: cable or satellite? directv or dish?

josney
07-14-12, 12:21 AM
just like the title says. curious to know if you guys are on cable or satellite? Directv or Dish? cable is KILLING me in my area and thinking changing back to satellite. good experiences? bad experiences? just looking for your opinions. thanks

Kev
07-14-12, 12:37 AM
None of the above. We subscribe to Netflix only. We receive local broadcasting via antenna.

MrHolland
07-14-12, 01:02 AM
Cable for me. My wife needs cable internet for work so we might as well get our tv from there too, although I do not like it due to the high cost.

talismandave
07-14-12, 01:31 AM
Uverse for me. Very happy compared to Charter. Internet TV and landline.

CadillacLuke24
07-14-12, 02:25 AM
Cable is decent, the internet is good, and the tv service is reasonable, but the little recorder box thingy is junk. If you can upgrade that, I'd go with cable.

brandondeleo
07-14-12, 04:18 AM
DirecTV is where it's at. I've had multiple different cable companies, Dish, and DirecTV, and DirecTV has been the best. The one thing I did really like about cable was the on-demand stuff, though. I also have Netflix. Netflix is awesome, but I need my TV. :lol:

Aron9000
07-14-12, 05:02 AM
I had comcast cable and internet for the longest time. Their TV service I must say was always TOP NOTCH. It was never out, lots of high def programming, the DVR recorder and their menu system was just plain slick, never lagged, and is super easy to use. Plus the free on demand stuff was really cool, I swear in their free movies section there was about 98 or 99 corny movies, but always one or 2 that were straight up classics that I had never seen before.

Their internet service, well it depends on where you live IMO as to it being worth a crap. My first two apartments it was great, fast, reliable. When I moved into a house in an older neighborhood, well it was great when it worked. I lived in that crap house for only a year, I had the comcast people out there twice to diagnose my internet problem, was on the phone with tech support 5 or 6 times for outage issues. They finally ended up completely rewiring the entire house with all new cable, splitters, etc from the pole to the outlets in the walls in the two bedrooms, kitchen and living room. I moved out about a month after that, but I think it fixed all my problems, something about non-compliant splitters making the internet drop out.

Once your promotional 1st year "great rate" goes away, your bill will basically double. I think I was paying almost $130 a month for high def, dvr box, a good channel package without HBO, and about their 2nd or 3rd fastest internet speed.

For the past two years I've had DISH. They were 1/3rd to 1/2 less than what Comcast, AT&T U-Verse, or Direct-TV were quoting me. Granted the thing does act up time to time, but I can always fix it by unplugging the box. The menus and DVR box aren't nearly as user friendly or glitch free as Comcast, but it still has all the high def channels and picture quality is just the same as Comcast. Really for what I am paying($60 a month with taxes and everything), its just a fantastic value. As for internet, I've been using my dumb tech illiterate neighbor's wi-fi for the past two years. Its a stupid fast and super reliable connection and he's too dumb to lock it down with a password.

Playdrv4me
07-14-12, 08:41 AM
I briefly worked at the local cable company here in Wichita and it never ceased to amaze me to see people paying 140, 160 and 200.00 a month for CABLE services. Worse yet, I doubted highly a lot of them even had regular jobs.

*Cliffs: If cost matters but you're not quite ready to cut the cord yet, go for Expanded Basic cable service and your internet speed of choice from your cable provider. If cost is no object and you live on the east coast: Go for Verizon FiOS... Bar none the fastest, highest quality signal you can get in the U.S. right now.

Here's how it breaks down for me. DESPITE the fact that I am a technology enthusiast and the fact that I do love MANY cable reality shows and news channels, I LIMIT myself to the cable signal that comes out of the wall ONLY, and whatever the expanded basic service is. Roughly 60 channels or so (NOT basic which is only 22 channels or so made up of mostly local stuff). I will NOT pay for digital services, boxes, DVRs, or any of that other profit generating crap for the cable company. If I weren't into so much programming that is of such immediate nature (Pawn Stars, American Pickers type crap that the torrents don't really keep up with, and my cable news networks), I wouldn't have cable at all BUT if you live in an area served by a cable company, it is my service of choice because it's so backwards compatible with every TV, and all you have to do in most markets is plug into the wall without any need for fancy digital boxes or anything else. Every other type of transmission medium (satellite, fiber, telephone) requires that you buy ANOTHER monthly box for every single room you want to put a TV in. Worse yet, you usually have to wait for that box to be delivered via mail or a tech to come put it in. With most cable providers the basic level of service I mentioned is about 60 bucks a month. If you must have a DVR, spend 2 bucks a month for a Cablecard and get a TV Tuner for your PC to record programs there. At the company I worked at, the "Whole Home" DVR product they had us push like crack, was around 25 or 30 bucks a month by the time you got done with all the charges associated with it and one or two extra receivers.

As for internet service, pick your poison. Again, Cable is the dominant force here as DSL often requires contracts and is usually more expensive for the given rate of speed. It just depends on how fast you want/need it. Most cable providers won't offer bundles of just these two basic services, but the truth is they'll normally bundle you into a rate that SEEMS like it's about the same as just these basic services for a few months or a year, but then it will nearly double later on. If you like consistent billing and don't want to get roped into any of that nonsense, just keep those two services and leave it at that. If you *still* want to feel like you're getting a deal (and why not), set your basic services up, then within a few weeks call and threaten to cancel all of it or to speak to the retention department. Every media provider has one, and they will usually bend over backwards to keep you offering you a way to keep your existing services at a temporarily or long term reduced cost.

Keep in mind that you will get SOME HD channels even with basic cable, as the cable company passes the HD signals from your LOCAL TV networks *regardless* of your subscription level. They often won't advertise this, and won't even confirm it in most cases because the reps aren't taught that it works that way.

Your other option is to merely cut the cord altogether and go for Netflix, Hulu or any of the other internet video services. The programming I watch just isn't easily accessible via those avenues or torrents. One sidebar to what I said above *might* be HBO. Yes, it's 14.00 a month or thereabouts depending on your provider, but I know A LOT of people are increasingly drawn to shows, movies and sporting events on HBO and they've actually increased the value of their service TREMENDOUSLY recently with HBO GO for just about every digital device you can imagine. If HBO had its way, it would probably offer the GO product all by itself, but the media providers would crucify them for it so they can't do that quite yet. Still, it could very well be worth it if you are an HBO lover.

drewsdeville
07-14-12, 10:55 AM
:thumbsup: for the PC as a DVR. I've been using mine for years.

I built my box just for this task. It's moderately powerful, but very efficient as it's left on 24/7/365. The tuner card watches and records. 5.1 audio with more options and effects than you'd ever need, without a huge, expensive reciever box (it's all solid-state anyway). Hard drives keep all of my recorded TV, music, pictures ready to go. Netflix integrates into Windows Media Center perfectly.

All of it is controlled with a wireless media center remote control.

What I really like about it is the fact that one box does it all. I'm not a fan of entertainment centers with half a dozen or more boxes stacked up to do the simplest tasks. It's also quite convenient at times to have a computer available. Sometimes a friend wants to show you that website they like, or the auction about to end, or the streaming episode that they like. Everything is there.

neuronbob
07-14-12, 11:50 AM
DirecTV. In my area, it's cheaper than cable. Dish is cheaper at first....but you get what you pay for, too in the form of less selection.

I DO have cable internet because DSL is unavailable at my location, and AT&T's U-verse will never get to my house even though I live in a major suburb of a major city. Long story....

josney
07-14-12, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. In my area, there is only 1 cable company. time warner is just across the border in NC, but our area is the 1 and only. it doesnt have on-demand, only a few Pay-Per-view movies a month. they are the ONLY internet provider in our area, no satellite for my town. they have us by the "sack".

Submariner409
07-14-12, 03:54 PM
You're not alone - here in the woods a satellite dish won't work because of the heavy foliage, cable companies won't run the 0.7 mile of feed for the 4 families in here, and DSL is it for internet. (It works just fine). Even a cell phone signal is weak. We use a BIG Channel Master antenna/rotor on the roof for TV, but it doesn't really matter as we very seldom watch ANY TV, and that's usually either NFL or PGA. My stereo setup uses a dedicated FM directional and rotor.

Playdrv4me
07-14-12, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys. In my area, there is only 1 cable company. time warner is just across the border in NC, but our area is the 1 and only. it doesnt have on-demand, only a few Pay-Per-view movies a month. they are the ONLY internet provider in our area, no satellite for my town. they have us by the "sack".

It is not unusual to have only 1 cable provider in a geographic region. It is a myth that cable companies compete against each other. They all work together to form policies, share products (i.e. RoadRunner back in the day, "Powerboost" today etc. etc.) and development. The common enemies are AT&T and dishes.

Keep in mind there's nothing wrong with mixing and matching services either, just like mixing and matching airlines on a flight search. In fact, it's nice when one service goes down that the other one doesn't and vice versa.

Johnxlrv
07-14-12, 06:21 PM
I had comcast cable and internet for the longest time. Their TV service I must say was always TOP NOTCH. It was never out, lots of high def programming, the DVR recorder and their menu system was just plain slick, never lagged, and is super easy to use. Plus the free on demand stuff was really cool, I swear in their free movies section there was about 98 or 99 corny movies, but always one or 2 that were straight up classics that I had never seen before.

Their internet service, well it depends on where you live IMO as to it being worth a crap. My first two apartments it was great, fast, reliable. When I moved into a house in an older neighborhood, well it was great when it worked. I lived in that crap house for only a year, I had the comcast people out there twice to diagnose my internet problem, was on the phone with tech support 5 or 6 times for outage issues. They finally ended up completely rewiring the entire house with all new cable, splitters, etc from the pole to the outlets in the walls in the two bedrooms, kitchen and living room. I moved out about a month after that, but I think it fixed all my problems, something about non-compliant splitters making the internet drop out.

Once your promotional 1st year "great rate" goes away, your bill will basically double. I think I was paying almost $130 a month for high def, dvr box, a good channel package without HBO, and about their 2nd or 3rd fastest internet speed.

For the past two years I've had DISH. They were 1/3rd to 1/2 less than what Comcast, AT&T U-Verse, or Direct-TV were quoting me. Granted the thing does act up time to time, but I can always fix it by unplugging the box. The menus and DVR box aren't nearly as user friendly or glitch free as Comcast, but it still has all the high def channels and picture quality is just the same as Comcast. Really for what I am paying($60 a month with taxes and everything), its just a fantastic value. As for internet, I've been using my dumb tech illiterate neighbor's wi-fi for the past two years. Its a stupid fast and super reliable connection and he's too dumb to lock it down with a password.

Agreed...Comcast is out...their DVD players were not so hot IMHO, in that they did not have the storage space. I am keeping Comcast Internet, but the speeds are way less than advertised...brought the level to the basic...and I still get 3mb/s download speed with minimal latency.

Dish is actually growing on me for the low cost as mentioned.

Netflix Internet streaming only is also hot. Great way to catch up on past series, with zero commercials

77CDV
07-14-12, 06:37 PM
I west satellite (dish) about a year and a half ago because Time Warner (the only game in town as far as cable) was charging over $100/month for basic cable and the service was lousy. I ended up going with Dish mainly on price. The service is generally good and I'm paying $60 less per month for basically the same stuff I had with cable. That being said, I don't watch much TV in the first place. Bruce had it right 20 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

EcSTSatic
07-16-12, 09:30 AM
None of the above. We subscribe to Netflix only. We receive local broadcasting via antenna.

Ditto. It's amazing how much more time you have for better things when you aren't stuck in front of a TV. Not judging, just thankful I discovered this.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-16-12, 05:05 PM
No FIOS in your area?

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 02:40 AM
I bought DirecTV back in '95 because the Patriots started selling out their games and I couldn't catch my Fins games. Sunday Ticket was, to me, the most amazing thing I had ever beheld on television. I purchased my own dish and reciever, installation kit and installed it myself.

I have always had DirecTV since then. In nearly 17 years, I've lost my signal an average of once per year and only on the hardest of downpours. It's always been much, much cheaper than local cable. The menu systems are awesome, clear w/no lag. Since getting the HD service a few years ago, it's been just as awesome. I love the fact that if anything does happen, it's either the broadcast or a line from the dish to your box. Easy to diagnose, easy to repair.

Dish is pretty cheap, but if you compare all channels you get a better value from DirecTV.

hueterm
08-01-12, 01:14 AM
I may be switching back to cable, after years w/DSL/Dish Network. (Yes, Ian...)

I pay appx. $230/mo for my unlimited long distance landline, slowass DSL, and Dish Network w/4 receivers and w/o any premium channels.

Cable for me would be appx. the same price, but I would get blazing fast internet (with no monthly cap), plus basic cable hookups in my guest room and the secondary TV in my living room. It also wouldn't go out anytime there is the slightest amount of lightning...fail...

The interface is slower however, and I'd have 20 less hours on my DVR that gets HD...plus all the programming that is stored on my DVRs, I guess I would lose? Can you download them to a computer? I would also lose the XM feed that Dish provides. The cable music is teh sucke... I subscribe to XM separately, so I'm sure I could figure something out...

I'd also have to see what I had to do w/my security system...Brinks or whatever their name is now loves to violate you for any little change to your setup....

thebigjimsho
08-01-12, 11:40 AM
Even though I think you're a communist for going back to cable, a computer can be set up as a DVR. And any computer that can run Bluetooth can stream to modern TVs today. You can get XM to play online...

hueterm
08-01-12, 01:31 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet -- if the internet speed wasn't so vastly different, I probably wouldn't consider it. I'm at 5MB down/750K up -- cable is like 5 times that.

caymansbanker
08-05-12, 03:18 PM
I vote for Dish because it's cheaper. That said, DirecTV had a better user interface in my opinion.