: Nearly bought a cts-v at a dealer, BUT

Scott2012
07-14-12, 08:33 PM
I found the car and ready to buy... 2005 CTS-V black-black, 45k miles, in excellent condition. Only thing aftermarket was a k&n intake. I looked hard for the things people here posted, and was ready to make an offer.
Doing some research, I found the car, in Excellent condition, trades in at 19k, and retails at the high end of 23,125.
This dealership has it priced at 24,995. I offered 23k, and the lowest they went would go is 23,995.
The sales manager comes over and says... they know they have a rare car, he told me he could care less what the car lists for and that I was lucky they moved to 23,9. To be honest, I was ready to pay the 900 difference we were at, but this guy acted so rude, it was really easy to get up and walk.
This was a dealership in Faribault, MN.

Is 23,995 in the range these go for at the dealership? (I know I can save going private party). Has anyone had experience buying out of state? Michigan and Chicago seem to have options.

Just when I thought I found the perfect ride, it seems I'm back to the search!

rand49er
07-14-12, 09:21 PM
Give the guy your tel no. and tell him to call if they have a change of heart and to hurry because you're looking at other Vs, too.

You can do better than $23k with a private party just keep your eyes open.

pato
07-14-12, 09:23 PM
When I was looking last year I found 4 local V's that I was interested in.
First was a private party 2005 black/black very good condition, chrome rims, borla exhaust, 77k miles selling for 18.5k.
Second was at a used car parking lot 2005 blue/grayish(not sure name of color) good condition, 56k miles selling for 21k.
Third was at another used car parking lot 2004 black/black ok condition, 59k miles selling for 20k.
Fourth is the one I bought, at a used car parking lot 2005 black/light gray interior, good condition, chrome rims, 95k miles for 12.9k.

I was set on buying the first but the seller had to go out of town the weekend I was going to go and see the car, which is when I found the one I bought. Have not regretted my choice one bit.

I suggest you keep looking, the mileage is good but the price is on the high side.
Don't be afraid to buy from a private party, there's a lot of V's out there in good condition and you could save a ton of money.

Scott2012
07-14-12, 10:02 PM
Give the guy your tel no. and tell him to call if they have a change of heart and to hurry because you're looking at other Vs, too.

You can do better than $23k with a private party just keep your eyes open.

Thanks much. Yes, I know I could beat my offer of 23k, but figure buying from a dealer would be the safest bet. Then again, there's still no warranty option, so not sure where my head is at there.
They do have my info, and they have had the car there over a month. Maybe a change of heart later in the week.

Scott2012
07-14-12, 10:05 PM
When I was looking last year I found 4 local V's that I was interested in.
First was a private party 2005 black/black very good condition, chrome rims, borla exhaust, 77k miles selling for 18.5k.
Second was at a used car parking lot 2005 blue/grayish(not sure name of color) good condition, 56k miles selling for 21k.
Third was at another used car parking lot 2004 black/black ok condition, 59k miles selling for 20k.
Fourth is the one I bought, at a used car parking lot 2005 black/light gray interior, good condition, chrome rims, 95k miles for 12.9k.

I was set on buying the first but the seller had to go out of town the weekend I was going to go and see the car, which is when I found the one I bought. Have not regretted my choice one bit.

I suggest you keep looking, the mileage is good but the price is on the high side.
Don't be afraid to buy from a private party, there's a lot of V's out there in good condition and you could save a ton of money.

That may be the way to go. Especially if there are some basic mods. I know I'd want an intake, headers, exhaust and tune over time. I've been waiting since 2004 for my first V. It's tough now to be patient considering I'm ready to pull the trigger- LOL! But, yeah, I will be.

Isaacs
07-14-12, 10:07 PM
Dealers are hard to judge, but you can definitely get a better deal buying private party. I paid $23k for a '06 w/ 55k. I needed a dealer so I could trade my truck, but otherwise I could have found the same thing closer to $20k PP.

Scott2012
07-14-12, 10:31 PM
Dealers are hard to judge, but you can definitely get a better deal buying private party. I paid $23k for a '06 w/ 55k. I needed a dealer so I could trade my truck, but otherwise I could have found the same thing closer to $20k PP.

Yeah, I understand... But that's what gets me. Wondering why this dealer wouldn't take 23k for an 05. That's still at dealer retail. They must really think they'll get 25k considering the Vs are kinda scarce in Minnesota. Still, the sales mgr was a prick... If not for that, I would've eaten the $900 bucks. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

HAMSTAR
07-14-12, 10:45 PM
If they're the kind of dealership that does TV ads and has lots of balloons and gimmicks and shit, then their business is selling to morons who only look at the monthly payment and don't understand interest rates, etc. The moment they get a smart guy in there, the manager comes out and takes a tough line, basically because they think they're talking to one of their own, another smart guy on the take. This is my perception. This has happened to me on numerous occasions-- sales manager comes out, drops the bullshit and just tells me they're not going to negotiate. Why sell to someone who's going to read the fine print and insist on a fair price when there's a sea of muppets behind him willing to pay asking price for a high-APR loan as long as it will keep payments below 400/month?

So yeah, it depends on the dealership. But all in all, really, try to buy private party. Search around on this board and the other one-- there are lots of threads with people giving advice on what to look for. Another piece of advice-- check the air filter to see if it's been changed lately (or if oil-based fileter, if it's been cleaned/recharged) and check to see if they have a high-quality oil filter on there. If they've got an orange FRAM filter, run, because it means they use the cheapest shit around and probably skimped on the maintenance.

Scott2012
07-14-12, 11:34 PM
If they're the kind of dealership that does TV ads and has lots of balloons and gimmicks and shit, then their business is selling to morons who only look at the monthly payment and don't understand interest rates, etc. The moment they get a smart guy in there, the manager comes out and takes a tough line, basically because they think they're talking to one of their own, another smart guy on the take. This is my perception. This has happened to me on numerous occasions-- sales manager comes out, drops the bullshit and just tells me they're not going to negotiate. Why sell to someone who's going to read the fine print and insist on a fair price when there's a sea of muppets behind him willing to pay asking price for a high-APR loan as long as it will keep payments below 400/month?

So yeah, it depends on the dealership. But all in all, really, try to buy private party. Search around on this board and the other one-- there are lots of threads with people giving advice on what to look for. Another piece of advice-- check the air filter to see if it's been changed lately (or if oil-based fileter, if it's been cleaned/recharged) and check to see if they have a high-quality oil filter on there. If they've got an orange FRAM filter, run, because it means they use the cheapest shit around and probably skimped on the maintenance.
Right on, thanks for the extra tips also, I sure will check for that also.

sgtdestruction
07-15-12, 01:15 AM
Not sure if you are against Carmax, as I purchased mine from them. But here is a Silver 2006 with 85k miles for $20k.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=4&id=8449094&D=90&ASTc=cts%20v&zip=37167&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=search:results:results%20page&Rp=R&PP=50&sV=List&CD=190+9&Q=49528f33-5417-4ce6-9cea-819960e3cef4

mstrjon32
07-15-12, 06:40 AM
I bought my V from Carmax almost 2 years ago now. I would say the deal was decent: '06 with 31K miles for $25K even. I was willing to buy it from them because at the time they were the only ones that had the colors I wanted (Platinum/Ebony) and the car already had accessory wheels on it.

But, they insisted on removing the tint for the Maryland state safety inspection, and scratched up the rear windows in the process. They sold me the car with parts of the rear suspension not fully bolted in, but I guess that isn't as critical as removing the tint... Also, they had replaced the tires with new tires, but they were H rated and not V rated. I got the manager to agree to replace them with V rated tires, but in the process of replacing the tires, they installed non-run flat tires and damaged the finish on all 4 of the accessory wheels. They gave me a full size spare to compensate for having non run-flat's, and then agreed to get the wheels fixed. They sent them off to some moron who completely ruined them by sanding the finish down and painting them silver. I went back twice to ream them out and demand they install new wheels, but in the process of fighting them some other 'hole stole the damaged wheels off my car when it was in a locked garage and I ended up getting a new set out of it anyway.

All in all, I'd say Carmax is run by morons and I'd avoid them if at all possible.

rand49er
07-15-12, 07:23 AM
...But, they insisted on removing the tint for the Maryland state safety inspection, and scratched up the rear windows in the process. They sold me the car with parts of the rear suspension not fully bolted in, but I guess that isn't as critical as removing the tint... Also, they had replaced the tires with new tires, but they were H rated and not V rated. I got the manager to agree to replace them with V rated tires, but in the process of replacing the tires, they installed non-run flat tires and damaged the finish on all 4 of the accessory wheels. They gave me a full size spare to compensate for having non run-flat's, and then agreed to get the wheels fixed. They sent them off to some moron who completely ruined them by sanding the finish down and painting them silver. I went back twice to ream them out and demand they install new wheels, but in the process of fighting them some other 'hole stole the damaged wheels off my car when it was in a locked garage and I ended up getting a new set out of it anyway. ....:helpless: What a hassle.

Do your homework and going private party is almost always the way to go. Mind you, I've never financed one that way, though. Cash talks.

2007ThunderV
07-15-12, 08:53 AM
I bought my V from Carmax almost 2 years ago now. I would say the deal was decent: '06 with 31K miles for $25K even. I was willing to buy it from them because at the time they were the only ones that had the colors I wanted (Platinum/Ebony) and the car already had accessory wheels on it.

But, they insisted on removing the tint for the Maryland state safety inspection, and scratched up the rear windows in the process. They sold me the car with parts of the rear suspension not fully bolted in, but I guess that isn't as critical as removing the tint... Also, they had replaced the tires with new tires, but they were H rated and not V rated. I got the manager to agree to replace them with V rated tires, but in the process of replacing the tires, they installed non-run flat tires and damaged the finish on all 4 of the accessory wheels. They gave me a full size spare to compensate for having non run-flat's, and then agreed to get the wheels fixed. They sent them off to some moron who completely ruined them by sanding the finish down and painting them silver. I went back twice to ream them out and demand they install new wheels, but in the process of fighting them some other 'hole stole the damaged wheels off my car when it was in a locked garage and I ended up getting a new set out of it anyway.

All in all, I'd say Carmax is run by morons and I'd avoid them if at all possible.
wow, i give yea credit for not burning that dealer down.
seems most dealers always try to take the cheapest fixes possible.

JDB
07-15-12, 11:09 AM
Never buy from Carmax, it's where people dump cars they cant sell or know they cant sell because it needs work or wrecked with poor body work...red light specials from auctions... unless you're getting an amazing deal and have the room in the price to take care of things ...run.

PP is typically the best way to buy a non-appliance car, especially from an enthusiast who knows the common issues and took care of them. Without a history of maintenance and repairs, skip.

Scott2012
07-15-12, 12:16 PM
Seems to be some strong opinions of carmax. I think carmax would hold a similiar risk to buying private party. But, for the right car I'd buy from anyone :).

Crash-Override
07-16-12, 09:09 AM
I had to go to Michigan to get mine a little over a year ago. Mine had 58k on it, bone stock, 1 owner, and was listed at 23k. I got them to throw in a 2/24k GMPP at that price so i jumped on it.... Had it not been for the GMPP I wouldnt have driven 600+ miles each way, even though it took me about 6 months to find this one (Stealth on black and various other things).

Side note, I have bought 3 vehicles from Carmax over the years and had nothing but awesome experiences (even with the service dept). I would recommed still doing your do-diligence with any dealer, however don't let a few bad Carmaxs throw you off completely.

Scott2012
07-16-12, 09:59 AM
It seems, tx, ca, mi, and fl have the most availability.
There are a few listings in Chicago which might be close. Looks like I'll be road trip'in it!

yooper
07-16-12, 10:32 AM
That may be the way to go. Especially if there are some basic mods. I know I'd want an intake, headers, exhaust and tune over time. I've been waiting since 2004 for my first V. It's tough now to be patient considering I'm ready to pull the trigger- LOL! But, yeah, I will be.

Scott, I will be selling my 04V. Silver with Black interior, 65000 mile, K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back, Lingenfelter tune, Katech shifter, Creative Steel motor mounts, and more. Recently installed rebuilt RPM Transmission and New LS7 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave.

The LS6 is original, runs strong, and is in excellent condition. Other than the tune and trans rebuild, I have done all repairs, upgrades, and maintenance myself.

I need $20,000 for the car. I do have additional parts that we could discuss if you are interested.

You can research my car right here on this forum and I can provide references. Specter Werkes rear spoiler comes with the car, however the Specter Werkes hood has beeen sold and the original OEM hood is on the car. If interested, I can email additional pictures.

Thanks, my cell is 906 two five zero 8665
Bill

Sale also includes indoor V car cover.

Scott2012
07-17-12, 12:01 PM
Scott, I will be selling my 04V. Silver with Black interior, 65000 mile, K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back, Lingenfelter tune, Katech shifter, Creative Steel motor mounts, and more. Recently installed rebuilt RPM Transmission and New LS7 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave.

The LS6 is original, runs strong, and is in excellent condition. Other than the tune and trans rebuild, I have done all repairs, upgrades, and maintenance myself.

I need $20,000 for the car. I do have additional parts that we could discuss if you are interested.

You can research my car right here on this forum and I can provide references. Specter Werkes rear spoiler comes with the car, however the Specter Werkes hood has beeen sold and the original OEM hood is on the car. If interested, I can email additional pictures.

Bill

Wow, your car is awesome! I would absolutely be interested. However, for the next 2-3 weeks, I have to look locally due to my work schedule. If your car is still for sale, it's def one I'd consider, assuming I don't find a great deal here at home. :) thanks for posting!

Scott2012
07-17-12, 12:02 PM

Bill

Wow, your car is awesome! I would absolutely be interested. However, for the next 2-3 weeks, I have to look locally due to my work schedule. If your car is still for sale, it's def one I'd consider, assuming I don't find a great deal here at home. :) thanks for posting!

Scott2012
07-17-12, 12:12 PM
Update.... As predicted, the dealership emailed me back. I was going to buy a 2005 black/black 45k miles V. They have it listed for 25k. I offered them, what I thought a fair price of 23,000. 23,000 is blue book full dealer price. And I offered that because I do know I'd generally pay more at he dealership.

Long story short, they are now down to 23,500. It's not that the 500 is going to kill me, it's the fact that the car just isn't worth even he 23k I offered. I am feeling a bit anxious because I feel like I shouldn't bail over 500... Hmmm

rand49er
07-17-12, 01:39 PM
Hold tight, and hold onto your five hundred bucks, too.

Sooner-V
07-17-12, 10:29 PM
Definitely wait them out. I bought my '05 in Texas with 28k miles for $22k. Overpaying leads to buyer's remorse and this should be a positive experience not one you look back on with regret. Be realistic about your timeline. You will be much happier if you wait for the right car for the right price. I know I am.

mstrjon32
07-18-12, 01:46 AM
I was thinking about selling my V next year...with the way prices are going down maybe I need to get started on that sooner rather than later...

yooper
07-18-12, 08:15 AM

Thanks, I have invested a lot of time and way more money than I care to admit in this car. I live due east of Duluth, about 355 miles from you. 49855
Shoot me an email billkimmes at chartermi dot net
Thanks
Bill

RBefort
07-18-12, 06:28 PM
LOL I would almost sell my 07 w/ 51.5k on it for 24k....and I've put 16k miles on it since last year because of the freeway. Pick me! :)

NCOGNITO
07-18-12, 07:46 PM
Double post ...

NCOGNITO
07-18-12, 07:48 PM
LOL I would almost sell my 07 w/ 51.5k on it for 24k....and I've put 16k miles on it since last year because of the freeway. Pick me! :)

Color and location :-D? I'm in the market for a Light Platinum one and am in the Raleigh area, but willing to travel as needed ... I can't PM as a newbie, but you probably can message me.

Scott2012
07-18-12, 07:50 PM
I'm happy to say I stumbled on an 05 at a local dealership. Great price, service and super exited to pick up at the end of the week. Very happy I listened to everyone's advice here and waited for the right deal. :)

NCOGNITO
07-18-12, 09:22 PM
Color/mileage/price? Excited for you, I know how exciting the "hunt" can be but I bet the satisfaction of finding "the one" is even more rewarding. Pics or it didn't happen, LOL.

Scott2012
07-18-12, 09:30 PM
Color/mileage/price? Excited for you, I know how exciting the "hunt" can be but I bet the satisfaction of finding "the one" is even more rewarding. Pics or it didn't happen, LOL.

I started a new thread. I'll post pics when I pick up at he end of he week. Red/70k/19k + dealership extras :)

kciaccio
07-27-12, 11:17 PM
Never buy from Carmax, it's where people dump cars they cant sell or know they cant sell because it needs work or wrecked with poor body work...red light specials from auctions... unless you're getting an amazing deal and have the room in the price to take care of things ...run.

PP is typically the best way to buy a non-appliance car, especially from an enthusiast who knows the common issues and took care of them. Without a history of maintenance and repairs, skip.

You are so wrong about this....This just makes you look ignorant.

mstrjon32
07-27-12, 11:47 PM

I think he looks brilliant. CarMax runs a shady operation with a big inventory and moderately nice dealership that makes you feel like you aren't getting ripped off, but in reality, you're usually getting it pretty hard.

kciaccio
07-28-12, 05:31 PM
I worked there as a buyer for three years, I think I know how they operate more than you. I didn't say their prices were not high but they kick cars to their wholesale auction on the drop of a dime. They were actually picky to a fault. They will not sell rehung quarter cars, re-welded front core supports, dents in frame rails, tears in frame rails from transport damage ect ect. Higher standards than CPO cars from Lexus,Honda ect. They have relaxed on the paint standards. We used to kick cars if it had a certain amount of panels painted including blended panels. I think that has changed now.

mstrjon32
07-28-12, 05:48 PM
I bought my car from CarMax and they did a crap job of repainting the front bumper that was good for about 6 months. They ruined a set of accessory wheels by having some moron tech change the tires, and then "fixed" them by repainting them. They scratched up the windows removing the tint. They sold me the car with loose rear suspension components. And, they were hostile towards me as a customer both during and after the purchase. Also, my car was involved in an accident that they did not know about, did not disclose, and clearly weren't interested in discussing. I discovered it myself by looking up the VIN and contacting the original dealership that sold the car (and did the repair work). The only reason I even dealt with them was because they were they only ones who had the car I wanted at the time.

So I don't know where you worked, but as far as I'm concerned, CarMax is run by one of the biggest groups of morons under the sun. The only solace I got out of dealing with them is that while they had my car for 7 days so they could ruin the wheels, I got to beat the absolute ever loving crap out of the crappy Toyota they gave me as a rental.

kciaccio
07-28-12, 06:20 PM
Ya, I heard your story earlier somewhere here. Sounds like you had a bad experience. They operate 100 stores, there are bound to be some issues. Just because a car has an accident reported does not mean it was structurally damaged by the way. Just remember you are buying a USED car and the older the harder it is to find them in near new condition. At the store I worked at we had bad paintwork for a few months because we were building new paint booths but all stores have their issues.

trhs75
07-28-12, 06:24 PM
That's kind of high, I think. In 2009, I paid 25K for a certified 05 with 23K miles at my local dealer, and they're always on the high side!

JDB
07-28-12, 09:25 PM

Inlaws in the business... I wouldnt even use the bathroom at Carmax.