD player. Telling me about a week to get the parts. Also said that GM is difficult to get radio units replaced, countless authorizations needed. Thanks everyone!

#9 · (Edited)
First, the CD player does it on both types. And you are right, it should not matter. New radio was ordered today. I also got them to give me the IPOD connector cables. Basically I am going to load all my music on the IPOD and play it through the radio. I will also start storing music on the HD. Back to the CD player, appearently it is the laser. Then again maybe software. Hopefully it will be corrected never to appear again. My question, does the COMPLETE UNIT get replaced, including the navigation. If so, does the dealer update the Navigation? Everything else works, navigation, XM, FM and AM, just the CD player. Telling me about a week to get the parts. Also said that GM is difficult to get radio units replaced, countless authorizations needed. Thanks everyone!
Panzer Leader, the complete nav radio unit (which is buried inside the center stack) gets replaced. Your existing nav screen along with the glide-up mechanism stays - it's not a part of the main nav radio unit. Be aware that the 'new' nav radio unit your car receives will likely be a 'requalified' unit that came out of some other 2nd Gen CTS at some point. That's okay in principle, but note the replacement radio unit may not have the same version application, map database, and Gracenote database software that your 2011 CTS came with. Do not accept radio unit software that is older (i.e. one or more software versions backward) than what your car was delivered with. Suggest you make a note now (take screen photos) of the software versions installed in your nav radio system. To view the Gracenote database version info (i.e. CDDB version) you'll need to go into the system's hidden screens. Let me know (send a PM) if you need assistance with this.

Who knows, at the end of it all you may end up with latest & greatest (2012) nav radio software. Note that my early build 2011 CTS4 came from the factory with 2010 version nav radio software, as your car may have done. A few months ago I installed 2012 Nav update software as well as the 2011 Gracenote DB update.

Final note - your replacement nav radio unit will have a different "radio ID" for XM radio. If you have a paid subscription for XM radio ensure your dealer handles the transfer of XM service from the old radio ID to the new one. If you call XM (rather than the dealer) XM will likely charge you a transfer fee.

Good luck.

#12 · (Edited)
Okay, got it. Will provide instructions in my next post.
If the replacement nav radio unit has older software - the dealer can update it, but he'll have it to order the update disc(s) from GM Nav Disc like the rest of us would, and then he'd charge GM warranty for the cost of the disc(s).

#13 · (Edited)
Panzer Leader... the version numbers you've posted relate to 2011 version nav radio 'Application' and 'Map Database' software. You'll want to end up with at least those versions after your nav radio unit has been replaced. As info, the 2012 Application version is 4.11.0000 and the Map DB version is 14.104.22.053111.24.

The 2011 Gracenote database version is 2548.0. To check the version of Gracenote database installed in your system you'll need to access the system's hidden screens (aka Service Menu). Here's how you do it:
- With your nav radio system up & running (w/ screen raised), press the center stack hard keys FAV + CONFIG + INFO all at the same time.
- You will be presented with a 'Password Check' screen. Enter 3424 and press "OK" on the screen.
- You will be presented with a 'Select Diagnosis Items' screen. Press menu item "Version" on the screen.
- At the bottom of the 'Version' screen (page 1 of 2) you'll see a reference to 'CDDB'. The numbers to the right of CDDB represent the Gracenote database version installed. You should see 2548.0 if the 2011 version is installed.
- Press "Back" on the screen (2 times) to exit the Service Menu and go back to the default/normal screen mode.

#14 ·
Thanks RAB will check it out. This is similiar to the "Engineering Mode Screen" on the DIC in the G8 that no one knew about. It had voltage, coolant temp and transmission temp, and a lot more..... No one knew about it including the Dealer Technicians. Thanks for the input will check it out and post what I find.

#16 ·
Panzer, not a problem - glad to help. So you've determined your existing nav radio unit has 2011 version software on board. As mentioned I suggest you take a couple of photos of the screens that indicate your software versions, in case your dealer decides to challenge you afterwards on this point. If your dealer ends up having to order newer nav radio software for your system (i.e. nav/map update and Gracenote update) he will likely have to order the "2012" versions from GM Nav Disc. :)

Regarding the other functions in the Service Menu (hidden screens).. I suggest you tread carefully in there! It's possible to make changes in some of those menus that could mess things up. I'm not sure what 'Car Show Mode' is, but I'm guessing it converts the map display into something much more vibrant and colorful as compared to the normal/default map view. To enter Car Show Mode you need to enter a unique 4 digit numerical password. I don't know what the passcode is.. but if you happen to work that out please let us know! I've already tried 3424, 1234, 0000, and 9999. There are only 9,996 combinations left to try out! LOL!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.