: 2005 STS Key question!

STS-FSU
07-24-12, 01:26 PM
I have looked through the forum and have found a lot of good information in regards to keys and key fob. However my situation doesn't seem to be covered. I bought my 2005 STS used and the dealer only had the key fob and not a physical key. Recently I decided I wanted to upgrade to the 2008+ key fob and saw great information in the FAQ on how to reprogram the FOB without taking it to the dealer. In the FAQ it mentions you MUST have a physical key in order to do this. My question is this....Does the physical key have to be a transponder key or can it be just a flat key? To get a transponder key cut and programmed I'm looking at around $150. Compare that to just a flat key for $20. Will the flat key allow me to erase all fobs and reprogram new ones? Thanks in advance!

eatyoursandwich
07-24-12, 02:08 PM
I have looked through the forum and have found a lot of good information in regards to keys and key fob. However my situation doesn't seem to be covered. I bought my 2005 STS used and the dealer only had the key fob and not a physical key. Recently I decided I wanted to upgrade to the 2008+ key fob and saw great information in the FAQ on how to reprogram the FOB without taking it to the dealer. In the FAQ it mentions you MUST have a physical key in order to do this. My question is this....Does the physical key have to be a transponder key or can it be just a flat key? To get a transponder key cut and programmed I'm looking at around $150. Compare that to just a flat key for $20. Will the flat key allow me to erase all fobs and reprogram new ones? Thanks in advance!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if I'm not mistaken, the physical key is just a flat key with no transponder. You can unlock doors and the trunk, but not start it without the fob.

I just went and grabbed my key and I can't see how they would fit a transponder in there, but I've been wrong before with GM cars.

curtc
07-24-12, 02:22 PM
I would assume the STS key is a flat key...no PK3 stamped on the base like my previous Cadillac keys.

Ludacrisvp
07-24-12, 03:35 PM
Not sure why you need a real key to do the programming....

eatyoursandwich
07-24-12, 03:45 PM
Not sure why you need a real key to do the programming....

Yea, I was wondering that myself.

Pjazz
07-26-12, 01:10 AM
If you read your manual you do need the key. Personally I would never buy a car without the key.

eatyoursandwich
07-26-12, 02:58 PM
If you read your manual you do need the key. Personally I would never buy a car without the key.

I would say 'should' not 'need'. There are some people who are fine just chancing that their electronics are never going to fail and be forced to resort to mechanical backups. I'm not one of those people, but they're out there.

ddgm
07-28-12, 06:39 PM
Get a key as quickly as you can. If the battery in the car goes dead which is a common occurance in these cars or the door handle antenna or switches go dead, another common occurance, how would you get into the car? The key doesn't have a transponder. You need a physical flat key to program the remotes which is basically a theft deterrant. There is a thread about this and it is in the manual. Canadian cars are a little trickier to reprogram.

Doug

R3TRO
07-31-12, 02:04 AM
When I got my car used, it only came with one key and one fob. I ordered a brand new fob and had no problem programming it. If I remember correctly you put the key in the drivers door while you put the fob in a pocket in the center console? Anyway, I just followed the manual and it worked just fine. I'm looking at my key now and it doesn't look like anything special, just a black rubber cover over the top with the Caddy logo.

EChas3
08-01-12, 12:35 AM
The flat key is a simple blank. There is no security key (resister) or any other sophisticated feature involved.

Without that key, one needs a Tech II to re-match Fobs. Furthermore, if an STS battery dies while the car is locked and the key isn't available, you have a brick, not a car.

rickmohr
08-05-12, 07:40 PM
So...
1. the key is just a dumb key, and if the battery is dead, it's the only way into the car, but not into the trunk?
2. And if the battery is dead, you can get into the car, but not start it?

In the wiring of the last hotrod I built, I used a little module that senses voltage, and when it dips too low
(11.8V?), it disconnects the battery, preserving enough juice to start it one more time.

Anyone ever hear of using one of those on an STS? Sure seems like a good plan.

I had a flat key made (less the plastic), so it fits in my wallet.

ddgm
08-06-12, 09:38 AM
There is a handle on a cable inside the pass through to the trunk that will open the trunk. I'm thinking there is a module that senses voltage already. The car doesn't crank slowly or anything that usually happens with a low battery. When you push the start button, there is nothing.

Doug

Rubbertoe87
12-30-12, 10:27 PM
Hi guys! A newbie here...
I have The same problem! Any solution to this?

Thanks
Roberto

Daves_05_STS
12-30-12, 11:19 PM
Hello Roberto -Are you looking to get an 08 key-fob programmed? I did what R3TRO mentioned a few posts up to my 2005 3.6.
Look around for the details: Key in door, back and forth, detect mode, 2-3 minutes later I had a nice looking 08+ fob remote starting my ride.
Best $30 eBay buy I've made!

muzariaz
12-31-12, 12:10 PM
There are tons of 08 fobs on eBay, isn't there a specific one between the STS and the DTS? Don't wanna order the wrong one for my 2005 STS

Rubbertoe87
12-31-12, 01:41 PM
Thanks for The quick reply!

Here is my problem, im also bought an sts but the last owner only give me the fob but The physical key dont came with and i Want to Program moré fobs, but according with The manual i need that physical key, what can i do??

Thanks in advance, Roberto
Happy new Year!

EChas3
12-31-12, 08:11 PM
If it's a new style fob, the previous owner may have retro-fitted a physical key inside. (I did.)

Otherwise, a dealer can order or cut you a key based on the VIN, as long as the lock hasn't been replaced. Be prepared to provide proof of ownership.

For others attempting to reprogram fobs from scratch, start the procedure with all known fobs out of range and you will be fine. The owners manual procedure is correct. I think the 'Stickey' thread at the top of the forum has a link to an enhanced version of the matching procedure.

I think there's a quicker procedure if you have access to a Tech II.

The OEM 2005-early 2007 style fobs are GM 15212383 (#1) & 15212382 (#2). My new style fob (late 2007 & up) part numbeer is VERY hard to read. I THINK it is GM 25854936 (#2). The underlined digit might be a 3.

After further review, better eyes than mine confirm the new-style fob #2 part number is 25854936. It is viewed by pushing the metal release button and removing the end & physical key.

EChas3
01-01-13, 02:13 PM
Key in door, back and forth, detect mode, 2-3 minutes later I had a nice looking 08+ fob remote starting my ride.

It takes 30 minutes + to re-match fobs from scratch using the procedure in the manual. Adding a third or fourth fob is quick but you don't get remote start or personalized settings.

muzariaz
01-01-13, 03:13 PM
There are so many fobs on eBay, can someone post a link to the CORRECT one?

1BadCadSTS
01-01-13, 03:54 PM
What style? 05-07 or 08+

05-07 is easy

08+ is if it has remote start apull out key blade your set. Must had key modded to work on 05-07 cars.

muzariaz
01-01-13, 03:57 PM
i wanna upgrade to the 08 key fobs, i have the key as well, just dont know which one to get

What style? 05-07 or 08+

05-07 is easy

08+ is if it has remote start apull out key blade your set. Must had key modded to work on 05-07 cars.

EChas3
01-01-13, 04:33 PM
There are so many fobs on eBay, can someone post a link to the CORRECT one?

I posted the part numbers. Check with the seller(s). How would anyone here know better than the seller?

bbjorklund99
01-01-13, 06:40 PM
The dealer cut me a key from a Chevy truck blank because it was about half the cost of the flat key that came with the car. Since we seldom use the key I save the bucks and got the truck key.

Brad

EChas3
01-01-13, 07:17 PM
When I was fabricating a physical key for my new-style fob, True Value Hardware made me a key for $3. Copying an existing key is simple and cheap.