: How To Remove Heater Core Hoses ? - 1997 Deville

andyoww
07-08-12, 11:50 AM
97 deville.
Pulling the N* out the top.

Two things left...
The hoses that connect to the heater core and crossover tubes (near the passenger side strut tower).

As many of you are aware, these don't move unless you can twist them first to break them loose.

I can't get my fat little hands in there far enough to get any kind of leverage.

What can I use to break these free?
I tried wrapping a piece of rope around it a couple times, but that hasn't worked (yet).

Thanks in advance!

Ranger
07-08-12, 11:57 AM
If all else fails, cut them and replace them later.

rodnok01
07-08-12, 12:46 PM
Do you have a hose screwdriver? It's a curved screwdriver witha sharp end just for breaking rad hoses loose. I'm with ranger though, I would prob cut them, since they are not to expensive.

andyoww
07-08-12, 12:59 PM
I don't have one.
Sounds like something I should keep my eye out for at the liquidators, though...

I thought about cutting them, but figured they would be $60 a piece if I did.

The end on the firewall doesn't look much easier to get off.

rodnok01
07-08-12, 01:50 PM
You can get them(hose tool) at Harbor freight for 3-4 bucks, prob not much more at auto parts store. When I looked up the hoses one was available locally for maybe 7-8 bucks and the others were 10-15 but had to order(Rockauto is your friend)

andyoww
07-08-12, 03:37 PM
That's not too bad.

I was able to find what I think is an interior trim screwdriver at dad's.

I was able to pry on them get then loose.

Thanks!

Now to pull this thing out.
I think I'll need a bigger pry bar & hammer...

Ranger
07-08-12, 06:30 PM
I thought about cutting them, but figured they would be $60 a piece if I did.

Holy Shit Batman! Maybe we're not talking about the same hose. Might try any long, slim, small bladed screwdriver.

andyoww
07-08-12, 11:03 PM
No, we're talking about the same ones.

I see they're $17ea from Autozone, I'm sure RockAuto is less.

I was just saying that if I said to myself "Hey, those hoses HAVE to be very cheap, I'll just cut them & buy new ones!", the new ones would've then cost $60ea.
That's my luck.

The reason they are indeed that inexpensive is because I was able to break them loose.

Ranger
07-09-12, 12:16 PM
Ahh, I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw. :bang2: