Cadillac Owners Forum banner

brake booster issue?

28K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Long 
#1 ·
just started happening over the last week or so,my 2008 Cts AWD seems to have a brake issue. The first time i start it in the
morning, put my foot on the brake pedal and back up, I have to STAND on the brake pedal to stop the car...its like the booster (assist)
is not working, but after i pump the pedal a couple of times, it works fine. The brakes are then fine the rest of the day.... next morning,
first time i use the car, same issue..(no brake boost)...there are no lights, no codes (i checked with a code scanner)...
anyone have this issue, didn't seem to find anything on the forum or online?

B

#2 ·
I also have an 08 and had an issue with a strange sensation of a fluttering sensation, as usual went too 3 dealers before the last one said no problem never seen this before but the booster was bad only 11,ooo mile and they replaced it, a bitch of a job for them.

#3 ·
Me too mines does it at stop lights i have to really step on it or the car creps forwards almost hit a few people!

I Replaced the master cylinder also no help. Might try the booster next. It looked like there maybe a small leak between the booster and the mastercylinder but wasnt postivie.

#5 ·
Maybe if we take it to a Ford dealer they can fix it Cadillac sure can't or don't try,I'm shopping for cameras to be installed the next time it goes in may seem a little out there but I'll at least see whats up I'm tired of I can't reproduce .Perhaps you should see the tech when dropping off the vehicle and let them sit in the car with you so they know exactly what your talking about.Service writers are a waste of time and money (the mechanics secretaries) so are most of the service managers they all have the same story we will take care of it for you my butt.

#9 ·
Before replacing the booster you may want to look for an obvious vacuum leak. Use the old tried and true soapy water along the length of the vacuum tube and connections. With high underhood temps, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. While you're at it, check for soft spots in the hoses.

#12 ·
just found some info online.... http://www.autosafety.org/node/246114 ...service bulletin 07-05-22-003c , HARD BRAKE PEDAL ON COLD START AT HIGH ALTITUDES (INSTALL AUXILIARY VACUUM PUMP).. its listed for the 2008 CTS....
so if this is only a service bulletin then I would have to pay to have this done, correct...?? Katie, maybe you could answer that?

B

btw Katie, I am in Ontario, Canada

#13 ·
At cold start, the idle is high. This will cause the car to "pull" harder than normal at idle when put in gear. This does not preclude the possibility of a bad booster or check valve, but it might help explain why it goes away for the rest of the day. Once the engine warms up and the idle drops, it takes much less brake pedal pressure to hold it still. Try warming the engine up for 30-60 seconds (or until the idle comes down) before you put it in gear one morning and see if the problem still exists.

#14 ·
Im glad somebody brought this up, I thought it was just me.

The day I bought my awd 09 I thought the brakes were rather horrible.

Like stated above, I have to stand on my brake pedal at all times when coming to a stop.

Fortunately Im still under my warranty so I may have to address this issue the next time Im at the dealership.

#15 ·
I am having the same exact problem with my 2011 CTS AWD. I've had it for a little over a year. It started last Wednesday and it's just as you described! In the morning, start car, put foot on brake, back up. Then the pedal won't go down AT ALL. Unable to stop the car! Had to cut the wheel so I wouldn't continue to roll. Pumped the brakes and then they started working again. I thought it was a fluke. Then I came out from work that night, same thing. Rinse and repeat for the next day. That's enough for me. My car is at the Cadillac dealership and they are having problems getting the part. They said it's the brake booster vacuum. Seems like this is recall material since I couldn't stop my car! What the heck? This is a major FAIL.

#16 ·
Yea, I think any brake issue should be resolved to the fullest extent when the vehicle is still under warranty. Pay a little upfront or pay ALOT in the end. When I get a day to go I sure hope they will take the time to give it a thourough look. The first dealer I stopped at wanted to charge me $30 for a brake inspection since I didnt buy the car from them!!!
I couldnt believe it honestly (to think my wife and grandmother just bought new cars off of them too). So since then Ive switch service dealers, and I believe as much as they've already helped me, they will look into my brake issue.

#22 ·
I noticed the issue a couple times before in my 08 AWD, but chalked it up to maybe some junk on my brakes. Now the other day I was slowly backing out of a driveway when I saw a garbage can that had been left behind my car, I had all I could do to stop the car from slow reversing speed on a slight decline. Something is definitely wrong with mine. Kinda miffed I didn't get it checked out sooner under warranty.

#23 ·
Hello CTSILLAC,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your brakes in your CTS. Are you planning on getting your vehicle diagnosed by a Cadillac dealership? If so, I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment to have them look into this concern. If you would like my assistance, please feel free to private message me.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#24 ·
My 08 DI started doing this a couple weeks ago. The booster takes 30 or so seconds to build up at start-up in the morning, but is generally fine all day. Can someone please share their solution. Does everyone need a new booster or is a valve enough?

I had this problem on another car before and it was actually the master cylinder.

Seems like a few people have had this issue, but no one has posted the end result. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#25 ·
My wife is dealing with this on her 2011 Cadillac CTS. It's taken 3 trips back to the dealer ship to replace the vacuum booster, then find it's supposedly a check valve.

Now they're telling her she MUST let her car idle for 30-45 seconds when starting it to insure this doesn't happen because of the ADVANCE systems on her cadillac. Which seems completely Unacceptable. What if someone else drives her car and does not know to do that? What if she must move her car quick? What if she forgets?

There's nothing ADVANCED about that suggested solution.

She recently traded a 2008 CTS (with plugged Sunroof drains and Air Conditioner Drains which extended warranty wasn't going to cover) for this 2011 that she has had in the shop for 3 weeks now in the first 3 months she's had the car. http://www.chevroletbuickgmccadillacofmurfreesboro.com/ is going to get tired of seeing her soon.

She's already saying she's lost all faith in Cadillac and she'll be going back to a Ford if she's not treated fairly with these problems on a "Certified" car purchase.

#29 ·
I have a 2013 CTS all wheel drive and have the same issue. When in hi idle the brakes don't work. Slip it into neutral and they work fine. Put back into gear and they don't work. Once engine warm and in low idle they work fine. Very frustrating, I have changed pads, rotors,
vacuum pump and fluid to no avail. Their answer is to let engine warm up before driving. Very frustrating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.