: I Have A Virus

Ranger
07-25-12, 08:21 PM
At least that's what the "unknown caller" with an Indian accent "From Windows" said. Apparently they have "been getting alerts" that my computer is "terribly infected" and that's why he was calling me. I told him I was not having any problems and specifically asked if he was from Microsoft, and he said yes. The nice gentlemen even offered to walk me through the fix once I went and signed onto my computer. After stringing him along for a bit I asked if the thought I was stupid enough to fall for this. "No sir, I'm not trying to make you stupid", he said. I really should have played with him, but I just couldn't take it any longer. I told him he was a ******* scammer and hung up on him. Apparently they are getting bolder and trickier.

MrHolland
07-25-12, 08:29 PM
Thats very bold!!! Should've invited him over and you all could have fixed the "problem" together.

creeker
07-25-12, 08:47 PM
It's a scam, I've had those calls too.

Ranger
07-25-12, 09:31 PM
The scam was obvious to me, but I can't help but wonder how many unsuspecting, trusting, naive people bite.

Submariner409
07-25-12, 09:43 PM
The scum has lots of time and, unfortunately, there are a lot of fish in the sea ...... one in 100 will bite (and it's usually the poor sucker that can least afford the scam).

(You have a virus ?? Take two of these every 4 hours, drink plenty of fluids and call me on Monday.)

vincentm
07-25-12, 09:59 PM
The scum has lots of time and, unfortunately, there are a lot of fish in the sea ...... one in 100 will bite (and it's usually the poor sucker that can least afford the scam).

(You have a virus ?? Take two of these every 4 hours, drink plenty of fluids and call me on Monday.)

Southern comfort and cherry coke on ice helps with those damn viruses

talismandave
07-25-12, 10:55 PM
My mom is 80 and we were talking about scammers the other day. she contended there were more now days. I contend there were always as many, but in the 40s-80s one con man if really ambitious could contact several hundred people, now the same con can contact how many million a day! Plus if it happened in a city, that city and a few neighboring cities would hear about it. Now with 24 hour news you hear about everything around the globe instantly.

dkozloski
07-25-12, 11:29 PM
The biggest scammer of all lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C.

vincentm
07-25-12, 11:36 PM

Seriously.? This is general discussion. Not politics forums...

talismandave
07-25-12, 11:38 PM
Wow, 7 minutes....that didn't take long!:halo:

Aron9000
07-26-12, 12:09 AM

Oh come on, we've done much worse. Study your history:

Hoover
Warren Harding
Nixon
Useless S. Grant
William Henry Harrison(worst President EVER BTW)

talismandave
07-26-12, 12:14 AM
....and here we go....

tsgrpr97
07-26-12, 12:39 AM
Please let's leave the whig party out of this

talismandave
07-26-12, 12:50 AM
Don't worry...I'm strictly a purse man...

cadillac kevin
07-26-12, 01:01 AM
Don't worry...I'm strictly a purse man...
I thought orconn stole that?

brandondeleo
07-26-12, 01:14 AM
I stole it from him to give to the hooker in my trunk. Put it with the collection in there.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-26-12, 01:35 AM
You know, its odd to see this thread because earlier i read an article about nigerian scammers.

The article was about how easy it is to spot a scam in an email etc. The scammers go as far as to even mention the fact that theyre from nigeria in most of the emails.

The author of the article hypothesized that if scammers sent out believeable stories, more people would contact them in return, only to find out maybe in the middle of the process that they were being scammed. That would translate into alot of wasted time for scammers, not to mention frustration of another mark slipping the hook. Anyone whos spent a bit of time online can associate nigeria with scam, so upon finding out the person was from nigeria, boom there goes the deal.

On the other hand, if the scammer sent out a far fetched story, one that only the most gullible impressionable or uninformed would believe, AND made it clear that it was coming for nigeria (scammer-ville) well then, that weeds out all the smart ones doesnt it. People who fall for these are likely to fall for anything, so by sending out obviously scammy emails, the scammers have STREAMLINED their business...

Crazy isnt it.

SO, the lesson here is, some are dumb, most are just uninformed. PLEASE inform any relatives that you suspect may not be internet "saavy", to ignore any and all emails originating from nigeria or promising money for money.

dkozloski
07-26-12, 04:38 AM
My wife got the phone call where somebody called from Ireland claiming they were somebody she knew and needed $1500 wired to them so they could get bailed out of jail. I recognized the scam almost instantly but the wife said she recognized the voice of the caller. It didn't make any difference in the long run because she wouldn't bail her own mother out of jail.

tsgrpr97
07-26-12, 04:47 AM
I've got a couple emails from "The FBI" that said I better call and turn myself in if "I know what's good for me". Probably want me to pay some kind of fine too :rolleyes:

RippyPartsDept
07-26-12, 08:28 AM
i wonder if they're using things like the mechanical turk or cheap indian labor to make these calls

The-Dullahan
07-26-12, 10:30 AM
I still get phonecalls about my "2007 Ford Fusion"'s Warranty being about to expire. Firstly, I do not own such a car and the people claiming to be from Ford should know beter, as it was Ford who actually purchased the car when I put it up for sale. Secondly, the warranty is still active (for whomever owns it) and is to last fifteen years (as measured from 2007)

bigm57ict
07-26-12, 10:37 AM
Ah. The "Extended warranty"
One of the bigger legal scams... (IMO)

thefonzz2625
07-26-12, 10:41 AM
My wife had something like that on her laptop. She ran an executable from her email :helpless: and then the caller used some personal identifying information when calling her. I'd run a Spybot S&D / MalwareBytes / SuperAntiSpyware from filehippo.com to be sure. Ccleaner is great too, cleans cache (not just web cache).

brandondeleo
07-26-12, 10:43 AM
My wife had something like that on her laptop. She ran an executable from her email :helpless: and then the caller used some personal identifying information when calling her. I'd run a Spybot S&D / MalwareBytes / SuperAntiSpyware from filehippo.com to be sure. Ccleaner is great too, cleans cache (not just web cache).
I've got all of that stuff, and I haven't had a virus in two years.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-26-12, 12:08 PM
I still get phonecalls about my "2007 Ford Fusion"'s Warranty being about to expire. Firstly, I do not own such a car and the people claiming to be from Ford should know beter, as it was Ford who actually purchased the car when I put it up for sale. Secondly, the warranty is still active (for whomever owns it) and is to last fifteen years (as measured from 2007)

Lol, i get calls and letters like that...for my 89 allante!

EcSTSatic
07-26-12, 12:40 PM
In before the lock

vincentm
07-26-12, 02:42 PM
I've got all of that stuff, and I haven't had a virus in two years.

I work in IT and dont use anything and i dont get infected

CadillacLuke24
07-26-12, 03:20 PM
You just have to be smart about what sites not to go to. Still, it helps to have anti-malware. I run CCleaner, MS security essentials, and Defraggler. My computer runs like a champ.

RippyPartsDept
07-26-12, 03:48 PM
Still, it helps to have malware. My computer runs like a champ.

:hmm: does. not. compute. :hmm:

Kev
07-26-12, 03:52 PM
(shh ..... he meant 'anti-malware' ..... )

:coffee:

talismandave
07-26-12, 05:21 PM
Thanks Kev, that one went right by me...:duck:
Good catch Chris....:histeric:

RippyPartsDept
07-26-12, 05:24 PM
:thumbsup:

ben.gators
07-26-12, 05:45 PM
That phone call reminds me of this picture: :D
http://i.imgur.com/SytFU.jpg

talismandave
07-26-12, 05:52 PM
Change Stupidity to Intelligence, build it and make your fortune.:helpless:

orconn
07-26-12, 06:23 PM
^^^ There you go!

rodnok01
07-26-12, 09:59 PM
Hey Ranger shoot me his number... hotter than a bitch here and nothing planned for tomorrow. I haven't screwed with anybody lately and I'm starting to have withdrawls. I like to punch numbers on the phone when they say to enter info. :p

Ranger
07-26-12, 10:05 PM
Sorry, no number. As I said in post #1, the first clue was "Unknown Caller" on the caller I.D.. Nothing would make me happier than to post it, but they are smarter than that.

CadillacLuke24
07-27-12, 02:56 PM
:hmm: does. not. compute. :hmm:

:histeric: Good point!

RippyPartsDept
07-27-12, 03:26 PM
what, no like!?!?

CadillacLuke24
07-28-12, 02:02 AM
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Fixed :D

RippyPartsDept