: CERMA oil treatment

SAveryJames
07-18-12, 10:14 AM
I was browsing YouTube videos on different oil types and came across a video about Cerma they were doing bearing friction test. It's actually called a metal treatment. Supposedly a one time treatment.

I have a 97 deville and I know how much everyone in the past Cadillac discussion section despises "snakeoil" treatments and magic additives. I was wondering if anyone here has heard or had any experience with this product, it looks promising

Submariner409
07-18-12, 01:04 PM
It's only your money. Ask GM and Cadillac (or any other car maker on earth) why they specifically do NOT recommend snake oil.

Stuff like this exists because P.T. Barnum was absolutely correct in his observation on the typical Midway customer. Get into the Cerma site and read their pitch - it has all the necessary buzzwords and testimonials. Please explain what a "synthetic ceramic" is.

(No one "despises" snake oil - most of simply know it doesn't work and exists solely to lighten your wallet.)

Made from ground dried catnip juice.......
Slicker than grass through a goose........

Ranger
07-18-12, 03:28 PM
Good Lord, if that stuff is not snake oil I don't know what is. Sounds a lot like Slick 50.

SAveryJames
07-18-12, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like a miracle oil. I couldn't find anything bad said about the stuff. Curiosity still has the best of me though. When I get my beater car I'm gonna try it and see what happens.

cadillac kevin
07-18-12, 07:06 PM
Good Lord, if that stuff is not snake oil I don't know what is. Sounds a lot like Slick 50.

Back in 1987, my dad bought an 84 blazer that had slick 50 in it. It rattled during acceleration because the oil was too thin. He changed the oil and it was fine.

Ranger
07-18-12, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like a miracle oil. I couldn't find anything bad said about the stuff. Curiosity still has the best of me though. When I get my beater car I'm gonna try it and see what happens.
Prediction:
The ONLY thing that will happen is that your wallet will lighten a little bit. Nothing that most of us haven't had happen once or twice. Live and learn.

ShapeShifter
07-19-12, 10:47 AM
So, does that mean that Carroll Shelby was a snake Oil Salesman for the ZMax Oil Treatment?lol

Submariner409
07-19-12, 10:51 AM
Yes. Same as Andy Granatelli got into the STP snake oil and product endorsements problems with the FTC, Patent Office, IRS, and lawyers.

Product endorsements are big bucks - do you really think all those NASCAR machines pour all that endorsement sticker stuff in the gas, coolant, transmission, oil ??? If you do, I have a really neat bridge in New York City that I'll sell, cheap.

EDIT: Google it all .......... you'll find enough pro, con, and in between to keep you reading for weeks.

If I go out and spend another $12.99 plus tax for a magic gas potion, I WILL get that $12.99 in performance - guaranteed. It's human nature.

ShapeShifter
07-19-12, 10:54 AM
^^lol, I knew that was the answer. Just one of those 'Things That Make You Go Hmmm...'

Submariner409
07-19-12, 11:10 AM
You can get really picayune over "endorsements" - Go out in the garage and put one drop of STP in your engine oil, one drop of MMO in the gas tank. You can now legally state - truthfully - "I run STP and MMO in my FlapfishXRP."

(and at one drop per application, your $12.99 goes a LONG way................)

ShapeShifter
07-19-12, 02:16 PM
I bit back in the late 80's with the Slick 50 campaign. Didn't see any real benefits, luckily, no harm was caused either.

Submariner409
07-19-12, 06:17 PM
I bit back in the late 80's with the Slick 50 campaign. Didn't see any real benefits, luckily, no harm was caused either.

There are several of us old coots in here that have collectively probably spent a small fortune on snake oils over the years. Looking back over time, did the stuff (Wynn's Friction Proofing, Bardahl Top Cylinder Oil for starters) make me feel warm and fuzzy ??? Sure. Did it really do anything ??? No. BUT, I'll be the first to admit there's a couple of quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil sitting on the shop shelf right now. I run it in the air-cooled yard equipment 4-cycle engine gasolines.

Ranger
07-19-12, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I can remember using a can of STP oil treatment with every oil change. That shit was as thick as molasses in January and I was SURE it was doing some good. Yeah, I got my dumb shit card punched.

Don't think that particular flavor of STP snake oil is even around anymore.

ShapeShifter
07-20-12, 10:28 AM
It was only recently that I heard of the Marvel Mystery Oil Product. I'm a big fan and regular user of Seafoam's Motor Treatment Product. I regularly add it to my vehicles fuel tanks, intake systems and crankcases just prior to an oil change. Also, add to the bikes fuel tank and crankcase before oil change. I've seen actual benefits from the use of this product. After reading the descriptions and uses for both products, seems Seafoam Motor Treatment and Marvel Mystery Oil are very similar.

Submariner409
07-20-12, 10:56 AM
Seafoam is a carefully marketed paint thinner/solvent/mineral oil mixture. MMO is a carefully marketed mineral oil/detergent/peppermint scent mixture.

Descriptions and uses are time-honored CYA sales pitches wherein the words may, can, might, should, could and tests show.... are carefully used to dodge your small claims court lawsuit when a product does not give you any objective (not subjective/seat-of-the-pants) benefit as advertised.

Ask your Cadillac service writer about using additives in your oil or gasoline. Or read the specific statement in your owner's manual. Why don't automobile manufacturers (any of them) either recommend or routinely use oil and gasoline additives ?

Will the stuff do any actual harm to the car or its parts ??? Maybe not. It does add to the cost of an oil change or gas fillup with no tangible benefit. If I could dump in a jug of $5.99 snake oil and get $12 savings (a $6 profit) on a tank of gas.......maybe. If I get a total $2 savings, I'm still out $4.

Ranger
07-20-12, 12:12 PM
A rose by any other name is still a rose.

RippyPartsDept
07-20-12, 12:16 PM
STP oil treatment has ZDP so i can see flat tappet N*s possibly benefiting from it

if your engine burns oil a lot it can be bad for your Cats though

ShapeShifter
07-20-12, 03:13 PM
As said, Iíve seen benefits. Iíve achieved reduced carbon build up on plugs, removal of crankcase sludge when changing oil and cleaner exhaust with tips not having that sooty build-up. Only get a slight increase in mpg, but that was not my goal. I sought to reduce the carbon build-up, clean the crankcase and have cleaner exhaust without that huge sooty build-up in the tips. So to that end the Seafoam has been working for me for years, so cost to benefits for me is well within my expenditure.

Submariner409
07-20-12, 04:41 PM
If you have/had "crankcase sludge" in a 2006 engine, you have much bigger problems than Seafoam.

My 2002 STS exhaust tips are exactly the same clean chrome color as when I installed the cat-back in 11/06, so if you have "sooty build up", that's a rich fuel mixture problem. Greasy black exhaust tips are oil consumption; fluffy black is excessively rich fuel ratio.

Please quote the 2006 owner's manual on the subject of using fuel and oil additives. Anyone ???

I'm not knocking your allegiance to Seafoam products, only their actual mechanical benefit, other than buying you part of the sticker on the side of Car 42 at Talladega. (I raced professionally for Triumph Motor(cycle) Corporation for years, so I fully understand the value of sponsorship and endorsements............)

look real hard...............

Submariner409
07-20-12, 04:55 PM
In order to lighten up the discussion, there IS a cheap solution to the CTS exhaust pipe tip fluffies..................

talismandave
07-20-12, 05:01 PM
I tried Tampons for my tailpipes and did not see any noticeable performance rewards, I found it to be just a waste of money......Let the argument commence....:rant2:

RippyPartsDept
07-20-12, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3TYKOVCM0

Maybe a banana then?

ShapeShifter
07-20-12, 09:09 PM
Seafoam is a carefully marketed paint thinner/solvent/mineral oil mixture. MMO is a carefully marketed mineral oil/detergent/peppermint scent mixture.

Descriptions and uses are time-honored CYA sales pitches wherein the words may, can, might, should, could and tests show.... are carefully used to dodge your small claims court lawsuit when a product does not give you any objective (not subjective/seat-of-the-pants) benefit as advertised.

Ask your Cadillac service writer about using additives in your oil or gasoline. Or read the specific statement in your owner's manual. Why don't automobile manufacturers (any of them) either recommend or routinely use oil and gasoline additives ?

Will the stuff do any actual harm to the car or its parts ??? Maybe not. It does add to the cost of an oil change or gas fillup with no tangible benefit. If I could dump in a jug of $5.99 snake oil and get $12 savings (a $6 profit) on a tank of gas.......maybe. If I get a total $2 savings, I'm still out $4.
My comments did not cite a specific vehicle, as I presently own other vehicles beside the 06 CTS, and over the years have used the product on vehicles I no longer own. However, I must admit the use of the term sludge is probably not the best description for the residue that was drained with the crankcase oil for some of these vehicles. As far as the correcting the sooty looking exhaust tips go....well if rich fuel mixture was suppose to be the problem, no changes were ever made to correct that, I only the used Seafoam and the problem was cured. So I naturally attributed the successful results to its use.

In regards to fuel additives for the CTS, my Owners Manual states; "your GM Dealer has additives that will help correct and prevent most deposit-related problems." The CTS Manual does state not to use engine oil additives. I do not add the product to the oil and then continue routine daily driving...just add a 1/3 can to a warm engine, then drive total of 15-20 miles, return home and then drain and add new oil and filter. This has been my procedure over the years with no ill effects to date.

Heck, I don't take offense to any criticism or dislikes to any product that I choose to use, especially one I don't own or profit from.lol. I certainly like what I read about MMO, and who knows, I may well try that product in future.

I'm the guy who definitely believes in, "each man to his own poison.":)

In order to lighten up the discussion, there IS a cheap solution to the CTS exhaust pipe tip fluffies..................
Likely to get better results in a different orifice.lol

Ranger
07-20-12, 10:03 PM
The term "sludge " is an old term carried over from decades ago when it WAS prevalent and the additive companies LOVE to use it to scare people into thinking that their product is necessary to preserve our beloved cars.

Several years ago I pulled the oil pan off my wife's DD, a '96 Bonneville 3800 at well over 100K because the pan was oily and I wanted to replace the gasket. I wish I had taken pictures. The inside of the pan was no different than the inside of a trans pan. Nothing more than a film, and it had never seen so much as a drop of any type of additive. Just oil at regular intervals. No favorite brand, just what ever was on sale, usually Walmart SuperTech.

concorso
07-22-12, 07:38 PM
Greasy black exhaust tips are oil consumption; fluffy black is excessively rich fuel ratio.
Ive had 3 CTS and each have had dusty black tips, but not oily. I havent had the 3rd checked, but was told by the dealer that the 1st 2 were working within their proper parameters. Seems the stock tune is very rich.