: Top Gear ATS Drive

Cadillac Tony
07-25-12, 08:47 AM
Spoiler: They really like it.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/cadillac-ats-first-drive-2012-07-23

concorso
07-26-12, 09:24 AM
The ATS needs to be tested on the TG show. The ATS-V cant come soon enough.

JimmyH
07-27-12, 04:31 PM
Top Gear. :yawn:

concorso
07-27-12, 06:46 PM
Top Gear. :yawn:Its lost some of its appeal, but no other car show has filled the void. Chris Harris needs his own show.

JimmyH
07-27-12, 10:43 PM
Actually, it's not really fair to say the show is boring. Far from it. I just find their sanctimonious attitudes very off-putting. The Stig, no matter how good he can drive, is bad comedy. We have really bad TV here in the US. But compared with British TV, the worst shows here are pure art by comparison.

It greatly troubles me how much stock my fellow enthusiasts put in the opinions and commentary of the tragic comedy that is Top Gear.

M5eater
07-28-12, 01:04 PM
Actually, it's not really fair to say the show is boring. Far from it. I just find their sanctimonious attitudes very off-putting. The Stig, no matter how good he can drive, is bad comedy. We have really bad TV here in the US. But compared with British TV, the worst shows here are pure art by comparison.

It greatly troubles me how much stock my fellow enthusiasts put in the opinions and commentary of the tragic comedy that is Top Gear.
Whether or not TG is a legitimate source that can unbiasly review cars is irrelevent. The show reaches millions of people through conventional and non conventional means. Their opinion matters greatly.

JimmyH
07-28-12, 03:27 PM
To whomever their opinion matters to; I feel sorry for you. Truly.

thebigjimsho
07-28-12, 11:23 PM
Opinions or not, I love the show. SHADDUP!

M5eater
07-29-12, 08:45 AM
To whomever their opinion matters to; I feel sorry for you. Truly.
Chrysler thought it mattered enough to not lend them a challenger when they came over for the America special.
Mcclaren thought it mattered enough that they developed and tested the MP4-12C on the top gear track.

The Times and Nissan thought it mattered enough to plaster them about a certain episode about their electric car, and need I explain the Tesla incident?

They're constantly getting in legal or defamation trouble with what they say on this 'entertainment' show.

You don't have to take their show as a source of good information to compare cars. You just have to accept that they have the largest automotive audience in the world and it's a big deal when they praise a car or destroy it in an episode.

JimmyH
07-29-12, 03:32 PM
I don't have to accept anything. :D

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 05:33 PM
Yes you do.

JimmyH
07-30-12, 11:39 AM
mama said knock you out

thebigjimsho
08-01-12, 11:22 AM
And don't you forget it!

concorso
08-02-12, 04:22 PM
Somethin' like a phenomenon...

concorso
08-02-12, 04:27 PM
Chrysler thought it mattered enough to not lend them a challenger when they came over for the America special.
Mcclaren thought it mattered enough that they developed and tested the MP4-12C on the top gear track.

The Times and Nissan thought it mattered enough to plaster them about a certain episode about their electric car, and need I explain the Tesla incident?

They're constantly getting in legal or defamation trouble with what they say on this 'entertainment' show.

You don't have to take their show as a source of good information to compare cars. You just have to accept that they have the largest automotive audience in the world and it's a big deal when they praise a car or destroy it in an episode.TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. Even with the criticism they levied on the 1st gen V, I know people who were blown away on how good it looked cruising around the track. Life is too short to watch boring TV, especially boring car shows. TG makes me angry and happy... Autoweek, by comparison, makes me sleepy...

gohawks63
08-02-12, 10:15 PM
TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. Even with the criticism they levied on the 1st gen V, I know people who were blown away on how good it looked cruising around the track. Life is too short to watch boring TV, especially boring car shows. TG makes me angry and happy... Autoweek, by comparison, makes me sleepy...

I agree and am glad I wondered if I was the only one who noticed. They really do a nice job with the video.

M5eater
08-03-12, 08:53 AM
TG was the 1st car show I know of to put an emphasis on engaging videography. Even with the criticism they levied on the 1st gen V, I know people who were blown away on how good it looked cruising around the track. Life is too short to watch boring TV, especially boring car shows. TG makes me angry and happy... Autoweek, by comparison, makes me sleepy...

To be honest, their critisims were ones founded in other car magazines (bland interior, cheapness, ect), and they *did* acknowledge that the car was a serious contender for a sports sedan. It just wasn't polished, the styling was very love or hate for that time, and it cost way too much after import taxes.

The only genuine complaining was maybe the bonging, and I find that annoying as well.

I also agree with your boring TV assessment.

thebigjimsho
08-03-12, 09:45 AM
To be honest, their critisims were ones founded in other car magazines (bland interior, cheapness, ect), and they *did* acknowledge that the car was a serious contender for a sports sedan. It just wasn't polished, the styling was very love or hate for that time, and it cost way too much after import taxes.

The only genuine complaining was maybe the bonging, and I find that annoying as well.

I also agree with your boring TV assessment.I agree. They will always nitpick on obvious annoyances. As someone who watches a lot of TG, it was actually a pretty positive review of the V1. You just have to understand their comedy to see it...

JimmyH
08-03-12, 12:00 PM
I would rather watch The Big Bang Theory. Now that's comedy.

exbagboy
01-21-14, 02:19 PM
I would rather watch The Big Bang Theory. Now that's comedy.

Really? I hope you're being sarcastic.

Hoosier Daddy
01-21-14, 04:59 PM
Really? I hope you're being sarcastic.
That's the best come back you have after 5+ months? ;)

Stevo Supremo
01-21-14, 05:43 PM
REGARDLESS!!!! people seem to take TGUK seriously (for whatever reason) and the fact that they're praising a north American car as a 3 series true competitor ( even a bit better) is big, and I'm thrilled to see it.

P.S I love TG.UK.. its just funny and I dont take it too seriously but its better than a lot of the crap we get over here for television.

Hoosier Daddy
01-21-14, 06:14 PM
REGARDLESS!!!! people seem to take TGUK seriously (for whatever reason) and the fact that they're praising a north American car as a 3 series true competitor ( even a bit better) is big, and I'm thrilled to see it.
Are you saying TGUK reviewed the ATS on the show or just the article on their web site?

Stevo Supremo
01-21-14, 06:58 PM
well just the article, they didn't do it on the show (yet) but still.... its another positive review on the ATS, this one buy TGUK, which is odd. I sort of went on a tangent about the show lol

Hoosier Daddy
01-21-14, 07:28 PM
Yeah the article was good. Is the ATS the only American car they ever liked except the Ford GT? Which they couldn't very well slam because the press would have found out Jeremy bought one and call BS.

I was hoping they got around to testing an ATS on the show.

ben.gators
01-21-14, 08:02 PM
In one of their US special episodes, they drove CTS-V2, Challenger, and Corvette, and they loved all three of them. As for the GT, they praised it, however, after Jeremy owned one, and sold it, and bought it again, he made negative comments about the car. Also, Richard Hammond test drove the first gen CTS and overall, he liked it. He didn't like cheap interior of CTS though, which I agree with him.

Jagular
01-21-14, 08:04 PM
Yeah the article was good. Is the ATS the only American car they ever liked except the Ford GT? Which they couldn't very well slam because the press would have found out Jeremy bought one and call BS.

I was hoping they got around to testing an ATS on the show.

Richard Hammond likes American cars, especially the muscle cars. James May and Clarkson think anything made in the US is rubbish.

----------

In one of their US special episodes, they drove CTS-V2, Challenger, and Corvette, and they loved all three of them. As for the GT, they praised it, however, after Jeremy owned one, and sold it, and bought it again, he made negative comments about the car.

Interesting. I didn't see that one. I'll have to check it out.

ben.gators
01-21-14, 08:10 PM
^
I almost forgot that! Richard loves muscle cars, and if I am not mistaken, he drove a classic Charger in one of episodes.

----------

Interesting. I didn't see that one. I'll have to check it out.

http://jalopnik.com/5081442/top-gear-reviews-dodge-challenger-corvette-zr1-cadillac-cts+vand-they-like-them

bp044
01-22-14, 03:42 PM
Why the 2 litre turbo instead of the 3.6

Bullitt
01-22-14, 04:15 PM
Why the 2 litre turbo instead of the 3.6

The 3.6 is not available in Europe on ATS. Nobody knows why (but this is GM known for no-logical decisions in Europe). Hence, ATS is 'barely available' in Europe (only in a few markets) and except for some journalists and enthusiasts nobody knows about it's existence. That's a shame because ATS is a kind of car that would make Cadillac gain some ground in Europe if it was marketed properly. As far as TG is concerned, it's a clown show. Nevertheless their opinions count even if they are complete BS. If they said on the TV that Cadillac interior's craftsmanshift is on the level of Dacia, common viewers would take it for granted. It's a proof they are stupid but this how TV magic works, especially if a show is done as well as TG and has high budget. If I were You, I wouldn't treat TG magazine the same as TV show. Many times have I read positive comments about U.S. cars on paper that were bashed later by Clarkson on TV screen. Secondly, i would love to see an American alternative bashing almost non-existent British car industry, quality of cars they used to make, rotten teeth of British people, Clarkson's dirty creased shirt etc. C'mon America, You can do it! It would be fun.