Cadillac Owners Forum banner

cracked seat plastic - which glue?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  billbill1 
#1 ·
I have a crack just above the seat adjustor. I tried superglue and epoxy but they don't work.

Has anyone been successful in using something else that will glue the plastic of driver seat?

#6 ·
If your seat plastic is the same as mine,2006 DTS. The plastic is ABS plastic. Look on the back it will say"ABS".
ABS is very "glueable" with plumbing ABS pipe cement. Remember it is a solvent glue, and if over used, WILL, melt your plastic part. DO NOT attempt to glue in place. This glue is BLACK, and very messy. With the part removed, put a small drop of glue the on back of part, for test. After 5-10 min. scrape into the drop, and you should find the underlying plastic soft. This is what solvent glue does, it melts the ABS together. It dries very slowly, when used in a patch. Any ABS plastic part, like an old broken trim part, can be cut up, and used for patch or support. Black ABS pipe and fittings, old or new, can also be cut up and used. WARNING, if you are impatient, on a slow glue up process, DO NOT EVEN START, with ABS glue. Use round tooth picks to place glue, not LARGE applicator in can. Pull out applicator, pick up small amount of glue, with tooth pick and apply to part. Glue ONLY on back of part. Go SLOW, one crack at a time. Work outside in a well ventilated area. Make a test glue up, with an old broken part, if possible.
I went through this process, on my drivers seat, last week. The part had two supports broken, and several cracks. With the patients, I usually don't have. I glued broken parts back and braced where needed, with broken trim parts. This is a SLOW SLOW process. If you don't have the time, buy a new part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.