: Review- '05 G6

brandondeleo
07-16-12, 07:03 AM
Finally finished up my next review. I think it's a good one. Go here and read it! (Please.) :lol:

http://deleob.blogspot.com/2012/07/2005-pontiac-g6-review.html

Jesda
07-16-12, 08:01 AM
A week ago I tried to help my ex-girlfriend find the fuse for the radio (CD changer is glitchy on these cars). They have three fuse banks and they're poorly labeled. Finally found the correct one to the right of the center console behind a plastic panel. The CD changer is still jammed, unfortunately.

Nice seats though, and the gauges are pretty. The car itself (2006 3.9L G6 GXP) has been very dependable.

Also, Pontiac's front-drive cars were particularly popular with young women but I never understood why. They weren't the safest, the smoothest, the most efficient, the most dependable, or the most luxurious. A few years ago, Pontiac had the highest percentage of cars registered to female owners, more than half.

brandondeleo
07-16-12, 08:06 AM
What a coincidence... The CD slot on this one is jammed too. :lol: (Didn't seem prudent to include to me.) I wonder if the GXP seats are different, because I hate these seats. They're flat as a pancake and hard as a rock. I'd be willing to bet that the Sunfire had a big effect on those numbers. Chicks LOVE Sunfires for some reason.

The-Dullahan
07-16-12, 09:10 AM
Jesda is right. The only G6 owners I have ever known were all women.

brandondeleo
07-16-12, 09:14 AM

It is my mom's car after all. THIS SEEMS TRUE

The G6 is also a Mary Kay car.

Playdrv4me
07-16-12, 08:25 PM

And multi-millionaires.

Aron9000
07-16-12, 11:12 PM
Too bad the rest of the car isn't as well designed or exciting as the gauge cluster. Really the gauge cluster is pretty cool, rest of the car=:yawn:

ted tcb
07-16-12, 11:19 PM
Nice, thorough, entertaining review.

A very pedestrian car ... certainly not a car that any owner would look back over their shoulder
at, trying to steal one more glance.

Still, I can see the appeal for a G6 convertible with a two tone leather interior.
Depreciation has made those versions very affordable.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/20095-pontiac-g6-convertible-interior-photo-242849-s-1280x782.jpg

ryannel2003
07-17-12, 12:01 AM
Worked around G6's all day long at the dealership and while they were dependable, they weren't fun to drive or very powerful compared to the competition (especially the 4 cylinder... what a dog!). The interiors tended to fall apart thanks to GM using cheap materials and the seats were horribly uncomfortable for larger people. Overall, an ok car since most of them were getting to discounted for less than $20k very nicely equipped. Above about $23k, I'd have gone for an Accord as that car has more refinement in its door handle than the entire G6 has.

Playdrv4me
07-17-12, 06:54 AM
Cheapest retractable hard top vert you could get, and WAY better than the damn Sebring.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-12, 09:19 AM
Aside from the 97-03 Grand Prix GTP and Trans Am's, none of the Pontiacs made after 2000 never really struck a chord with me, but I have to admit, those G6 Coupes are really sharp looking little cars.

The Raven
07-17-12, 10:11 AM
Above about $23k, I'd have gone for an Accord as that car has more refinement in its door handle than the entire G6 has.

Have you been in a newer Accord? I only ask because having owned both a 2006 G6 GTP and 2007 Accord EX, I can't possibly disagree more with this statement.

The G6 is by no means luxurious or high-end, but my wife got almost 90,000 absolutely trouble-free miles out of hers. It was faster, quieter, more fuel efficient (averaged 20-22mpg in her daily commute, which involved very little highway) and subjectively better looking. The Accord had far more hard plastic in it's interior, resulting in a much cheaper feel. The seats were super-hard, the steering sucked, the transmission was a complete disaster (had to be replaced at 19k miles!), both front bearings were replaced twice in 50k miles and the car kept throwing two emissions codes that the dealer was never able to figure out. All this and the Accord was still slower than the G6, quite a bit noisier and averaged 18-19mpg in mixed (very little highway) driving.

In the 90's, the Honda Accord was a phenomenal car. But these days, you don't have to go far to do much better.

Aron9000
07-17-12, 10:48 AM
In the 90's, the Honda Accord was a phenomenal car. But these days, you don't have to go far to do much better.

Man I can't agree more with this. Honestly I thought the last gen Accord(the 03-07 cars) were better looking and had a better built interior. I've driven my friend's 2005 Accord 4 cylinder sedan, and I must say that at 70mph on the interstate it rides nicer and is quieter than my mom's 2012 Camry V6 SE. I attribute all that to tire choice though, the Camry is wearing skinny ass rubber on 18" wheels, the Accord is wearing some fatter meats on 16" wheels. Still, that Accord is a damn nice cruiser, tracks straight, rides nice, nice seat, quiet, it just has no balls with that 4 cylinder motor.

talismandave
07-17-12, 11:35 AM
My parents own an 06 Odyssey. I really should list it in my cars list, I put more miles on it each year than I do my own car.:histeric:
The van has been a great vehicle and trouble free. It was the first Asian import any of us have owned. I will say though I am surprised at how poor the interior quality is. The leather seats are a utility grade of leather, hard and stiff even when conditioned to death. The amount of silver painted hard plastic and grained hard plastic would be at home in 80's domestic cars. I was surprised because I had always heard of that being an area these makes did so well. I guess we waited too long to buy one!

cadillac kevin
07-17-12, 12:51 PM
My parents own an 06 Odyssey. I really should list it in my cars list, I put more miles on it each year than I do my own car.:histeric:
The van has been a great vehicle and trouble free. It was the first Asian import any of us have owned. I will say though I am surprised at how poor the interior quality is. The leather seats are a utility grade of leather, hard and stiff even when conditioned to death. The amount of silver painted hard plastic and grained hard plastic would be at home in 80's domestic cars. I was surprised because I had always heard of that being an area these makes did so well. I guess we waited too long to buy one!

My boss owns an 04? Oddessey. It has the leather interior and I never found it comfortable. It has a couple rips/ finish marks but it has worn like iron considering how much abuse he puts it through (he uses it as a family hauler and for band equipment hauling). it can hold alot of stuff (not as mich as a safari though) but the rear liftover is high and the floor is very uneven. That being said, I don't think using it as a cargo van was on honda's mind when they built it. The interior is very car like, and it looks like you're driving a jumbo sized accord (with worse seats). The interior is far more uncomfortable than my safari (both my current conversion and my previous passenger van) and the seats feel like leather covered rocks.

talismandave
07-17-12, 01:31 PM
Funny that of all people to respond it would be you Kevin. When we were shopping for a replacement for their 98 LeSabre Limited I kind of advocated the Honda. I had an 86 Astro that I loved it! With the prospect of transporting wheelchairs etc. as they got older I thought it would be a good choice. It has been... but all of us sort of regret it just the same.
The ride/handling is nothing compared to the old Astro. (or even my old 77 E150 cargo van!)
It has been reliable, economical, efficient, and durable.
It also has been uncomfortable, unwieldy to drive, (It feels bigger than my old vans), and harsh ridding.
All in all, the boring, utilitarian transport it was designed to be I guess.:hmm:

truckinman
07-17-12, 02:06 PM
I actually test drove a G6. 2008 model. Had the 3.5 V6. Dark blue with black interior. Sunroof. Pretty well equipped. But the only thing I truly liked about it were the gauge pods. But if it had had the panoramic sunroof, I probably woulda been more inclined to buy it. Was a sharp looking car I thought. Even tho it was the sedan. But it's dark blue with the 5 spoke chrome weeks looked good

truckinman
07-17-12, 02:13 PM
But I do gotta point out, the gaps on the dash panels were HUGE! Making that already cheap interior look even cheaper like the folks at hot wheels had put it together. And that is what I couldn't get my head around. I mean the 3.5 V6 was an ok engine. Had 220 hp. Not bad for a car that size. But the cheapness of the dash alone is what caused me to walk away. And I'm glad I did bc I then found my 05 STS for 2 grand LESS with only 14k more miles. And the STS is a car I've absolutely loved since I saw the first in it's latest style at a 2005 car show.

ryannel2003
07-17-12, 02:32 PM
Have you been in a newer Accord? I only ask because having owned both a 2006 G6 GTP and 2007 Accord EX, I can't possibly disagree more with this statement.

The G6 is by no means luxurious or high-end, but my wife got almost 90,000 absolutely trouble-free miles out of hers. It was faster, quieter, more fuel efficient (averaged 20-22mpg in her daily commute, which involved very little highway) and subjectively better looking. The Accord had far more hard plastic in it's interior, resulting in a much cheaper feel. The seats were super-hard, the steering sucked, the transmission was a complete disaster (had to be replaced at 19k miles!), both front bearings were replaced twice in 50k miles and the car kept throwing two emissions codes that the dealer was never able to figure out. All this and the Accord was still slower than the G6, quite a bit noisier and averaged 18-19mpg in mixed (very little highway) driving.

I have been in an '08 Accord with the 4 cylinder and V6. if I was buying a midsize car today, I'd buy the Accord. Sure it's fatter than it was in the 90's and the styling isn't beautiful, but I prefer it in every way to the G6. I mean from the sounds of the engine to the ride quality to the interior, everything about the Accord is better in every way. Maybe you had a one-off G6 with a great interior, but the G6's I worked around for 3 1/2 years had some of the cheapest plastic put into a 2000's era GM car. It scratched easily, fell apart when you touched it, and generally was of shitty quality. The V6 in the G6 was down on horsepower unless you bought the GTP version which was rare... most of them were the 4 or the GT with the noisy 3.5 V6. Regardless the quality of the G6 as a whole sucked. We had a '08 with less than 20k miles have to be repainted because the front bumper had flaking clear coat! I'm not saying that Honda has better quality paint because they don't, but regardless I'd buy the Accord all day long. Even though, those new Kia Optima's are begging to get behind the wheel and test it out.

ltdltc
07-17-12, 04:14 PM
http://youtu.be/w4s6H4ku6ZY

Also the coolest Pontiac post 2000:

http://i.imgur.com/n7ZEf.jpg

Fastest and most powerful stock W-Body ever. A hoot to drive.

truckinman
07-17-12, 04:36 PM
I wanted one of those grand prix GXPs so bad! But couldn't find one in my area. I also wasn't sure how a front wheel drive would handle with all that torque

cadillac kevin
07-17-12, 07:17 PM
Video Link: http://youtu.be/w4s6H4ku6ZY (http://youtu.be/w4s6H4ku6ZY)

Is that the supercharged 3800 version or the northstar version?

truckinman
07-17-12, 07:51 PM

They never had the n*. But had a 5.3 V8 with 303 hp. And that pic is of the GXP with the 5.3 V8

The Raven
07-17-12, 08:57 PM
I have been in an '08 Accord with the 4 cylinder and V6. if I was buying a midsize car today, I'd buy the Accord. Sure it's fatter than it was in the 90's and the styling isn't beautiful, but I prefer it in every way to the G6. I mean from the sounds of the engine to the ride quality to the interior, everything about the Accord is better in every way. Maybe you had a one-off G6 with a great interior, but the G6's I worked around for 3 1/2 years had some of the cheapest plastic put into a 2000's era GM car.

No no, i'm not trying to say that the G6 had a GREAT interior. My point was that the Accord's interior was worse. I'm not sure what you find so awesome about the Honda's motor...it was subdued and boring to me.

It scratched easily, fell apart when you touched it, and generally was of shitty quality. The V6 in the G6 was down on horsepower unless you bought the GTP version which was rare... most of them were the 4 or the GT with the noisy 3.5 V6. Regardless the quality of the G6 as a whole sucked. We had a '08 with less than 20k miles have to be repainted because the front bumper had flaking clear coat! I'm not saying that Honda has better quality paint because they don't, but regardless I'd buy the Accord all day long.

This is precisely why my comparison worked so well...I was comparing a top-of-the-line G6 (GTP) to a top-of-the-line Accord. Both were fully loaded (that's the only way I buy a car). The G6 had more power and you could easily tell. Side by side, the GTP had almost a car length by 60mph.

Perhaps in 08 (that was a redesign year), the Accord got a significantly better interior, but then it would certainly be better compared to the 08 Malibu, instead of a 4-year old car (and if you've ever been in an 08+ Malibu, you know there's no comparison).

Bottom line is that the G6 competed well within it's class in it's time.

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 12:34 AM
That was the S/C 3800. I believe you're thinking of the 4.0L Shortstar. That was in the Olds Aurora.

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 12:49 AM
Cheapest retractable hard top vert you could get, and WAY better than the damn Sebring.
Than the third gen, absolutely... I'm pretty sure that the G6 'vert is on my list of possible next cars. I love those things. I just wish it was bigger.

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 01:13 AM
No no, i'm not trying to say that the G6 had a GREAT interior. My point was that the Accord's interior was worse. I'm not sure what you find so awesome about the Honda's motor...it was subdued and boring to me.

This is precisely why my comparison worked so well...I was comparing a top-of-the-line G6 (GTP) to a top-of-the-line Accord. Both were fully loaded (that's the only way I buy a car). The G6 had more power and you could easily tell. Side by side, the GTP had almost a car length by 60mph.

Perhaps in 08 (that was a redesign year), the Accord got a significantly better interior, but then it would certainly be better compared to the 08 Malibu, instead of a 4-year old car (and if you've ever been in an 08+ Malibu, you know there's no comparison).

Bottom line is that the G6 competed well within it's class in it's time.

I never said the Honda's 4 cylinder was awesome, but the G6's 4 cylinder was a dog. Honda's have pretty good, smooth 4 cylinders so if you think they'reboring, then you would be in for a disappointment as far as all 4 Cylinders go.

If the G6 compared to well within it's class, why did sales drop every single year from the first model year forward? If it was such a highly competitive car why did the Pontiac brand die? Let's be honest here, the G6 was an ok car. It wasn't great. That's why it was consistently beat by the Accord, Camry, Altima, Sonata, Fusion, etc. every single year in sales and ended up being a rental car special. The GTP was a better car than a base G6 I'll give you that, but I'm sorry I wouldn't pay anywhere near what Pontiac wanted for the car when they were on dealer lots. $30k for a G6? No thanks. I'd rather have almost any car in the midsize class than the G6, with the exception of the '04-'07 Malibu which was it's equal. At least the G6 was stylish... because the Malibu was ugly as sin.

Oh and it's been suggested by many people the '03-'07 Accord was a better car than the '08-current model, so I'm sure you would be less impressed with the current model. I think that every Accord built since the mid 80's has been an excellent, good driving midsize sedan. There is a reason why you still can't find a decent '00 Accord for less than $7k.

Oh and btw:

2006 Honda Accord EX (V6) 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter mile 14.3
2005 Pontiac G6 GTP 0-60 mph 6.2

Maybe you just don't know how to drive a Honda correctly? They do have VTECCCCC you know.

Jesda
07-18-12, 01:28 AM
Accord does have a nicer interior, in my opinion, but Epsilon is a superior platform.

If I was looking for a used late-model midsizer, I'd probably buy an Aura (sharper looks) or Malibu (nicer interior).

hueterm
07-18-12, 01:29 AM
I'd rather have a 2nd low mileage G body Riviera than I think anything mentioned above....even if it is 15 years old...

Jesda
07-18-12, 01:32 AM
If the G6 compared to well within it's class, why did sales drop every single year from the first model year forward? If it was such a highly competitive car why did the Pontiac brand die? Let's be honest here, the G6 was an ok car. It wasn't great.

Indeed, and it took GM a few tries to get their domestic Epsilon cars right. It finally stuck with the Malibu.

The Aura just needed a mild MCE to make it more competitive.

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 01:33 AM
I mean i'd rather have my old ass 323i than anything I've talked about, but if I was forced to drive a midsize car I'd go Accord all day long.

Jesda - completely forgot about the Aura. I guess it is considering they were only on the market for a few years.

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 01:35 AM
Indeed, and it took GM a few tries to get their domestic Epsilon cars right. It finally stuck with the Malibu.

The Aura just needed a mild MCE to make it more competitive.

The Malibu is a fabulous car. I drove an '08 when it first came out and was just blown away by how much better it was than any previous GM midsize car built. My only complaint is that it's quite narrow, where the Accord feels more like a Town Car on the inside. Of all the Accords, I like the '90-'93 and '98-'02 the best. The latter in an EX coupe, San Marino Red with tan leather and a 5 Speed.

Jesda
07-18-12, 02:03 AM
I'd rather have a 2nd low mileage G body Riviera than I think anything mentioned above....even if it is 15 years old...

Heck, if we're going that route, I'd rather have a 1990 Mazda Miata.

Playdrv4me
07-18-12, 03:57 AM

http://i.imgur.com/n7ZEf.jpg

Close, it shared that honor with this...

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/03/impala/image/06_impala.jpg

Far better looking and way less plasticky IMO. That generation of Grand Prix always looked ungainly and porky, the prior gen was much better.

As for the coolest Pontiac since 2000, well that honor would have to go here...

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/06/06/00/16/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp-pic-9210489041087432955.jpeg

Or maybe here...

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/274710/2005-pontiac-bonneville-gxp-photo-274872-s-520x318.jpg

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 04:20 AM
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/06/06/00/16/2009_pontiac_g8_gxp-pic-9210489041087432955.jpeg
This for sure. Absolutely. :cloud9:

truckinman
07-18-12, 07:39 AM
Accord does have a nicer interior, in my opinion, but Epsilon is a superior platform.

If I was looking for a used late-model midsizer, I'd probably buy an Aura (sharper looks) or Malibu (nicer interior).

Now if GM had made a Aura Redline, that could have been a big hit! Hell they had a friggin Vue Redline. Seriously?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-12, 08:59 AM

Far better looking and way less plasticky IMO. That generation of Grand Prix always looked ungainly and porky, the prior gen was much better.

Having spent considerable time around both the Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, I'd take the GXP any day of the week. It's definitely sportier than the SS, it looks more aggressive inside & out, it has much more comfortable bucket seats (the seats in the SS are flat & wide, definitely not sporty) and lastly, because it has wider front tires than the SS, it handles better and has less torque steer.

The Raven
07-18-12, 09:57 AM
I never said the Honda's 4 cylinder was awesome, but the G6's 4 cylinder was a dog. Honda's have pretty good, smooth 4 cylinders so if you think they'reboring, then you would be in for a disappointment as far as all 4 Cylinders go.

Couldn't care less about the 4-cylinder. I have never in my life heard a 4-cylinder that sounds good to me.

If the G6 compared to well within it's class, why did sales drop every single year from the first model year forward? If it was such a highly competitive car why did the Pontiac brand die? Let's be honest here, the G6 was an ok car. It wasn't great. That's why it was consistently beat by the Accord, Camry, Altima, Sonata, Fusion, etc. every single year in sales and ended up being a rental car special. The GTP was a better car than a base G6 I'll give you that, but I'm sorry I wouldn't pay anywhere near what Pontiac wanted for the car when they were on dealer lots. $30k for a G6? No thanks. I'd rather have almost any car in the midsize class than the G6, with the exception of the '04-'07 Malibu which was it's equal. At least the G6 was stylish... because the Malibu was ugly as sin.

Sales have very little to do with whether or not a car is competitive within it's class. Sales have everything to do with whether or not a car is PRICED properly. See the STS-V for evidence.

Oh and it's been suggested by many people the '03-'07 Accord was a better car than the '08-current model, so I'm sure you would be less impressed with the current model. I think that every Accord built since the mid 80's has been an excellent, good driving midsize sedan. There is a reason why you still can't find a decent '00 Accord for less than $7k.

We can argue subjective points all day long, but why? The facts remain: in the 2007 Accord EX I had, the seats, steering wheel rim, shifter, and center console armrest were leather (VERY loosely speaking, of course), the upper dash pad and supper door trims/armrests were vinyl covered...EVERYTHING ELSE was hard plastic. Lower dash, dash bridge, lower 2/3rds of each door trim, pillar trims, steering column cover, seat cushion trims, center console, center stack, seatbacks, overhead console, grab handles...ALL HARD PLASTIC. In the G6 GTP, the entire dash excluding the center stack, and 100% of all door trims were soft touch vinyl. The G6's interior was far from phenomenal, but it beat the crap out of the Accord.

Oh and btw:

2006 Honda Accord EX (V6) 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter mile 14.3
2005 Pontiac G6 GTP 0-60 mph 6.2

Maybe you just don't know how to drive a Honda correctly? They do have VTECCCCC you know.

Source?

The average 1/4 mile times are 14.5-14.7 for the GTP and 14.6-14.8 for the EX, BTW. Care to let me in on the "secret" to getting a good launch on a 240hp FWD V6 Honda sedan? Now that I know that Honda's require special driver training i'm going to have to buy another EX and GTP to try the race again.

The Raven
07-18-12, 09:59 AM

As for the coolest Pontiac since 2000, well that honor would have to go here...

Or maybe here...

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/274710/2005-pontiac-bonneville-gxp-photo-274872-s-520x318.jpg

So you mean to say that the 04-08 Grand Prix was ugly, but the Impala and Bonneville were good looking? HUH?! It's no wonder you and I disagree on so much!

truckinman
07-18-12, 10:33 AM
Having spent considerable time around both the Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, I'd take the GXP any day of the week. It's definitely sportier than the SS, it looks more aggressive inside & out, it has much more comfortable bucket seats (the seats in the SS are flat & wide, definitely not sporty) and lastly, because it has wider front tires than the SS, it handles better and has less torque steer.

I agree 100%. I test drove a basic impala once with leather seats (which btw are the exact same seats used in the SS unlike how the GXP had special seats compared to the lower end grand prixs) and those were the most stiff uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. And not to mention the most boring, rent a car, interior I've ever seen aside from the plastic wood grain that GM used to give it a "luxury" appeal. The GXP has a much much more unique interior. Much more aggressive gauges. Much more aggressive everything. Inside and out. From the front facia to the vents on the backs of the front fenders. Just a much more appealing car. And not to mention it had the heads up display which I don't believe the SS has. Could be wrong tho

Jesda
07-18-12, 11:00 AM
The GP looks like it was styled by a toddler with its goofy bubbly tail lights and tacky greenhouse. Bonneville was far better looking with its crisper and more linear details.

As for interiors, the G6 is nice enough for a Pontiac but below par for midsize family sedans.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Pontiac_G6/Interior/

" The Pontiac G6 cabin is a bleak place, with an uninspired design constructed of cheap black plastic." -- Edmunds
" The cabin has an abundance of hard plastic surfaces, with overall material quality that significantly trails those of most midsize rivals." -- Consumer Guide
"As a whole the interior is uninspiring." -- Road and Track
"Although the G6 still has a few too many hard plastic surfaces, the cabin boasts attractive design with chrome-ringed gauges and simple-to-use, quality switchgear." -- U.S. News

For the Accord:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Accord/2009/Interior/

"The Accord's cabin treads closer to the domain of Honda's luxury brand, Acura, with its use of high-quality materials, good fit and finish, and the adoption of an optional knob-based navigation system in place of the car's previous touch-screen setup." -- Cars.com
Compared to the Chevy Malibu, "the Accord plays it safe with as conventional an interior as in any car on the road. GM's designers, on the other hand, have done a bang-up job in obscuring the inferior quality of some of the Malibu's materials, primarily by using color in an optional two-tone scheme. You will realize the brilliance of GM's smoke and mirrors when you feel just how deficient the Malibu's two major touchpoints -- its steering wheel and seats -- are compared to those in the Honda." -- Wall Street Journal
"Interior styling is clearly an evolution, but with far more flair. The dash sweeps up and away for an expansive feel. Trim is bolder and brighter, dipping for an artistic center stack that still features large controls and a display screen." -- Motor Week
"The 2009 Honda Accord features a tightly constructed interior with generally high-quality materials, though it's no longer head and shoulders above the competition in this regard." -- Edmunds

Jesda
07-18-12, 11:01 AM
And the FWD 5.3 eats transmissions.

ltdltc
07-18-12, 11:14 AM

This guy knows whats up. The exhaust on the Grand Prix GXP is intoxicating. I test drove a beat one and it ripped the steering wheel right out of my hands when I took off from a on ramp, tread was super worn (which I think was part of the torque steer problem) but man that was a fast car. Impala's are ok but if your going that route might as well get the Lacrosse Super and have a more upscale interior.

And the fender vents on the Grand Prix GXP are actually functional unlike most that are only put on for aesthetics.

And the FWD 5.3 eats transmissions.

This is true and you have to get a built one from TEP that addresses the 4T65E-HD weaknesses.

hueterm
07-18-12, 12:03 PM
Bonneville GXP FTW.

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 12:04 PM
I much, much prefer the Impala SS to the Grand Prix. They're ugly and overwraught... not to mention the front tires are wider than the rear. WTF. My grandfather has been having issues with oil consumption, his tranny seems to be going out, and the front shocks are shot. The car is an '06 with 45k miles. Disappointing quality to say the least... I'm trying to sway him into a new Charger R/T.

I agree Raven we can argue all day long but the fact of the matter is I prefer the Accord, and you prefer the G6. It's fine. STS-V was also a mediocre car in my opinion compared to the M5 and the E55 AMG which is why Cadillac killed the nameplate after a few years. The one I drove seemed slow in comparison to the other two and with the 1st Gen CTS-V being a better car for tuners because of the SBC, the 2nd Gen CTS-V was the nail in the coffin.

The Raven
07-18-12, 12:25 PM
The GP looks like it was styled by a toddler with its goofy bubbly tail lights and tacky greenhouse. Bonneville was far better looking with its crisper and more linear details.

As for interiors, the G6 is nice enough for a Pontiac but below par for midsize family sedans.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Pontiac_G6/Interior/

" The Pontiac G6 cabin is a bleak place, with an uninspired design constructed of cheap black plastic." -- Edmunds
" The cabin has an abundance of hard plastic surfaces, with overall material quality that significantly trails those of most midsize rivals." -- Consumer Guide
"As a whole the interior is uninspiring." -- Road and Track
"Although the G6 still has a few too many hard plastic surfaces, the cabin boasts attractive design with chrome-ringed gauges and simple-to-use, quality switchgear." -- U.S. News

For the Accord:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_Accord/2009/Interior/

"The Accord's cabin treads closer to the domain of Honda's luxury brand, Acura, with its use of high-quality materials, good fit and finish, and the adoption of an optional knob-based navigation system in place of the car's previous touch-screen setup." -- Cars.com
Compared to the Chevy Malibu, "the Accord plays it safe with as conventional an interior as in any car on the road. GM's designers, on the other hand, have done a bang-up job in obscuring the inferior quality of some of the Malibu's materials, primarily by using color in an optional two-tone scheme. You will realize the brilliance of GM's smoke and mirrors when you feel just how deficient the Malibu's two major touchpoints -- its steering wheel and seats -- are compared to those in the Honda." -- Wall Street Journal
"Interior styling is clearly an evolution, but with far more flair. The dash sweeps up and away for an expansive feel. Trim is bolder and brighter, dipping for an artistic center stack that still features large controls and a display screen." -- Motor Week
"The 2009 Honda Accord features a tightly constructed interior with generally high-quality materials, though it's no longer head and shoulders above the competition in this regard." -- Edmunds

This is a perfect example of media bias. Note the talk of "plastic" G6 interior vs. the "upscale feel" of the Accord's interior. This being written despite the fact that 73% of the Accord's interior surfaces are hard plastic vs. 48% of the G6's interior surfaces being hard plastic. Though pretty much all the sources you posted are widely known for being riddled with bias towards imports.

The Raven
07-18-12, 12:32 PM
I much, much prefer the Impala SS to the Grand Prix. They're ugly and overwraught... not to mention the front tires are wider than the rear. WTF. My grandfather has been having issues with oil consumption, his tranny seems to be going out, and the front shocks are shot. The car is an '06 with 45k miles. Disappointing quality to say the least... I'm trying to sway him into a new Charger R/T.

Yeah we clearly differ on what we find attractive. I think the GP's look great, especially interior-wise vs. ANY impala. The staggered tire size keeps the GXP from being nothing more than a rubber-roaster. That amount of HP to the front wheels ALWAYS results in defiant steering, and transmission and front suspension issues. Having said that, the GXP was a phenomenal car for what it was...certainly not a candidate for any car-of-the-year awards, but show me something that was in it's class and offered more than it did for the money. I'm not even sure there WAS anything in it's class.

I agree Raven we can argue all day long but the fact of the matter is I prefer the Accord, and you prefer the G6. It's fine. STS-V was also a mediocre car in my opinion compared to the M5 and the E55 AMG which is why Cadillac killed the nameplate after a few years. The one I drove seemed slow in comparison to the other two and with the 1st Gen CTS-V being a better car for tuners because of the SBC, the 2nd Gen CTS-V was the nail in the coffin.

The STS-V was simply priced out of it's class. It's a phenomenal car in every sense, but $78k was about $15k too high a price for what it offered. With a better interior than an M5 or E55, and the inherently lower maintenance costs vs. the German offerings, it could have been a winner. But not at almost $80k. Even the new CTS-V, which wipes the floor with it's German competition, is cheaper.

Jesda
07-18-12, 12:50 PM
This is a perfect example of media bias. Note the talk of "plastic" G6 interior vs. the "upscale feel" of the Accord's interior. This being written despite the fact that 73% of the Accord's interior surfaces are hard plastic vs. 48% of the G6's interior surfaces being hard plastic. Though pretty much all the sources you posted are widely known for being riddled with bias towards imports.

Yes, when you're wrong, it's obviously a conspiracy involving me, Ryan, and the media.

The Raven
07-18-12, 01:22 PM
Yes, when you're wrong, it's obviously a conspiracy involving me, Ryan, and the media.

First - What you posted are subjective impressions, thus right and wrong do not apply

Second - I know you're not stupid, and have been around the automotive world for some time, thus you must have encountered at least one of the many documented cases of import bias shown by Edmunds and the affiliates of Consumer Union. This is not new, nor is it "little known".

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 01:28 PM
:yawn:

Stingroo
07-18-12, 01:36 PM
Should change his username to Raven Wolf.

truckinman
07-18-12, 01:37 PM
:yawn:

I love threads where everyone argues over things that are backed by nothing more than others opinions.

The Raven
07-18-12, 01:54 PM
I love threads where everyone argues over things that are backed by nothing more than others opinions.

Me too...they are 90% of what makes up a car forum. People argue to the death over things that can never be proven one way or another, using statistics formed from other people's opinions, all in an attempt to prove a point that has no bearing whatsoever on reality in the first place.

Many online "automotive journalists" that are quoted as proof have less automotive experience than the person quoting them. You should see the "Drive" section of my local paper. I have no idea where they get these writers, but they could probably get more informed articles out of high school drama club teachers. I have to say that my personal favorite was the Ferrari 458 Road Test where the writer gave driving impressions of the car without ever actually setting foot in it.

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 01:55 PM
You should see the "Drive" section of my local paper. I have no idea where they get these writers, but they could probably get more informed articles out of high school drama club teachers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsscJOfT3ko

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 02:04 PM
To be fair, the whole basis of the thread, my review, is based solely on opinion. (With some factual stuff in there too.)

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 02:56 PM
Yeah we clearly differ on what we find attractive. I think the GP's look great, especially interior-wise vs. ANY impala. The staggered tire size keeps the GXP from being nothing more than a rubber-roaster. That amount of HP to the front wheels ALWAYS results in defiant steering, and transmission and front suspension issues. Having said that, the GXP was a phenomenal car for what it was...certainly not a candidate for any car-of-the-year awards, but show me something that was in it's class and offered more than it did for the money. I'm not even sure there WAS anything in it's class.

The STS-V was simply priced out of it's class. It's a phenomenal car in every sense, but $78k was about $15k too high a price for what it offered. With a better interior than an M5 or E55, and the inherently lower maintenance costs vs. the German offerings, it could have been a winner. But not at almost $80k. Even the new CTS-V, which wipes the floor with it's German competition, is cheaper.

We can agree on one thing... the STS-V was overpriced. At $60k it could have been the deal of the century. I also agree the CTS-V is a true BMW and Mercedes killer.

Oh damn that's two things we can agree on. Do I get a prize?

ryannel2003
07-18-12, 02:59 PM

Isn't it obvious? I mean the G6 is dead and Honda sells anywhere from 300-400k Accords a year, so they must all have really crappy plastic interiors and horrible, loud 4 cylinders and a slow V6. Car and Driver must be wrong too, they've only had the car up there what, 20 some times now?

Brandon, I'm sorry I have hijacked your thread. That wasn't my intention.

The Raven
07-18-12, 03:13 PM
Isn't it obvious? I mean the G6 is dead and Honda sells anywhere from 300-400k Accords a year, so they must all have really crappy plastic interiors and horrible, loud 4 cylinders and a slow V6. Car and Driver must be wrong too, they've only had the car up there what, 20 some times now?.

Just wanted to clarify...the G6 is dead because Pontiac is dead, Pontiac is dead because it's parent company declared bankruptcy.

truckinman
07-18-12, 03:17 PM
Me too...they are 90% of what makes up a car forum. People argue to the death over things that can never be proven one way or another, using statistics formed from other people's opinions, all in an attempt to prove a point that has no bearing whatsoever on reality in the first place.

Many online "automotive journalists" that are quoted as proof have less automotive experience than the person quoting them. You should see the "Drive" section of my local paper. I have no idea where they get these writers, but they could probably get more informed articles out of high school drama club teachers. I have to say that my personal favorite was the Ferrari 458 Road Test where the writer gave driving impressions of the car without ever actually setting foot in it.

Yes sir. That's why when I read about a car in magazines and such, I usually just read about the statistics of the car bc just about everything else is that journalists opinion and nothing more.

The Raven
07-18-12, 03:40 PM
Yes sir. That's why when I read about a car in magazines and such, I usually just read about the statistics of the car bc just about everything else is that journalists opinion and nothing more.

Yeah but even that method, as evidenced by the ZL1 vs. GT500 tests of recent, tells you very little since magazine test drivers appear to be getting worse as the cars they drive improve. IF you read nothing but the specs in those tests, you would end up buying a GT500, proudly taking it to the circuit only to be schooled by all the ZL1s that are there that day. In the Motor Trend test, the GT500 had the fastest lap, by a hair, in addition to the faster 1/4 mile. However, when you read into the article, you learn that the GT500's lap was a fluke, and it actually finished every other lap over 1 sec slower than the ZL1 on a fast track, where it should have had an advantage thanks to it's higher hp.

You really have to take in all the info and make an informed decision for yourself, which is precisely what leads to threads like this one.

CadillacLuke24
07-18-12, 05:24 PM
The Accord, the Camry, the Beetle pre 2012 update, the Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape, and related vehicles sell for one reason.

Women and the automotively retarded (which happens to be most women) love these vehicles.

Accords are nothing special. Compared to my DeVille, the 2010 Accord I rode in was a plasticky piece of sheit with sheity plastic feel seats, plastic feel doors, and a plastic look. Say what you will about the 90s Northstar DeVilles, but they were presented well IMHO.

gary88
07-18-12, 05:41 PM
I don't know, it looks pretty decent to me. Definitely not bad for $25k or whatever they go for.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/28accordcoupereview2010.jpg

The Raven
07-18-12, 06:16 PM
I don't know, it looks pretty decent to me. Definitely not bad for $25k or whatever they go for.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/28accordcoupereview2010.jpg

It does look fine, until you look at it's competitors. The Malibu's interior looks like a Lexus when compared to the Accord.

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/n/2/1/ag_08malibultz_intleft.jpg

Playdrv4me
07-18-12, 06:29 PM
This guy knows whats up. The exhaust on the Grand Prix GXP is intoxicating. I test drove a beat one and it ripped the steering wheel right out of my hands when I took off from a on ramp, tread was super worn (which I think was part of the torque steer problem) but man that was a fast car.

Considering they're on the same platform, why would this be any different on the Impala?

Honestly, when I see that generation GP, the first thing I think of is "Somebody went car shopping with Dad". Sure, the Impala is nothing special but then we are talking about mid-sized family cars. At least the Impala looks like something a proper pharmaceutical rep would drive. From the rear, there's even a litte of sprinkle of DTS back there with that tasteful chrome strip some of them have.

Jesda
07-18-12, 08:09 PM
First - What you posted are subjective impressions, thus right and wrong do not apply

Second - I know you're not stupid, and have been around the automotive world for some time, thus you must have encountered at least one of the many documented cases of import bias shown by Edmunds and the affiliates of Consumer Union. This is not new, nor is it "little known".

Clearly, everyone is conspiring against you. Everyone simply neglects to see the beauty and lustre of the G6 interior.

Also, 9/11 was caused by aliens.

Aron9000
07-18-12, 09:26 PM
Pontiac's cars in the 00's were mediocre at best, except for the hot rod models from Australia and the Trans Am.

This was the best looking Pontiac of the 2000's, BY FAR. Love it or hate it, you cannot deny the balls it took to build something this crazy and over the top.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/851000-851999/851422_2_full.jpg

When they killed off the Trans Am, I knew Pontiac was done for.

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 09:29 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/851000-851999/851422_2_full.jpg

With those I've got a love/hate relationship... They're so freaking awesome, but they're garish at the same time. I don't understand, but I like it. It's pretty bad ass. I'd take one over the equivalent Camaro any day of the week.

Jesda
07-18-12, 09:53 PM
Very small gripe: I wish the front wheels on the F-body were further forward from the windshield.

Aron9000
07-18-12, 10:08 PM
Very small gripe: I wish the front wheels on the F-body were further forward from the windshield.

Or there wasn't 2' of front overhang. Seriously there is about 2' between the tip of the front bumper and the water pump.

The Raven
07-18-12, 10:21 PM
With those I've got a love/hate relationship... They're so freaking awesome, but they're garish at the same time. I don't understand, but I like it. It's pretty bad ass. I'd take one over the equivalent Camaro any day of the week.

I HATED the 1998 WS6 when I first saw it. I was so mad too because I have always loved the later third gen T/A's. But within two years of it's release, I grew to respect the super-agressive look of the 98-02 T/A, and even today I think it's one of the best looking American performance vehicles ever built.

I still really miss my WS6 on those warm summer evenings that are perfect for t-top-less cruising.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee257/blakbird24/HDR1a.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee257/blakbird24/HDR1small.jpg?t=1310331122

Stingroo
07-18-12, 10:48 PM
Pontiac's cars in the 00's were mediocre at best, except for the hot rod models from Australia and the Trans Am.

This was the best looking Pontiac of the 2000's, BY FAR. Love it or hate it, you cannot deny the balls it took to build something this crazy and over the top.

When they killed off the Trans Am, I knew Pontiac was done for.

Oh god. It's a Sunset Orange T/A.

Excuse me while I go change my pantaloons.

CadillacLuke24
07-19-12, 01:13 AM
I'ma guessing it goes like this in the Automotive Hierchy of Stingroo.

ORANGE CARS OMG!!!!!!!!!
Chevrolet
Cadillac/Pontiac

:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-12, 01:39 AM
One of the nicest GXP's I've ever seen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-PONTIAC-GRAND-PRIX-GXP-10K-LOW-MILES-ONE-OWNER-LIKE-NEW-FULLY-LOADED-/160845651833?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item257325df79#ht_500wt_1182

truckinman
07-19-12, 09:58 AM
One of the nicest GXP's I've ever seen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-PONTIAC-GRAND-PRIX-GXP-10K-LOW-MILES-ONE-OWNER-LIKE-NEW-FULLY-LOADED-/160845651833?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item257325df79#ht_500wt_1182

I saw that on eBay yesterday and drooled over that pic for quite some time. That color is just amazing on that particular car.

Destroyer
07-20-12, 11:04 PM
The review was good in a book-report(ish) kinda of way but the car sucks and the person that likes it simply hasn't been exposed to much better. Sorry. :(

Destroyer
07-20-12, 11:07 PM
It does look fine, until you look at it's competitors. The Malibu's interior looks like a Lexus when compared to the Accord.

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/n/2/1/ag_08malibultz_intleft.jpgI'm not seeing that at all. Are we looking at the different colors on the Chebby and thinking it looks classier?

cadillac kevin
07-20-12, 11:22 PM
The review was good in a book-report(ish) kinda of way but the car sucks and the person that likes it simply hasn't been exposed to much better. Sorry. :(

Well...he does drive a sebring.

Still, I feel a 9/10 is very generous for one of the more boring cars from the company that "builds excitement."

Destroyer
07-20-12, 11:36 PM
Well...he does drive a sebring.

Still, I feel a 9/10 is very generous for one of the more boring cars from the company that "builds excitement."Probably feels like a Benz next to a Sebring. A really ugly, shitty Benz but a Benz nonetheless. :) Cars like the G6 are the reasons we don't miss Pontiac. The classic Pontiacs and more recent T/A's and GTO's are the reasons we do. :)

brandondeleo
07-21-12, 04:46 AM
I don't understand you people at all. :bigroll: ...well, it's not nearly as comfortable as my car. Anyhow, how many of you in the peanut gallery have actually driven a G6, let alone lived with one? Or a Sebring for that matter? Oh, and Kevin... At least I have a car that can drive down the road. (Albeit not quickly. :lol: )

I've driven more than my fair share of cars, but I'm sorry I haven't experienced the grandeur of a Cube or a Crosstour. :tisk:

BTW Chad, I got the opportunity to hoon around in a Regal GS today. That's one fun car. Definitely would like to own one of those. It's a shame I didn't have the space to let the XJR loose today, either.

Jesda
07-21-12, 05:50 AM
G6 was at least competent. It's built on a proven and respected platform and perfectly dependable.

It's the Grand Am, popular with rental fleets and teenage girls, that makes us hate Pontiac.

ryannel2003
07-21-12, 10:36 AM
When my STS was in the shop I was always given an G6 to drive... which is part of my dislike for them comes from. One of the biggest issues I had with that car was the video game like steering. It didn't feel like it was connected to the wheels; that's why I still like the Accord, the steering does have some resemblance of feel compared to the other cars in its class.

The Raven
07-21-12, 10:45 AM
I'm not seeing that at all. Are we looking at the different colors on the Chebby and thinking it looks classier?

No, i'm looking at the fact that all top facing surfaces are vinyl or leather (unlike the accord), there's no pebble-textured plastic (unlike the accord), and everything is laid out with ergonomics in mind (again unlike the accord). In the Malibu I never had to lean forward to do anything. In the accord I had to lean forward just to move the damn shifter. The pretty colors are just a bonus.

If you disagree that the Malibu had the best interior of any of it's 2008 competition, then you CLEARLY have never driven one, or you've never driven it's competitors.

I don't understand you people at all. :bigroll: ...well, it's not nearly as comfortable as my car. Anyhow, how many of you in the peanut gallery have actually driven a G6, let alone lived with one? Or a Sebring for that matter? Oh, and Kevin... At least I have a car that can drive down the road. (Albeit not quickly. :lol: )

I've driven more than my fair share of cars, but I'm sorry I haven't experienced the grandeur of a Cube or a Crosstour.

Most of the people who talk about cars online have never actually driven them. Many people still love to try to put down domestic vehicles, and even more so now that they are often better than their import competition.

The Crosstour is Honda's Aztek. There is only one thing Honda has ever done well...small vehicles/engines. Every time they try to venture out of the small form factor, they fail. The bigger the accord gets, the worse it gets. The Ridgeline is a sales flop, as are the Crosstour and Element. Even now they are struggling with the Civic...Honda is all over the place right now. They need to get back to basics, and concentrate on what they've always done well. Motorcycles, Lawnmowers (my 1985 Honda lawn tractor is phenomenal, and still runs like new), and small cars.

When my STS was in the shop I was always given an G6 to drive... which is part of my dislike for them comes from. One of the biggest issues I had with that car was the video game like steering. It didn't feel like it was connected to the wheels; that's why I still like the Accord, the steering does have some resemblance of feel compared to the other cars in its class.

Wow...you and I could not disagree more on this subject. One of the things I hated the most about the 07 Accord was the springy steering. The return pressure is way too high, making it feel like the car is trying to yank the wheel from your hands. My grandfather had a 1990 Buick Skylark that was like this...in a turn, if you release the wheel, it would "explode" back in the other direction like it was loaded with a giant spring. The accord was just like this. I thought the G6 had perfectly fine steering...better, in fact than the 2005 GP GXP that I drove, which I found to have way too forgiving a steering wheel.

drewsdeville
07-21-12, 11:17 AM
If you disagree that the Malibu had the best interior of any of it's 2008 competition, then you CLEARLY have never driven one, or you've never driven it's competitors.

My GF and I OWN one (2009, 2LT trim), and even after 35k miles with it, I disagree. We shopped this class in and out when we were buying. We found the Malibu to be relatively comfortable, but calling the interior class leading is a stretch at best. It is a nice layout, but there are still many hints of circa 2000 plastics and hard touch surfaces that many competitors had retired years ago, and there are horribly nasty blind spots (not directly related to interior design, but still contributes to overall interior comfort). We did find the car as a whole to be a better value, however, which is why we purchased.

brandondeleo
07-21-12, 11:30 AM
there are horribly nasty blind spots (not directly related to interior design, but still contributes to overall interior comfort)
I totally forgot to mention that in the review... The rear blind spots are humongous in the G6.

ryannel2003
07-21-12, 11:45 AM
Wow...you and I could not disagree more on this subject. One of the things I hated the most about the 07 Accord was the springy steering. The return pressure is way too high, making it feel like the car is trying to yank the wheel from your hands. My grandfather had a 1990 Buick Skylark that was like this...in a turn, if you release the wheel, it would "explode" back in the other direction like it was loaded with a giant spring. The accord was just like this. I thought the G6 had perfectly fine steering...better, in fact than the 2005 GP GXP that I drove, which I found to have way too forgiving a steering wheel.

That's because the V6 G6's use hydraulic steering (aka normal) and the 4 cylinders use electric steering. The GTP models were optioned up with the normal steering because people complained about the electric steering feel, or lack thereof. The higher end models do have nice steering.

I will admit, the V6 models aren't bad cars. They actually drive decently. But I still wouldn't have paid $30k for one brand new when not only was the Accord a more quality feeling car, the resale value is much, much better. Plus I really hate the chrome shifter knob... when you live in a place that easily tops 100 degrees it definitely gets hot to the touch.

The Raven
07-21-12, 12:58 PM
My GF and I OWN one (2009, 2LT trim), and even after 35k miles with it, I disagree. We shopped this class in and out when we were buying. We found the Malibu to be relatively comfortable, but calling the interior class leading is a stretch at best. It is a nice layout, but there are still many hints of circa 2000 plastics and hard touch surfaces that many competitors had retired years ago, and there are horribly nasty blind spots (not directly related to interior design, but still contributes to overall interior comfort). We did find the car as a whole to be a better value, however, which is why we purchased.

But, again, how much time have you spent with it's competition? There is no way you can tell me with a straight face that the Camry or Accord had a better interior. I know from 60k miles with an Accord that the Accord DID NOT. The Malibu's interior is phenomenal...certainly the design and colors are not for everyone, but objectively they did everything right with this car.

I totally forgot to mention that in the review... The rear blind spots are humongous in the G6.

I've come to accept this as the norm for a modern car. The last vehicle that I owned (and this includes sedans, coupes, and trucks) that had what I would call "good" rear visibility was my 1995 Yukon. My STS-V and my wife's CTS are abysmal in this category, and the G6 and accord were only very slightly better.

That's because the V6 G6's use hydraulic steering (aka normal) and the 4 cylinders use electric steering. The GTP models were optioned up with the normal steering because people complained about the electric steering feel, or lack thereof. The higher end models do have nice steering.

I will admit, the V6 models aren't bad cars. They actually drive decently. But I still wouldn't have paid $30k for one brand new when not only was the Accord a more quality feeling car, the resale value is much, much better. Plus I really hate the chrome shifter knob... when you live in a place that easily tops 100 degrees it definitely gets hot to the touch.

The electric steering was garbage. But you can't buy a base model 4-cyl sedan and expect refinement. The hybrid steering systems they are now using are great, and we're starting to see some 4-cyl motors out there that can reasonably handle a midsize sedan. However, that was not the case in the G6's time. In the last decade, you bought a 4-cylinder midsize sedan if you wanted cheap, efficient transportation. If you wanted comfort, quiet, refinement, and gadgets, you did as I always do and buy the top model with a real motor.

I paid just over $25k out the door for the G6 GTP in july 2006. The Accord was almost $29k (dealer laughed at the idea of coming down in price, "this is a Honda", they said), and the Camry would have been about $300 cheaper than the accord out the door. When you take into account all the trips to the dealer and the time without the accord, and the fact that the G6 needed nothing in the time I had it...it looks like a no-brainer from my point of view.

Stingroo
07-21-12, 01:11 PM
"This is a Honda" they said?

"This is my ass, and this is your door I will be walking through," I'd have said.

drewsdeville
07-21-12, 04:31 PM
But, again, how much time have you spent with it's competition? There is no way you can tell me with a straight face that the Camry or Accord had a better interior.

Time? What does that have to do with it? You shouldn't have to spend outrageous amounts of time to grow into the interior - it should just "fit" you with no compromises. If time changes your opinion, you are probably getting used to the compromises you are making.

The Malibu got the same amount of time as it's competitors when we were shopping. I had formed my opinion during this period. It didn't get more time, it didn't get less. This is the same, unbiased opinion that I had after spending a few hours with each while shopping.

The Malibu has many more competitors outside of the Accord and Camry. I do not feel that the Malibu's interior blew all of it's competitors out of the water. Sorry.

FWIW, I found the Honda's interior to be all around pretty comfortable, but the center dashboard layout for the radio/climate controls irritated me. Unnecessary complication - too many buttons. It reminded me of GM luxury cars in the late '80's. Owners claim that it makes sense once you get used to it, but that's not how I feel it should be. I like clean and simple ergonomics. The Honda dashboard does not offer that. Else, I thought materials quality was fine, seating comfort was great, less blind spots, and felt more spacious.

Of course, with the Honda premium price that was mentioned, it wasn't a good enough value to consider.

vincentm
07-21-12, 09:20 PM
This for sure. Absolutely. :cloud9:
I think i just found my second car, an 09 G8 GXP

Aron9000
07-23-12, 03:32 AM
Time? What does that have to do with it? You shouldn't have to spend outrageous amounts of time to grow into the interior - it should just "fit" you with no compromises. If time changes your opinion, you are probably getting used to the compromises you are making.

The Malibu got the same amount of time as it's competitors when we were shopping. I had formed my opinion during this period. It didn't get more time, it didn't get less. This is the same, unbiased opinion that I had after spending a few hours with each while shopping.

The Malibu has many more competitors outside of the Accord and Camry. I do not feel that the Malibu's interior blew all of it's competitors out of the water. Sorry.

FWIW, I found the Honda's interior to be all around pretty comfortable, but the center dashboard layout for the radio/climate controls irritated me. Unnecessary complication - too many buttons. It reminded me of GM luxury cars in the late '80's. Owners claim that it makes sense once you get used to it, but that's not how I feel it should be. I like clean and simple ergonomics. The Honda dashboard does not offer that. Else, I thought materials quality was fine, seating comfort was great, less blind spots, and felt more spacious.

Of course, with the Honda premium price that was mentioned, it wasn't a good enough value to consider.

I concour about late model honda products having way too many buttons on the center stack. It too reminds me of the old late 80's/early 90's GM mantra "moar buttons equals moar luxury equals more price equals moar profit!!!!". And I say that same damn principle applies to late model Honda's and Acuras. Be it a loaded Acura TL or MDX or a base model Accord or CR-V, all the dashes have a similar layout/feel, I feel like you're paying more for the fancy leather and wood trim, it seems like the overall feel/look is the same in their 25k car as it is in their 45k car. That being said, I can't fault a Honda interior for "feeling" flimsy or cheap, but IMO some of their base models in drab grey do tend to "look" cheap.

Jesda
07-23-12, 05:25 AM
I say, the more buttons the merrier, but that's generally not a good thing for most of the driving public.

brandondeleo
07-23-12, 05:28 AM
I say, the more buttons the merrier, but that's generally not a good thing for most of the driving public.
...I think there's a limit somewhere. :histeric:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/2005%20745Li/DSCN1577.jpg

Aron9000
07-23-12, 05:56 AM

As for a historical example, the early 80's Camaro Berlinetta. Digital dash, push button everything, hell the whole radio assembly swiveled to face the driver or passenger.
http://berlinetta.info/images/StarshipCamaro1.jpg

Modern Example, 2012 Acura TL:
http://newcarmodel.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-Acura-TL-Dashboard.jpg

brandondeleo
07-23-12, 06:30 AM
http://newcarmodel.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-Acura-TL-Dashboard.jpg
I really like that.

Aron9000
07-23-12, 07:35 AM
I really like that.

I guess that's why they sell. Personally I HATE that interior. Reminds me of the bridge set of a Star Destroyer.

brandondeleo
07-23-12, 07:40 AM
Reminds me of the bridge set of a Star Destroyer.
No idea what you're talking about there. :lol: Assuming Star Wars or Trek or one of those movies/shows.

cadillac kevin
07-23-12, 03:47 PM
As for a historical example, the early 80's Camaro Berlinetta. Digital dash, push button everything, hell the whole radio assembly swiveled to face the driver or passenger.

Must be the 80s/ 90s in me, but I think that camaro dash is awesome.

vincentm
07-23-12, 04:06 PM
I guess that's why they sell. Personally I HATE that interior. Reminds me of the bridge set of a Star Destroyer.

:yeah:

Playdrv4me
07-23-12, 10:16 PM
The E65 pictured above is ironically PRECISELY the reason buttons are so GOOD. When you replace all the damn buttons with 10 levels of menu, you begin to understand why the buttons exist.

drewsdeville
07-23-12, 10:27 PM
The day where we will be able to fully customize our own interfaces rather than be forced into the manufacturer's standard is rapidly approaching. When it does, your beloved buttons will disappear.

brandondeleo
07-24-12, 01:21 AM
The E65 pictured above is ironically PRECISELY the reason buttons are so GOOD. When you replace all the damn buttons with 10 levels of menu, you begin to understand why the buttons exist.
iDrive...

*shudder*

ryannel2003
07-24-12, 02:52 AM
iDrive has finally become decent in the newest BMW's.

Jesda
07-24-12, 03:00 AM
The day where we will be able to fully customize our own interfaces rather than be forced into the manufacturer's standard is rapidly approaching. When it does, your beloved buttons will disappear.

I see that happening as well.

Once people get sick of the half-assed functionality of touch-everything controls, we'll go back to logical buttons and knobs, the same way the 90s wiped out some of the instrumentation excesses of the 80s.

Playdrv4me
07-24-12, 03:57 AM
iDrive has finally become decent in the newest BMW's.

I didn't necessarily mind iDrive way back in its FIRST generation, as it was a MONUMENTAL leap forward from what BMW had just before it, but I'm also an electronics guru and didn't find it terribly difficult to run. However, back when most people didn't even have a SMARTPHONE yet, it must have been hellacious for most average people to learn. I thought it improved drastically once they returned some of the primary buttons and controls to the console and relinquished them from the clutches of iDrive. Now it's just about perfect (and a lot of lessons were learned with Audi's MMI, which was designed by the same company).

gary88
07-24-12, 01:42 PM
The newest version of idrive is really impressive. 1.3Ghz Intel processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, Nvidia graphics, 200GB hard drive, optional LTE hotspot, 3rd party app integration, and the control knob has a touch surface.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6338/1jdps.jpg

orconn
07-24-12, 01:52 PM
Wow! Looks like the cat's meow to me!

ryannel2003
07-24-12, 02:17 PM
The newest version of idrive is really impressive. 1.3Ghz Intel processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, Nvidia graphics, 200GB hard drive, optional LTE hotspot, 3rd party app integration, and the control knob has a touch surface.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6338/1jdps.jpg

Is the touch surface included with the '13 7-Series? I haven't noticed it before in any of the other newer BMW's I've driven.

ryannel2003
07-24-12, 02:19 PM
I didn't necessarily mind iDrive way back in its FIRST generation, as it was a MONUMENTAL leap forward from what BMW had just before it, but I'm also an electronics guru and didn't find it terribly difficult to run. However, back when most people didn't even have a SMARTPHONE yet, it must have been hellacious for most average people to learn. I thought it improved drastically once they returned some of the primary buttons and controls to the console and relinquished them from the clutches of iDrive. Now it's just about perfect (and a lot of lessons were learned with Audi's MMI, which was designed by the same company).

Oh I found it horribly slow and difficult to use and I'm definitely a tech guy. Even my friend and I struggled with it in his '07 650i and it was constantly having issues with slowness and sometimes it just refused to work. The latest '12 535i that I rode in seemed excellent in comparison. Very fast, virtually no lag, and wonderful graphics.

gary88
07-24-12, 02:20 PM
It comes out in China first this month, then we get it sometime next year.

orconn
07-24-12, 02:51 PM
Well, the Chinese won't be hindered by a long history of "buttons" in their previous cars!