: Run flat tires or no?

caseyschier
07-10-12, 12:21 PM
It's time for me to get new rear tires and being that this is the first time I've needed to replace them on my V, I was wondering what you guys think about buying the run flats. I know the Vs don't come with a spare tire and I don't have a spare wheel to bring around with me, so do y'all think it is worth the extra money for the run flats just in case I am ever to need them?

PISNUOFF
07-10-12, 01:18 PM
It is cheaper to buy a spare wheel and tire than to buy the crappy runflats.

Junior1
07-10-12, 01:33 PM
I replaced them with PS2's and then bought a green slime kit for the trunk...

alradco
07-10-12, 02:42 PM
Ditch the run flats and don't look back, unless you live in an area where you don't have cell service or are very remote.

etcts-v
07-10-12, 05:20 PM
I ditched mine and am much happier with the ride and handling!

darkman
07-10-12, 05:26 PM
I drive on runflats because I drive a lot on Houston freeways. If you have a flat on a Houston freeway, stopping to change a tire or even to throw in a can of flatfix is risky business. If the drunks, texters, or cell phone users don't run over you the hijackers will leave you for dead. While runflat tires may not be suitable for track use the additional sidewall stiffness does make for a crisp turn-in.

kciaccio
07-10-12, 11:55 PM
I drive on runflats because I drive a lot on Houston freeways. If you have a flat on a Houston freeway, stopping to change a tire or even to throw in a can of flatfix is risky business. If the drunks, texters, or cell phone users don't run over you the hijackers will leave you for dead. While runflat tires may not be suitable for track use the additional sidewall stiffness does make for a crisp turn-in.

I live in Houston and Miami was ten times worse. If you are that scared to change your in Houston just wait for steer and clear to take you off the hivhway for free, then change it. I bought a spare wheel and tire from a member on here no issues.

caseyschier
07-11-12, 01:11 PM
Looks like the consensus is to ditch the run flats. I'd like to get a spare wheel to lug around with me, so does anyone know of any members selling one that I could buy? I also had the idea of maybe cutting out that divider in the spare tire tub in the back. I know the spare tire comes in there in the normal CTS. Do you guys think cutting that out and then welding in a piece to create a full tub to keep the spare wheel in would be worth a shot? I know this would be a lot of extra weight to carry around, but if it wouldn't mess with the car aerodynamically or whatever, I thought it'd be a neat fix.

JazMiller
07-11-12, 01:22 PM
Does the stock wheel with a stock 45/245/r18 tire fit in the well if you pull the tub liner? Or do we need to put a narrower tire on to make it fit? Or do we need a <8" wide wheel and narrower tire to make a spare in the back?

I'm on stocks all around, not run-flats, and I run no spare. But for the occasional highway run I'd like to have a spare in the trunk. Several stretches with no coverage, and sometimes I'm a hundred miles from a payphone.

JDB
07-11-12, 08:13 PM
How often have you actually had a flat?

Maybe I'll have one tomorrow but in millions of miles that I've driven, never needed a spare.

kciaccio
07-11-12, 10:54 PM
I took out the plastic tub and put my full size tire in there with a bottle jack from harbor freight tools and breaker bar with the socket that fits the lugs. Tested to make sure I could change a tire.

thebigjimsho
07-12-12, 12:48 AM
In the millions of miles that I've driven, I've needed a spare.

And yes, a stock wheel/tire will fit in the tub. Just make sure to not have the bottom as bare metal and put the spare in spoke side down. The cover will fit over it...

lollygagger8
07-12-12, 08:55 AM
Run Flats are doo doo.

mstrjon32
07-12-12, 11:50 AM
I have a CTS jack kit and a spare stock wheel in mine, although you may never need it, it's nice insurance to have if you were to get a flat at 3 AM in the middle of nowhere...

caseyschier
07-12-12, 02:47 PM
Where do you keep the spare stock wheel?

Skidmarcx
07-12-12, 03:26 PM
Ditch the run flats and buy a used wheel and tire... Much cheaper and more reassuring... If anything the added weight is better for traction

thebigjimsho
07-12-12, 10:14 PM
Where do you keep the spare stock wheel?See post #12...

caseyschier
07-13-12, 12:19 AM
Ahh sorry I missed that, thanks.

thebigjimsho
07-13-12, 08:01 AM
No prob, mah man...