: Start Button replacement Procedures

johnny-cash
07-10-12, 06:36 PM
Very easy to do. I got mine off gmpartsdirect and took me 5 mins to install. I bought an 07 start switch. Remove wood trim around radio and you look and you can see the switch.it is in a housing held in with little wide angle divits on the switch itself so i just pulled slightly on on the right side of the the dash cluster housing that it clips into AND pushed the button out. Undid the wire clip and reinstalled with a new on. no security issues, no sweat at all. easiest thing I have ever replaced on a cadillac.

johnny-cash
07-10-12, 06:37 PM
oh and i pulled the dash cluster right side 2 clips out just use firm pressure don't just yank it out

EChas3
07-10-12, 08:23 PM
There are different styles. My wife's 2007 has OEM and I have to hold it in to shut off her car.

Mine was replaced in 2009. It just takes a tap to start or stop the N*.

curtc
07-10-12, 10:09 PM
My 06 only takes a tap to start or stop

But does appear to have a crack forming down the middle.

johnny-cash
07-10-12, 10:13 PM
i bought the 07 model cause i was told it does not wear as much?

sztolcaddy
07-10-12, 10:42 PM
Mine in 05N* was replaced by the dealer and it also takes only a tap to start/stop.

Ludacrisvp
07-10-12, 11:56 PM
There are different styles. My wife's 2007 has OEM and I have to hold it in to shut off her car.

Mine was replaced in 2009. It just takes a tap to start or stop the N*.

My stock 08 is a tap to start and hold to shut off. Perhaps people were accidentally turning them off??

sztolcaddy
07-11-12, 08:56 AM
My stock 08 is a tap to start and hold to shut off. Perhaps people were accidentally turning them off??

Will STS turn off if I bump start button with my knee or hand while driving? I hope there is some design that prevents that.

1BadCadSTS
07-11-12, 03:05 PM
If you find a way to "bump" the switch I be thoroughly impressed.

curtc
07-11-12, 10:53 PM
If you find a way to "bump" the switch I be thoroughly impressed.

Totally thought about this when I got in the car after work...

Thought to myself "How in the world could you pull that off while driving?"

sztolcaddy
07-11-12, 11:05 PM
Totally thought about this when I got in the car after work...

Thought to myself "How in the world could you pull that off while driving?"
Dunno, maybe more probable while on cruise control, then you can move your leg around.

curtc
07-12-12, 01:15 AM
You'd have you to have some long, skinny legs...I'm 6'1", 170lb, and my knees would never get close to that button in any semi "normal" position while driving...Even if they did the steering wheel gets in the way...I could see maybe blindly reaching for a radio button and hitting the switch, but even that seems unlikely...but hey, anything's possible right? :)

CTBB
07-12-12, 07:05 PM
IIRC, the car must be in Park to turn it off. Try it yourself, hitting the OFF while it's in gear, and again, IIRC, it will instruct you to place the car in Park. I once parked, inadvertently left it in gear, hit OFF and left the car, only to find it still idling when I returned. :rolleyes:

Glenn

Ludacrisvp
07-12-12, 10:25 PM
Mine allows me to turn it off while driving.

CTBB
07-15-12, 02:54 PM
Mine allows me to turn it off while driving.

Now THAT is incremental "improvement" GM style! :tisk: Why would one wish to kill the motor while moving? Try to steer this beast without power steering! Doesn't sound right.

Glenn

MacMuse
07-15-12, 06:52 PM
Did we all forget about Toyota already? One stuck accelerator and I dang well better be able to shut it off while I gear.

EChas3
07-15-12, 10:49 PM
Runaway Step 1 is put the car in neutral. It's shameful how few drivers are taught the basics.

Ludacrisvp
07-16-12, 01:00 AM
Now THAT is incremental "improvement" GM style! :tisk: Why would one wish to kill the motor while moving? Try to steer this beast without power steering! Doesn't sound right.

Glenn

Every car I have ever driven allows you to turn it off regardless of what it is doing. Now starting on the other hand should and is only allowed in park or neutral.

Everyone should at some point drive their car with it off in a safe area to feel what it's like without power assist so that if it does fail while driving you will have some experience in how to deal with it.