: Chrome pillar posts, should I or not?

burkewm
07-22-12, 11:47 PM
I am considering putting chrome pillar posts on my 09 STS ONLY because the driver's side door post is fairly scratched up on the outside, and it is definitely noticeable. I am not about blinging out my car or anything, but this is the only area of the car (bought it used) that has any real cosmetic damage. If i could restore the original condition I would be all for that (anyone know any way to do that effectively and cheaply?). Just looking for some opinions on whether or not to do it... thanks for any input you can give. I don't want my car to look cheesy from how it is now:

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-22-12, 11:57 PM
I would try waxing them first...I'm not a fan of those chrome pillars at all

burkewm
07-23-12, 12:11 AM
I would try waxing them first...I'm not a fan of those chrome pillars at all

I'll give that a shot... Dealer said they waxed it the morning I came to pick it up but they were still there. What wax do you use?

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-23-12, 12:23 AM
I use the meguiars 3 step wax

8323matt
07-23-12, 07:59 AM
burkewm,

Depending on how deep the scratches are, you could try 3M rubbing compound to take out deeper scatches, or a swirl mark remover to take out light scratches. I'm not a big fan of those chrome pillar's, plus who knows how good the finish is and how it will hold up. In my own opinion they stand out to much. I used 3M Di-Noc on mine and it looks sweet. I have had the vinyl on for three years and is still flawless!

burkewm
07-23-12, 03:23 PM
burkewm,

Depending on how deep the scratches are, you could try 3M rubbing compound to take out deeper scatches, or a swirl mark remover to take out light scratches. I'm not a big fan of those chrome pillar's, plus who knows how good the finish is and how it will hold up. In my own opinion they stand out to much. I used 3M Di-Noc on mine and it looks sweet. I have had the vinyl on for three years and is still flawless!

I'll have to try the rubbing compound out. Any swirl mark remover products you can recommend? This is my first "nice" car and I want to do right by it.

8323matt
07-23-12, 04:27 PM
If your going to be doing it by hand try Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 for lighter scratches. I would try this first and see if your satisfied with the results

8323matt
07-23-12, 04:29 PM
By the way, Nice wheels! How wide is your rims and what size are your tires?

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-23-12, 04:33 PM
Burke the 3 step system I was talking about takes care of everything one step at a time...it takes me about 6 hours to do my whole car but it's well worth the time in my opinion

burkewm
07-23-12, 09:03 PM

Thanks. I'll have to get back to you on that tomorrow when I can go down and get a better look at them. They came with the car when I just bought it, so not sure exact details. I'll post them tomorrow.

burkewm
07-23-12, 09:04 PM
Burke the 3 step system I was talking about takes care of everything one step at a time...it takes me about 6 hours to do my whole car but it's well worth the time in my opinion

I was just checking it out online today, probably going to try to get ahold of it and see what I can do later this week. Thanks for the tip.

burkewm
07-23-12, 09:14 PM

What are the actual 3 individual products called? Or do you have a link to the site you normally buy it from? I have read a couple reviews/other forums that have different products listed as part of the 3 step. Thanks.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-23-12, 11:15 PM
Step 1 is called compound(I think)...step 2 is called polish(it's amazing)...step 3 is carnauba wax

EChas3
07-23-12, 11:25 PM
You are already on the 'flash' side of the street; why hold back?

burkewm
07-24-12, 08:45 AM
You are already on the 'flash' side of the street; why hold back?

A little bit yes, but I still think it looks clean without being tacky... I don't want to get too close to the line and then cross it. I'm going to try to wax out the scratches first and then see what it looks like.

curtc
07-24-12, 10:34 PM
FWIW, There are "piano" gloss black pillars available on eBay. IMO, much classier than chrome.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-24-12, 10:40 PM
I bet those black ones are nice

burkewm
07-24-12, 11:43 PM
FWIW, There are "piano" gloss black pillars available on eBay. IMO, much classier than chrome.

Found them, thanks! If anyone else is interested, PM me and i'll send you the link.

curtc
07-25-12, 03:32 AM
Found them, thanks! If anyone else is interested, PM me and i'll send you the link.

Just bought a set myself, $35 is worth checking them out.

burkewm
07-25-12, 11:34 AM
Just bought a set myself, $35 is worth checking them out.

For your white diamond? How do they look? I am just worried the glossiness might be too different than the regular paint.

curtc
07-25-12, 07:21 PM
Haven't received them yet, just ordered them last night.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-25-12, 10:30 PM
Burke I'm sure they are plastic...you can only make plastic shine so much...I don't think there's a chance of them looking better than your paint unless it's shot :)

burkewm
07-25-12, 11:35 PM
Burke I'm sure they are plastic...you can only make plastic shine so much...I don't think there's a chance of them looking better than your paint unless it's shot :)

Did the clay bar and then meg's 3 step today... took about 5 hours, but the car looks absolutely fantastic, and the scratches are severely diminished. Never seen black so shiny in person.

curtc
07-26-12, 12:21 AM
Did the clay bar and then meg's 3 step today... took about 5 hours, but the car looks absolutely fantastic, and the scratches are severely diminished. Never seen black so shiny in person.

And then it rains... :)

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-26-12, 12:24 AM
Lol I wouldn't steer you wrong when it comes to cleaning a car Burke :)

burkewm
07-26-12, 12:27 AM
And then it rains... :)

No, sunny day! But yesterday I did take it for a wash and cleaned the wheels/tires, THEN it rained. Hard. For a couple hours.

Ludacrisvp
07-26-12, 01:19 PM
Washing a car is the most effective rain dance.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-26-12, 03:53 PM

Lord knows that's the truth

curtc
07-26-12, 04:30 PM

Completely agree, it never fails. If I wash her it WILL rain within 2 days, guaranteed.

Charles Warren
07-27-12, 07:46 AM
giovanna wheels, almost look like my gfg klessig 7s same company. and those chrome pillars mess up a car imho. the oem pillars that come on older devilles are nice but look like they belong on the car same as bentleys and any other oem pillars. i like black because it makes the car look sportier, made me go back and look at 94-99 devilles and seen the body colored pillars which dont look bad but probally would look better matte black same as our 05-2011 sts's(sporty)

PontiacV8
07-27-12, 01:56 PM
...hm...my stock/oem/factory installed pillars look very glossy...gloss black...

http://i48.tinypic.com/35cgcpl.jpg

curtc
07-27-12, 02:15 PM
That they do, but some get scuffed up or start to fade...then the gloss black stick on ones are a great solution.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-27-12, 06:04 PM
My oem pillars look the same v8....mine were faded pretty bad when I first got my car...but they come back to life with alil wax and elbow grease just like headlights curt

burkewm
07-28-12, 12:42 PM
They do look nice, mine look much better than they did after just one compound/polish/wax session. Sure they will get better each time. I will probably spend some time doing ultra compound/polish on the more scratched up sections (only a few) on the car in the near future.

curtc
07-28-12, 01:59 PM
Ok, got the stick on pillars today..DON'T BUY THEM! Not a flush fit, and and they stick out since they're so damn thick...I put one on and promptly removed it and threw the rest in the trash...live and learn.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-28-12, 03:29 PM
Sorry curt...that's why I stand behind restoring the oem posts

burkewm
08-05-12, 12:21 PM

Sorry I know it took a while to get this info back to you, tires/wheels are 245/35 ZR20.

Ludacrisvp
09-19-12, 10:37 PM
Ok, got the stick on pillars today..DON'T BUY THEM! Not a flush fit, and and they stick out since they're so damn thick...I put one on and promptly removed it and threw the rest in the trash...live and learn.
So I had already ordered a set of Pillars before this thread started but didn't have time to put them on until after I read this post.
It made me debate doing it quite a bit, but since the dealer I bought the car from was lazy on the replacement of the OEM posts (part of purchase they were a little beat up so they replaced 3 of 4). So the passenger front door post was lifting up towards the front of the car and was really bugging me so I decided that I would pull them off. With the possibility of maybe just replacing that one pillar if the chrome one didn't look right on it.
I actually really liked the way the car looked without the pillars on them at all, its a shame they didn't design the car doors properly so that they could have been not needed.
The pics I took should explain better...

GM should have not had the pointless alignment holes in the pillar and the odd slots cut in the bottom of the pillar.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/7983434170_ba00a5294c_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7983428231_b4e591c66f_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7983428851_9b4062ec63_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/7983435384_195c283955_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8034/7983434834_95ff976337_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/7983432636_5c2c7e499c_k.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8462/7983432018_8e7a95117b_k.jpg

The gap showed at the top is no longer there, I hadn't applied proper pressure by the time this was taken.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8039/7983431600_1bff73f3b5_k.jpg

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-19-12, 11:06 PM
Man they would of looked great without the covers, too bad they didn't design them like that :(...I'm not a fan of the chrome posts but yours looks good Luda..nice job

EChas3
09-19-12, 11:23 PM
It is what it is...

The chrome does look a lot better than the rough or OEM. Good show!

burkewm
09-20-12, 09:21 AM
Thanks for posting before/after pics!

Ludacrisvp
09-20-12, 03:03 PM
Man they would of looked great without the covers, too bad they didn't design them like that :(...
Yeah I was excited when I started prying the pillar off (it's just held on by a few small strips of 2 sided foam tape.) because the front doors don't have the top alignment hole and they were painted nicely too. But then I got to the bottom and noticed that odd cut into it. I fully considered leaving it like that until I started doing the back door and had that huge hole at the top.

I think that anyone that is planning on doing the chromed posts should peel off the oem ones when applying them to this car.