: 2001 deville brake lights

njmont
07-20-12, 11:36 AM
Need some help. 2001 deville no brake lights. all othes work brake lamp fuse good. Service electrical system on dash. no codes. brake switches seem good any advice appreciated. thanks

sdt1985
07-21-12, 10:24 AM
I'm having the same problem with a 97 seville. Mine has two parklight fuses in the trunk that I have power to and I'm about to trace the wiring to the taillights. There is a splice on my wiring on the left trunk hinge that is supposed to be suspect. Let me know what you find. Good luck and may the electrical Gods be with you!

sdt1985
07-21-12, 12:16 PM
I had an epiphany... The tail lights are not going to work in the sunlight with the twilight sentinel. A couple of pieces of tape over the light sensor on the dash and presto tail lights!

Submariner409
07-21-12, 01:04 PM
The OP's brake lights have nothing to do with Twilight Sentinel. No one has answered the OP's question - you went off on an entirely different problem............:thepan:

For the OP........ Your first course of action is to check the brake lamp bulbs themselves - if one filament burns out it sets the message. Beyond that, you're in the wiring checkout business. Do not overlook dirty bulb sockets and/or corrosion of the contacts.

BTW......... Welcome Aboard !!!:welcome:

RippyPartsDept
07-21-12, 01:36 PM
2000-2005 deville tail lights are LED and are not accessible or serviceable ... i would think that something else is going on if both went out at the same time ... fuse/relay issue maybe, or a harness unplugged

Submariner409
07-21-12, 02:58 PM
2000-2005 Deville tail lights are LED and are not accessible or serviceable

That's good to know........So is there a LED lamp driver system ?

RippyPartsDept
07-21-12, 03:33 PM
I'm not very familiar with the system. I think it's pretty simple tho.

JimD
07-21-12, 07:08 PM
Need some help. 2001 deville no brake lights. all othes work brake lamp fuse good. Service electrical system on dash. no codes. brake switches seem good any advice appreciated. thanks
If you have a SERVICE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM message on the DIC, there is a code present. Not all 'external' code readers can display "B" or "C" or "U" codes.

Try displaying your codes using this method:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/172511-how-pull-codes-98-04-sevilles.html

Does your cruise control operate as expected?

Do your fender mounted brake lamps flash as expected when you activate the hazard flasher?