: Remote Start issue gremlin

flyingfortress1983
07-08-12, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone

I have been having a remote start issue with my 2008 Escalade EXT. On July 4th I drove my car like normal to my local Walmart. When I finished and headed out I tried to use my remote start and all I hear is a click with the engine not even attempted to turn over. So I get in the car and tried using the car to no avail. Everything inside the vehicle (i.e. nav, radio, headlights, gauges sweep, windows go up and down like normal) are working like normal. I tried also to get a jump start but it didn't make a difference. So I get it towed to my in-laws house because everything was closed. The next day I get it towed to Williamson Cadillac (local Cadillac dealership) and apparently when they got it off the truck the service advisor "supposedly" wiggled the positive battery cable and the vehicle started up and he did this five or six times with no issue. So he recommended that I change the positive battery cable because they have a track record of reading high resistance and as such can cause this issue and also my car is out of bumper to bumper warranty. So they changed the cable and I picked my car running. I go to the store and leave and the car starts without a problem. When I pack up the car again to take some stuff home from my in-laws home I attempt to remote start again and the same problem occurs again and so I try the key again with the same click with no turning over of the engine. Mind you this was only maybe 2 hours after I had left the dealer. So they tow they car back to the dealer but the cable wiggle doesn't work this time. So some more troubleshooting the next day at the dealer and they then tell me that the starter is bad luckily I have an extended warranty and so they replaced the starter with no cost to me. The car starts with key normally but it still does not like the remote start and still has the click. Does anyone have any idea what this could be??? I am running out of options and my local stealership seems to have a replace components mentality to my car.

hcvone
07-08-12, 04:59 PM
Does you truck have the stock Delco battery? Replace it and your problems maybe gone, have had too many issue with Delco batteries through the years that went away when I got rid the the Delco batterys :)

flyingfortress1983
07-08-12, 07:15 PM
They already replaced the battery, positive battery cable, and starter and still happening with the remote start but normal with the key

dkozloski
07-08-12, 07:51 PM
Clear trouble codes and try the remote start again.

flyingfortress1983
07-09-12, 06:46 AM
Ok thanks. Actually I used the remote start yesterday and it worked but my fear is that it is intermittent and it may leave me stranded somewhere because of that.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-09-12, 11:30 AM
flyingfortress, I'm glad to see that your EXT is operating nicely at the moment, but please don't hesitate to contact me anytime via email at Katie_Lucill@gmexpert.com for further assistance. I'm always happy to follow-up with dealers or research your vehicle for recalls, etc.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

99ssconv
07-11-12, 02:15 PM
so they just put a cable on for the hell of it? A good tech would have done a voltage drop across the positive cable and negative cable then tell you which one was bad if any. The next time it acts up on you take a voltmeter and check your battery voltage at the battery directly. Then check it from the battery positive post to the engine block, the readings should be within .5 volts or less or one another. If you dont have a meter connect the jumper cable at the positive post and the negative at the engine block. I've seen way more negative cables cause starting issues than positive cables due to high resistance.

flyingfortress1983
07-11-12, 03:11 PM
Yep, they said they checked the cable but after the work was done that I had asked if I could see and measure the cable myself with a known good one that they had in their parts stock I was told that the cable had already been thrown away and then I knew something was up, but at that point what can you do. He also told me that they have to change those pesky battery cables in some Escalades only 6 months old I explained to him that it seemed more like a quality control problem not just a latent failure. The next day after I had the towed the same day after I received it the service advisor told me that his tech was breaking his head with the problem and that they were going to throw a starter at the problem and see what happens. I just can't believe that dealerships send technician's to GM's training and instead of troubleshooting they are throwing parts at problems instead of using the right tools for the job.

99ssconv
07-11-12, 08:30 PM
Yep, they said they checked the cable but after the work was done that I had asked if I could see and measure the cable myself with a known good one that they had in their parts stock I was told that the cable had already been thrown away and then I knew something was up, but at that point what can you do. He also told me that they have to change those pesky battery cables in some Escalades only 6 months old I explained to him that it seemed more like a quality control problem not just a latent failure. The next day after I had the towed the same day after I received it the service advisor told me that his tech was breaking his head with the problem and that they were going to throw a starter at the problem and see what happens. I just can't believe that dealerships send technician's to GM's training and instead of troubleshooting they are throwing parts at problems instead of using the right tools for the job.
You would have to apply a large load of current to the cable to measure the voltage drop. Checking it out of the vehicle with an ohm meter wouldn't tell you anything

mikemjohnson
07-11-12, 08:42 PM
do you have intermittent CELs?

flyingfortress1983
07-12-12, 07:51 AM
its hard to tell because you always get a CEL when the car is running when the key is passed

mikemjohnson
07-12-12, 09:28 AM
not sure what you mean by that but just so you know if the vehicle has an active or 'present' CEL, remote start will not work on the vehicle. so basically if you start the truck the old fashioned way with the key and the CEL stays on, the remote start will not work.

flyingfortress1983
07-12-12, 01:13 PM
Yes you are correct and I do understand that an active CEL would not let the vehicle remote start but what I am saying is that if you just pass the key without starting the vehicle your CEL light is on. After I attempt to start the vehicle and it clicks. The clock on the nav resets which leads to believe that there will ever be an active CEL when this happens. I just very difficult to explain because the problem is so intermittent. Found a TSB conveying some issues where the wiring coming from the steering column can get chafed or cut by the parking brake assembly or the normal brake pedal. Performed an inspection of the affected areas but found no problem. Also found another TSB stating that if the terminating resistor on the GMLAN is bad that it can also cause this issue but it sound like this terminating resistor is underneath the car either after the Electronic Brake COntrol Module or the Electronic Suspension Module, and both are under the vehicle in relatively inaccessible areas exposed to the elements. SO I dont know what to think?

99ssconv
07-12-12, 07:01 PM
like I said earlier, perform a voltage drop test on the negative battery cable. if your clock is resetting you are losing battery voltage!!

flyingfortress1983
07-16-12, 01:20 PM
performed a voltage test on the negative side of the battery to an engine ground point and got 1.5 ohms, which i figured is definitely good. I think I am going to remove the BCM in the knee bolster to verify that all the connectors are good and I am not getting an intermittent signal issue.

99ssconv
07-28-12, 08:23 AM
performed a voltage test on the negative side of the battery to an engine ground point and got 1.5 ohms, which i figured is definitely good. I think I am going to remove the BCM in the knee bolster to verify that all the connectors are good and I am not getting an intermittent signal issue.

You don't test for resistance. You measure voltage that why it's called a voltage drop test which is a result of excessive resistance

flyingfortress1983
07-30-12, 11:13 AM
Sorry 99ssconv had a brain fart when I went out to the car that day. The no start issue happened to me again and I pulled a P0513 "Incorrect Immobilizer Key" code. Did a google search on the code ID and escalade behind it and it seems that a some GM hybrid SUV and truck owners have experienced the same issue since their engines are constantly shutting off and off with the hybrid modes. However, in my search I found the Delco battery seems to be the weak link. My best bet is that I should replace that cheap a$$ delco battery and also add an additonal battery.