: Cost of a paint job

kellycaughron
07-15-12, 08:29 AM
Hi All, I am entertaing painting my 2010 White Diamond. It is currently Vanella Latte. Why? Just love the white. Anyone painted their STS lately? Thanks!!

curtc
07-15-12, 12:33 PM
Properly done, $3k+

B1n2fra
07-15-12, 01:07 PM
After a small fender bender my fender repainted was $1225. That's only paint and paint supplies not the prep work and pulling the dent. White diamond is nice but expensive. They suggested painting my entire car cause it was so hard to match but they got it done.

Eldo1953
07-15-12, 01:42 PM
I would sell the Vanilla and buy a white diamond one as a perfect paint job in white diamond would be 8-10k.

LiquidTrader
07-15-12, 01:52 PM
After a small fender bender my fender repainted was $1225. That's only paint and paint supplies not the prep work and pulling the dent. White diamond is nice but expensive. They suggested painting my entire car cause it was so hard to match but they got it done.

Damn! Someone just gave me a nice rear fender bender. Put a dent into the panel that the gas is on. I have a charcoal grey sts. Was yours that much because of the white diamond - wondering if mine would be cheaper?

KRSTS
07-15-12, 02:34 PM
Properly done, $3k+

More like $5K for a job done right. Besides a repaint is never as good as factory. Why not just sell the Vanilla and but a WD? Would make more sense.

B1n2fra
07-15-12, 03:10 PM
Damn! Someone just gave me a nice rear fender bender. Put a dent into the panel that the gas is on. I have a charcoal grey sts. Was yours that much because of the white diamond - wondering if mine would be cheaper?

Yours should be cheaper. The paint is what the 1225 was. The dent was about the size of a half dollar. Pulling and sanding the dent was an additional $650. Insurance paid the bill. If they repainted the whole car it would of been damn near 4-5k at the insurance cost of coarse but I didn't want to risk the paint not being the same so I just said to match the fender.

kellycaughron
07-15-12, 03:55 PM
I'll live with the vanilla for now. I was just curious about cost. Your right, a repaint would not be as good as factory. Thanks for the info.

Cadjiek
07-15-12, 05:54 PM
How in the heck would they paint all the nooks and cranies?? I'm stll finding unpainted areas on my car after 5 years and it was new from the factory.

LiquidTrader
07-15-12, 06:45 PM
Yours should be cheaper. The paint is what the 1225 was. The dent was about the size of a half dollar. Pulling and sanding the dent was an additional $650. Insurance paid the bill. If they repainted the whole car it would of been damn near 4-5k at the insurance cost of coarse but I didn't want to risk the paint not being the same so I just said to match the fender.

Mine is a line about a foot and a half long. I wonder how much the paint, pulling and sanding will be

KRSTS
07-15-12, 10:12 PM
How in the heck would they paint all the nooks and cranies?? I'm stll finding unpainted areas on my car after 5 years and it was new from the factory.

its all in the prep. String under the rubber so the paint gets underneath, VERY careful masking etc. Lots of skill required to do a first class job.

dkozloski
07-15-12, 11:16 PM
Earl Scheib $49.95, no ups, no extras. Includes $10.00 free body work. They paint the whole car with one quart of paint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkdtOOYdQOs

rnkath08
07-16-12, 08:59 AM
I'll let you know....mine is still at the paint shop, repainting same black with some pearl on the cowel. Initital estimate was $3k if I could let them take their time, may be well more based on once they get into it...meanwhile I'm just pacing and waiting like a kid waiting for Christmas....

eatyoursandwich
07-16-12, 09:58 AM
Wait wait wait.

I've been painting cars for years.

A complete color change (which requires all panels to be removed, engine pulled, stripped, prepped, sprayed) on an STS, anyone offering to do that for less than $5,000, I would be very very very very very weary about that. What quality paint are they using? Are they masking or disassembling? What guarantees come with it, etc?

If you're just changing shades or having a respray of your original shade, different story.

Also, you realize this is basically going to destroy your resale value, right?

kellycaughron
07-17-12, 08:12 PM
Thanks a million sandwich. I gonna stick with the vanilla. Lots of stuff I don't know about and paint is one. I can engineer the computer comm. but paint I can not. Thanks

malatu
07-18-12, 12:54 AM
Yes, it's hard for some to believe .... modifications destroy your resale value.

.... stock is beautiful.

Lifer
07-20-12, 04:36 PM
Earl Scheib $49.95, no ups, no extras. Includes $10.00 free body work. They paint the whole car with one quart of paint.

Any car, any color, $29.95.

Lets see, $10. in free metal work. He will put a balled-up chewing gum wrapper in the hole for that. HooHaa.

A buddy had the Earl paint his '55 Chevy that he was so proud of. I noticed a small raised spot under the tail light near the bumper. Paint run? No! I pushed on it and good dusty dry Ohio dirt came out. Earl don't wash 'em. He just paints 'em. HAHAHAHAHA.

EChas3
07-20-12, 08:59 PM
Discount paint jobs make sense for some cars. With appropriate prep work by the owner, they don't have to look like the crap they often do.

rnkath08
07-23-12, 11:48 AM
actually picking up my car today, repainted it black (it was black from the factory) with some pearl accent to the hood ridge. Resale value matters if you want to eventually resell your car...each to his own...I have an 06, v8, AWD...I put it away each winter and it has just over 40k miles on it now. I bought it as a lease turn in with about 12k miles on it, let someone else eat the instant depreciation; but whoever had it before must've scuffed against their garage sides and had it repaired...the work was awful, especially on black that shows everything--though at a quick glance "normal" folks didn't notice, so I knew I'd be fixing that eventually to my liking...then I started playing....new hood, pads, rotors, tails, tint, grille, exhaust, air intake....she's mine and I have no intention of ever selling her. So, while to a stranger, it may seem like changing things affecting resale is an issue, for folks who buy what they like and intend to drive it into the ground, it's fine to make it your own. I've been offered higher than book on it twice already from doctors who know me and know I'm a freak about taking care of her, so I guess if I ever really had to sell her I'd be okay if I found someone as in love with her as I am...but I doubt I'd ever want to. Not every car buyer wants new every two...some of us appreciate what we worked so hard to have and like keeping things. Heck, I have a 7 year old flip cell phone too...I guess I'm just not hard to please and like to keep my things in great condition. Each to his --- OR HER----own. : )
besides, with all the cash I've saved on keeping my car I was able to take my two daughters skydiving this weekend! Nearly as fun as opening my car up on a track!!

EChas3
07-23-12, 10:42 PM
A quality paint job in the original color can enhance the value of a car, but the OEM paint is very good. Expect five large or more.

rnkath08
07-28-12, 06:39 PM
got her back today!!!!! In love...the detail on the hood is super subtle..in the shade it disappears and the hood is black, in the sun it shimmers and shines! Now have to figure out how to load a pic, it currently is telling me it's too big....I am not great with the computer so will try to figure this out.....I'll post in the show us section!

figured it out! pics in the show us section

02603sec
07-29-12, 02:58 AM
Good luck with the black pearl. I've had the raven black which is probably the thinnest factory paint on any my vehicles. Road rash was horrible even at low mileage. My high mileage ford truck has no road rash. Imho you have to get the pearl paint on a caddy for high quality and resale. I had the nose redone on the vette with high quality materials. The materials alone were over 500. Using dupont.. anything not original on a caddy just doesnt look right.

eatyoursandwich
07-29-12, 11:39 AM
Good luck with the black pearl. I've had the raven black which is probably the thinnest factory paint on any my vehicles. Road rash was horrible even at low mileage. My high mileage ford truck has no road rash. Imho you have to get the pearl paint on a caddy for high quality and resale. I had the nose redone on the vette with high quality materials. The materials alone were over 500. Using dupont.. anything not original on a caddy just doesnt look right.

I have noticed this as well. The raven black is killing me -- seems the slightest scratch and I'm looking at primer.

I'm probably going to respray with the original color code, just more coats and a good amount of clear, but I've never had a car or truck chip and rash like this.