: A little advice on rear diff seal kit

joel903
07-20-12, 07:34 AM
First off, I don't post here much hardly as I'm just lurking around most of the time and reading other peoples post. Recently my rear differential is slowly leaking fluid cause I've got quite some mileage on the car and I came across this while searching online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-CTSV-CTS-V-Soltice-Saturn-Sky-Differential-Seal-Kit-Axle-Diff-/140803913179?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c89135db&vxp=mtr

Is this kit worth the money? Can I get it from the dealer cheaper?
Thanks ahead for any advice

darkman
07-20-12, 07:46 AM
First off, I don't post here much hardly as I'm just lurking around most of the time and reading other peoples post. Recently my rear differential is slowly leaking fluid cause I've got quite some mileage on the car and I came across this while searching online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-CTSV-CTS-V-Soltice-Saturn-Sky-Differential-Seal-Kit-Axle-Diff-/140803913179?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c89135db&vxp=mtr

Is this kit worth the money? Can I get it from the dealer cheaper?
Thanks ahead for any advice

The kit shown includes housing gaskets that would require you to remove the differential from the car. While that may be necessary it is unlikely since these differentials usually leak at either: (a) the pinion seal in the vicinty of the driveshaft up front; or (b) the axle seals where the axles go into the case. These seals can be replaced without removing the differential from the car and with out cracking open the case. Additionally, there is a GM recall on certain CTS and CTS-Vs for a defective pinion seal which might cover your problem.

Can you tell where the leak is?

rand49er
07-20-12, 07:49 AM
Your absolute safest way to go is to call Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac. (See ad at right side of screen.)

He'll know exactly what you need. I wouldn't buy from anyone else.

joel903
07-20-12, 12:52 PM
It's leaking from alittle from both side seals. I was thinking of buying the kit and redoing the whole differential with new seals.

I'll go check out there website, thanks

rand49er
07-20-12, 01:45 PM
It's leaking from alittle from both side seals. ...Does not sound like the pinion seal.

Can you post up pics?