: Driving the ATS Tomorrow- post questions/pic requests now

Cadillac Tony
07-16-12, 09:41 AM
Like it says, I'll be driving several models (hopefully all 3 engines) of the ATS tomorrow. If there's anything you'd like pictures of or any specific things you'd like me to look for, post them up now.

Just like at the XTS event, I'll be updating throughout the day with impressions and pics.

C&C
07-16-12, 12:26 PM
If Cadillac wants to be taken seriously, apart from a great performance sedan, they'll need great seats (at least for the driver); could you make notice on how they've done (in this area), thanks.

investor74
07-16-12, 01:25 PM
Looking forward to the review. Everything I hear is that the trunk is pretty small. Could you comment on that? I understand there is an under the floor compartment, will it hold a compact spare? Thanks.

Also, could you comment on how smooth the ride is.

buttfish77
07-16-12, 01:55 PM
Just take lots and lots of pictures -- especially of the 2.0T model with MT.

danscrim
07-16-12, 04:49 PM
Could you let us know how the CUE interface is? Everything looks nice, but it appears a bit laggy in some of the videos.

Also, let us know how the gauges look in person. I'm pretty bummed out that they won't be offering the 12.3" reconfigurable cluster like they do on the XTS, so I'm interested how the standard gauges look.

Enjoy!

magneticR1de
07-16-12, 06:10 PM
2.0T. Cabin noise at speed. Composure at speed (does it feel "buttoned down").
Engine note, windows up and down. Feel and quality of interior materials. I'm sure you'll
cover other concerns in your feedback about handling and whether it was
fun to drive. Thanks.

ddawson
07-16-12, 07:27 PM
I hope they have the red exterior, with the black and red upholstery. If they do, please give me your opinion on the combination.

blkcaddy
07-16-12, 08:27 PM
Your opinion on the placement of the single rear exhaust on the 2.5L viewed in person. Does it look like Cadillac meant to leave it toward the middle or did they leave it to save time and money on design and fitment? Your thoughts after viewing in person.

blkcaddy
07-16-12, 08:32 PM
Also can you see if that bottom plastic piece of the rear bumper is removable or all one piece with the bumper. Wondering if that unpainted piece can be removed and changed for custom fitment of dual exhaust on 2.5L.

2004ctsv
07-16-12, 08:36 PM
If by chance the 2.0T is available, check for low and mid range turbo lag.
Play with CUE and comment on it.

T

Cadillac Tony
07-16-12, 09:44 PM
I've already played with CUE extensively in the XTS, and it's great.

Capabilities are outstanding, but there is some slight lag in areas, mainly when pinch zooming the map or dragging icons around on the home screen. It all works great, but lacks some of the elegance that Apple devices have in their smooth scrolling and zooming. FWIW, I feel the same way about Android products, so your mileage may vary there.

lexterminator
07-16-12, 11:25 PM
I would like to get your impressions about the 2.5 vs the 3.6, those would be the ones I would consider since I don't like turbo engines, I prefer non turbo cars and in this case will try and consider both 2.5 and 3.6.

I currently have a CTS 3.6 (FE1 non-di) and curious to see if the 2.5 feels "adequate" since it's fairly lightweight car. Looking for something stiffer, shorter, smaller and lighter than my CTS so I have high hopes with the ATS. Not looking for high speed, more looking for good cornering, braking, handling. But will still try both 2.5 and 3.6 to compare.

thanks and enjoy the ride !

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 10:32 AM
Red interior, as requested.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/cc48b2f8.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/f2d4936f.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/95d5c02b.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/a6964220.jpg

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 10:35 AM
First impressions on an autocross course are good. The car is really nimble, not a lot of weight transfer in the corners. Driving it back to back against a nose heavy Audi really emphasized the 50/50 weight balance in the 4cyl models.

A little bit of turbo lag on the turbo models from a standing start, but very strong once it gets going. For redlight burnouts, the 3.6 is your choice. 320+ hp and tons of torque combined with 3400 pounds makes for a fun launch.

ddawson
07-17-12, 11:34 AM
Tony, tony tony, you are the best. Thanks for the pictures of the red interior. My mind is made up.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 12:40 PM
Single exhaust doesn't look bad- strange at first, but unless it's parked next to a dual equipped car it looks fine.

I like the size of the tip, and it doesn't look like an afterthought.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/192afe71.jpg

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 12:42 PM
Here's the gauge cluster- same as the luxury package XTS. Interesting thing that I never saw in photos is the clear "dome" over the cluster, which curves away from the driver. Hard to make out here (since it's clear), but this is the best shot I could get that revealed it.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/1ec0d023.jpg

investor74
07-17-12, 12:43 PM
Tony, tony tony, you are the best. Thanks for the pictures of the red interior. My mind is made up.

Ah yes, the red interior! If only it came with wood trim. Somehow the wife and I associate wood trim with "luxury" and some of the wood choices on the ATS are absolutely beautiful. Have to see the red in person.

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 12:48 PM
Any of them with the Carmel interior?

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 12:50 PM
Btw thanks for the pics and your take on the exhaust it was very helpful!

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 12:53 PM
Tony any word at all or hint to when production may start?

ryanwgregg
07-17-12, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know the bolt pattern on the ATS? Want to start looking at wheels for it.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 01:07 PM
Ah yes, the red interior! If only it came with wood trim. Somehow the wife and I associate wood trim with "luxury" and some of the wood choices on the ATS are absolutely beautiful. Have to see the red in person.

The trim panels on the interior are easily removable, and about 6 months after release, Cadillac will be offering all of the accent trims through your parts department.

So if you want to change woods, replace the aluminum with CF (or CF with wood) then that will be available.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 01:12 PM
Speaking of trims, check out this cool aluminum with the "flag" style logos (reminiscent of the V flag) in it.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/b5af7239.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/6bd31218.jpg

ladypro
07-17-12, 01:40 PM
tony which color combo impressed you the most?

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 01:52 PM
I loved the Morello Red/Ebony and the Cashmere/Cocoa. They all looked nice honestly, but those were my favorites.

Other good news- the rear fascia piece around the exhaust IS separate from the bumper. Cadillac will offer the dual exhaust and replacement insert as an accessory.

ladypro
07-17-12, 02:02 PM
tony those interiors impressed me the most also which exterior colors impressed the most?

magneticR1de
07-17-12, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all this, Tony. This is awesome. With all these options and the flexibility, there
seems to be something for everyone. But I've had my eye out mainly for the 2.0T. And my
favorite interior is the Cashmere/Cocoa. With the wood, it is just classy all the way 'round.

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 02:54 PM
Other good news- the rear fascia piece around the exhaust IS separate from the bumper. Cadillac will offer the dual exhaust and replacement insert as an accessory.

That is awesome news! Pretty smart on their part! That accessory will probably be a hot seller/upgrade!

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 02:59 PM
Tony what about the front fascia where the fog lights go. Only the performance and platinum models will have the led extension light and chrome piece! Will they offer an accessory to change that out from the plain black plastic for the people who buy the standard and luxury editions?

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 03:08 PM
Tony what about the front fascia where the fog lights go. Only the performance and platinum models will have the led extension light and chrome piece! Will they offer an accessory to change that out from the plain black plastic for the people who buy the standard and luxury editions?

They currently do on the SRX, but no word yet on ATS. If they do, it will probably just be a chrome bezeled fog light, not the light pipe.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 03:10 PM
tony those interiors impressed me the most also which exterior colors impressed the most?

Sapphire Blue and Crystal Red were my favorites. The light blue was nice (just not for me), and I found the silver kind of blah. Might have been because the silver car was a base model with no pizazz to the wheels.

ryanwgregg
07-17-12, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know the bolt pattern on the ATS? Want to start looking at wheels for it.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 03:14 PM
Trunk pics. Seems large enough to hold two sets of golf clubs or a decent amount of cargo.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/cf394f83.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/eb0b365b.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/fc9b4073.jpg

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 03:15 PM
Platinum/Jet black interior with Natural Sapele.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/4d83e9f6.jpg

blkcaddy
07-17-12, 03:16 PM
Tony will they offer both 18 inch wheel types for the 2.5L? Or just the multi spoke 18" wheel?

investor74
07-17-12, 03:53 PM
Cashmere/Cocoa interior with Natural Sapele.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/4d83e9f6.jpg

Wow, is that classy!

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 04:42 PM
Correction- that is the Light Titanium seat and Jet Black upper accent, as Cashmere/cocoa is not available on ATS.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 04:44 PM
Tony will they offer both 18 inch wheel types for the 2.5L? Or just the multi spoke 18" wheel?

The machine finished, split spoke is the only 18" wheel available on the 2.5L. The polished, straight spoke 18" wheel is only offered on 2.0T and 3.6L Performance and Premium Collections.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 04:56 PM
Looking forward to the review. Everything I hear is that the trunk is pretty small. Could you comment on that? I understand there is an under the floor compartment, will it hold a compact spare? Thanks.

Also, could you comment on how smooth the ride is.

The event today focused on low weight and how it translates into performance, so I can't really comment on ride. We spent our time tossing them around an autocross course instead of driving on public roads, so all I can really say is that the level of engine noise while being flogged was comparable to the A4, 328i and C250 they had on hand.

I posted pics of the trunk above, and it seems plenty roomy for the class. A bit smaller than the competition, so there will be no spare tire offered.

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 04:58 PM
Just take lots and lots of pictures -- especially of the 2.0T model with MT.

What, like this one? :D

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/Cadillac_Tony1/6a25b021.jpg

ddawson
07-17-12, 05:01 PM
When will they be in showrooms?

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 05:08 PM
I would like to get your impressions about the 2.5 vs the 3.6, those would be the ones I would consider since I don't like turbo engines, I prefer non turbo cars and in this case will try and consider both 2.5 and 3.6.

I currently have a CTS 3.6 (FE1 non-di) and curious to see if the 2.5 feels "adequate" since it's fairly lightweight car. Looking for something stiffer, shorter, smaller and lighter than my CTS so I have high hopes with the ATS. Not looking for high speed, more looking for good cornering, braking, handling. But will still try both 2.5 and 3.6 to compare.

thanks and enjoy the ride !

Build quality seems better than the CTS, in terms of the the "whump" when you close a door and the general lack of creaking inside these pre-production cars that are being abused HARD every day. The ATS is also the first Cadillac to use a structural adhesive to bond certain chassis components together, resulting in less body flex (and the associated creaks or groans), so I think you'll find it much stiffer than CTS.

In terms of the engines, it depends how you drive. The 2.5L is okay, and compares well to the acceleration in the A4 and C250. If you like spirited driving, passing on the freeway and pulling hard out of a corner however, that 3.6L is hard to beat. It's a proven engine, and having an additional 121 horsepower over the 2.5 (and only 150lbs more mass to move) makes for quite the difference. Estimated 0-60 in the 3.6L is only 5.4 seconds, which is within sneezing distance of my 2004 CTS-V.

I suppose it's all down to which you like better- the extra 3mpg or hanging with turbo 6 cyl BMWs from a stoplight. :)

buttfish77
07-17-12, 06:06 PM
Thanks! And how did it feel to drive compared to the 3.6L? Lots of turbo lag?
I'm thinking of getting a thunder-gray 2.0T with MT and red interior. Does that sound like a weird combination?

cdp
07-17-12, 10:54 PM
I'm thinking of getting a thunder-gray 2.0T with MT and red interior. Does that sound like a weird combination?

Hope not, because I'm leaning towards the same combination. Love the red interior (not sure about the carbon fiber...does it really have red accents or is it just picking up the red from the interior?). I really like the red exterior, but might get tired of it, and don't think it would work with the red interior.

Can't wait to read the magazine test drives. When does the embargo end!? It's killing me!

EnvoyBu
07-17-12, 10:56 PM
How did the 2.0T drive? I've only driven the 3.6L and sat in a 2.5L, so I wondered if the 3.6L is worth the extra $1,000-$2,000.

JimmyH
07-17-12, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the info Tony. How was the shifting in the MT models?

Cadillac Tony
07-17-12, 11:38 PM
How did the 2.0T drive? I've only driven the 3.6L and sat in a 2.5L, so I wondered if the 3.6L is worth the extra $1,000-$2,000.

There's a .4 second difference in 0-60 times between the 2.0T and the 3.6L, and I can tell you it's all in the first .4 seconds after you floor it from a standstill. The 2.0T feels great at speed, but there's no avoiding the delay to build boost pressure when first taking off.

If you're a stoplight racer and want it punchy at low RPM, get the 3.6L. For road course racers and highway passers, the Turbo is awesome.

Thanks for all the info Tony? How was the shifting in the MT models?

The only MT car present was not in service for the driving event. Sorry.

JimmyH
07-17-12, 11:41 PM
Is the manual trans going to be an Aisin? I thought I read somewhere that it would be a Tremec, but that doesn't seem right.

Cadillac Tony
07-18-12, 12:36 AM
It is indeed a Tremec.

ryanwgregg
07-18-12, 09:59 AM
Lots of turbo lag?

This made me laugh a little. Turbo lag isn't really lag as much as it is the turbo spooling. On a 2.0L that is making 272HP, there really isn't "lag" as much as you might think. I would bet that the turbo is already building boost as soon as you touch the gas given the size of the turbo exhaust housing and how short the runners of the manifold are. Positive pressure can probably been seen at 1000-1500RPM. We will just have to wait and see when they are released and someone hooked up a boost gauge and makes a dyno run.

ryanwgregg
07-18-12, 10:06 AM
There's a .4 second difference in 0-60 times between the 2.0T and the 3.6L, and I can tell you it's all in the first .4 seconds after you floor it from a standstill. The 2.0T feels great at speed, but there's no avoiding the delay to build boost pressure when first taking off.

Hopefully Cadillac did one thing with this motor: better air to air intercooler than say the Chevy Cruze!!! That intercooler is a joke....

I think with a good aftermarket intake and some tuning, we can get good off the line boost. The good thing with such a small turbo, hopefully torque doesn't fall off.

Cadillac Tony
07-18-12, 10:26 AM
The 2.0T hits its torque peak around 2,000rpm. It's flat as a table from there to near redline, but the "problem" for those not used to turbo engines is that space between idle and 2,000rpm.

I'll see if I can upload the videos I took of me flooring the car from a standstill to about 50mph. I did one run each in the 2.0T and then the 3.6L, which is what informed my comment above: Both cars are quick and fun, but the standing start is better in the 3.6L. From a highway roll (50-100mph) I would bet they're dead even, but the 3.6 would win from a dig.

ryanwgregg
07-18-12, 10:54 AM
The 2.0T hits its torque peak around 2,000rpm. It's flat as a table from there to near redline, but the "problem" for those not used to turbo engines is that space between idle and 2,000rpm.

I'll see if I can upload the videos I took of me flooring the car from a standstill to about 50mph. I did one run each in the 2.0T and then the 3.6L, which is what informed my comment above: Both cars are quick and fun, but the standing start is better in the 3.6L. From a highway roll (50-100mph) I would bet they're dead even, but the 3.6 would win from a dig.

The 3.6L gets off the line better because of one thing: displacement. In the 2.0t that you were driving, auto or manual? Should be able to get a good amount of power from an intake and exhaust on the 2.0t....

bmw2caddy
07-18-12, 11:00 AM

Definitely not a weird combination at all. I have a 135 convertible in space gray/coral red love the combo as do many others.

I like the carbon fiber look as well. I'm just not sure if I want to get another gray and red car…though I do like the Thunder Gray a lot

JimmyH
07-18-12, 03:43 PM

that's why the 2.0T will be better with the manual. You will be able to keep the revs up off the line. Of course that becomes a balancing act of avoiding bogging the engine, and overrevving the hell out of it. But that's part of the fun :D

buttfish77
07-18-12, 05:15 PM
I thought the 0-60 time with the MT was estimated to be 0.1 seconds slower that with the AT. Faster shifts keep the revs (and boost) up.

that's why the 2.0T will be better with the manual. You will be able to keep the revs up off the line. Of course that becomes a balancing act of avoiding bogging the engine, and overrevving the hell out of it. But that's part of the fun :D

JimmyH
07-18-12, 05:22 PM
I am sure, on a drag strip, in a controlled environment, the auto will be faster every time. In the real world though, there's lots of variables. Also on the strip, you can do a brake-stall, which will bring the revs up on an automatic. But how many people are going to do that on the street? With a manual, you can control the revs off idle by adjusting your slip. Which of course is not good for the clutch.

For myself, I will take the manual every time. Even if it is slower.

EnvoyBu
07-19-12, 12:10 AM
Please please please PLEASE upload those videos!!!!!! :)

Much appreciated!

lexterminator
07-19-12, 01:56 AM
Thanks for all the precious info

Can you comment on the seats (the standard ones not the performance ones) ? Are they more thight and narrow than the 2008+ CTS ? I find the CTS seats too wide, my 04 CTS seats were thighter than my current 09 seats

Im debating between 2.5 luxury or 3.6 luxury, will try both
Thanks!

EnvoyBu
07-19-12, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all the precious info

Can you comment on the seats (the standard ones not the performance ones) ? Are they more thight and narrow than the 2008+ CTS ? I find the CTS seats too wide, my 04 CTS seats were thighter than my current 09 seats

Im debating between 2.5 luxury or 3.6 luxury, will try both
Thanks!

Get the 3.6L and don't even think about it either. Well worth the money. The seats are a little narrower, but not by much to me.

EnvoyBu
07-19-12, 06:13 AM
After uploading those videos for me (:D), can you comment on how the ATS 2.0T felt compared to the 328i? Also, was it the new 328i with the 2.0T? Or the older one with the 3.0L?

Cadillac Tony
07-19-12, 04:50 PM
Well as anyone who has ever autocrossed knows, the videos look boring. Here's the run I did in the AWD 3.6L. The course was set up to test multiple aspects of the car in the following order:

WOT run
Both feet in, ABS test
Medium speed, smooth slalom
Brief WOT, followed by slamming the brakes mid corner with the wheel turned to test stability

We did this exact sequence of events in all the ATSs, followed by a 328i, A4 and C250. The ATS performed very well, and thanks to the 50/50 weight distribution felt much more stable and easy to rotate through the slalom than the more nose heavy Audi and Merc. Steering feel and ease of transfer was about equal to the Bimmer, but with better brake feel thanks to the Brembo system. Off the line acceleration in the ATS felt noticeably punchier than all 3 of the competitors.

Obiously you really have to be in the car to feel things like stability and balance, and even though it looks slow on video we were actually cooking pretty well through there. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeQbfIRQVJ0&feature=youtu.be

Cadillac Tony
07-19-12, 08:20 PM
Here's the same run in the 2.0T. My cameraman was busy watching the course so he pointed the camera right at the dash during the slalom ( :doh:).

You'll notice a bit of delay off the line while the turbo spools up. I was in "manumatic mode" to try out the paddle shifters, and did not brake stand- just moved my foot from the brake to gas and floored it. Through the slalom I left it in it in first to see if the turbo got jerky going on/off/on boost at high RPMs, but it felt great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSv9W8Bho-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lexterminator
07-20-12, 12:40 AM

Im pretty sure it will be 5x120 like recent Cadillac and Buicks

concorso
07-22-12, 07:26 PM
Any idea what turbo will be used? Is it a twin scroll turbo?

McShibbs
10-09-12, 06:33 PM
Any idea what turbo will be used? Is it a twin scroll turbo?

Should be a twin scroll like with the LNF in the Chevy Cobalt SS/TC.

The 2.0T in this car is based off of the LNF, but GM definitely improved somethings on it. I own a 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS and I'm fond of some of the changes made to this new motor. :)

I'm a senior in college now and I will pick up an ATS 2.0T Premium as soon as I can afford one. <3

Tony407
10-10-12, 10:43 PM
Fantastic thread. Thanks, Tony!!

Tony

Avery323
10-12-12, 09:50 AM
Tony, keep the comment coming! Would love to read a new thread from you hearing reactions from customers now that the car is on sale.

ben.gators
10-13-12, 06:45 AM
Thanks a lot, Tony! Great and very informative videos!

08CTS
10-13-12, 01:42 PM
Great thread! It should be a sticky.