Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Should I buy an '08 CTS?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ctsfan2009 
#1 ·
I looked at a new CTS with everything and loved it after a test drive. I'm a bells and whistles kinda guy. The price was way too high though, and the salesman pointed me to a used vehicle. They have an '08 CTS with 55K miles and all the options. NAV too. It's priced at $23.990. I haven't looked at it yet, but was wondering if I should even bother with this car. The warranty is up, and I don't know what kind of maintenance issues I might face. What are some things to consider?

#3 ·
You may or may not have issues with your engine based on whichever engine your car has. Lots has been written here. Basically, it's about oil consumption, in a nutshell.

#5 ·
I can say my 2008 has been one of the most unreliable vehicles I have ever owned - I have a folder of service records that read like a book. Fairly substantial issues, as well. Was just in for another issue (leaking sunroof) today and was commiserating with another 08 owner on all the issues we've had with our cars.

I'd avoid it. It seems like 2010 and later is the point where GM got the majority of the bugs worked out.

#9 ·
Depending on how much you can afford - I had an 08 CTS with 3.6L engine and it had it share of unusual issues but all were resolved with technical bulletins or routine repairs. Main problem for me was a bad XM receiver which took 3 years to resolve. I also had rack and pinion replaced due to a rubbing sound I heard. With 55K on the car, check the Carfax and ask for GM service records and whether you can get access to Onstar diagnostic data. The remaining concern is the timing chain issue with the 08 CTS. The cure was to re-calibrate the Oil Life Monitor. According to GM the timing chain issue was due to people waiting too long to do oil changes. So if you could get service data this could help in your decision. If the cost is in line with KBB values and if you can see detailed service, and if car appears to be well cared for cosmetically, the 08 might be OK for you. But for sure the 08 did have its share of annoying issues. I had a 04 Bonneville SLE that I traded for it and it only saw the dealer when I changed oil. Not so for the 08 CTS. Basically if the prior owner took care of the car(like me) you may be OK. Some CTS owners drive the blazes with the car.

#11 ·
The more I looked at the CTS, the more I realized that it wasn't a good fit for me. I joined this forum several years back when I was looking a a new SRX. They were very new at the time, and I was seeing what others were experiencing. I eventually decided to back off, and forgot about a Caddy for a while. I have had 2 X3's and a 5 series more recently. I'm currently driving a '10 Honda Fit Sport and it's really a great car, but plain as can be. I want my goodies and I can't seem to ignore that. After thinking about it some more, I decided to look seriously and either a new SRX, or a slightly used 1. I really want to get HID headlights, but see that that trim level bumps up the price way too high for me. I test drove a new SRX luxury, and it has everything I want minus HID. They have 1 with Navi and another without. I have to see about trading my wife's '06 CRV and that's what I'll do next. I realize this is the CTS forum, but wanted to follow up. I'll check in after I get my trade appraised and get some numbers to contemplate. I really appreciate the feedback here. I don't want to make a mistake and get a car that I'm not happy with for sure. I have changed cars too often and it's getting really old. If I can swing the SRX, I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with it. HID's aside.

#18 ·
I'd avoid an '08 and '09 unless you can get a really good deal and an extended warranty. I'm also a "bells and whistles" kind of guy and I've always liked Cadillacs, even in the floaty and FWD years. I thought the second gen CTS was a dream come true when I first saw them. Sharp styling, lots of features, and balanced RWD chassis that could compete with the MBs and BMWs. The nearly 50K price tag kept me away until they started coming down on the used market. So last August, I bought an '09 AWD with everything but navigation. Was the color I liked, had the features I wanted, and only had 40K. I thought I had found my dream car and traded my '06 Infiniti G35 coupe in on it. Fast forward 10 months and nearly 10K miles and the car was turning into a nightmare. I had multiple problems with it(radio had to be replaced, sunroof drain leaked into the trunk, sunroof shade rattled, seats creaked, etc.) and had a shudder when making low speed sharp turns for which I had in to the shop 5 different times, yet still wasn't fixed(they replaced front control arms, steering gear, and rear diff clutch plates and still no fix). Reading through this forum has revealed many common problems on '08s and 09s(especially early build units). The poor dealership experience was ultimately the straw that broke the camel's back for me, but I will say that I was disappointed in the quality of the car. I do still admire the CTSs alot, but I'm not sure I can recommend one. Again, this coming from someone who has lusted after one for years! I ultimately traded the CTS for a 2012 Dodge Charger R/T earlier this month and I will say, I couldn't be happier. After having one as a rental a while back then test driving a couple, I was truly impressed with the new models('11 and up). If you are into bells and whistles, this thing has them. More features than even the CTS. Good luck in whatever you decide!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.