Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trunk Pops Open When Driver's Door Opened on 2011 CTS

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Tbbt 
#1 ·
The trunk of the 2011 CTS will sometimes open when the driver's door is opened. In my experience, this usually occurs after I've put something large in the trunk, like a big box, that's pushing against the trunk lid. I usually don't realize that the lid has popped open until I start the car and see the "trunk open" message, forcing me to get out and close the trunk again. VERY annoying! BTW -- this never happened on my 2008 CTS.

A few months ago there was a thread on this board concerning this problem. I believe someone posted a link to a Cadillac Service Bulletin addressing this issue. I'd like to get the bulletin number if not the bulletin itself to provide to my dealer when I take the car in for its first service next week (they're often unaware of these minor issues). However, for some reason the search function on this board can't find it.

Can anyone direct me to the Service Bulletin on this issue with the CTS's trunk?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Judge, I was experiencing the same mysterious 'trunk popping open' issue on my '11 CTS4 right after I took delivery of the car (Sept. 2011).
Per the info in that thread you provided a link to, I brought my '11 to a dealer about 6 months ago and asked them to carry out a re-program of my RCDLR in accordance with PIC5514B (document ID 2706517). Since the re-programming the trunk has stayed closed - no new occurrences of unintended trunk lid popping. :)

PIC5514B / Document ID 2706517
Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment that the decklid will unexpectedly pop open intermittently. A typical scenerio may be thet the customer opens up the deck lid to put something in the trunk, then close the deck lid and move around to one of the front doors. While pulling on the door handle the deck lid releases.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Engineering has released a new calibration for the Remote Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR). Please update the RCDLR on any 2010 CTS built on March 23, 2010 or later, and all 2011 CTS's with an unwanted decklid opening with the latest software calibration available in the Service Programming System.

NOTE: This in not the same concern listed in PI0185A

#6 ·
I had this problem on my 2012 coupe. It only opened once while driving but quite often when I parked and came back to find the trunk open. On the coupe there is a service bulletin regarding the trunk switch getting wet through the license plate light fixtures. They installed a revised opener switch in the trunk lid and sealed the license plate access. Works fine now.

#8 ·
I recently had same problem with 2011 sedan. Brought to dealer and thought they fixed it...twice, inspecting harnesses and replacing switches but it was only a matter of time it would happen again. This was dealer's note on 3rd work order after problem was resolved:
"Diagnosed and tried numerous times to duplicate but was unable to. Opened up and inspected the trunk lid and harness to body and found no concerns. Removed the trunk lid and found the connector to the housing for the plate lamps and camera to have water in it. Also noticed the exterior lid release switch rubber was deformed. Water tested and found a slight leak around the housing nuts. Sealed the nuts and retested okay. Cleaned the terminals and replaced the switch".
The dealer Baker Cadillac www.bakercars.com was very professional, had loaner cars for me, flexible with my work schedule and never made me feel like I was crazy as I kept bringing it back for the same thing. The third time I brought a video showing it happening just so they wouldn't give up but didn't need to. They kept it for several days and it's fixed for good. **IMPORTANT** - a clue there was a water issue was each time I started car, I had to tap left license plate light for it to go on. I thought it was loose but it in fact turned out to be from the water. All is good now and Baker is awesome.

#9 ·
I've had my 2011 CTS do this on several occassions

I have a 2011 CTS and this happened to me in Nov 2016 and took my car in and they changed some door housing on the driver door to the tune of $643.00 and the problem has started again in within 2 months. I will be taking this car back in
on 2/15/17 to find the problem or a refund. I will report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.