: 55watt D1S ballast and bulbs?

STS-4000
07-12-12, 08:08 PM
Hey guys! Do any of you know where I can find a D1S 55watt hid kit? I've been looking and i can't find any, if any of you know please send me the link!

Thanks!

scott9001
07-12-12, 08:12 PM
vvme.com the sight looks cheap iv bought 4 of there kits adn had no problems yet once i have to put a headlight in the car now i will be buying a set

Ludacrisvp
07-12-12, 11:16 PM
For D1S you need to get wiring adapters my personal choice in sites is www.theretrofitsource.com I don't think I've seen anyone run 55w kits in the STS. Getting 55w lamps don't really mean anything unless you get 55w ballasts too. Also most lamps that are labeled as 55w are not actually 55w 99% of all lamps are 35w designed but you can run them boosted to 55w and you will see slightly shorter lamp life and a slight color shift.

Mullah88
07-12-12, 11:45 PM
where (and what type) can i get a kit to change all the interior lighting to LED (incl. the license plate lights, altogether 12 lights "DIY")...i also want to change the low beam and fog lights to HID's, whats the best brand to use?

one more thing, the light on the volume button located on the steering wheel is out, are those easy to replace (DIY)

eatyoursandwich
07-13-12, 04:08 PM
For D1S you need to get wiring adapters my personal choice in sites is www.theretrofitsource.com I don't think I've seen anyone run 55w kits in the STS. Getting 55w lamps don't really mean anything unless you get 55w ballasts too. Also most lamps that are labeled as 55w are not actually 55w 99% of all lamps are 35w designed but you can run them boosted to 55w and you will see slightly shorter lamp life and a slight color shift.

I'm running 55w D1S low beams with multi-level output ballasts from retrofitsource. A few seconds after they ignite, they stay at 55w output give or take a watt or two. I spent the extra money on lifetime-warrantied bulbs -- no questions asked, it burns out, it's replaced, I have it in writing. The bulbs are able to output up to 100w though depending on the ballast settings so I doubt 55w will take too much out of it and if it does, I'll just get new ones for free.

I've only experienced color shift on low quality bulbs/ballasts.

Take your time, research, spend a lot of time on theretrofitsource and you'll learn a lot.

eatyoursandwich
07-13-12, 04:15 PM
where (and what type) can i get a kit to change all the interior lighting to LED (incl. the license plate lights, altogether 12 lights "DIY")...i also want to change the low beam and fog lights to HID's, whats the best brand to use?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=2005+Cadillac+STS

[QUOTE=one more thing, the light on the volume button located on the steering wheel is out, are those easy to replace (DIY)[/QUOTE]

Not sure on this, I bet it's relatively easy, just time consuming -- I just haven't done it myself.

eatyoursandwich
07-13-12, 04:16 PM

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=2005+Cadillac+STS

one more thing, the light on the volume button located on the steering wheel is out, are those easy to replace (DIY)

Not sure on this, I bet it's relatively easy, just time consuming -- I just haven't done it myself.

Ludacrisvp
07-13-12, 04:44 PM
Requires pulling the airbag and disassembly of the switch and de-soldering the old lamps and soldering on new ones. GM would call it a non serviceable part.

Mullah88
07-13-12, 09:53 PM
well yeah they went out on my steering wheels...and yesterday the mute button lights went out lol

thanks for the link eatyoursandwich

EChas3
07-14-12, 11:32 PM
where (and what type) can i get a kit to change all the interior lighting to LED?

I'd ask why, but little matter. Lights that gradually dim, do so by pulsing. You may not like the effect with LED's.

Mullah88
07-15-12, 12:18 AM
i just like the look of white rather than the bright yellow thats there now. if i dont like it, ill change it back, it'll be a DIY job