Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Radio turns on with vehicle start

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  next2pool 
#1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster....

I've only had my CTS for a few weeks, so I guess I'm still a noob. However, a lengthy search in these forums has not yielded a result, so here's the issue: Every time I start the car my radio turns on, always returning to whatever I had been listening to previously. Not a big deal unless my wife gets in to drive and I've been listening to something at a relatively high volume. It's annoying mostly because I can't figure it out. It does not matter if I turn off the radio before the previous shutdown. I've also tried turning off the radio and then saving my #1 setting on the door. It still turns on by itself every time.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2009 CTS4 DI Premium

#2 ·
Weird. I'm no help, sorry. Dealer issue? Hopefully someone will chime in with everything you need to know.

BTW, how's the weather in Grand Rapids or South Haven or wherever you may be?

#5 ·
If you're set to keyfob #1 and your wife is set to keyfob #2, the car will remember HER settings from #2 when she unlocks the car with #2. It keeps a completely different set of user preferences for each keyfob. Maybe this is where the confusion is coming from. If not, may be a dealer issue.

#6 ·
GM has so many problems with the computer code in the systems operating thier vehicles. Its like MS Windows, always some bug turns up. Where do these computer engineers learn to write all this bad code?

Here is something I read just today about 2013 Malibu. Customer gets a brand new car and its programmed wrong.

The radio may have been programmed with the wrong calibration during assembly, causing these poor sound quality conditions

#7 ·
I think this has been discussed before, so you might search the archives for posts from other people with this problem. It's caused caused by a software issue and I think the dealer can update your software and/or reset the whole system. (My 2009 doesn't do this -- knock on wood. If I turn the radio off before leaving the car, it's still off the next time I start it.) If your car is under warranty -- or if this just becomes too annoying -- I'd definitely take it to the dealer.

Z71: one reason there are so many problems with the second gen. CTS is that the infotainment system *does* run Windows. It's incredibly flaky compared to the first generation car, which ran linux. While it's not quite as fancy, I never have trouble with my first-gen. CTS-V setup. My assumption is that Cadillac switched to the new system, eliminating a lot of customization in the process, to save money. Post bankruptcy, they've switched back to their own design so they can innovate, not just pay Microsoft for the same features Ford and other manufacturers offer. The new Cadillac User Experience (CUE) system in the XTS and other future Cadillacs is back to running linux and is really pretty impressive. While that doesn't help current CTS owners, hopefully it translates into a return to more stable software, better voice recognition, new and unique features, etc.

#12 · (Edited)
That is quite likely your problem. You are quite back dated with your system. You can take it to the dealer describing your issue and they should find a software update fix(V2.5) or order an update(go with the 2011 update) and update Gracenotes too if desired to the 2011 level for the NAV setup. Dont order the current update - 2012 - that's the one with problems. The dealer fix will not update your old MAP. The V2.5 dealer fix came out a couple of years ago so things may have changed since then.
The initial Version 2 update came out in Nov. 2008 and was bad. It was updated in Jan 2009 to fix some bugs. I think that update fixed the radio on condition. Subsequently there was an update(V2.5) that the dealers would install that also corrected some known issues. But if they install that fix, it will undo any map updates you did. So given the age of your system, I would order the 2011 Map and software release from www.gmnavdisc.com.
A lot of this is from memory but you really need to update your system. Just stay clear of the 2012 release.

#14 ·
Just found a thread from back in early 2009 worth reading -

There is finally a fix for the 09 CTS radio problem. When you start your car the radio comes on whether you had it on or off when you shut the engine off and leave the car. The radio also came on when you received a phone call. There is finally a fix for all the problems. Your dealer has to order a new software disk which just came out. It is part number 20833568 and can be orded through GM. He should talk to the CTS brand manager. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to do the job. This is a total fix for this problem. You still have to have the radio on to use the Navagation System, but it will not come on by itself anymore when you start the car or receive a phone call. I have had the problem since AUGUST of 2008 AND NOW IT WORKS 100 %

I think this refers to the V2.5 update I mentioned. But at V2.5, your system is still old - current version is V4. Do map order from NAVDISC to get you up to speed.

#15 ·
Whoa. Read up on the new NAV disc. There are so many threads all over this site and none of them are good pertaining to the 2012 update. Just a word of caution.

#18 ·
tinman said:
Whew! Good call.
IF HELM got it right the second time around when most if us decided to order (including me), I would completely disagree with all of you BUT they didn't...took two discs and two weeks to resolve so I'd never recommend the 2012 update unless you're willing to go through hell and back to complete the update.

A reprogram of my radio completely resolved ALL of the radio/sound issues I was dealing with and is worth taking a trip to the dealer for!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.