: Escalade Transmission jumped into gear after dealer service flush!

Mcfarljb2003
07-13-12, 12:32 AM
2 days ago I had my recommended 50000 service performed at the dealer on my 2007escalade esv. Had the trans fluid flushed and filled along with transfer case fluid replaced, front and rear differentials. Today as I am driving, I back out of my driveway and put it in drive and nothing happens. I then give it some gas and it eventually jumped into first gear. I proceed to drive it and it seems fine in all gears, after I got back home with the engine nice and hot I check the fluid and it was in the cold range, of the dipstick, even though the car was hot. Does anyone thing the dealer didnt put in enough fluid? Would low fluid cause the jump in first gear? I previously have never had any trans issues until this. Should I take it back to dealer?

Mcfarljb2003
07-13-12, 12:36 AM
Has any one else had this problem with low trans fluid? Also how low is the fluid if when the trans is hot, dipstick only measures up to cold line?

MrHolland
07-13-12, 01:21 AM
I would guess its probably around pint low. Thats not low enough to cause a problem when the trans should hold 10-12 quarts. I would simply top it off and see if the problem persist before returning to the dealer. 6L80E uses Dex VI full synthetic trans fluid. Please verify this though, I am human and have been known to make a mistake.

evois
07-13-12, 01:46 AM
Return it to have them add the fluid. Poor shifting is common with low fluid. Hot in the cold range dipstick means it is really low.

Mcfarljb2003
07-13-12, 01:58 AM
thanks guys, I want to know how the heck the dealer screws up the amount of fluid to put in one of their own vehicles?

hcvone
07-13-12, 07:58 AM
I would just about bet you are low on fluid, I see many shops put in the amount of fluids per their computer look up and NEVER check the level after filling, just lazy

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-13-12, 02:13 PM
We're glad you're headed back into your dealership, if we understood the flow of the thread correctly. Please let us know how everything goes and if you should need any assistance don't hesitate to get in touch via private message here on the forum.

Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Mcfarljb2003
07-13-12, 07:58 PM
Update-Transmission only jump into gear twice, could not get It to do it again. Still went back dealer and explained what was happening. Service guy said sometimes if there is an air pocket in the fluid, it will cause trans to jump into gear. They use BG equipment and he said sometimes, if the equiptment lines are not completely cleaned, they can cause air pockets to develop. Fluid was low, so they added correct amount of fluid and told me to come back if it continues to happen. He also checked to see if the trans had any stored codes, in which he said there was a code but he cleared it and it should be fine. I completely forgot to ask him what the code was, but would the trans jumping into gear cause a code? He did not seemed to concerned, whatever it was. I was a bit concerned when he admitted that the lines of the equipment they use, sometimes is not clean and functioning properly.

hcvone
07-14-12, 08:27 AM
You should be fine now, how much did that have to add?

Mcfarljb2003
07-14-12, 09:14 AM
Hcvone, it's funny I asked them that same question after they topped it off and he never gave me a straight answer, just said it needed some fluid and it's at the correct level now. I do know that checking while the engine was hot, the level on the dipstick never got out of the cold range.

hcvone
07-14-12, 11:00 AM
Hcvone, it's funny I asked them that same question after they topped it off and he never gave me a straight answer, just said it needed some fluid and it's at the correct level now. I do know that checking while the engine was hot, the level on the dipstick never got out of the cold range.

Usually with an answer like that is was TOO LOW :)

99ssconv
07-15-12, 05:41 PM
Update-Transmission only jump into gear twice, could not get It to do it again. Still went back dealer and explained what was happening. Service guy said sometimes if there is an air pocket in the fluid, it will cause trans to jump into gear. They use BG equipment and he said sometimes, if the equiptment lines are not completely cleaned, they can cause air pockets to develop. Fluid was low, so they added correct amount of fluid and told me to come back if it continues to happen. He also checked to see if the trans had any stored codes, in which he said there was a code but he cleared it and it should be fine. I completely forgot to ask him what the code was, but would the trans jumping into gear cause a code? He did not seemed to concerned, whatever it was. I was a bit concerned when he admitted that the lines of the equipment they use, sometimes is not clean and functioning properly.

Probably the code was for the internal mode switch. That other BS he told you was just that.

Mcfarljb2003
07-16-12, 11:40 PM
What causes that internal mode switch code?

Udallj
07-16-12, 11:58 PM
I had the transmission flushed as well and everything was fine but now it's running hotter than it was and leaks now. I've got an appointment this Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-12, 04:38 PM
Wishing you a successful appointment tomorrow, Udallj, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Kind regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Udallj
07-18-12, 08:42 PM
Well... To say the least I was taken back when the service r called me and said he has found my problem. He said that the transmission was overfilled-very overfilled. He said that my dipstick was too short. Yes... I said it. I was born that way-I mean that's the one it came with.

So now I must ask, how long is your dipstick?

Lol

MrHolland
07-18-12, 09:08 PM
Thats hilarious!!!! That really happened?? HAHAHAAAA

------Sounds like you got the short end of the stick!!!!

Udallj
07-18-12, 09:14 PM
Thats hilarious!!!! That really happened?? HAHAHAAAA

------Sounds like you got the short end of the stick!!!!

Yes. So I'm serious, how long is the oem dipstick?

MrHolland
07-18-12, 09:19 PM
I would gladly check but unfortunately Im not with my car right now. (I was careful in choosing my words)

Udallj
07-18-12, 09:30 PM
Oh that's great!

MrHolland
07-18-12, 09:34 PM
If no one answers, which would surprise me, you could ask Chris at Rippy Cadillac. I'm sure he could get you an answer.