: 96 Deville Need Help! Code P0171

anggarci
12-04-04, 09:29 PM
DTC P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 has been causing a service engine light to come on. I know there is a fuel line recall for my vehicle. My questions are:
1) Does anyone know if the fuel line recall and this code is related?
2) If the code and the recall are not related what coud be causing this?
3) Is it safe to drive the vehicle?
4) Does the dealership usually give a rental car out if it takes more than a day for the recall?

Thanks for anyone's help... :confused:

Ranger
12-04-04, 10:20 PM
1) I don't think they are related.
2) I'm not sure. I'll leave this one to someone more knowledgable.
3) I don'tthink safety is an issue.
4) No rental. It should take less than an hour (I was in and out in :45 min.)

anggarci
12-09-04, 07:02 PM
Going in tomorrow to have the fuel line changed out.
Weird thing is that the DTC doesn't come on every day, I clear it and it doesn;t come back for a couple weeks. ANy one have any ideas? :welcome:

LCLCLC
12-09-04, 11:17 PM
P0171. From my 1997 manual:

Important: An improperly installed air cleaner or ... air duct may cause this to set. ...or possible debris in the air cleaner assembly or the MAF sensor inlet screen that may distort air flow. Air leak after MAF.

Some other 'general' area:
Vacumn hoses for splits, kinks, disconnections.
Throttle body, intake maifold, and EGR valve for vacumn leaks.
Crankcase ventiliation valve and system for leaks - missing oil fill cap or dipstick.

Bank 1 (not sure where this. Left {front} bank of cylinders?) exhaust leaks.
Bank 1 Heated O2 Sensor (HO2S) is installed tight, or electrical wires burned on exhaust or near ignition wires. I think this Oxygen sensor is on the rear of motor, on rear exhaust manifold.
Vacumn leaks that only effect Bank 1. Intake, injector O rings, etc.

[Has someone been under the hood lately? Changed oil? Air cleaner? Dipstick or oil cap gone? Look around for loose hoses, etc.]

anggarci
12-17-04, 12:00 AM
thanks for the info will chek things out, thanks again... :)

anggarci
12-17-04, 01:12 PM
:mad: Now this.
On my way home the DIC started to display service charging system and service emmisions system. I checked the volts and it read 10.5 and went all the way down to 9.1 volts. Needless to say I barely made it home.

These codes are now poping up:
DTC P0131 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
DTC P0560 System Voltage

The service charging system light appeared a few months ago and so I replaced the alternator and the battery. I have cleaned the battery terminals and made sure of good contact.

1) What else could be causing the charging system to go bad?

I bought the car used 2 1/2 years ago, still under warrenty for $10,000 and 101,000 miles for an old timer. I then spent another $2000 for and extended warrenty after the last one ran out. My extended warrently expired at 136,000 miles. I have 160,000 miles on the car now and have spent roughly $20,000 total on the car.

The car has been paid off for the last six months. Is this car worth keeping? My struggle is that the car has been paid for and now is practically brand new as it has new parts all around. Includeing: roters, brakes, transmission, resealed engine with time certs, radiator, PCM, starter, battery, alternator, tires, water pump, belts, hoses, ride height sensor, control module, some new fuel injectors, just to name a few things. Should I sell once the charging system and emmision system is fixed or can I even get anything out of the car with this much miles on it?

Any advise? :welcome: