: Looking to buy a CTS-V - help me review this car!

carlson_mn
07-15-12, 09:41 PM
Hey guys/gals,

Really been looking to get into an LS2 V car for a while now. I am in an 06 Altima 3.5 with a 5 sp manual and have enjoyed the last 5 years but am longing for a V.

This ad will expire on July 17th but please take a look and review it for me, maybe somebody knows the owner or the car if you from the PA area. It has light mods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300740004088&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#vi-contentgigamovesId

The price is right and the seller has sent me his phone number so I will call him soon.

The car has 90k mile so should I expect the struts/shocks to be shot? How many belts does the LS2 have and I assume the belts should have been changed already once?

Are there any real issues with the LS2 that exist that would warrant me getting a review of the car at a dealer or a compression check?

Sorry for the newb questions, but if anyone has any tips let me know. Thank you, and look forward to getting on the forum after finding myself a V.

I did read this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/250150-2006-cts-v-buying-tips.html

rand49er
07-15-12, 10:14 PM
Has it been tuned to make full use of the headers? Ad doesn't say.

The only belt is a serpentine belt, and that's a piece of cake to change. The timing chain won't need to be even looked at for another 60k miles. Do Carfax, ask about maintenance records, and the rest is just like any other car with 400 hp.

Any chance of driving it or someone else driving it who knows Vs?

Good luck!

carlson_mn
07-15-12, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the response.... I would be doing a fly and drive from MN and would be doing a test drive myself. From what I understand all LS2 cars have an upgraded rear end, but that it is still good to listen for whine from the rear end. I guess I should expect the transmission to be a bit clunky.

While I can afford the purchase price of the car I'm a very middle income level of guy so I just don't want a car that is expensive to maintain - which is why I am looking at the Gen1 CTS-V, seems pretty reliable and the LS2 seems pretty straight forward (compared to what the germans offer, etc

Oh - while I know a tune is ideal should I expect any poor running with this car with headers but without a tune?

HAMSTAR
07-15-12, 10:42 PM
If you like that car, you need to snap it up on the buy it now price, before a bidding war begins, which will happen shortly. That car is easily worth 16.5.

mstrjon32
07-16-12, 11:29 AM
Suspiciously low price is suspiciously low. Check to see if it's been wrecked or something...

Scott2012
07-17-12, 03:24 PM
Suspiciously low price is suspiciously low. Check to see if it's been wrecked or something...

That's a heck of a great price... I'd check it out closely. I saw that too and if working' for a living didn't get in the way, it would be worth a trip to check it out! Good luck!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-12, 07:31 PM
I see you've received some great feedback so far, Carlson_mn! If you would like me to look up build code information or get the details on any warranties, etc., that may still be applicable on the V, email me anytime (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Thank you for considering Cadillac! :)

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

JDB
07-17-12, 08:17 PM
It's a hike, but close enough to me if you're serious about it to look at it for you.

GDPossehl
07-18-12, 12:48 AM
Definitely take up that offer for having another EXPERIENCED V guy look at it for you. I wish I had one with me when buying.

carlson_mn
07-23-12, 12:30 AM
Thank you for the advice and offers people. I am deciding to wait for something more local to me. It just turned out to be too much of a gamble to travel cross country and possibly find something to turn me away from the car, between transportation costs and missing work.

There's not a V's here in MN as the all-wheel drive imports tend to rule here but I am definitely holding out for a nice V!

mstrjon32
07-23-12, 03:08 AM
It's always better to buy a car locally, but I suppose I did have both of my last two cars shipped quite a distance. My V was shipped from Oklahoma to Maryland and my Sky was shipped from Texas all the way across the ocean to Germany. Neither was exactly as described (the V had some problems...the Saturn was almost perfect, but had a little wear on the top I didn't hear about before hand), but sometimes you have to take a bit of a gamble to get the exact car you want, and I'm happy with both.

carlson_mn
07-26-12, 02:12 PM
It's a hike, but close enough to me if you're serious about it to look at it for you.

If this is something you could do, let me know ... I don't see a PM feature on this site so please e-mail me at carlson_mn@yahoo.com. I would compensate you for your time. thanks!

alradco
07-26-12, 03:27 PM
There's lots of good deals out there. Since you're willing to travel, I personally would look for a West Coast car that hasn't been in snow for the last 5-8 years. Light mods aren't a problem but as mentioned above, if someone modded a car and never tuned it, there could be damage that you might be faced with. I've bought heavily modified vehicles before so if you go that route, just make sure you have it thoroughly inspected. I think a V1 is one of the best bang for the buck cars out there right now. good luck.

Peter

Tackelbarry
07-26-12, 09:31 PM
I have one I may be willing to sell if you are serious. It is a 2004 with 48,000 miles and a clean car fax. It has no engine modifications and has been in either Fla. or N.C. its whole life. ie. NO RUST! This is actually one of the more rare cars as it has the light beige interior (197 total built) but is also the sunroof delete, which makes it even more rare. I had the Extreme Composites hood installed and also have the original hood in storage. All fluids are up to date/just changed and I also installed a PISNUOFFS short throw shifter. It has new brake pads on all 4 corners along with new Continental extreme contact DW tires. I discovered a very slow radiator leak after I bought it so I upgraded to an Alradco all aluminum fully welded unit. There is also a custom trunk enclosure/storage area. My plan was to do a track day at VIR but I just don't have the time and cannot justify beating on a car like this. This is nice car. If you are a serious buyer e-mail me at sjensatncdotrrdotcom and I will answer any other questions.

carlson_mn
07-27-12, 12:52 AM
Well guys I have a deposit on the 2006 car I was interested in. Wish me luck on my journey to pick her up.

JDB
07-28-12, 10:18 PM
if this is something you could do, let me know ... I don't see a pm feature on this site so please e-mail me at carlson_mn@yahoo.com. I would compensate you for your time. Thanks!

ygm.

carlson_mn
07-28-12, 11:31 PM
Thank you for contacting me again. To everyone else I plan on picking up an 06 out of the SE Pennsylvania area later next week, then driving it back to MN. Hopefully everything is cool with the car, seller seems very cool and legit.

Overall compared to a lot of luxury sport sedans the LS2 V seems like a very fundamentally straight-forward and basically reliable vehicle. I am assuming things like motor mounts and possibly suspension may be worn, but otherwise I am not worried about the tranny or LS2 engine, they should be good if my research on these vehicles holds true.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-30-12, 11:49 AM
Thank you for contacting me again. To everyone else I plan on picking up an 06 out of the SE Pennsylvania area later next week, then driving it back to MN. Hopefully everything is cool with the car, seller seems very cool and legit.

This is excellent news, Carlson! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, and I look forward to seeing pics and hearing initial feedback when you get a chance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Hockeyref
07-30-12, 09:15 PM

Overall compared to a lot of luxury sport sedans the LS2 V seems like a very fundamentally straight-forward and basically reliable vehicle. I am assuming things like motor mounts and possibly suspension may be worn, but otherwise I am not worried about the tranny or LS2 engine, they should be good if my research on these vehicles holds true.

Well I just read your posts on looking for a 2006 CTSV-I flew about 1200 miles to pick mine up on the west coast last year. I fortunately had a friend living there who looked at it for me beforehand, Mine is completely stock except for a cold air intake and the cags eliminator. I have been thinking about a change and I live 6 hours from Minneapolis-if you are still looking send me a note at Ron.rhonda,epp@gmail.com

carlson_mn
07-30-12, 09:48 PM
Thanks - right now I have a deal in place. If it doesn't work out I'll let you know! Now go buy an axle or a lightweight flywheel :duck:

Hockeyref
07-31-12, 01:17 AM
Planning to get the revshift diff bushing, diff block and trans mount, as well as the creative steel flex disk in the next week.

carlson_mn
08-07-12, 11:18 PM
I fly out tomorrow morning to pickup the 06 V mentioned in post 1. Seller put it back up on Ebay last week and I bought it after talking to him.

Wish me luck, I'll be back in MN on Thursday evening.

Scott2012
08-07-12, 11:46 PM
I fly out tomorrow morning to pickup the 06 V mentioned in post 1. Seller put it back up on Ebay last week and I bought it after talking to him.

Wish me luck, I'll be back in MN on Thursday evening.

Rock on! Another v in Minnesota !

carlson_mn
08-08-12, 06:09 PM
I am on my way... car seems awesome so far. VERY good condition for 90k miles. Minimal if any clunking from the tranny/diff. tough to see motor mounts but they seem fine. Kooks headers and magnaflow sounds great if a little bit of drone when under load (going up hills on highway). He must have the 1 7/8" headers, they do not rub the stearing column except if you hit it good in 1st or 2nd gear when the engine rocks back a bit. It is very minimal, I cannot feel it but you can hear a little tapping. He told me about that, I did some googling while resting here and looks like its fine and common to just whack the one header pipe a few times to move the mm or two it needs for a bit more clearance.

Suspension seems to handle well but it is a bit rough over sloppy highway expansion joints. I'm coming from a 06 Altima with springs and performance KYBs and gotta say the V does feel heavy in comparison but I can tell it is planted. It has perfect tint and fresh tires. Headlights need some restoring they look dusty at first glance. All maintenance is up to date so I feel real good. I will probably send the ECU out for a cheap tune. You guys will hate me if I tell you what I picked it up for.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/carlsonmn/Cadillac%20CTS-V/DSCN8437.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/carlsonmn/Cadillac%20CTS-V/DSCN8438.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/carlsonmn/Cadillac%20CTS-V/DSCN8440.jpg

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/carlsonmn/Cadillac%20CTS-V/DSCN8442.jpg

06CTS-V
08-08-12, 11:09 PM
I got to see this car in person. Nice ride. Enjoy it. Would love to see throse wheels you just got for it on the car... It was a pleasure to meet another fellow V owner...

carlson_mn
08-09-12, 03:49 AM
there will be pics eventually with those on the car! I'll get a teaser shot out soon.

carlson_mn
08-09-12, 04:00 AM
Only real issue I want to look at when getting home is the rear axle is pretty dirty, looks like it may have a possible leak, it is greasy looking (not dripping but it is oily and dirty). I will do a fluid change.

The shifter needs a rehab. I'm used to shifting with two fingers with my Nissan. This one is a bit finicky. Seems that is the norm though.