: Can i add side mirrors with blind side alert?

rencrypted
07-12-12, 11:08 AM
Hi i have a 2008 sts that did not come with the blind side alert mirrors and wanted to know if i can just purchase these mirrors and they would work or do i need other parts like sensor, bumpers etc??

Ludacrisvp
07-12-12, 01:51 PM
There are sensors on the sides of the bumper that you would need to get as well. If you're lucky GM will already have it wired and it would be plug and play. You might need to have the BCM reprogrammed to enable it, there may also be a module somewhere else that needs to be installed. You may also need to have the Nav system to be able to turn it on after all said and done with reprogramming. This is because there is an option in the radio config to enable / disable side blind zone alert and lane departure warning (they are separate options).

sztolcaddy
07-12-12, 04:12 PM
I wonder how useful are these blind side alerts, why not use these small convex mirrors, I would not trust this
blind side alert sensor to change my lane without looking back or in the convex mirror.

1BadCadSTS
07-12-12, 04:26 PM
Gm is notorious for not prewiring.

dkozloski
07-12-12, 04:27 PM
If the car did not come with the option the wiring and connectors will not be there. My guess is that adding it will be like wiping your rear end with a hoop; there's no end to it.

RippyPartsDept
07-12-12, 05:06 PM
cost prohibitive... way way cheaper and easier to find a car that has all the options you want and sell/trade for it

and that's considering if it can even be done

ddalder
07-12-12, 11:14 PM
It's a fairly straight forward system but would involve a lot of work. Basically, there are two modules. One mounts on each side of the car attached to the inside of the rear bumper cover (you may need a new bumper cover to have the correct mounting). From what I recall of the schematics, the two modules are wired together and one of them talks on the GMLAN bus. Splicing into the data bus requires careful technique or it will cause all kinds of grief. The Instrument Panel Module (IPM) would require reconfiguration as this is where all options for the car are set (the Rear Integration Module is a backup for configuration information but does not require direct reprogramming). Unless you complete this step, the system will not work. As for the modules, these are similar to the radio in that the VIN is stored in (at least) one of the modules. I temporarily changed the VIN stored in my IPM (for another project) and while it was different from original, I was seeing a DTC for a VIN mismatch in the SBZA module. This suggests it may require dealer programming, or at least the fact you can't simply install a used module from a wrecker without reprogramming. As for the mirror glass, the indicators connect to the left and right front door modules. Two ways to accomplish this... purchase new complete mirrors or purchase only the glass and add the necessary wiring. You would require a Molex 3 cavity x 1 row MicroFit 3.0 female connector and terminals to connect to the back of the glass. I'd need to look up the terminals required to tie into the door modules. Lastly, the nav radio could probably be overlooked. The system defaults to 'On' with every ignition cycle so you would simply never be able to turn it off without the nav.

I'm quite confident it can be done (with access to the correct resources), but as Rippy says, not inexpensive and does require a fairly high skill level to do correctly.

R3TRO
07-12-12, 11:37 PM
Uhhh... Yeah, what he said! ^^^ :)

KRSTS
07-13-12, 09:42 AM
I use a small stick-on convex mirror. It hasn't failed me yet

eatyoursandwich
07-13-12, 01:25 PM
Gm is notorious for not prewiring.

This. Discovered this the hard way, but damn.

Throw enough money at it and I'm sure you can do it. Someone with a 2008 or so S70 on cardomain was able to do it himself for around $600, but it took him (a well rounded DIY guy) over 30 hours or work to finish -- spread out over a few weekends, of course.

I'd rather just turn my head 90 degrees to check my blind spot and save the money.

ddalder
07-14-12, 01:24 PM
The side blind zone alert is okay, but I don't trust it entirely. There are times when a short delay occurs before the indicator illuminates yet another vehicle is in a position that a lane change would result in a collision. I still always shoulder check. This may have been refined a little since my 2008 model year.

GM definitely doesn't pre-wire for options that aren't installed. I haven't seen this in a number of years. With improved manufacturing techniques and the cost of copper and connectors, I'd be surprised if any other manufacturers were still doing this either (although I've never actually researched this). It is also impractical if the connector was to attach to a module on the data bus. High speed bus connections (in particular) run from module to module and this would create a problem because of appropriate bus balance/termination requirements.

dkozloski
07-14-12, 03:23 PM
If you know how to properly adjust your mirrors there are no blind spots. There was an excellent thread on this fourm about that some months back. Basically you adjust the side mirrors so there is minimum overlap in the field of view of the rearview mirror.

I found this:To help with your side blind spots adjust your side mirrors (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) so that you can't see either of your rear quater panels and that should help you up for your rear blind spots. To many times we set up our mirrors to see our rear panels which actually enhances the rear quater blind spot. I got this info from Andy Pligram, CTS-V race driver and tried it. It help me out a lot. Just had to adjust an old habit I had when setting up my mirrors to what I want to see. just my .02, hope it helps.

RippyPartsDept
07-14-12, 08:19 PM
I was a actually a pretty recent thread in the last couple weeks.

dkozloski
07-14-12, 08:30 PM
I was a actually a pretty recent thread in the last couple weeks.The subject has come up several times. The thread I was referring to included a diagram and was started by an engineer.

RippyPartsDept
07-14-12, 09:31 PM
Yeah I posted a Link to an ehow article with a good info graphic.

But yeah it's fairly elementary.

malatu
07-17-12, 01:48 PM
My guess is that adding it will be like wiping your rear end with a hoop; there's no end to it.

I just spewed water on my monitor! Hilarious!