: Rare treat tonight

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 12:42 AM
I have some dealings with a guy who I see about once a week. He is employed by a famous race car driver. From time to time he has to transport some cars to museums and events. When I got to his place tonight, he was "babysitting" this...

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/IMG00246-20120706-2220.jpg

He told me it was all original... paint, chrome everything. 40k mi. Don't see these every day!

Aztec ETC ECS
07-07-12, 01:06 AM
You were in the presence of what could be a $1M+ car. Hemi?

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 01:47 AM
Most were 440s, but I will have to ask next time I see him if it was a hemi. I was amazed at how cheap the chrome looked and how sloppy the paint was... if it was indeed all original. He said they were slapped together and it looked it on the cosmetics. Paint had runs just behind the rear bumper and the chrome was very thin. Maybe he was mistaken, but I would think he would know since he is pretty much in charge of all the museum cars.

LOL... I guess the license plate gives away who owns it. The guy who is the reason these cars were built.

talismandave
07-07-12, 01:47 AM
Judging by the plate I think a mil would be conservative. Very cool to be able to see that.

MrHolland
07-07-12, 02:18 AM
I'm surprised it's on what appears to be a roll-back and not IN a trailer. Very cool though.

brandondeleo
07-07-12, 03:46 AM
*changing pants now*

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 10:35 AM
I'm surprised it's on what appears to be a roll-back and not IN a trailer. Very cool though.

You'd be surprised how little reverence is given to a lot of things of his that some people would worship. I guess to him it's just stuff. A few months ago he showed me a custom made Les Paul guitar with a Richard Petty theme that was presented to Richard himself... It was either a prototype or 1 of 43 built... but while I was holding it I asked him what it was worth... He said, "about $20,000". Let's just say that after hearing that, I quickly and gently handed it back to him. LOL.

talismandave
07-07-12, 10:51 AM
In a way I sort of "get" that attitude toward things. I have collected different items of value over the years, stamps, coins, silver, and gold. I found that I enjoyed collecting them, but then found possessing them gave me little joy. I sold all eventually except things of sentimental value.
The last thing I collected was watches. I have some that are quite expensive that I regularly wear to work at the hardware store. I often get asked why take a chance on damaging them. I do because that is the the chance I take to enjoy them. I finally found something that I can enjoy and not just have sitting in a safe deposit box. I also loan them to friends for special events and while they are extremely worried about it I never am.
If I ever own something too valuable to use as it is intended, I probably shouldn't own it in the first place.

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 10:57 AM
It's all about the hunt! "Collecting", as in "searching for" is often more enjoyable than actually owning what you are collecting. I think most people are like that. I am thankful to have figured that out early in life. I collected cars, but only owned them for a few months at a time, then would sell them to buy something else. My experience was much richer because of that. That approach allowed me to own and drive many, many different cars and have a much more diverse experience.

Rolex
07-07-12, 11:28 AM
:wow: that thing would be worth a small fortune. Thanks for sharing. :)

What's that fapping noise?

thebigjimsho
07-07-12, 02:11 PM
Your ceiling fan.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-12, 11:29 PM
With the comment regarding paint & build quality issues on early '70s Mopars.... That is not abnormal at all...

CadillacLuke24
07-08-12, 03:27 AM
In a way I sort of "get" that attitude toward things. I have collected different items of value over the years, stamps, coins, silver, and gold. I found that I enjoyed collecting them, but then found possessing them gave me little joy. I sold all eventually except things of sentimental value.
The last thing I collected was watches. I have some that are quite expensive that I regularly wear to work at the hardware store. I often get asked why take a chance on damaging them. I do because that is the the chance I take to enjoy them. I finally found something that I can enjoy and not just have sitting in a safe deposit box. I also loan them to friends for special events and while they are extremely worried about it I never am.
If I ever own something too valuable to use as it is intended, I probably shouldn't own it in the first place.

I take the same approach to my Cadillac. I bought the damn car to enjoy her. If something happens, well, that's life. Fix it and let the enjoying continue!

ShapeShifter
07-08-12, 03:33 AM
You guys are right about the build quality for the Plymouth Winged Cars. According to an episode on Velocity, many short cuts were made in a rush to get the number of production cars made to meet NASCAR's quota for that upcoming season.

Supposedly, the pressure and short timeframe was really due to King Richard's demand. He had switched to Ford in 1969 due to the success of their Talladegas cars. So when the Plymouth Reps came courting and asked Petty what would it take to get him back, his answer was, "A Winged Car!". The Dodge was out of the question, so Plymouth cut corners and rushed modified Superbird cars into production. Those backward scoops on top of the front fender are really there to hide where they were cut to give the tires clearance after lowering the car. Vinyl was added to the roof as a quick fix to cover the weld seams for its extension. The discrepancies are minor considering their legendary status.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-12, 03:43 AM
Between the Charger Daytona & the Superbird....oh that's a tough choice. I prefer the Charger to the Roadrunner, but I think the Superbird was a better packaged car than the Daytona.....

ShapeShifter
07-08-12, 03:55 AM
The thing was, there was no way Chrysler was going to allow them to place a Plymouth moniker on a Dodge product.

Koooop
07-09-12, 12:22 AM
I drove one of those quite a bit... Holy smokes it was quick! Corners and stop signs are the enemy. It was a very entertaining car to drive, an absolute hoot.

The car was Lemon Twist, 440, 6 pack, 4spd, 4.56 rear with about 50k on it. All stock and hilarious.

A bunch of Yellow cars from the 70's, or there about. Corvette, Honda, Superbird and a LUV.

CadillacLuke24
07-09-12, 04:27 AM
Those cars are pretty neat, even if they were for-now-it assembled.

Petty is no doubt one of the legends, but I think he gets a little too much credit, given a lot of his wins were racked up during 70-some race seasons.

Faded Crest
07-10-12, 12:55 AM
Petty is no doubt one of the legends, but I think he gets a little too much credit, given a lot of his wins were racked up during 70-some race seasons.

I'll send that message along, Luke. :lol:

CadillacLuke24
07-10-12, 01:59 AM
You do that :D