Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ball point pen ink removal

13K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DevilleDeeman 
#1 ·
I just discovered a 6" ink line on the passenger door panel just above the armrest. I have the shale interior. I have tried rubbing alcohol which was recommended when I googled the problem. It did not help at all. Any idea's of how to remove this unsightly stain?

#2 ·
Did you try "BLOTTING" the ink stain with the alcohol...(holding it on the stain for a few seconds)... with the clean cloth of maybe a cotton ball and it being fairly wet with alcohol??

I have had fair results doing it that way.
Rubbing it with alcohol never seemed to work very well for me.
Then use a leather CLEANER... then use a leather conditioner after it is all gone, to help the leather recover from all that you did to it.

Texas Jim

#3 ·
Hope this helps:
try hair spray (any brand /any 'strength' I.E. ''regular hold' etc, etc." will do but maybe 'unscented' would be a good idea to avoid fragrences remaining too long) just spray directly and close to the mark -wait a few seconds- then blot ...i know it works on clothing... also, it usually takes more than one application but test it on an area of the car not visible to see if any 'ring' is left ...but as i said it's great for removing ball point marks on jeans/clothing, etc. good luck with it all .... SG
PS: FOR THOSE WHO CARE: lipstick stains are easly removed using ladies ''make-up' remover .. :cool2:

#4 ·
The ABSOLUTE BEST solution to removing ANY kind of stain is a product with the name "MAGIC ERASER" by 'Mr. Clean!' This product will remove anything from anything!!! I use it in the car and around the house to remove every kind of stain you can imagine including dry, smeared paint! It comes with two pads in the box, which you wet with water and then use to 'erase' the stain as if it were a big pencil eraser or whatever.

It works every time on anything. I've even used it on suede and it did the job. You can buy it at any Wal-Mart, grocery store and even Lowe's...

Give it a try!!!!!

Chris

#6 ·
Thanks guys and gal for suggestions. I tried each one and get no transfer of ink to a cotton swab or the Magic Iraser. I am afraid the stain may be permanent. If thats the case I may have to look for a dye product to apply over it.

Bill

#7 ·
Bill,
Are you sure you're using the same Magic Eraser product by Mr. Clean, as I've already used it on my car to remove ballpoint ink from a leather door panel and it worked perfect! I can't imagine any situation whereby it doesn't work for you. Remember, you have to wet the spongy eraser, squeeze it out, then just rub it across the stain until it's gone. No need to rub hard, just enough that you lift the stain. Give it another try....!
Chris

#9 ·
Chris,
The Magic Eraser I used is a Mr. Clean extra power. I tried it again as you suggested and the stain does not show any signs of coming off or getting lighter. I have heard if the pen used gel ink that it penetrates much deeper and may not come off. Thanks for the suggestion,--------- Bill

#11 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Eddie, I tried the Comet as you prescribed and the stain will not budge. I am afraid it has penetrated the leather and is not just a surface stain. I guess my next option is to take it into a detail shop to see if they can offer a solution. Thanks to all for your help.

#12 ·
Sorry the comet didn't work. Most car dealers have someone who comes into the dealer who specialize in interior repairs, cigarette burns etc. They have the knowledge how to dye areas to match. In my area we have two ladies who I've seen their work and do some amazing things. I would ask your dealer who they use and contact them before I would take it to a detail shop. Just a suggestion.

#13 ·
Have you tried Acetone(nail polish remover) just be careful with this stuff that it doesn't take the dye out as well. Another cure would be rubbing alcohol (which is safer) just use a conditioner afterward because the alcohol will dry out the leather. I would use a Q-tip for the process and gently rub in a circular motion and than rub off any residue with a damp rag.
One other method is to try a product called Goo Gone, it takes a lot of stains out.
GL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.