: Can I replace my Bose stereo with the NAV unit?

Mrsanders3960
07-13-12, 05:15 PM
I have a 08 STS Platinum without NAV. I wonder if I could replace my basic stereo unit with the NAV version. If anyone has Ideas, tips or have done this please let me know.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-13-12, 05:20 PM
I might be wrong but I thought I've read on here before "it's not a platinum if it doesn't have nav"...

Ludacrisvp
07-13-12, 06:05 PM
I think I recalled reading that before too... if you have RPO W21 on the sticker in the trunk then you have a platinum model, if it doesnt have that you dont.

That aside I do believe that its possible to add NAV to the non NAV car. you will need the nav unit with a verifiable source that it isnt stolen so that a dealer will wipe the old VIN out of it so that your car will be able to use it. you will need to tap into the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wiring to give the unit a reading, you will need the GPS antenna that goes under the dashboard.
Those are just quick things off the top of my head that you will need. I am sure there is more to it than this.

Mrsanders3960
07-13-12, 07:27 PM
My Thoughts as well. Its a 1SB But I am not sure what models they put the platinum package on and also what the package consists of...

EChas3
07-14-12, 09:34 PM
There's an exhaustive thread on the topic. Use the forum search function or your favorite search engine.

Several features will be a challenge or unavailable:

1. Aux input jacks
2. VR - which is of minimal use anyway
3. Turn-by-turn Nav
4. Bluetooth may connect but audio won't integrate
5. 15.1 audio - you don't have all the speakers

Potential buyers are well advised to decide the features they want and keep shopping until THE CAR is available.

Mrsanders3960
07-16-12, 05:26 PM
There's an exhaustive thread on the topic. Use the forum search function or your favorite search engine.

Several features will be a challenge or unavailable:

1. Aux input jacks
2. VR - which is of minimal use anyway
3. Turn-by-turn Nav
4. Bluetooth may connect but audio won't integrate
5. 15.1 audio - you don't have all the speakers

Potential buyers are well advised to decide the features they want and keep shopping until THE CAR is available.

Thanks EChas3: I appreciate the response, can I have my head back now? I was "advised" as well as I could have been as before purchasing the car... I could not locate info because I did not know what the codes were (1SA..etc). I am completely new to AMERICAN cars and I am finding the features lists to be exhaustive. For the STS alone there is 1SA/1SB/1SC/1SD/1SF/1SG. I came from Honda where there was DX, LX, EX. Features were clearly listed. Additionally adding upgrades post purchase was not such a process. Do forgive my ignorance as I learn.

RippyPartsDept
07-16-12, 05:57 PM
these codes 1SA, 1SG etc are just marketing and packaging codes

they're a base starting package of options but they don't really mean anything since you can fully customize the vehicle by deleting or adding options from the 'stock package' if you want to call it that

for instance i saw an XM delete option once that really threw us for a loop ... why would anyone delete XM?

taking it a step further if you knew what options each package contained you could start with one package but then add and delete options one by one until you ended up with a different package yet the RPO sticker would have that other package RPO (along with a bunch of extra codes for adding and deleting options)

so to summarize, don't worry about the package... worry about the totality of the options

RippyPartsDept
07-16-12, 06:02 PM
to answer the question in the title of this thread, yes - but no\

it's possible but is technically and financially prohibitive

GM/Cadillac does not offer an upgrade route (and typically never has until GM trucks started having an accessory nav radio - but that's it)

there are a few threads on here where people have added the NAV radio at great mental and temporal expense as well as the financial expense

to put it bluntly - don't try, it's not worth it ... if you must have it then trade it in for one that does have it (and all the other options you are looking for)

and btw, any news on the deception/swindle that got you into this vehicle?
i'm very curious as to the outcome of that

Mrsanders3960
07-23-12, 03:51 PM

and btw, any news on the deception/swindle that got you into this vehicle?
i'm very curious as to the outcome of that

For the Swindle: They promoted it to me as a platinum edition and me being new to Caddy, I took it as that. In all of my paperwork as well as the advertising they did not list it as anything other than an STS. Even in the long form (pink slip) paperwork it simply says "STS". My attorney said at this point without them having in ink that they were selling me a Platinum edition I got taken for the additional money. In court it would be a very difficult case of he said she said, and I discovered that the salesman who sold it to me is no longer at the dealer. So I basically overpaid by $2500 for a 1SB with a platinum badge on the back. But I still love the car.

RippyPartsDept
07-23-12, 04:40 PM
thanks for the update ... yeah, not having it in 'ink' that they sold it as a platinum does kind of ruin your chances - it's even quite possible that the previous owner put the emblem on to try and get a higher trade-in value

lets just hope that your experience can act as a cautionary tale and keep others from overspending or being caught in a similar predicament