: Engine codes..

ctsvdubbz
07-17-12, 02:41 PM
Multiple random misfire code... And a po101 code... Jw where I should start... Can def feel a misfire and won't stay running..

darkman
07-17-12, 03:14 PM
See attached.

ctsvdubbz
07-18-12, 06:38 PM
changed plugs n wires.. still is doing exact same thing.. have a friend with a code reader coming over now.. its ticking and wont idle..

darkman
07-18-12, 06:51 PM
changed plugs n wires.. still is doing exact same thing.. have a friend with a code reader coming over now.. its ticking and wont idle..

The P0101 is not a multiple random misfire code, it is rather and error related to the Mass Airflow sensor (MAF). As indicated in the literature it can also involve the Manifold Atmospheric Pressure sensor (MAP) because the error code means that the computer (PCM) is expecting a different MAF reading than it is seeing based operating conditions reported by the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) and the MAP. In any event, I would not expect plugs or wires to have anything to do with this code.

ctsvdubbz
07-18-12, 07:00 PM
it gave me a p0300 code too... and was misfiring.. so i started there they coulda used changed anyway.. would i also tick with this code.. few people say could be a valve or something.. not looking forward to having the valves done.. so i'm hoping it is something with the map or maf sensor... how do i start trouble shooting?

2007ThunderV
07-18-12, 07:04 PM
start with the basic, check for vaccum leaks, loose wires, melted wires ect
is the car stock?

ctsvdubbz
07-18-12, 07:11 PM
yes all stock.. 89,000 miles.. how would i notice a vaccum leak??

2007ThunderV
07-18-12, 08:36 PM
with engine runniing spay a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner all along the intake, vacum lines ect and listing for change in engine rpm
a vacum leak will cause leans codes,and cause the maf to go wonky, and it will cause idle missfires

ctsvdubbz
07-18-12, 09:33 PM
Cylinder 3 was misfiring bad and no power to the coil... I'm hoping the bad coil triggered the maf code... New coil will be here tomorrow.. So I'm thinking that may be my issue..

ctsvdubbz
07-19-12, 05:51 PM
Never mind... Not a coil.. Put a new coil on I same issue... Fr some reason no power to the cylinder 3 coil...

darkman
07-19-12, 06:57 PM
Never mind... Not a coil.. Put a new coil on I same issue... Fr some reason no power to the cylinder 3 coil...

You could swap the passenger side coil bank (set of 4) with the driver's side coil bank. If the problem changes sides the problem is particular to the wiring on that bank of coils; if the problem stays on cylinder 3, the problem lies upstream of the of the coil banks.

ctsvdubbz
07-20-12, 04:46 PM
Gonna do a compression test.. To see if it's a valve issue... I really hope it's not a cam issue.. A guy at the dealership says he's done a few ls6s lately that the cam chipped... I find it a little hard to beleive but who knows... Don't wanna pull the valve cover and start looking around unless it's absolutely necessary...

GDPossehl
07-20-12, 11:29 PM
How did this go from a MAF issue to a valve issue? Have you cleaned the MAF?

The ticking could also be a clogged lifter.

I've never heard of a "chipped" cam on these roller lifter engines.

ctsvdubbz
07-21-12, 06:16 PM
I tried everything. I could think... Swapped coils, injectors, checked injectors.. Didn't clean the maf... The maf wouldn't make cylinder 3 a complete dead cylinder... Gotta compression test it to see where to go next...

ctsvdubbz
07-21-12, 06:17 PM
New plugs, wires, oil ,

GDPossehl
07-21-12, 09:53 PM
Cleaning the MAF is easier than any other thing you've mentioned. Are you avoiding it for some reason? Electronic parts on cars cause some strange symptoms sometimes.

ctsvdubbz
07-21-12, 10:33 PM
I'll try it... I just figured the Horrible miss was triggering that...

ctsvdubbz
07-23-12, 07:25 PM
Got 0 compression on cylinder 3.. 5 n 7 both have around 150.. Any ideas now???

ctsvdubbz
07-23-12, 07:30 PM
Pulled the valve cover... See a broken valve spring... What else should I be looking for

ctsvdubbz
07-23-12, 07:42 PM
Got the valve cover off... First thing I can see is a broken valve spring... What do I do from here

darkman
07-23-12, 07:46 PM
Pulled the valve cover... See a broken valve spring... What else should I be looking for

You need to determine: (a) whether the valve is bent from hitting the piston while "unsprung"; (b) whether the top of the piston is damaged or there is any metal debris; and (c) whether any other parts are broken or bent such as the pushrod.

I would also consider upgrading all of the valve springs.

ctsvdubbz
07-31-12, 09:48 PM
Put air in the cylinder... Took a Lil for the valve to seat put a new spring in.. And now it's ticking... Doing another compression test.. I think it dropped enough to cause damage... So I guess it's time to pull the head off and see..