: Door handle components

B1n2fra
07-10-12, 02:38 PM
What are the door handle components that can fail. I know of the micro switches and the handle(antenna), is there any other parts that can fail and prevent the door from opening?

eatyoursandwich
07-10-12, 02:52 PM
What are the door handle components that can fail. I know of the micro switches and the handle(antenna), is there any other parts that can fail and prevent the door from opening?

Can you be more specific?

Are you not able to open the door at all or just when the fob is in your pocket and you try to open it?

I had my driver door panel off a few weeks ago and from what I remember, both the opening and locking mechanism looked normal -- no hard to identify, over engineered parts.

B1n2fra
07-10-12, 03:17 PM
Replaced micro switches and worked fine now it appears to be the handle cause it does nothing when handle is pulled. I just wanted to know if it were any possible things that could fail that I don't know about. I could get a handle for $95 unpainted but matching the white diamond is a bitch...

dannyquest
07-10-12, 04:34 PM
B1n2fra, I replaced my driver door micro switches my self. the door wouldn't open from the out side, but all others would. the micro switch unit has two switches, I tested them and found that only one was bad. With the door antenna wire unpluged from the door handle it will still work. I think the range will be farther if it plug in. Make sure your linkages are connected and wire harness plugs are tight. Can you unlock by using the fob button. Danny

B1n2fra
07-11-12, 01:09 AM
B1n2fra, I replaced my driver door micro switches my self. the door wouldn't open from the out side, but all others would. the micro switch unit has two switches, I tested them and found that only one was bad. With the door antenna wire unpluged from the door handle it will still work. I think the range will be farther if it plug in. Make sure your linkages are connected and wire harness plugs are tight. Can you unlock by using the fob button. Danny

Can't open the door at all, unless I use the key. Handle pull does not unlock other doors does not do anything. Before it went completely out it would work intermittently. I would have to tap it or hit the handle and it would open, but now it does nothing. It started when I went through a car wash and sometimes when it got wet it would act up or vice versa start working.

dannyquest
07-11-12, 01:17 PM
B1n2fra, Will the door open by the inside handle, if it does the linkage is connected. Hate to tell you maybe the micro switch is defective. I tore apart the old switch, these mirco switchs are very small. Of the two switchs only one was bad. Danny

B1n2fra
07-11-12, 08:28 PM
Handle works fine. Changed micro switches a few months ago and now it stopped working again so I assumed it was the handle this time.

dannyquest
07-12-12, 07:31 AM
B1n2fra, Sound as if you need another mirco switch. Danny

EChas3
07-13-12, 09:36 PM
Spray it with contact cleaner (available at your local Radio Shack).

dannyquest
07-14-12, 04:31 PM
Tried using all type of sprays, untill it ran out the bottom of door. didn't work for me. After I replaced the switch, I tore it apart. I don't think any thing you can spray will fix it. Danny

EChas3
07-14-12, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I thought this was the initial onset of symptoms. Contact cleaner can work on dirty switches.

WD-40 & other sprays really do more harm than good. They may offer temporary improvement but soon more dirt collects (even faster.)

Sounds like you have some work ahead. There's a link in the Sticky Thread that may help. Good luck!

B1n2fra
07-14-12, 07:04 PM
Contact cleaner did not work. Should these switches fail this often. I replaced them in january.

EChas3
07-14-12, 11:45 PM
We've got a 2006 with 80k & a 2007 with 60k that are still fine. We do garage our cars.

Do you live near salt water?

LiquidTrader
07-15-12, 09:33 AM
Mine won't open either. Anyone know how much these micro chips are. How hard to replace

dannyquest
07-15-12, 12:36 PM
I paid about $85. thur Rippy's Automotive. It had taken me about 1.5 hr. Now that I have done it I can cut it in half. I don't think these micro switches are made that well cause I tore it apart. Danny

dannyquest
07-15-12, 12:39 PM
I also garage my 06 STS at home & at work and the driver side switch went bad.

B1n2fra
07-15-12, 01:00 PM
I garage my car everyday and I live in Chicago, no salt water here. I don't think the switches should fail that frequently. So all the handle does is receive the signal from the remote to unlatch the door if it's it lock mode, right. And if the handle antenna did not work the door would still open if I hit the unlock button then pull the handle? Correct? Trying to figure this out.

dannyquest
07-15-12, 05:24 PM
Let me put it this way,If one of the driver door micro switch is bad, pulling the handle or the remote button won't unlatch the door. You can test the switches with a volt meter. Remove the door panel, Look inside to the left. There a plug connection that going to the back side of door handle. Unplug and test with volt meter at the same time pulling on door handle. this will tell if your micro switches are bad. Danny

B1n2fra
07-16-12, 01:42 AM
Let me put it this way,If one of the driver door micro switch is bad, pulling the handle or the remote button won't unlatch the door. You can test the switches with a volt meter. Remove the door panel, Look inside to the left. There a plug connection that going to the back side of door handle. Unplug and test with volt meter at the same time pulling on door handle. this will tell if your micro switches are bad. Danny

So like I said the handle only picks up the signal from the remote?

dannyquest
07-16-12, 11:34 AM
Yep,that right Danny