: ... A little hotter than normal...

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-09-12, 11:40 PM
when I'm in stop and go traffic and in the heat of the day(I live in Fl) I notice my temp gauge climbs to just over the middle line, when I get back up to speed again it drops back down to just below the middle line which is where it's normally at...any thoughts? Is this normal or not? The fan is working so I'm guessing/hoping it's only a sticking thermostat...it's a 6 cyl

curtc
07-10-12, 12:26 AM
Is your A/C on? either way, perfectly normal...

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-10-12, 08:25 AM
Yes ac is on but also I notice that the ac seems to be affected by the engine temp rise...once the car is moving again the ac seems to get a little cooler too

C&C
07-10-12, 12:17 PM
Probably normal; I would benchmark your temperature reading (in various conditions) and just periodically check that things haven't deteriorated (over time). I had an '06 and currently an '11 and the temperature has been rock-steady at about one needle width below half (all conditions, so far).

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-10-12, 06:16 PM
Ty cc and curt....yeah that's exactly where mine usually is(1 needle width below middle line) but like I was explaining in the original post it goes up to 1 needle width above the middle line...this is my 1st summer with a Cadillac so I was just concerned about it :)

orange57
07-11-12, 02:35 AM
does the car have two fans? Are they both working? If there are two fans, one is for the radiator, the other is meant to help pull air over the condenser for the AC. If one isn't working it can impact both temperatures of the engine and the AC.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-11-12, 09:03 PM
Orange....I think you nailed it...I have 2 fans but only 1 seems to work....I let the car idle until the fan came on, I let it idle until the fan stopped running, then while still in idle I turned the ac on thinking that might engage the the 2nd fan but only the original working fan came back on, turned ac off and few seconds later that fan stopped, went through that process a couple more times and never seen the second fan turn....so now what? Bad fan motor/switch?

curtc
07-11-12, 10:50 PM
There should be a module that controls that fan, check that first. Not sure where it is, still learning my way around this beast.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-11-12, 11:16 PM
I was thinking of going in the other direction...start with the fan motor lol but yeah I hear you it seems everyday is something new to learn about this car curtc

willysmooo
07-13-12, 02:34 PM
Ya know, my car came with the performace cooling and I always thought it was B.S. but honestly my car has 113k on it, and it doesnt burn one single drop of oil between oil changes(10k miles sometimes) and the temp guage is always below th middle and I really dont think I have ever heard my fans come on once, no matter how hot it is and how much I use the AC....its pretty sweet how well the system keeps the engine right....not one drop of oil, it is always right on the 8 on the dipstick, always. I also did the DEXCOOL at 100k at my local oil change place and that actually made the temp gauge go up a tiny, tiny bit from where it used to be, but it never budges, right below the halfway mark on the temp guage...if you havent changed out the DEXCOOL, you should, especally living in Florida. We have had a super hot summer so far, and all I keep sayin to myself is, if I lived in Florida or Arizona or somewhere warm, I feel like it just kills a cars engine and rubber parts, I got my coolant changed for 57 bucks, and that was a complete machine flush, took about 30 minutes....you should probably do it regardless....

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-13-12, 03:13 PM
Ok thanks willy....*update*....it was a blown "low speed" fuse

EChas3
07-14-12, 09:21 PM
IMHO, Dexcool should be changed at 100,000 miles, after 5 years or when the cooling system is opened (beyond the overflow canister). Mine was changed when the water pump was changed under CPO warranty at about 65,000 miles.

Willy's right. V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE is great. We had a member from the Mid-East and I think he had an even more advanced cooling system option. He regularly experienced daytime temperatures in excess of 120 F. I wonder what he's driving now?

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-21-12, 01:28 AM
Thanks e

EChas3
07-21-12, 05:11 PM
Not long ago a member tested the STS temperature gage and found that while not exactly linear, it is a real temperature gage and not an analog idiot light like those found in some cars. If the cars temperature pattern changes, it is a bit unusual.

Watch closer for leaks or the smell of coolent after a long drive. Some water pumps do fail prematurely.

curtc
07-21-12, 05:15 PM
:yeah: during a recent inspection my WP was found to be leaking, replaced at 75k.

DarkMingBlueSTS
07-21-12, 11:04 PM
It was only the low speed fan fuse, temp has been fine for a couple weeks now :)