: Load Leveling Suspension concern

latrae75
07-16-12, 01:22 PM
I own a 2008 Escalade with the 22" wheel option, which to my understanding comes with the magnetic ride option in conjunction with the standard load leveling suspension. I have been noticing that when my truck is in "Park" for a few minutes with the engine running, the rear shocks seem to have deflated the air in them (I have reached in to squeeze them). When the truck is placed back in "Drive", the shocks fill back up with air, and are stiff to the touch. I have also noticed that the '07 and newer Escalades do not have the aggresive raked stance with the tail slightly higher than the nose (which I liked) that my old '04 Escalade had. It looks like every new Escalade ('07 and up) rides around burdened by excessive weight in the back when viewed from the side, in comparisson to the second generation Escalades ('02-'06). I had an issue once with my '04 Escalade while towing a car with a Uhaul auto transport trailer with the air being released out of the rear shocks while towing on the interstate. My question is, is this normal for my '08 Escalade to deflate the shocks while in Park when the engine is still running. I understand them releasing when the truck is turned off and sitting for an extended period of time. Or is this going to be an issue later on down the road as what happened to my old '04 Escalade. Can anyone shed some light on all of this?

hcvone
07-16-12, 01:29 PM
I own a 2008 Escalade with the 22" wheel option, which to my understanding comes with the magnetic ride option in conjunction with the standard load leveling suspension. I have been noticing that when my truck is in "Park" for a few minutes with the engine running, the rear shocks seem to have deflated the air in them (I have reached in to squeeze them). When the truck is placed back in "Drive", the shocks fill back up with air, and are stiff to the touch. I have also noticed that the '07 and newer Escalades do not have the aggresive raked stance with the tail slightly higher than the nose (which I liked) that my old '04 Escalade had. It looks like every new Escalade ('07 and up) rides around burdened by excessive weight in the back when viewed from the side, in comparisson to the second generation Escalades ('02-'06). I had an issue once with my '04 Escalade while towing a car with a Uhaul auto transport trailer with the air being released out of the rear shocks while towing on the interstate. My question is, is this normal for my '08 Escalade to deflate the shocks while in Park when the engine is still running. I understand them releasing when the truck is turned off and sitting for an extended period of time. Or is this going to be an issue later on down the road as what happened to my old '04 Escalade. Can anyone shed some light on all of this?

Pretty sure in 08' the only magnetic ride shocks were on the platinum. All 2007 and up Escalade's sit higher in the rear by at least 2", many including myself have replaced the springs to lower the rear to match the front. It sounds like you have a leak in the tubing or blatter of the shocks

latrae75
07-16-12, 01:49 PM
Oh, ok thanks. But I read the sticker, and it stated that with the 22" wheel option from the factory, the magnetic ride shocks come installed with the 22" wheel option. But they are standard on the Platinum. But as far as the hieght, it sits a little higher in the back, just not as pronounced as the second generation Escalades do. So your saying that the shocks should not deflate when the truck is turned off or in Park? I just want to make sure what actions I need to take, if any.

quattrotman
07-16-12, 02:47 PM
Oh, ok thanks. But I read the sticker, and it stated that with the 22" wheel option from the factory, the magnetic ride shocks come installed with the 22" wheel option. But they are standard on the Platinum. But as far as the hieght, it sits a little higher in the back, just not as pronounced as the second generation Escalades do. So your saying that the shocks should not deflate when the truck is turned off or in Park? I just want to make sure what actions I need to take, if any.

The magnetic ride (Which I had on my 07 til I took them out)is not related to the leveling system. They are different sensors. The bags are on the shocks but the magnetic function isnt related to levelling. However, they will(mine does anyways) deflate when the truck is in park or off. It's normal as far as I know. As far as the height/rake goes...mine was sky high in the rear until I put in shorter springs. 07+ all look really high in the rear to me...but it's an easy fix if you don't like it.

hcvone
07-16-12, 02:50 PM

They will leak down over time but should not deflate once you turn the truck off. You could turn the truck off and get under it in the rear and look and listen for any air leakage around the rear shocks and compressor

latrae75
07-16-12, 06:01 PM
They don't release the air right away. It usually takes about 5 minutes after the truck is turned off. So based off of what everyone says, I should be ok, with nothing to worry about. Thanks for your help.

evois
07-16-12, 06:06 PM
Since we are on this topic, is the difference of magnetic ride control noticeable? I have the 2009 hybrid and it comes with the magnetic ride control standard as well but don't notice anything. Anything I should look or feel to know if it is working properly?

Hymak
07-16-12, 06:55 PM
All 2007 and up Escalade's sit higher in the rear by at least 2", many including myself have replaced the springs to lower the rear to match the front.
Do you have a link you can share with me for just the 2" rear drop... I have only seen kits that drop frot and rear... I only want to level the rear and have the front stay the same hight.

hcvone
07-16-12, 07:23 PM
Do you have a link you can share with me for just the 2" rear drop... I have only seen kits that drop frot and rear... I only want to level the rear and have the front stay the same hight.

I used Eibach 5305 springs that is what I used on the rear on my 12' to even the front and rear, they do sell them by themselves, not sure if they list them by themselves

hcvone
07-16-12, 07:24 PM
Since we are on this topic, is the difference of magnetic ride control noticeable? I have the 2009 hybrid and it comes with the magnetic ride control standard as well but don't notice anything. Anything I should look or feel to know if it is working properly?

I thought it was night and day difference, not nearly as harsh of a ride IMO

Hymak
07-16-12, 09:40 PM
I used Eibach 5305 springs that is what I used on the rear on my 12' to even the front and rear, they do sell them by themselves, not sure if they list them by themselves

thanks for the info

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-12, 12:59 PM
We're glad to see you got such helpful information from the Cadillac community here, latrae75. If you should ever like for us to look into something for you (recalls, warranty information, working with a dealership on a vehicle concern), please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service