Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Memory drivers seat

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  next2pool 
#1 ·
I have an 09 CTS with the memory seat option. When I exit my car my seat moves back for easier exit. However, when I go to get in to my car and open the door the seat goes in to the driving position that I have it set for and it makes it difficult to get behind the wheel. With my previous car, an Infinity, when my drivers door was opened the drivers seat would stay in the exit position until the car is started. It just seems odd to me that this seat moves to a position making it difficult to get in to. Any one else having the same issue?

#4 ·
sirap said:
I aked the dealer where I purchased the car and they told me that was normal. I find that hard to beleieve. I will be taking my car in for service to another dealer and I am going to ask them also.
My '10 CTS Lux operates the same way. I have just got into the habit of pushing the exit button when I open the door and then select the memory button. The seat movement to the memory setting only occurs when the car has been locked and I unlock with the key fob. I also thought this operation unusual but have grown accustomed to it. Let us know what the dealer says.

#5 ·
sirap, unfortunately that's the way memory recall operates on the '09 m-y CTS. I experienced the exact same memory function on the '09 CTS I owned previously. On that car, as soon as I opened the driver door, the seat and steering would move into their set/memorized position.
With the '11 CTS4 I now own.. when I open the driver door, the seat and steering wheel remain in the exit position until the engine is started (or more precisely, until the ignition switch is rotated out of the OFF position). If you're not liking the way memory recall operates on your '09 CTS, you might want to ask your dealer if he can re-program the memory module in your car using the same code/software that goes into an '11 CTS. Not sure if the GM vehicle software management system that dealers utilize would allow such a deviation (using code from a different m-y vehicle in which your VIN isn't associated with), but it's worth a try. It's only the memory module software that would be getting a re-program, so maybe the dealer could carry it out without GM's s/w management system system blocking such action. Good luck.

#6 ·
If you have KEYLESS locking option(no key) - you can try setting one of the DIC personalization options to ON for keyless locking/unlocking. That way you dont need to lock or unlock the car when leaving or returning. Door will open w/o doing anything if it senses your keyless remote. Seats return to memory position when you use the unlock button on remote. This is assuming your 09 has this setting in the DIC setup. I have it with my 12 CTS. As stated, your 09 is working as designed.

#7 · (Edited)
^ jg, it appears the OP does in fact have the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system (no key) and that his keyless unlocking is set to 'ON' in DIC personalization, given the fact his seat moves to the driving position the moment he opens his door. Yes, the door will open without moving the seat and steering wheel to the driving position when it senses your RKE remote.. but it only functions that way on 2011 m-y and newer CTS's. On 2008-2010 CTS's equipped with RKE the seat and steering wheel move to the driving position the moment the driver door is opened (keyless unlocking).
There was a distinct change beginning in m-y 2011 as to how memory recall operates via RKE keyless unlocking.

EDIT: See correction to above comment in post #10.

#8 ·
Well, my 2008 must be an anomoly. I have the RKE and simply opening the door will not move seats or steering from the easy exit position. The only time they "prematurely" move to the driving position is if I press the unlock button on the fob prior to entry. Otherwise, walk up, open door, get in, press the "1" button on the door, and drive. Now what I think is ridiculous is that my 2002 DTS did not require hitting the preset button on the door. It recognized the fob and moved everything to drive position when the ignition was turned. I am guessing the OP is unlocking the doors by pressing the fob button rather than letting the RKE do it.

#10 · (Edited)
^ ITMan, your 2008 is actually not an anomoly. I also owned (leased) a 2008 with RKE for about 19 months (from Sept/07 to May/09) and as I think back now my '08 CTS4 behaved like your '08 CTS does. I therefore need to correct what I had written in post #7. Correction as follows:

Yes, the door will open without moving the seat and steering wheel to the driving position when it senses your RKE remote.. but it only functions that way on the 2008 m-y CTS and the 2011 m-y and newer CTS's. On 2009 and 2010 m-y CTS's equipped with RKE the seat and steering wheel move to the driving position the moment the driver door is opened (keyless unlocking).

My apologies for having added confusion to what was already a confusing situation.

jghiller, you're absolutely correct - things are working differently depending on M-Y.

EDIT: ITMan, regarding your comment about needing to press the "1" button on the door in your '08 to move everything to the drive position after a keyless entry, that is not the case with my '11 CTS4. On my '11 everything moves to the drive position when the ignition switch is turned, and when that sequence first initiates I hear a beep from the system as if I had just pressed the "1" on the door.

#11 ·
Hi sirap,

As several owners have already (correctly!) pointed out, if you use the remote keyless entry transmitter to enter your '09 model year and the remote recall memory feature is on, automatic seat and mirror movement are indeed supposed to occur. See page 1-8 in your owners manual for Memory details.

I'm really sorry if this is an inconvenience to you, and please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you have additional questions or need further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#12 ·
The memory and exit functions are different between the base keyless entry and the proximitey system. One operates via the ignition key being in the ignition switch, and the other operates when the system recognizes your fob and the door is opened or closed. That's what is confusing the various replies here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.