: New member from New Orleans with a few CTS-V questions.

bryanbag
07-12-12, 01:01 PM
I hope this is the right section. If not mod please move to correct section,

I'm Bryan from New Orleans, as of right now I have 2000 Ford Lightning with over 216,000 miles on the orginal motor, trans and rear end.
I have been thinking about selling the truck lately, but I just can't bring myself to put a for sale sign on it. Guess I really love my truck.

On one of the Lightning forums I belong to, there is a member that is looking to get back into a Lightning and is offering his 05 CTS-V with 116,000 miles on the clock for even trade. Now this has me really thinking about getting rid of my truck.
Now this would be my very first GM product, I still can't beleave i'm considering a GM. When I've been FORD fan for as long as I can remember.

While i'm still thinking about this trade, What are some things to look out for (possible problems) with these car. I'm looking for any and all info for engine, trans, rear end, electrical, etc.
Just trying to get as much info as I can before I offer my truck for trade. Now I will have the car brought to a stealership and have it completely gone through before I offering my truck for trade.

Bryan

rand49er
07-12-12, 03:37 PM
Besides the normal stuff (oil dripping from anywhere on the motor, differential or trans coated with fluid, grinding during shifting, clutch that won't grab in 6th gear, etc), take note of motor upon shut down. A rough shutdown may mean failed motor mounts. Listen for diff whining during slight acceleration at 45 mph ... a little is normal; excessive is not good. Do a carfax, inquire about normal maintenance, and kick a tire or two. At 116k miles, these cars are just wearing in.

Oh, yeah ... if all seems good ... DO IT!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-12-12, 04:26 PM
Hi Bryanbag,

As you're already seeing, this forum is full of helpful members, and I hope you continue to get the V feedback you're seeking! I'm very happy to see you're going to consult with a dealership, and if you'd like me to look into the build code information for you, just email me with the last eight of the VIN (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

bryanbag
07-13-12, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info, Keep it coming.

Cadillac Cust Svc- Thanks, If I decide to go through with the trade I will contact you with the VIN info.
Quick question. What is the average cost to have a vehical completely checked out by a dealer?

Bryan

Crash-Override
07-13-12, 01:21 PM
Hey Bryan, I cant speak to owning a lightning....however the V (while not without its own foibles) is worth every penny and then some. I bought my 05' with 58k on it a little over a year ago and now with 86k on it (yes I drive it a lot) I have had to do a few things.

1: Had to replace the swaybar end links....well should say have to as I am just waiting and going to go with an aftermarket setup when i do.

2: Had to have the factory diff replaced. Mine had the original from 05 and I have no doubt it would have went more than the 82k it did had I not been hot rodding it every day. However now with the Gen4 setup I could easily go another 50-80k before I need to worrk about upgrading. This was right at 1500 bucks for everything new.

3: My mounts are going but will be doing aftermarket soon.

Everything else has been AMAZING. Yes I have the odd squeak from the arm rest, and yes I have the rattle/clunk from the stock clutch and whatnot but those problems have zero impact on how much I love this car. Plus that and the aftermarket has finally gotten to the point of solving basically every "problem" that have come up over the years.

Lastly I will say this site and community was one of the deciding factors I went with the V vs a few others I was looking at.

-------------

Also I spent 21k on mine when i bought it from Harvey Caddy in Michigan (600 miles each way) for 2 reasons. 1: It was 100% stock w/ full history and 2: was the color I had searched for many months to find.

Scott2012
07-13-12, 03:58 PM
Jump ship! Go with the V!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-16-12, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info, Keep it coming.
Cadillac Cust Svc- Thanks, If I decide to go through with the trade I will contact you with the VIN info.
Quick question. What is the average cost to have a vehical completely checked out by a dealer?
Bryan

That price really depends from dealership to dealership. But if you'd like to email me your area code, I can locate all the dealers in your area! :)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CadzillaTN
07-16-12, 11:23 PM
interesting trade. You won't be able to launch this car like that ford but the minute you hit a nice twisty road you'll forget all about that.

Dealers don't know anything about this car. They certainly won't be checking the list of legacy V issues. Why pay for someone to kick the tires?

Read the faq sticky, talk extensively with the previous owner...That 'should' be enough if he's a stand up guy.

If you enjoy working on cars then the bumps in the road probably won't break you. The V can be reliable but it takes alot of patience,tlc, proactive maintenance, and respect. You just can't neglect it like a honda.

Would be nice to see a V in nol. I've been there a few times in mine but never saw another one..