: Cts v dual halo aftermarket headlights.

stepchild21
07-12-12, 10:04 PM
So I've seen all the threads and all the websites saying it isn't possible to use the aftermarket headlights on the V's. SO today I did my "eagle eyes dual halo ccfl" headlights and everything went pretty well. All I needed to do was modify the wirin a tiny bit and it works great !!!! And I also installe a 35w hid xenon kit. So just trying to put some of you at ease if you're thinking to do this install, it's actually quite easy and looks amazing. I'll try to post pics soon.

And since I'm new to posting here I have a 2004 Cts v
- ls6 red engine covers
-20" Trojan status rims
- steel motor and tranny mounts
- ls7 clutch kit (waiting to install)
- tranny rebuild kit (on the way)
- cags skip shift delete
- muffler delete
- clear fogs

But yeah I highly recommend the headlights. Yes you lose the headlight washer... But whose keeping their V's that dirty anyway !?!?!?

stepchild21
07-12-12, 10:12 PM
Headlight

stepchild21
07-12-12, 10:15 PM
Cts-v

Fiero
07-12-12, 10:37 PM

Fiero
07-12-12, 10:39 PM
Wow, looks good. NIce ride!
Can we see some pictures at night wiht the halos and with the headlights on?

P.S. Are the Halos on all the time, no matter if the headlights are on? ARe they like DRL? Just wondering - I think I might get a pair since they come in black :)

josney
07-12-12, 11:19 PM
yeah, i would like to see a pic at night. stepchild21, i see by your post count that you are new to the forums. welcome and i am not sure if you know, the V's have a section also. they have a ton of info over there also:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/

Kingoftypos
07-12-12, 11:49 PM
Wow, looks good. NIce ride!
Can we see some pictures at night wiht the halos and with the headlights on?

P.S. Are the Halos on all the time, no matter if the headlights are on? ARe they like DRL? Just wondering - I think I might get a pair since they come in black :)

By default they are probably on with the parking lights. But I'm sure with a little re-wiring, they could be made to be DRL.

KOT

san2cci
07-13-12, 12:55 AM
You have one of the nicest looking CTS I've seen on here, IMO...and I dont usually like light colored cars at all. :thumbsup:

Kingoftypos
07-13-12, 12:59 AM
You have one of the nicest looking CTS I've seen on here, IMO...and I dont usually like light colored cars at all. :thumbsup:

Probably because it's a CTS-V. :-)

KOT

stepchild21
07-13-12, 02:28 AM
Thanks guys, I love my car. I hardwired my lighting so that the halos are the same as my DRLs. I just took a couple pics of the car at night with them on.

Also if you're looking into lights make sure they are CCFL halos, otherwise they will not be very bright. These stand out quiet well even during the day

Kingoftypos
07-13-12, 02:37 AM
If you live in a state that has inspections, you may want to keep your factory headlights. One of our members just found out a few weeks ago and had to reinstall the factory headlights to pass.

KOT

stepchild21
07-13-12, 02:40 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but today I tackled installing the "eagle eyes dual halo CCFL" headlights on my car. Surprisingly a lot easier then what everyone is seeming to worry about and they look great and way cheaper then the oem replacement even after adding in the new zenon hid's.

stepchild21
07-13-12, 02:40 AM
2004 cts-v

QwkRhino
07-13-12, 03:22 AM
I like it very nice.

SHORTSTACK
07-13-12, 08:07 AM
Looks good, tastefully done...

josney
07-13-12, 08:14 AM
ouch....that would hurt!!

If you live in a state that has inspections, you may want to keep your factory headlights. One of our members just found out a few weeks ago and had to reinstall the factory headlights to pass.

KOT

SHORTSTACK
07-13-12, 08:23 AM
ouch....that would hurt!!
How in the hell would they know if they were after market unless the guy said.... bragged.... about them not being oem??? But yeah, that would be some serious bovine defecation.

A48WillyzGuy
07-13-12, 08:41 AM
How in the hell would they know if they were after market...
The OEM lights should have some sort of DOT markings on them somewhere. Aftermarket ones likely wouldn't have them. That's probably where the trouble comes in.

We don't have inspections of any flavor around here though :)

Halo's look good man! I've always liked the looks of halo's.

Fiero
07-13-12, 08:55 AM
Those look great stepchild!! I'm ordering a pair (and will try to figure out the installation later LOL!)
Thanks for the pictures!

SHORTSTACK
07-13-12, 09:09 AM
The OEM lights should have some sort of DOT markings on them somewhere. Aftermarket ones likely wouldn't have them. That's probably where the trouble comes in.

We don't have inspections of any flavor around here though :)

Halo's look good man! I've always liked the looks of halo's.

MMMM, you are right. We dont have inspections here either. Which im thankful for cause my truck and cars tint is not legal. But really, is the inspector that much of a cocksucker that he/ she is looking for dot markings?

Kingoftypos
07-13-12, 10:33 AM
MMMM, you are right. We dont have inspections here either. Which im thankful for cause my truck and cars tint is not legal. But really, is the inspector that much of a cocksucker that he/ she is looking for dot markings?

Yup, they are...

I finally got my car to the dealership to take care of the airbag light and get the yearly inspection.

Dealer fixed the passenger seat airbag sensor, no cost. :yay:

Dealer failed my car for inspection, and the list looked like this:

Painted taillights
Painted reverse lights
Painted front turn lights
Painted daytime running lights
Non-DOT approved headlight housings.
Non-DOT approved HIDs
Parking brake doesn't hold.

KOT

ktr-sb
07-13-12, 12:47 PM
Any chance you have pix of the installation or wiring?

Crash-Override
07-13-12, 01:06 PM
man, that is awesome! Any chance you could post/PM me the part numbers you used on the lights as well as the fogs/corners....basically i would like all my lights to look like yours.

stepchild21
07-13-12, 01:22 PM
Sorry I honestly didnt even think of taking pics while she was all apart. I was kinda head down ass up trying to get it done before the storm rolled up.

But I can say which wires I sodered together, because their is some slight wiring changes that need to be made.

Headlight PS. Car headlight PS
-blue(low beam) -tan (low beam)
-white(high beam). -green (high beam)
-tan (drl)(halos). -brown (drl halos)
-black (ground - black/ black (ground)

**** Cts v wiring harness has 2 ground wire for hids. So I this is why I sodered all my connections so that I could utilize both grounds. Most likey not necessary but I wanted to play it safe.

Headlight DS Car headlight DS
-blue (low beam). - yellow (low beam)
-white (high beam). - green (high beam)
-tan (drl/ halo) - purple (drl/halo)
- black (ground). - black/ black (grounds)

*** also plug off the washer hoses that were going to the stock headlights as the new ones will not have that option.***

Hope this helps

san2cci
07-13-12, 03:30 PM
Probably because it's a CTS-V. :-)

KOT

LOL I knew this, CTS-V still falls under the category of CTS though and this is def one of the nicest :rolleyes:

joartstewey
07-13-12, 05:30 PM
How is the fitment on the headlights?

stepchild21
07-13-12, 08:49 PM
They fit really nicely. A little more gap then before but barely any. Compared to most aftermarket headlights im very impressed by these.

etcts-v
07-13-12, 08:56 PM
Those look great! I'm about to order the same.

By the way if anybody is interested in buying a brand new set (never been out of the box) of the ones below then check out me classified on here, bought them and changed my mind.

odthetruth
07-14-12, 03:48 AM
Moved to V appearance.

thebigjimsho
07-14-12, 07:26 AM
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out those lights aren't stock...

nfl2008
07-17-12, 12:37 AM
what did you have to do with the wiring to get it to work correctly mine just came in putting them in tomorrow

stepchild21
07-17-12, 01:16 PM
Hey I posted this in a wrong thread by accident and it got moved here. But I also made a second thread with wiring directions just a little further down. Saying what each wire does. It may plug and play for you, but mine didn't so I soddered all of my connections. And the aftermarket lights use one ground wire where as the Cts-v oem headlights use two so I soldered the one ground into the 2. I went into more detail in the other thread if you wanna check that

alradco
07-17-12, 08:41 PM
Those look great. Nice job.

EdmundGTP
07-17-12, 10:54 PM
First pics of these I've seen actually installed on a car. Look better than I expected. May go this route when I get sick of the grey lining of the OEMs.

stepchild21
07-18-12, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm happy with how they look especially with how bad my oems were scratched up. Just wanna mention that these projectors also perform much better then my oem headlights. Massive difference for me.

EdmundGTP
07-18-12, 03:25 PM
And just for clarification, you ARE running those with HID bulbs?

stepchild21
07-18-12, 05:05 PM
Yes I'm running 35w 6000k xenon hids. Honestly couldn't have a car without hids.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-18-12, 10:50 PM
Did I miss it or do you have a picture with the headlights on?

odthetruth
07-19-12, 01:16 AM
Merged both threads together for the sake of keeping info all in 1 spot.

stepchild21
07-19-12, 02:08 AM
I don't have any pics with the low beams on but if youd like I'd be able to grab some I'm sure. Probably wait till tommorrow night though.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-19-12, 12:11 PM
That'd be cool if you could. Also, which seller did you get them from? Are there multiple? My headlights look like shit. I like the idea of these maybe with 55 watt HIDs...

stepchild21
07-19-12, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't recommend 55w hids. Have used them in other vehicles and they have burnt lenses before. Just my experience. And I'll look when I get home. I have the receipts and everything there.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-19-12, 11:06 PM
Hmm. Okay. I have 55 watts in the fogs on both my V and SRT8 Jeep in smaller housings with no issues (knock on wood). We'll see though.

Anyway, since you're going to take pics, can you get some against a wall to show the cutoff line? Thanks.

stepchild21
07-20-12, 12:44 AM
What's the advantage of the 55w ??? Just curious.

And I'll be going pretty soon to take the pics. Just waiting till its dark out

shadybx7
07-20-12, 12:51 AM
Hmm. Okay. I have 55 watts in the fogs on both my V and SRT8 Jeep in smaller housings with no issues (knock on wood). We'll see though.

Anyway, since you're going to take pics, can you get some against a wall to show the cutoff line? Thanks.
+ 1 on not going 55w headlights

i have 55w in my fogs right now and had 55w DDM HID low beam kit, 8k to match the fogs.. they were too bright, everyone was highbeaming me when i just had the low beams on. Even got the dealer to adjust them back to stock height, nothing worked, i went back to stock within a few days and sold the low beam kit on ebay.:crybaby:

as far as the fogs, i kinda wish i had gone with 35w. i mean my lights are great looking, whiter than stock, light up the whole road, and awesome at getting slow cars out of the left lane... thats about it hahah.. i dont use them with on coming traffic just on the highway

stepchild21
07-20-12, 02:04 AM
Photos of 35w 6000k hid's in dual halo aftermarket headlights.

EdmundGTP
07-20-12, 01:44 PM
That's a pretty sold set of beams for only 35 watt bulbs. Color me impressed. Definitely looks like a viable option for when my lenses start to deteriorate.

we3hokies
07-24-12, 11:02 PM
Looks like there are several cts headlamps with the hid ballast included. Which seller are people going with? Thanks

kerberos
07-29-12, 09:28 AM
Do the halos have a strong blue tint? See too many people w/ light upgrades on cars that are just strong blue "HID" lights. Most of your pics show more of a clean white, but some show more of a blue color. Nice phone case btw.

stepchild21
07-29-12, 04:40 PM
Well the halos are 7000k CCFL's. So a pretty bright white at night. And the low beams are a 6000k 35w hid. And I just made custom fog lights and changed those to 6000k hids aswell to match

Fiero
07-30-12, 11:48 PM
Hi gang,
I just got my set of dual halo headlights off ebay. I opted for the 35w 6000K HID version.
got them from this store:
http://stores.ebay.ca/ctrusaStore?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I have a 2007 3.6L with Performance & Appearance package, so I will need to replace the stock HID lights with the after-market ones.
Does anyone have pictures of how they wired the after-market ones? Also, any insight on how to best "decommission" the headlight washers?

I will take pictures when I get the courage to install these, but the CTS is my daily driver so I can't have her apart for long trying to experiment with the connections.

Any insight or helpful links appreciated!!

Thanks.

san2cci
07-31-12, 12:31 AM
Those lights don't work with your factory headlight set-up; atleast that's what the disclaimer on the website says....only the factory halo headlight setup.
"03-07 Cadillac CTS ( Fit Halogen Type ONLY, DOES NOT FIT CTS with stock Xenon HID )"
Whether you can rewire and disconnect your headlamp washers, Idk

Your stock headlights w/ factory HID, and headlamp washers are 10x nicer than any aftermarket headlight, even the halo's IMO ;)
You will lose resale value of your car by getting rid of your factory HID lights. So if you do take them out, keep them, and put them back in if you ever sell your car!

stepchild21
07-31-12, 01:41 AM
I did mine on my 04 v. And I can pretty well guarantee you can do this in one afternoon easily. This thread shows earlier in it what wires do what, if you end up needing to rewire anything. And I just plugged off my hoses for my washer hoses. And pulled the fuse for them. No issues as of yet.

* also I complete disagree with saying the stock look better. Corrosion, scratches, fading does not look good to me. And I know the dual halos that I installed look close to stock. An I have received nothing but compliments on them.

stepchild21
07-31-12, 01:42 AM
Also all I did was bought the aftermarket headlights and installed an aftermarket pair of hids.

san2cci
07-31-12, 01:48 AM
I appreciate your opinion; but I guess since I have the stock halogen without the headlight washers, the stock HID's with headlight washers to me are like the holy grail of headlights ;)

ALSO: you could always restore your headlights for about $20 to get rid of corrosion, scratching, and fading

stepchild21
07-31-12, 01:51 AM
The headlight washers are pretty cool. But hids are hids. Oem or aftermarket they're pretty well the same. And for me I keep my car pretty well perfectly clean 24/7. So other then looking like James bond and having something sweet washing my headlights, I actually never had need for headlight washers.

etcts-v
07-31-12, 01:42 PM
FYI, the price on the dual halos dropped on e-bay quite a bit. Just ordered a set last night for $278.00, here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-VIP-BLK-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Lamps-Assembly-/320831647780?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item4ab30e7024&vxp=mtr

Side Note: WTF is the point of Headlight washers anyways, I've never seen a single benefit from a wash of my headlights... stupid feature IMO

stepchild21
07-31-12, 02:48 PM
Wow those dropped a lot since I bought them. Great deal. Put up pics of your halos when you install them. I'd really like to see how bright they are compared to mine. I think mine might have not been the true 7000k halos.

etcts-v
07-31-12, 04:16 PM
Yeah I was shocked when I saw the price last night! I'll post pics for sure, I'm also doing HID's, got 6000k w/ 50 watt ballasts but I may drop to 35 watt once I see the headlights, don't want to melt anything!

I sold my stock ballasts for $60 each & bulbs for $20 each so that will help pay for these new ones!

stepchild21
07-31-12, 04:32 PM
I'd stick with 35w. Mine are considerably brighter then the oem hids.

And im not gonna lie I'm extremely jealous of that price haha

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-01-12, 04:32 PM
What bulbs do they use (for HID kit use)?

etcts-v
08-01-12, 08:16 PM
H7 ~ I'm ordering the 35watt kit from ddm as we speak!

aantalis
08-02-12, 01:04 AM
Anyone like the chrome over black? I have stealth grey V but am worried the chrome is overdone on these lamps and might look cheap.

stepchild21
08-02-12, 02:33 AM
Personally I find the black looks very OEM which is what I enjoy about them. But I'd definitly like to see the look of the chrome. And also my V is silver and everything's blacked out so it matched

aantalis
08-03-12, 01:48 PM
I assume these are directionally adjustible in the usual way? Also, did you HID-kit your high beams? Is that what you ordered? and what is the website for ddm?

I agree yours looks fantastic blacked out. My stealth grey is kinda blue so the chrome looks nice on the wheels, i recently got lollygagger8's optional wheels and they look good. I just think the chrome headlamps look too "aftermarket". Think Ill go for black.

stepchild21
08-03-12, 02:10 PM
I did not use hids in my high beams just do to the fact that I never use my high beams. And yes there are to adjust screws on each headlamp.

And I completely agree. Personally I think the chrome is too flashy for my taste and looks very "aftermarket" but too each there own.

FuzzyLogic
08-03-12, 06:52 PM
I'd like to see pictures of these in the sunlight.

stepchild21
08-04-12, 03:31 AM
Lately I've been trying to upload new photos but all it says is. "you have exceeded your quota" every time I try to upload new pics.

Any one else ever get this ??

san2cci
08-04-12, 07:14 PM
That means you have the limit of pictures uploaded; Go to Settings, then Attachments on the left side bar all the way at the bottom, and go through and delete some of your uploaded pictures on different threads so it will clear up some room to upload new pics.

FuzzyLogic
08-04-12, 09:03 PM
Stepchild, in the following picture, are your CCFLs illuminated? If so, they look very dim. Personally, I hate the 6000K+ color, and would be interested in anyone's thoughts regarding how hard it might be to build a set of more normal 4300K halos and double up on the H7 projectors in the headlamp assembly.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r615/stepchild21/3afc72b5.jpg

stepchild21
08-04-12, 09:08 PM
The halos are illuminated in the headlights but I do believe the company falsely advertised them being CCFL. The fogs are 7000k CCFL. the headlights unfortunately aren't.

kerberos
08-07-12, 07:03 PM
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r615/stepchild21/fafd977c.jpg
The fitment around the edge where the light meets the fender looks off. Is it that bad or is it the picture?

etcts-v
08-07-12, 09:12 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, of course I promptly dropped one of them and have a nice scratch on the front housing! oh well...

My Halo's are super bright, way brighter than the ones in your photos. I'll post up a picture tonight, still waiting on the 35 watt kit from ddm to show up hopefully today or tomorrow. I was able to sell the 50 watt kit on e-bay though so happy about that.

Initial impressions are these are very well built, WAAAAY better than those other POS e-bay headlights I bought and promptly sold (those things were complete china crap). Also they are adjustable and have the rear clip-in bolt that the other e-bay lights were lacking.

One thing I don't like is they still have the stupid grey edges, going to paint those up this weekend like I had on my stock lenses.

Just a note for aantalis a few lines up, you don't want to use HID's on high beams due to the fact they do not respond well to rapid on and off such as in the case of flashing other drivers or repeated off and on from cars coming opposite direction. In addition our cars are wired with larger gauge wire and higher amp circuits for the low beams which will support an HID ballast (CTS-V anyway). If you were to get HID's for the high beams you would either need to re-wire, or buy the dual in kits that DDM sells.

I'll post some pics of mine as soon as I get them strapped on, thanks again for this post, helped a lot in my decision and I'm pleased with the purchase!

etcts-v
08-07-12, 09:15 PM
PS you can up your photo storage limit by becoming a supporting member! ;)

stepchild21
08-07-12, 09:18 PM
I'm extemely jealous that yours are bright and you paid less !!! I'm phoning the company and telling them they falsely advertised these lights to me. Such a piss off.

Can't wait to see your pics !!!

FuzzyLogic
08-07-12, 09:30 PM
etcts-v, I'd be interested in hearing what kit you bought and what options you purchased (if any). I'm running a 35W DDM foglamp kit with 4200K bulbs bought elsewhere, and figured that I might try their 4500K option for use with this housing.

Have you considered using the stock ballasts and buying a D1S adapter for the H7 bulbs?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/360/000/364/364000360_192.jpg

Lastly, I'd be interested in hearing how bright the primary bulbs are compared to the stock setup, since the OEM projectors have the old school diffused lenses instead of being completely clear.

FuzzyLogic
08-07-12, 10:36 PM
By the way, on those headlamps, is the interior black and the outer edge OEM grey?

carlson_mn
08-08-12, 12:44 AM
I agree that anything beyond 6k makes me think RICE and more than 2 pair of halos on a car makes me think double RICE. For aftermarket housings these look nice though.

etcts-v
08-08-12, 03:19 AM
The halo rings are 7000k so I went with the 35 watt 6000k slim H7 kit from DDM. Originally I purchased the 50 watt kit but decided against it as I didn't want to blind oncoming traffic nor melt any housings.

I sold my stock ballasts for $85 each on e-bay to help pay for these new lights so I don't have them to use with this setup, plus I'm pretty sure there is no way you could fit a D1S bulb in these headlights. Personally I like the 6000k look, white with a very slight hint of blue, stock 4300k is to yellow for me.

Yes the outer edge is grey which looks like crap on my completely blacked out car!

Here are some photos of my lights as well as the comparison between the H7 and D1S so you can see what I mean by them not fitting. Note in my pictures that this is only the Halo lights, no headlights as the headlights are not in my car yet.

D1S Bulb:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/d1s.jpg

H7 Bulb:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/477.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/IMG_1063.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/IMG_1045.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/IMG_1047.jpg

FuzzyLogic
08-08-12, 06:45 AM
Is there any way to add the headlamp washers in there?

etcts-v
08-08-12, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately No, that was my hope as well. It's one solid piece just shaped like the headlight washers. I just removed the lines and capped them off at the reservoir. Still trying to sell the pumps on e-bay! Haha

etcts-v
08-08-12, 11:48 AM
I did get the edges painted up last night, I'll post a pic tonight after the paint drys. Excited to see how they look all black!

etcts-v
08-09-12, 01:27 AM
And back to black, much better!

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/6c973d8b.jpg

stepchild21
08-09-12, 01:31 AM
Yours are wayyyy brighter then mine. You definitly got the true 7000k ccfl's. I'm pissed but man do yours look good. Congrats !!!!

FuzzyLogic
08-09-12, 11:12 AM
Before you and I forget, could you provide a few general details regarding your paint selection and application process?

danrob0123
08-09-12, 03:34 PM
And back to black, much better!

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/6c973d8b.jpg

Please post a bunch of pics once you get 'em installed! I'm thinking of ordering a set of these too. I've had a cracked headlight lens forever so I've been looking for a replacement and these look like a great buy

etcts-v
08-09-12, 06:23 PM
I'll post pics for sure! Hopefully the lights from DDM will be in the mailbox when I get home tonight and I can get everything back on!

Fuzzy, the painting is really easy. First mask off the center of the lights paying careful attention to the new lines you want for the edges. I went in a 1/4 just to make sure there was no way to see the grey edges. Luckily on these lights there are very distinct clean lines that you can follow with the masking tape for clean straight edges.

Next step I did a light sanding with 800 grit around all the edges to remove the gloss on the plastic and get a good roughed up starting point, I made sure that any shiny parts were sanded enough to produce a dull base. I then cleaned the edges with some duplicolor prep spray. The prep spray removes any wax, greases etc, even though these are new I wanted to make sure there were no chemicals on the surface to mess with good adhesion.

The prep spray always leaves an oil residue which you want to make sure is completely removed. This was easily accomplished with a good wipe down with acetone, the acetone will remove any chemicals and leave a nice dry finish. I then sprayed one light coat of adhesion promoter followed 10 min later by three light colors of Dupli-color gloss (you can use any color or paint you want on this if you have a different colored car) waiting at least 10 min before coats (critical step, painting plastic has a propensity to bubble if you spray coats two thick or don't give the 10 min set time). Following 15 min of drying of the base I sprayed three light coats of dupli-color clear and viola!

You may be tempted to do thick coats of clear or more than three coats but I would highly recommend you avoid this. I've experimented a lot with painting plastic and thick coats or many coats of gloss not only run, but will crack or bubble when drying. 3 coats is plenty. If you want more protection (these are in the front and prone to rock chips), after you're finished let everything dry for 7-10days. After its set rock hard you can go back do a light sand and spray more clear, the best would be to clear the entire from of the assembly as there will be a distinct edge from the masking which would be best protected with a sanding fade of the edges and a clear to cover and lock in everything.

here are the products I used:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumEnamel/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/greaseWaxRemover/

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesionPromoter/

FuzzyLogic
08-11-12, 12:04 AM
Looking forward to seeing pictures of these things installed. I'm on the verge of buying a set with DDM Raptor 55W 4500K H7 bulbs, but I'd like to see how they look on a CTS-V first. I'd also like to try to etcts-v to paint them for me, but he's on the other side of the country. :/

I wish I could put the washers in there and restore the corner LEDs. Does anything flash when you lock the doors?

Finally, I'm worried about the color temperature of those halos. The eBay page says 7000K, which is really, really ghetto blue/purple. Most people that take pictures of headlights have no idea how to color the color balance settings of their cameras, so it's really hard to tell what the true color of the lights are. etcts-v, is the color in your pictures the same as they are in real life?

stepchild21
08-11-12, 03:21 AM
7000k on the halos are a very bright white. Defintly nowheres near a "ghetto blue/purple" purple usually is only in anything 12000k and up.

stepchild21
08-11-12, 03:22 AM
Also the halos flash when you lock or unlock your doors.

etcts-v
08-11-12, 02:43 PM
Yeah fuzzy 7000k is not ghetto purple, they are bright white with a hint of blue. You're thinking of 12000k. The pictures match exactly the color in real life!

The lights look fantastic on the car, I'll post pics soon.

etcts-v
08-11-12, 06:16 PM
Daytime shots

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/c0b050d6.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/084e2f63.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/eeaf8418.jpg

FuzzyLogic
08-11-12, 09:26 PM
The reason why I don't think anyone responded is because those pictures are a little . . . befuddling.

The second shot is helpful, as it captures the rings and the entire black border (expert job on the paint). The other shots are at a weird angle--either too close to the front of the car, or too high up to show any distinguishing features. The reflection off the blacked out car and the driveway makes me feel like I'm looking at a sepia enhanced photo. Hoping you add a couple more pictures. I'm not sure that my CTS-V will benefit from the black paint job--I'm probably better off painting the eyelids and washer housings infrared. I suppose I could try doing the remainder of the border black, but that'd be a job for a professional.

kerberos
08-12-12, 02:07 AM
Holy elephantiasis emblem Batman! Is that the stock emblem? Car looks really good. This thread is going to hurt my wallet eventually.

aantalis
08-12-12, 05:10 PM
Looks great. Some clarification please. Did you order the lights and the H7 HID kit separately? Some sellers are selling them as a package. Can you tell us which vendor you used to order the the lights. Your CCFL do look brighter. I think your pics are fine.

aantalis
08-12-12, 10:32 PM
Here is the link for the headlight plus HID Kit on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-VIP-BLack-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Headlights-6000K-Slim-HID-/190712989812?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c67614874#ht_3876wt_1049

FuzzyLogic
08-12-12, 11:00 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-VIP-BLack-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Headlights-6000K-Slim-HID-/190712989812?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c67614874#ht_3876wt_1049

I wouldn't bother with the bundled HIDs. The quality of those Chinese ballasts and bulbs is pretty poor. You usually don't get the color that you were expecting, plus, they're not as bright.

stepchild21
08-13-12, 02:18 AM
When I ordered my kit with hids it came from USA. And was here in canada within a week, and definitly not cheap quality whatsoever. I'm extremely happy with mine. Came with "Beamers" hids. And our local performance shop sells the same brand.

FuzzyLogic
08-13-12, 06:35 AM
When I ordered my kit with hids it came from USA. And was here in canada within a week, and definitly not cheap quality whatsoever. I'm extremely happy with mine. Came with "Beamers" hids. And our local performance shop sells the same brand.

The kit is made in China. I discussed the grey border situation with the manufacturer.

etcts-v
08-13-12, 01:46 PM

Not bad Price, however I paid the same and got my HID's from DDM which offers lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts. With that said would be nice to order whole kit from someone.

etcts-v
08-13-12, 01:48 PM
Holy elephantiasis emblem Batman! Is that the stock emblem? Car looks really good. This thread is going to hurt my wallet eventually.

It's a stock Escalade emblem, nice and big!!

stepchild21
08-13-12, 03:49 PM
It's look unreal if you blacked out the center of the Cadillac emblem and kept the chrome trim around it. Your car looks amazing

etcts-v
08-13-12, 05:32 PM
Thanks! I tried a few different versions of blacked out emblems, wasn't a fan and went back to all chrome. But may try it again some day.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/photo-1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/IMG_01542.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/IMG_0153-Copy.jpg

stepchild21
08-13-12, 06:03 PM
I have mine where just the center part is blacked out an the chrome wreath around the outside is still chrome. I like it quite a bit. But definitly wish mine was that big haha

etcts-v
08-13-12, 08:19 PM
I have mine where just the center part is blacked out an the chrome wreath around the outside is still chrome. I like it quite a bit. But definitly wish mine was that big haha

Hmm, I'm going to try this!! Would be easy to drop in a vinyl piece to see how it looks.

stepchild21
08-13-12, 09:58 PM
It honestly took me 5 minutes. And I think it'll even look better on your car then mine haha I'd show you a pic but mines in the shop for the clutch and tranny right now

stepchild21
08-13-12, 09:59 PM
Actually zoom into the third photo of this thread and take a look. That's mine

etcts-v
08-14-12, 02:53 AM
I like it! Good taste, did you use just a straight black vinyl? I've got some black carbon fiber lying vinyl around somewhere I could try, again another great mod idea! Haha I'm copying all your ideas!!

stepchild21
08-14-12, 08:50 AM
hey I'm just glad i can help haha now all we need is a photo shoot of both out cars !!!

And mine is a just a glossy black vinyl that I had lying in the house

stepchild21
08-14-12, 09:34 AM
I also did this to all my V decals around the car. Just something to consider haha

shadybx7
08-14-12, 06:17 PM
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/ellioth3771/c0b050d6.jpg
lights look great. thanks for the thread

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-18-12, 02:37 AM
Does anybody know what the high beam bulb in these is? It's not the 9005xs that I ordered... :/

etcts-v
08-18-12, 01:59 PM
It's an H1

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-18-12, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like the high beam in my SRT8 Jeep is a regular 9005. Maybe I can use these there so they don't go to waste.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-18-12, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like the high beam in my SRT8 Jeep is a regular 9005. Maybe I can use these there so they don't go to waste.

...and they do work. Really easy swap there with plenty of room for the different angled connector (stock is just 9005). I'll have to wait until night to see how they look with the HIDs.

As for the V lights, I hooked one up as is and it looks like the low beams don't work wired as is. Or could it be I still had the other side stock light hooked up. Electrical stuff and me don't get along very well... The halos are really bright though (I tried to take a picture with my phone but it didn't work.

Had to order new high beam bulbs and still waiting on the DDM HID kit for the low beams.

etcts-v
08-19-12, 03:34 AM

You have an SRT8 to compliment your V! Jealous...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-20-12, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it's a good combo. ;)

mlimanti
08-29-12, 06:53 PM
I am interested in making this swap myself. Just want to be clear on what you guys have ordered to acheive this install properly.

You order the 6000k HID kit that is on ebay, and this comes with only the headlights and halo's for around $300.

Then you must order an aftermarket set of HID's, namely the 35w 6000k from a place like DDM to replace the lowbeams? Which type of bulb? How much are these?

The factory high beam bulb works fine in the new housing?

Wire it all up as previously described in this thread and you have new housings, new low beam HID's, and the factory high beams for around $350?

FuzzyLogic
08-29-12, 08:10 PM
I am interested in making this swap myself. Just want to be clear on what you guys have ordered to acheive this install properly.

You order the 6000k HID kit that is on ebay, and this comes with only the headlights and halo's for around $300.

Then you must order an aftermarket set of HID's, namely the 35w 6000k from a place like DDM to replace the lowbeams? Which type of bulb? How much are these?

The factory high beam bulb works fine in the new housing?

Wire it all up as previously described in this thread and you have new housings, new low beam HID's, and the factory high beams for around $350?

Some of that information is right there in the link. Basically, you're going to be buying yourself a custom set of H7 HIDs. The high beams are H1s. They might be the same as the factory bulbs, but I won't know until my set arrives next week. You'll have to wire everything yourself. Personally, I don't recommend anything above 4500K, because you're trading brightness for what usually is considered a ghetto/modder blue that looks cheap. All told, you're probably looking at $375 if you order 55W DDM HIDs.

stepchild21
08-29-12, 08:58 PM
Just would like to say ( completely opinionated) but 55w have been known to burn lenses and projectors. And makes them foggy. I'd stick with 35w. And 6000k is more of a white. Definitly extremely bright. I had 10,000k 8000k and now I'm at 6000k and absolutely love it.

FuzzyLogic
08-29-12, 09:50 PM
Just would like to say ( completely opinionated) but 55w have been known to burn lenses and projectors. And makes them foggy. I'd stick with 35w. And 6000k is more of a white. Definitly extremely bright. I had 10,000k 8000k and now I'm at 6000k and absolutely love it.

You're not going to burn glass projectors.

stepchild21
08-29-12, 09:51 PM
Valid point. I retract my statement

etcts-v
08-30-12, 10:55 PM
Just like to add that I wish I would have gone more in the 4k to 5k range, I have 6000k on everything and it's too blue IMO.

1percenter
09-06-12, 07:09 PM
looks real nice!!! wonder how it works slightly tinted

FuzzyLogic
09-09-12, 01:36 PM
Sorry I honestly didnt even think of taking pics while she was all apart. I was kinda head down ass up trying to get it done before the storm rolled up.

But I can say which wires I sodered together, because their is some slight wiring changes that need to be made.

**** Cts v wiring harness has 2 ground wire for hids. So I this is why I sodered all my connections so that I could utilize both grounds. Most likey not necessary but I wanted to play it safe.

*** also plug off the washer hoses that were going to the stock headlights as the new ones will not have that option.***

Hope this helps

Did you have trouble with the connector tabs retracting into the casing when you tried to plug the car's wiring harness into the headlight? After checking your list, you don't need to swap around wires unless you want to double up on the ground wires.

I have a 12VDC power supply that I've been using to test everything--the ballasts and bulbs are obviously operational because they light when I connect directly to the wires, but when I plug the thing into the car, the dashboard light illuminates but the bulbs don't. I wonder if it's necessary to wire both grounds together after all.

stepchild21
09-09-12, 06:01 PM
Yes my tabs kept retracting that's why I soldered mine together. And I kept all my original male and female plugs Incase I go back to oem. The wiring diagram is just Incase someone else needs to go this route aswell.

stepchild21
09-09-12, 06:02 PM
And since I was soldering anyway I used both ground wires. So I can't be certain if you NEED both or not.

etcts-v
09-09-12, 06:04 PM
I had same problem, also just soldered mine. I tried some Seam sealer to get the damn tab to stop pushing in but it didn't work.

FuzzyLogic
09-09-12, 07:52 PM
Mmkay. Well, I have the halos and high beams operational, but the DDM 55w Raptor ballasts aren't firing despite testing them inside with a 12VDC power supply. I suspect that I may have hooked up the ballasts incorrectly. When I was inside the house, I just swapped around the leads once or twice to get them to light up, but now, it appears that something is wrong.

Question: on the inside of the headlamp, there was a hardwired incandescent bulb that the headlight shipped with. When I installed the DDM ballasts, I snipped those wires and spliced the blue one to the red wire input on the DDM ballasts and the black to the black. Then I mounted the ballast to the spot where you normally have your D1S HID ballast and ran the ballast's output directly to the HID bulbs. Do you see anything wrong with that? This must be a wiring issue, but I'm open to any suggestions. It's certainly possible that I still don't have those connector tabs in quite as far as they should be.

Edit: Preview:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/DSC00206.jpg

etcts-v
09-10-12, 02:03 PM
Mmkay. Well, I have the halos and high beams operational, but the DDM 55w Raptor ballasts aren't firing despite testing them inside with a 12VDC power supply. I suspect that I may have hooked up the ballasts incorrectly. When I was inside the house, I just swapped around the leads once or twice to get them to light up, but now, it appears that something is wrong.

Question: on the inside of the headlamp, there was a hardwired incandescent bulb that the headlight shipped with. When I installed the DDM ballasts, I snipped those wires and spliced the blue one to the red wire input on the DDM ballasts and the black to the black. Then I mounted the ballast to the spot where you normally have your D1S HID ballast and ran the ballast's output directly to the HID bulbs. Do you see anything wrong with that? This must be a wiring issue, but I'm open to any suggestions. It's certainly possible that I still don't have those connector tabs in quite as far as they should be.

I don't see anything wrong with it but if you are having issues with them firing I would hit a Multimeter on that line and make sure the wiring is correct, most likely its the connector tabs aren't pushed in all the way that is causing the issue.

The factory wiring has larger gauge wires running for the HID bulbs as they should. I'm fairly confident these aftermarket headlights have smaller gauge wires running inside the housing due to the non-hid setup they ship with, so if you are running a splice from the wiring inside the housing out to the ballasts then you are going from larger gauge factory wiring to smaller gauge wiring to the ballast, do you follow? Personally I bypassed that non sense, I clipped the factory wiring (large Gauge) from the factory harness and ran directly to the ballasts before going into the housing, then I ran the outputs of the ballasts directly to the bulbs.

FuzzyLogic
09-10-12, 02:39 PM
I may have to do that. The obvious downside is that removing the headlights will be even more of a pain ik the future.

etcts-v
09-10-12, 03:20 PM
I may have to do that. The obvious downside is that removing the headlights will be even more of a pain ik the future.

I attached my low beam ballast to the car and the Halo ballast to the underside of the light (where the stock D1S ballast was) so all I have to do when removing my headlight is unplug the factory harness from the back and remove the HID bulb which isn't very difficult.

bubbolootz
09-10-12, 10:09 PM
Let me get this straight, do you have to source out a non-hid headlamp connector from a base cts to use for these headlamps and rewire them to the v harness correct?

FuzzyLogic
09-10-12, 10:53 PM
Let me get this straight, do you have to source out a non-hid headlamp connector from a base cts to use for these headlamps and rewire them to the v harness correct?

No. Where did you get that idea?

stepchild21
09-11-12, 01:10 AM
Actually that's not a bad idea, that way the tabs on the connectors would go together properly. And not get pushed in from them being different sizes. That way it would stay a plug and play system.

stepchild21
09-11-12, 01:12 AM
That is IF the Cts uses smaller gauge wires. Could be simply the fact that the headlights are aftermarket and use smaller gauge wires

bubbolootz
09-11-12, 02:03 PM
I thought that because I work at a gm dealership and I looked at a picture of the connector end views and I swear the connectors looked different so I thought I had to source out a harness from non hid and rewire it to the hid main harness in the vehicle. Guess not. Anyways I still grabbed one from the wreckers.

stepchild21
09-11-12, 03:08 PM
I thought that because I work at a gm dealership and I looked at a picture of the connector end views and I swear the connectors looked different so I thought I had to source out a harness from non hid and rewire it to the hid main harness in the vehicle. Guess not. Anyways I still grabbed one from the wreckers.

Let me know how this goes. I'm very interested in this idea

FuzzyLogic
09-16-12, 11:30 PM
Figured I'd drop an update in here. Still tweaking, but initial impressions are excellent. In person, the look of six vertical halos is pretty unique--even my BMW-driving friends did an abrupt 180 after seeing these things in person. I'll have better pictures later. For now, I'm just basking in the glow of:

Six 7000K CCFL halos
Two 55 watt 4500K projector headlights
Two 35 watt 4500K projector foglamps (not illuminated in these pictures)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/DSC00243.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/DSC00249.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JMuh3sDKs

Before I forget--the color temperature depicted in these pictures is accurate. I double-checked. You get a nice, strong purple-blue-white flash as you move through the transition between the blocked and unblocked portion of the projection beam.

aantalis
09-17-12, 02:10 AM
Very nice. What did you finally do with the wiring? Connect to spade terminals with wires cut from female connector? Did you solder and if so, exactly what? The spade terminals or just wire connections?. I will be starting mine this week, so any help is appreciated.

FuzzyLogic
09-17-12, 05:42 AM
I cut out the connectors on both ends and spliced the wires.

aantalis
09-17-12, 09:41 AM
You cut out the connector at the headlamp? How did you fill the hole, protect the lamp from moisture?

FuzzyLogic
09-17-12, 01:32 PM
Silicon sealant.

bubbolootz
09-19-12, 04:35 PM
Hmm my buddy grabbed used harnesses for me at the wreckers, hopefully the right ones. The v is in the body shop il be going there this weekend to see if I can wire them up

FuzzyLogic
09-22-12, 10:25 PM
Here's one more picture (below). I checked this for accuracy against real life--the headlights are a little green in the picture because of the camera's imperfect color correction. In reality, both the headlights and foglights look exactly like what you're seeing in the foglamp. Pure white core with the slightest hint of blue or purple.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/IMG_0241_zps96461706.jpg

mike6466
09-27-12, 03:52 PM
These look good

ronr
09-29-12, 09:31 AM
So, I installed a set of these (Angel Eyes from ebay) yesterday.

First the good: They look great. Additionally, the wiring was pretty much plug and play. No cutting wires, no soldering. There was a small piece of the plastic on each headlight that needed to be trimmed off for the factory connector to go on correctly (this is used for mistake proofing the assembly in the factory so that the V Series and the standard lights don't get mixed up on the models.) Additionally, the passengers side light had a different connector on the light than the drivers side. The difference was that the pass side looked exactly like my factory light in that it did not have a plastic area raised between the 2 rows of electrical contacts in the connector. The drivers side did have this raised area. As a consequence, the drivers side connector on wiring harness had to have a small piece right behind the low beam contact (yellow wire) inside the connector removed. This was easily done with a small pair of needle nose pliers. After that everything just plugged in and worked like design (except for the headlight washers of course.)

The bad news: The fit was not nearly as good as I had hoped but I'll live with it.

NOTE: I've got an early '04 that came from the factory with 5 pin HID Ballasts. Perhaps the early V's used wiring more similar to the standard CTS's and that is why it was relatively easy for me to connect but I'm not sure.

FuzzyLogic
09-29-12, 01:11 PM
With regards to the fit: if you push the headlight up and toward the back of the car when you tighten it down, it'll sit nicely. If you don't, it'll look bad.

etcts-v
09-30-12, 03:38 AM
So, I installed a set of these (Angel Eyes from ebay) yesterday.

First the good: They look great. Additionally, the wiring was pretty much plug and play. No cutting wires, no soldering. There was a small piece of the plastic on each headlight that needed to be trimmed off for the factory connector to go on correctly (this is used for mistake proofing the assembly in the factory so that the V Series and the standard lights don't get mixed up on the models.) Additionally, the passengers side light had a different connector on the light than the drivers side. The difference was that the pass side looked exactly like my factory light in that it did not have a plastic area raised between the 2 rows of electrical contacts in the connector. The drivers side did have this raised area. As a consequence, the drivers side connector on wiring harness had to have a small piece right behind the low beam contact (yellow wire) inside the connector removed. This was easily done with a small pair of needle nose pliers. After that everything just plugged in and worked like design (except for the headlight washers of course.)

The bad news: The fit was not nearly as good as I had hoped but I'll live with it.

NOTE: I've got an early '04 that came from the factory with 5 pin HID Ballasts. Perhaps the early V's used wiring more similar to the standard CTS's and that is why it was relatively easy for me to connect but I'm not sure.

Plug and play with HID ballasts?? Are you running the stock ballasts?

ronr
09-30-12, 07:20 AM
Plug and play with HID ballasts?? Are you running the stock ballasts?

The HID ballasts come with spade connectors that plug directly into the low beam light bulb connector (inside the light housing). The lights came with standard bulbs that need to be removed and replaced with the HID's.

FuzzyLogic
09-30-12, 10:01 AM
Ronr, your situation sounds totally different than mine. Weird.

tmonttt
10-01-12, 06:05 PM
Here are a few random pictures of my Dual Halo headlights with the gray borders painted black to match the inner housing.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/tmonttt/C8649FE3-3B9B-4E10-A8B0-57B73B65D90A-17538-000008D3BEFED6C5.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/tmonttt/1028F702-8183-47A0-B1E4-111F2C19111D-17538-000008D3C8775665.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/tmonttt/DEFF2915-1BB6-46C9-8C29-2BD3CC7A0875-17538-000008D3CF49CF82.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/tmonttt/43BB33AC-50FD-4BFF-94B2-612996035B1B-17538-000008D3D678FD9D.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/tmonttt/26D6B742-D990-4E86-BBA1-3E1D4D27C7FC-12391-0000060E55B7A58A.jpg

etcts-v
10-01-12, 06:22 PM
The HID ballasts come with spade connectors that plug directly into the low beam light bulb connector (inside the light housing). The lights came with standard bulbs that need to be removed and replaced with the HID's.

So you're running stock HID ballasts to aftermarket bulbs? Or did you run the wires from inside the housing to your aftermarket ballast outside of the housing then back into the housing and aftermarket bulbs?

I'm confused just trying to figure out your setup. All of us ran aftermarket HID ballasts with aftermarket HID bulbs (hence the required soldering), the stock wiring all goes into the housing via one plug, at least on my car it does.

ronr
10-02-12, 10:08 PM
So you're running stock HID ballasts to aftermarket bulbs? Or did you run the wires from inside the housing to your aftermarket ballast outside of the housing then back into the housing and aftermarket bulbs?

I'm confused just trying to figure out your setup. All of us ran aftermarket HID ballasts with aftermarket HID bulbs (hence the required soldering), the stock wiring all goes into the housing via one plug, at least on my car it does.

Sorry for the confusion. I used the aftermarket HID ballasts and bulbs. However, I mounted the ballasts inside the headlight housing (eliminating the need to run wires in and out of the housing.)

etcts-v
10-03-12, 03:43 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I used the aftermarket HID ballasts and bulbs. However, I mounted the ballasts inside the headlight housing (eliminating the need to run wires in and out of the housing.) Ahhh, that makes sense! Good work around, I should have done the same!

Silencertk
10-11-12, 06:34 AM
I also installed the Ebay Dual Halo Headlights last week. Unfortunatly my aftermarket HID kit didnt arrive until today. So I guess I'll be taking everything apart again. Not have HIDS from the factory basically means - I plug the aftermarket Ballasts into the provided H7 Bulb Plug inside the new headlight - then plug the Xenon Bulb into the Ballast - and then put the Bulb into its appropriate spot in the headlight, essentially running wires in and out of the headlight. Right?

I can eliminate the in/out wire drama if i mount the slim kit ballast inside the headlight. --- where did you do so? I mean, any specific spot? Is there any downside to mounting it inside there? Like heat or something? I'd prefer mounting it inside - for moisture purposes and because 5-0 over here in Germany doenst allow the HiD Kits. So wires coming out of my headlight housing would be a pretty obvious indicator that something is not stock.....

stepchild21
10-13-12, 12:15 AM
I just used 3m tape and mounted my ballast inside against the wall. There should be much of any heat created from the ballast itself. Not enough to be worried about at least. And this way you can keep all wires inside.

zang8303
10-17-12, 10:30 PM
I just used 3m tape and mounted my ballast inside against the wall. There should be much of any heat created from the ballast itself. Not enough to be worried about at least. And this way you can keep all wires inside.

I might be a little late and I apologize but just joined tonight ... My ctsv headlight stopped working and after taking front end apart and switching bulbs and ballasts turns out I have a bad ballast.. And instead of paying 3 or 400 $ buying a new one I thought I might buy these headlights as long as I can get them rigged up .. This thread has been extremely helpful but stepkid can you tell me how u wired the halos to run with the DRL and do they also stay on at night with DRL not on???

FuzzyLogic
10-17-12, 11:35 PM
I might be a little late and I apologize but just joined tonight ... My ctsv headlight stopped working and after taking front end apart and switching bulbs and ballasts turns out I have a bad ballast.. And instead of paying 3 or 400 $ buying a new one I thought I might buy these headlights as long as I can get them rigged up .. This thread has been extremely helpful but stepkid can you tell me how u wired the halos to run with the DRL and do they also stay on at night with DRL not on???

The CCFLs are intended to be wired to the wires that normally would supply that little corner LED in the stock headlight. Therefore, anytime that thing turns on, your CCFLs will come on.

aantalis
10-18-12, 05:08 PM
FAI(for anyone's info): I tried to split a wire from the signal/drl light to the halo and although the initial test worked individually per side with good signals, when I got all done and connected both sides, the signals wouldn't work. So i cut the splits. So the halos are only on with the triangle lights, ie parking lights switched on during day and auto at night. Also, as others have remarked, the fit is marginal, I couldn't install the bolt near the grill as it was off by 1/2 inch. Still happy with the result tho..

LaFlame
10-19-12, 09:35 AM
hey guys im new to the site... I am definitely going this route. The CCFL's look amazing and since my stock headlights are already oxidized to hell, i will be ordering these today most likely. I do have a few questions before i order anything tho.
I am planning on ordering the ebay CCFL 7000K headlights, does anyone suggest a good seller that I can be assured they are true 7000K and that they dont turn out like StepChild21 (no offense love the car)
Also I plan to order the 4300K 35w low beam hid's. Does anyone have the link to purchase a legit set of these? I found this site and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it... http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/cts-v/low-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-for-cadillac-cts-v-2005/

And im probably just retarded but how do i upload my picture for my profile on here?

Rolex
10-19-12, 04:54 PM
hey guys im new to the site... I am definitely going this route. The CCFL's look amazing and since my stock headlights are already oxidized to hell, i will be ordering these today most likely. I do have a few questions before i order anything tho.
I am planning on ordering the ebay CCFL 7000K headlights, does anyone suggest a good seller that I can be assured they are true 7000K and that they dont turn out like StepChild21 (no offense love the car)
Also I plan to order the 4300K 35w low beam hid's. Does anyone have the link to purchase a legit set of these? I found this site and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it... http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/cts-v/low-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-for-cadillac-cts-v-2005/

And im probably just retarded but how do i upload my picture for my profile on here?

The vendor you're posting in from NC and so are you. Is that a coincidence? Your vendor charges $100 for a HID kit. Since you're also in NC you can add NC sales tax to that price.

www.sharphid.com

SharpHID is a vendor here. They sell slim ballast HID kits for $50, don't charge you sales tax, and offer a lifetime warranty.

stepchild21
10-19-12, 06:13 PM
If you have the room use the full sized hid ballasts. They are made with better quality materials.

And since I was the first one to do this upgrade I did get a set that weren't CCFL, and by the time I figured that out I had already tampered with the wiring so they would not take them back. Oh well my fault haha. So if anything I'd recommend you'd test to make sure they're true CCFL before you do anything to the headlights or wiring.

I'm pretty sure fuzzy posted a link to an eBay ad that showed which seller he used.

LaFlame
10-19-12, 07:03 PM
wow I didnt even realize that they were only located 1 hour away from me... as for SHARPID it seems more unclear on the product, dont get me wrong i would love to pay $50 instead or $100 but i am worried i will order the wrong type.. http://www.sharphid.com/product_p/slimhid.htm is this what I should be buying for low beam hid's? 35w, h1 bulb, and 4500k for a brilliant pure white? I will be installing the ballast inside of the light due to NC having inspections. Any input or recommendations are greatly appreciated, I hope i am not making you guys repeat this stuff to much. thanks

Rolex
10-20-12, 09:11 AM
4500K makes pure white light and offers tons more light output over incandescent lights.

35 vs 55 watts is your choice. 55w will give you more luminous output, probably 30% more usable light. But even the 35w HIDs give you probably 200% more useable light over incandescent bulbs.

HID kits are a dime a dozen. Ebay has HID vendors and kits galore. I was just throwing SharpHID in your hat as a suggestion. Having a product with a warranty is never a bad thing. :cheers:

LaFlame
10-20-12, 01:20 PM
should i be ordering an h1 or h7 bulb with this hid low beam set up?

stepchild21
10-20-12, 03:02 PM
I did my install to long ago to remember which bulb type I used. Check the site you're ordering te headlights from. Should specify what type of bulb you need.

And try to get German built hids. Chinese knockoffs work. But typcally won't stay working for long. You get what you pay for in most cases. And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be ripping apart my front end every time a cheap hid burns out or starts malfunctioning. Even though it only takes about 20 mins once you're used to doing it. But buy a good set once, instead of multiple cheap sets.

aantalis
10-20-12, 05:24 PM
Looks like a good deal to me. I got the Chinese ones. No complaints. But I would have got these had I seen them. God luck with plug and play. If it doesn't work, I cut the car connector off, soldered the 3 leads and 2 grounds to a four connector higher quality trailer hitch plug, then the other end of the trailer plug leads soldered to the appropriate wires on the headlamp. If you direct wire to the ballast, you may be able to use the plug adapter they send with the kit to get the wires out of the lamp then solder. Do the headlamp inside. Be creative. Took me 4 hours. Plus 12 hours thinking and buying pieces parts.

Rolex
10-20-12, 05:55 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/authorized-vendor-classifieds/259944-xenondepot-super-sale-hid-kits-automotive.html

Another HID dealer here on the forums that offers a discount to CF members. Best of luck.

stepchild21
10-21-12, 04:54 AM
Looks like a good deal to me. I got the Chinese ones. No complaints. But I would have got these had I seen them. God luck with plug and play. If it doesn't work, I cut the car connector off, soldered the 3 leads and 2 grounds to a four connector higher quality trailer hitch plug, then the other end of the trailer plug leads soldered to the appropriate wires on the headlamp. If you direct wire to the ballast, you may be able to use the plug adapter they send with the kit to get the wires out of the lamp then solder. Do the headlamp inside. Be creative. Took me 4 hours. Plus 12 hours thinking and buying pieces parts.

Trailer plug wires = genius

Great idea there, I think I'm gonna have to use this idea aswell. Thanks for the tip !!!

LaFlame
10-21-12, 07:07 PM
im still waiting for my set to come it... is soldering necessary or is it possible just to splice the appropriate wires instead?

aantalis
10-21-12, 11:56 PM
Soldering is always best if you do it right, I kinda enjoy it with heatshrink tubing. You can use heatshrink crimp connectors found at oreillys auto parts. Better than standard cheap crimp connectors that will corrode. I wouldn't use standard splice/tap connectors with the fold over snap, too unreliable and you will be doing. It all over again in a year.

stepchild21
10-22-12, 01:16 AM
I also soldered and used the heat shrink tubing. That stuff is awesome. And overall is fairly quick to do.

etcts-v
10-22-12, 01:47 PM
This is an epic thread... 12 pages!

stepchild21
10-22-12, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty happy with it haha I think this will just get more and more popular as people's headlights get more corroded with time.

LaFlame
11-07-12, 09:24 PM

LaFlame
11-07-12, 09:35 PM
sometimes its nice to be a helocopter technician..

LaFlame
11-07-12, 09:41 PM
sometimes its nice to be a helocopter technician..

----------

7000k ccfl from ebay, 4500k hid from sharp hid, just put up picks of some of the install, i can take pics of the headlights in differnt stages of illumination if anyone is interested. just let me know
next project is the fog light ccfl and hid setup

joartstewey
11-21-12, 02:28 AM
FuzzyLogic, If you don't mind, what was the setup you used for the fogs? how much modification was done to the housing? I have been wanting to do this look but just paid for CTS-V fogs and dont want to throw money down the drain as I had not been able to find used ones...

FuzzyLogic
11-21-12, 07:29 AM
FuzzyLogic, If you don't mind, what was the setup you used for the fogs? how much modification was done to the housing? I have been wanting to do this look but just paid for CTS-V fogs and dont want to throw money down the drain as I had not been able to find used ones...

Not much...speaking of which, I bought a pair of CTS (not CTS-V) fogs to do the operation because the core housing is the same. Basically, I took one of those big, hole boring bits they use during home construction to make a path for conduit through wall studs and centered it on the back of the housing and pulled the trigger. Five minutes of chaos later, I had a hole of the correct size to accept the foglamp housing.

Then you need a good, glass projection lens assembly (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-LONG-RANGE-UNIVERSAL-HALO-GLASS-PROJECTOR-White-LED-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-ANGEL-EYES-/180899871965?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1e78fcdd&vxp=mtr), and a compatible HID set, and some silicon to seal the gap in the rear. Also, Lexan from Home Depot, something to cut it to fit, a bag of clamps, and tools to strip and splice wire.

All told, you're probably looking at $200 if you buy spare cores to work on.

Teradost123
01-13-13, 12:25 PM

Hope this helps

Hey man thanks for your find my headlight broke and there's no way I can pay 900 for a new one so this is a good way to go I read your way of doing it and was not sure of the wiring are the colors going to be on my old headlight do I have to take off the plug to see them and for my new head light the dual halo calf ones do I need to soldering each cable with the color you provided sorry I'm a newbie at wires and electrical stuff and don't understand to much that's why I'm asking so I don't mess up thank for all your help if you or anyone has any pics or videos it would be really awesome thanks again

EnV
01-13-13, 01:03 PM
I like these headlights a lot, but I wouldn't run the halos.

DrSpeed
01-15-13, 02:53 PM
Here's a photo of the halo's illuminated in blue.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/408394_521512417880277_1826717129_n.jpg

White.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408617_521512447880274_1934815604_n.jpg

etcts-v
01-16-13, 09:09 PM
^^ Damn great photo skilz!

mberisha
01-24-13, 01:08 AM
^^ Damn great photo skilz!

Not bad....could use more saturation! :tease:

Seriously though......sic pic.....

DrSpeed
01-24-13, 02:42 AM

More saturation, becuz racecar!

HAHAHA....touche.

----------

And clear your inbox!

Was trying to email you

----------

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/536899_400215080067516_2116761076_n.jpg

Photos of the new lights. Note the new painted black surrounds, insides, and halo ring.

Rez Rider
11-12-13, 07:27 PM
ok I feel so confused. I have a few questions. I have just bought an 05 V, all stock, does it already have hid's in it? according to Edmunds.com's review of the 05 V it says the car comes with Xenon hid's. So will this mean i have to only buy certain kind of headlights? I am looking at these www.protuninglab.com/hidxe03cacts.html has anyone ordered from them before? Do they look like quality lights? They said they will pre-install the conversion kit (if I need it) I am unsure because all places only list CTS lights but not CTS-V lights. Are they the same? I am a complete noob when it comes to this so all detailed information would be greatly appreciated. I just want the dual halos, with HID's, and with minimal modifications. thanks in advance!

OneFast V
11-19-13, 02:43 PM
ok I feel so confused. I have a few questions. I have just bought an 05 V, all stock, does it already have hid's in it? according to Edmunds.com's review of the 05 V it says the car comes with Xenon hid's. So will this mean i have to only buy certain kind of headlights? I am looking at these www.protuninglab.com/hidxe03cacts.html has anyone ordered from them before? Do they look like quality lights? They said they will pre-install the conversion kit (if I need it) I am unsure because all places only list CTS lights but not CTS-V lights. Are they the same? I am a complete noob when it comes to this so all detailed information would be greatly appreciated. I just want the dual halos, with HID's, and with minimal modifications. thanks in advance!

You already have HIDs. if you want a different color light you have to but new D1S bulbs. IF you buy the dual halo headlights from ebay they use a different bulb size for the low beam projectors. I believe it is an H7 in which case you would need to buy a full H7 HID kit (ballast and all). I'd recommend DDM tuning as they are cost effective and lifetime warrantied.

Rez Rider
11-19-13, 08:53 PM
You already have HIDs. if you want a different color light you have to but new D1S bulbs. IF you buy the dual halo headlights from ebay they use a different bulb size for the low beam projectors. I believe it is an H7 in which case you would need to buy a full H7 HID kit (ballast and all). I'd recommend DDM tuning as they are cost effective and lifetime warrantied.

I need all new assemblies. anybody know where I can just get new OEM headlight assemblies for my car? I like the look of the stock ones but they are oxidized bad and I just need new ones. The only place I have found was JC Whitney for $445 for the pair. Seems like a lot.

OneFast V
11-20-13, 12:10 PM
I need all new assemblies. anybody know where I can just get new OEM headlight assemblies for my car? I like the look of the stock ones but they are oxidized bad and I just need new ones. The only place I have found was JC Whitney for $445 for the pair. Seems like a lot.

Try refinishing them first with a 3M headlight repair kit before giving up on them.

odthetruth
11-20-13, 08:26 PM
Stock OEM with wiper options? You're talking ALOT of money new from anywhere from what I've seen.

Rez Rider
11-21-13, 08:53 PM
I would've tried that but they are badly scratched. I mean deep. I'm not sure what happened to them or what the previous owner had done.

Try refinishing them first with a 3M headlight repair kit before giving up on them.

----------

Stock OEM with wiper options? You're talking ALOT of money new from anywhere from what I've seen.

Here is where I get confused. I am new to the CTS-V but I don't have any headlight wipers. Are you saying that I have that as an option with these lights? I have read how a lot of folks are disappointed at the aftermarket lights not having wipers, but I currently don't have them, nor have I ever recall seeing a V with them.

Brackets
11-22-13, 12:44 AM
I would've tried that but they are badly scratched. I mean deep. I'm not sure what happened to them or what the previous owner had done.

That's what they all do. Previous owner probably had nothing to do with it.

----------

Here is where I get confused. I am new to the CTS-V but I don't have any headlight wipers. Are you saying that I have that as an option with these lights? I have read how a lot of folks are disappointed at the aftermarket lights not having wipers, but I currently don't have them, nor have I ever recall seeing a V with them.

None of them have wipers. We do have headlight sprayers (the little triangles pop out and spray). The aftermarket ones don't have this function.

Rez Rider
11-24-13, 03:24 PM
None of them have wipers. We do have headlight sprayers (the little triangles pop out and spray). The aftermarket ones don't have this function.

so do you need to pop out the triangles so the sprayer is open? sorry didn't know about any of this

Brackets
11-25-13, 12:22 AM
The triangles will pop out and spray the headlight when you activate the windshield washer. Your headlights have to be turned on for the headlight washers to work. Check this out http://m.youtube.com/watch?sa=X&v=0NxbEiNdRg0&ved=0CBMQqwQ&ei=Sc-SUr-KNsGfkAe9qoFw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0NxbEiNdRg0%26sa%3DX%26 ei%3DSc-SUr-KNsGfkAe9qoFw%26ved%3D0CBMQqwQ

Rez Rider
11-29-13, 01:47 AM
holy crap! didn't even know those were there! lol! now I am returning the headlights i bought. They said they were just like OEM, but they don't have the washers, and now that I know I have the washers I want to keep them! hopefully I will be able to restore them. They do have some bad scratches though. Did my truck headlights yesterday with the Mothers brand restore kit, but I don't think that the Mothers brand would be good enough of a kit for the scratches my V has.

----------

Is the 3M repair kit the best out there? Like I said I'm just not confident that the Mothers brand I have would be good enough.