: 2006 STS "Fob not detected"

B_n_Cat_or_Vett
07-16-12, 10:36 AM
Do anyone have experience with Fob not detected issues. I got locked out of my STS twice while on vacation out of town. All batteries check good, and the car is under warranty until the end of next month. The car dealership checked out the car, and could not find anything wrong. They can't replace anything until the system dies and points to the problem. What kind of service is that? Can anyone help or have experience with Fob not detected issues? I've had this car for over five years and this is the first time I can't trust leaving town in the STS.

C&C
07-16-12, 11:37 AM
I had a FOB not detected (in a downtown Atlanta parking garage); I had to open the car with the key and put the FOB in the special slot in the console. After getting out of that garage; no further problems. You could have a faulty door antenna or could be getting electrical interference (as I was) if this happens in the same place.

dannyquest
07-16-12, 11:52 AM
Sound like a door micro switch is starting to go bad. It may take a while for it to die. Then your warrenty will be gone. Let your Cadillac dealer know this is a common problem. Maybe they will replace it. I had some service picked up by Cadillac after my warrenty has expired. Good luck. Danny

Midnight
07-16-12, 12:31 PM
Try switching any cell phone to airplane mode next time it happens, just to rule out interference.

MacMuse
07-16-12, 07:09 PM
Yeah the phone mention is worth a shot. We covered this a month or so ago and I realized a cell/smartphone in the same pocket/purse as the fob will interfere with the car's ability to see the fob as expected.

Just something to verify...

LiquidTrader
07-17-12, 12:08 AM
I know exactly how that goes. Happened to me moving across the country. Had to call a locksmith to open it as my key was in the moving truck.

The problem was my Bluetooth on my iPhone was on and causing interference. Turned that off and haven't had a problem since.

B_n_Cat_or_Vett
07-17-12, 08:24 PM
This forum is great, so thanks for the feedback it's just what I needed. My dealership called me to let me know that they decideded to replace the door antenna/receiver. I feel like maybe I will be able to trust my STS again:thumbsup: We now know some things to try if this happens again.

1harleyman
07-19-12, 11:38 AM
what special slot in console, I just bought an'06 with out a manual and don't know anything about a special slot

curtc
07-19-12, 01:29 PM
Maybe he's referring to that small storage compartment under the climate control...

dkozloski
07-19-12, 02:10 PM
In the console between the seats there is a small pocket built into the bottom where you can place the fob and start the car even though the battery may be very weak or dead.

eatyoursandwich
07-19-12, 02:22 PM
In the console between the seats there is a small pocket built into the bottom where you can place the fob and start the car even though the battery may be very weak or dead.

Haha, I've always wondered what that was for. I just put quarters in it.

1harleyman
07-19-12, 04:21 PM
Thank you , even the dealer said I would be dead in the water, shows what they know.

EChas3
07-19-12, 08:30 PM
Glad to hear you're getting treated right. I've had good experience in getting intermittant issues resolved even after the warranty expires, as long as the issue appears on a work order while under warranty.