: Anyone here come from a GTO? GTO Vs V1 discussion

M5eater
07-19-12, 11:32 AM
Thinking about another vehicle that I won't feel so bad runing up the miles commuting or eating a cone up with for the weekend autocross. I would love any thoughts or suggestions.

These two, while seemingly at opposite ends of the spectrum are acutally quite similar;
both 400Hp V8's
both ~3800lbs
both T-56 trans
Both 15-25K in used market
Both get 15/23 ish mpg. .
Both practicly cult cars.

The question is which is the better vehicle for a geeky hot-rodder?

Here's my list of pros/cons for the V1 I've come up with;
Pro's
Still a sedan which I <3.
Still a marque that exists, so body parts will be cheaper and more accesable
obviously the luxury aspect
probably the better performance vehicle in stock form
exclusivity
more pratical, I could acutally haul stuff to events instead of taking 2 cars.
Con's
weak rear end
6 lug wheels kills aftermarket rim and brake upgrade options(although they're likely sufficient for my proficencly level and what I'll be doing with them)
More complicated eletronics.
Seats are not as supportave as the GTO(this I've confirmed), and because the seatbelt is embeded into the chair, what are there for upgrade options? Is it a 'deal with it' slide fest mostly?

GTO
pro's
40.8K vehicle production means more aftermarket for everything. That's a giant middle finger to the V1, since I love messing with stuff..
5 lug wheels.. V2 calipers?..yes, it's been done.
Seats are very comfortable and supportive
200mph speedometer. Cuz you know... you might need that
Low mileage units are everywhere, and for a few grand less than the V
I may be slightly more partial to it's styling than the V1. Slightly.
Con's.
Imported car from a dead brand= $$$ for body parts and most everything else, if it's anything like the G8 it may not make a lot of sense for a cone muncher.
The weaker stock handling performance car of the two.
Interior is nice, but it's not CTS-V nice.
9 cf of trunk space means I better hope nothing breaks on-track or take a friend.
I'm essentially getting 'less' for my money as the V was twice as expensive as the GTO but both have sunk top aprox the same price range.

OneFast V
07-19-12, 12:03 PM
How much do you plan to mod my car would be the first question? out of the gate stock for stock the V1 is on a far superior chassis and much more capable unless you are looking for a drag car. Also V1 has better brakes and the potential to stick on v2 front calipers if you want. If you want to keep it fairly stock i choose the V1 if you want something to mod to hell probably the GTO.

M5eater
07-19-12, 12:38 PM
How much do you plan to mod my car would be the first question? out of the gate stock for stock the V1 is on a far superior chassis and much more capable unless you are looking for a drag car. Also V1 has better brakes and the potential to stick on v2 front calipers if you want. If you want to keep it fairly stock i choose the V1 if you want something to mod to hell probably the GTO.

mod to hell into a full SCCA preped vehicle no, but I would be content with F/I, OE brake caliper upgrades and simple swaybars/ coil overs. .

you can put V2 calipers on a V1? Did you crazies get custom rotors made or something?

OneFast V
07-19-12, 01:37 PM
Two options. You can redrill the v2 rotors for six lug or a company does make the larger discs for the v1. I think it all comes down to personal preference but the v1 is definitely a better drivers car. However those gto seats are amazing much nicer for long cruises. As for aftermarket seats some people have mounted seat belts to the b pillar. And as far as seat brackets I'm not sure but I believe they use universal ones. Forced induction on the v1 is getting pricey now that Magnuson jacked there mp112 back to $6600 which is the only simple bolt on.

CadzillaTN
07-19-12, 01:55 PM
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMAG0445-1.jpg

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMAG0614.jpg

QwkRhino
07-19-12, 09:37 PM
Pro- the V will get you more chicks!

caseyschier
07-19-12, 10:40 PM
And when he says get you more, he means, you can tote around 4 instead of just 3 ;)

Scott2012
07-19-12, 11:03 PM
I had an 04 GTO. Loved it. The V was just too expensive for me at the time. I now have an 05 V and absolutely love it. The V seems like a much more solid car, there are some pros/cons, but for me the V is the way to go!

Aurora40
07-21-12, 11:11 AM
I think the depreciation on the V vs the GTO makes the V sort of a no-brainer. It is a better car. That's why GM charged $20+k more for it when they were both new. I don't understand why GTO's hold their value so well on the used market? 04's sold terribly when new (GM made too many, I think). They sat on lots for a while, with many selling new in the low $20's to move them. Now a 40k mile '05 will be asking $20k. I don't get that.

Anyway, you basically said the same thing already. The V is more car for the money. It is. Nothing wrong with the GTO at all, but the V is more car. I personally think it is a lot better looking, too. The GTO isn't unattractive, it's just sort of bland. The V looks mean.

For F/I, the GTO has a TVS kit already made. For the V, the only Eaton-based kit is an MP112. I'm surprised this is still the case, but it is.

CTSV_Rob
07-21-12, 01:45 PM
How hard would it be to adapt the GTO kit to the V? I am Surprized they haven't done it yet.

mstrjon32
07-21-12, 02:49 PM
Con- the GTO looks like a Chevy Lumina.

lollygagger8
07-23-12, 12:05 PM
And when he says get you more, he means, you can tote around 4 instead of just 3 ;)

+3 more (+4 if dead hookers) when you cram 'em into the trunk.

GDPossehl
07-23-12, 03:16 PM
+3 more (+4 if dead hookers) when you cram 'em into the trunk.

Depends how small you chop them up. Removing the tray in the spare tire well should get you some more cubic feet. Installing a drain plug may be a good idea too for hosing it out afterwards. Be sure to spray it down with a diluted iodyne solution.

odthetruth
07-24-12, 04:16 PM
Con- the GTO looks like a Chevy Lumina.

LMAO Ouch but true.

Depends how small you chop them up. Removing the tray in the spare tire well should get you some more cubic feet. Installing a drain plug may be a good idea too for hosing it out afterwards. Be sure to spray it down with a diluted iodyne solution.

You can peel that silver tape away and there are plugs there already... I've been in that situation... I mean uhh?!

Anyway, the V is slightly faster in a straight line thanks to its 3.73 gearing, but it suffers from ridiculous wheel hop off the line.
I prefer the V over the GTO, but both are quick, and the GTO does have more aftermarket options.

Isaacs
07-24-12, 11:59 PM
I was in the same boat about a month ago. CTSV vs GTO. I'm really glad I choose the V. Before making my purchase I took care of my buddy's GTO while he was gone for the military. The only thing I miss about that car, compared to the V, are the seats. Unless you're only going to dragrace, the V is a better car in every aspect IMO.