: 2008 STS Ittermittenly won't shift out of park

JDC5886
07-06-12, 04:40 PM
I have a 2008 STS 3.6 liter that won't shift out of park. This does not happen all of the time, but is increasing in frequency. Took it to dealer and they could not locate the issue. Can anyone help?

Ludacrisvp
07-06-12, 05:04 PM
The 2004 srx had a recall for that issue. The dealer should know about it.

JDC5886
07-06-12, 05:17 PM
Mine won't shift out of park, even when the brake pedal is depressed. It looks like SRX 04 recall was due to shifting out of park, when the brake pedal is not depressed. Dealer said they could replace shifter ($560), but they would not guarantee that the problem would be resolved.

Ludacrisvp
07-06-12, 08:24 PM
Pulled this out of the Service manual ... sure looks like the dealer could do some testing and find out what really needs replacing based on what is in the service manual.
Might want to take it to a Cadillac dealer if you are just at a standard GM dealer. Otherwise if already at a Cadillac dealer, I would consider finding a new one.

Might want to read this a few times but to me it looks like the 2 possible things that would need to be replaced on the STS would be either the "The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid" or "The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)" The shifter does NOT look like it is something that needs to be replaced, that is unless the lock control solenoid is part of that assembly.

Maybe something will be helpful, maybe not.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation

The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:
The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid
The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)
The transmission control module (TCM)
With the ignition in the ON position, battery positive voltage is supplied to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid located within the shift lever assembly. The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid receives a ground from the RCDLR. The RCDLR receives input thought data communications from the TCM indicating transmission gear position and brake pedal position. With the shift lever in the PARK position the internal park switch of the shift lever assembly closes allowing current to flow to the RCDLR. When the RCDLR receives a data communication that the brake pedal is depressed and the transmission is in the PARK position the RCDLR supplies a ground the shift lock control solenoid control circuit. This energizes the solenoid and allows the shift lever to be moved out of the PARK position. With the shift lever out of the PARK position the internal park switch in the shift lever assemble opens, this de-energies the shift lock control solenoid.

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Shift Interlock Solenoid Replace
Shift Interlock Actuator B 1.5 2.1

Symptoms - Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control

Important: The following steps must be completed before using the symptom tables.
1. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) before using the Symptom Tables in order to verify that all of the following are true:
There are no DTCs set.
The control modules can communicate via the serial data link.
2. Review the system operation in order to familiarize yourself with the system functions. Refer to Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation (See: Description and Operation) .
Visual/Physical Inspection
Inspect for aftermarket devices which could affect the operation of the automatic transmission shift lock control. Refer to Checking Aftermarket Accessories (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics) .
Inspect the easily accessible or visible system components for obvious damage or conditions which could cause the symptom.
Intermittent

Faulty electrical connections or wiring may be the cause of intermittent conditions. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics) .

Symptom List

Refer to a symptom diagnostic procedure from the following list in order to diagnose the symptom:

Transmission Control Lever Malfunction (See: Transmission Control Lever Malfunction)

Transmission Control Lever Malfunction

Diagnostic Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit/System Description

The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) controls the automatic transmission shift lock solenoid by providing a ground for the solenoid. The RCDLR utilizes a smart driver to control the ground to the automatic transmission shift lock solenoid. The smart driver monitors the voltage and current flow of the control circuit.

Circuit Testing (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Connector Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Wiring Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning) for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
1. Ignition ON, Clear the DTC. Observe the scan tool RCDLR Shift Lock Solenoid Command parameter. The parameter should change from UNLOCK to LOCK when the brake pedal is depressed and released.
If the parameter did not change, refer to Stop Lamps Malfunction (See: Lighting and Horns\Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Stop Lamps Malfunction) .

2. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool RCDLR Shift Lock Solenoid State parameter. The parameter should change from UNLOCK to LOCK OFF when the brake pedal is depressed and released.
If the parameter does not change, replace the RCDLR.
Circuit/System Testing
1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the shift lock control solenoid.
2. Ignition ON, verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal E and ground.
If the test lamp does not illuminate , test the B+ circuit for a short to ground or open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the shift lock control solenoid.
3. Install a test lamp between the B+ circuit terminal E and control circuit terminal K.
4. Ignition ON, depress and release the brake pedal several times. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF as commanded.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the RCDLR.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance or short to voltage. If the circuit test normal, replace the RCDLR.
5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the shift lock control solenoid.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection\Verification Tests) after completing the diagnostic procedure.
Transmission Control Replacement (See: Shifter A/T\Service and Repair\Transmission Control Replacement)
Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning) for RCDLR replacement, setup, and programming

Bulletin No.: 07-07-30-032D
Date: March 07, 2011
Subject: Shifter Binds, Ignition Key Sticks,"Shift to Park" Message Displayed On Driver Information Center (DIC), Dead Battery (Adjust Shift Linkage)
Models:
2006-2011 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2007-2009 Cadillac SRX, STS-V
2007-2011 Cadillac STS
2009-2011 Cadillac CTS-V
2010-2011 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon
Equipped with Automatic Transmission
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-07-30-032C (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).
Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:
- The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or park.
- The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder.
- The "Shift to Park" message is constantly displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC) when the shifter is in the "Park" position.
- A dead battery that follows after parking the vehicle for an extended period of time (less than 24 hours). This vehicle may have been left in accessory mode with the "Shift to Park" message displayed.
- The shifter binds when moving the lever from Drive to Manual mode.
Cause
This condition may be caused by the shift linkage adjustment, a slow Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) mechanism or a Park Confirmation micro-switch that is not closed.
Correction
Adjust the automatic shift linkage following the steps below.
1. Verify the customer's concern.
2. Position the shift lever into the PARK position.
3. Check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If any codes are set, diagnose the DTCs first using SI.
4. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
5. Adjust the automatic shift control linkage. Refer to Shift Control Linkage Adjustment in SI.
6. Lower the vehicle.
Tip
If the "Shift to Park" message is displayed, try wiggling or "bumping" the shifter while in the PARK position. If the message goes out, then repeat the adjustment. This is typically an indicator that the shift linkage is biased rearward. If the initial condition was Drive to Tap Mode binding, then the shifter linkage was initially biased forward.
7. Determine if the condition has been corrected. If the condition still exists, the automatic transmission shift control may need to be replaced. Refer to Automatic Transmission Control Replacement in SI.
Warranty Information (2006-2009 Model Year Vehicles)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use: labor code K5244

JDC5886
07-06-12, 10:05 PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer. I did take the car to a General GM dealer. I have a question that maybe you can answer. The "car stuck in park" situation starting intermittently happening about a week after I took car to GM dealer to repair my driver's door. The door would not unlock, when I approached from outside. Door also would not lock or unlock using any of the inside electronic lock/unlock switches. Only way door would open is to pull inside driver's door handle or if I used emergency key inside the FOB from outside car. GM dealer replaced door lock assembly ($540). Do you think this cloud be related to my door issue or maybe even a result of the work done by GM dealer? Or is it just a coincidence?

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-06-12, 10:31 PM
JDC5886, if you'd like me to follow-up with your dealer and begin an official service request/case regarding your concerns, please contact me anytime! I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm also happy to double check to see if your specific vehicle is indeed under the recall mentioned above.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Ludacrisvp
07-06-12, 10:58 PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer. I did take the car to a General GM dealer. I have a question that maybe you can answer. The "car stuck in park" situation starting intermittently happening about a week after I took car to GM dealer to repair my driver's door. The door would not unlock, when I approached from outside. Door also would not lock or unlock using any of the inside electronic lock/unlock switches. Only way door would open is to pull inside driver's door handle or if I used emergency key inside the FOB from outside car. GM dealer replaced door lock assembly ($540). Do you think this cloud be related to my door issue or maybe even a result of the work done by GM dealer? Or is it just a coincidence?

Sounds like it could be possible since the remote control door lock system is part of the shift interlock setup. Perhaps the module in the door wasn't fully plugged in or has a loose connection and that's why it's intermittent. Next time it happens I wonder if a good door slam would change anything. If it does that would really point me to a poor connection.

JDC5886
07-07-12, 12:53 AM
Thanks again for all the help and advice! The car will not shift out of park now at all. I have been trying periodically all day. I took your advise and slammed the door a few times, but it still
won' t shift.

Guess I'll try again in the morning, but I will also contact Lisa from Customer Service, so she can check on my vehicle's recall status.

One thing I did notice, When I enter the car with my wife's key FOB, the car still thinks it's me. Any thoughts?

JDC5886
07-07-12, 12:58 AM
On second attempt, my wife's FOB was recognized by my car, same result car will not shift. Thanks again.

JimmyH
07-08-12, 02:12 PM
moved from cust svc

GentSeville
07-08-12, 07:04 PM
I do not have much to offer you in the form of help at this time, however the gentleman I purchased my car from stated that he did have to replace that gearshift assembly for the same reason. He said it was a $500-$600 fix. i am still in touch with him if you have any questions you would like me to ask him let me know.

1BadCadSTS
07-08-12, 08:22 PM
Shifter on my 05 was replaced. Same reason.

EChas3
07-08-12, 10:43 PM
These cars are best serviced by Cadillac service departments. I don't claim that others are incapable or deny that some Cadillac dealers have poor service departments. I'm just sharing my experience.

I am fortunate to live fairly close to two delaers with very experienced Cadillac service groups. After all, they see a lot of these cars. Most other places rarely see any STS's.

JDC5886
07-08-12, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. So should I assume that the solenoid cannot be replaced without replacing the whole gear shift assembly?

Does anyone know how to disable the solenoid?

Also my car is now stuck in park. Is there any emergency switch to get car out of park for towing purposes?

EChas3
07-08-12, 10:55 PM
My wife's 1998 Seville STS had the solinoid go bad and we had the local guy just disable it. I'm not sure it's that easy on our '05 & up STS.

There is a release. I think you have to pull the shifter cover.

Ludacrisvp
07-09-12, 12:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. So should I assume that the solenoid cannot be replaced without replacing the whole gear shift assembly?

Does anyone know how to disable the solenoid?

Also my car is now stuck in park. Is there any emergency switch to get car out of park for towing purposes?

I see no need to tow it once you get it out of park that is...
If you have the AWD STS the owners manual does state to only have the car towed on a flatbed truck. Otherwise powertrain damage can occur and GM will not cover it under any warranty.

JDC5886
07-09-12, 01:37 PM
I have taken off trim around gearshift assembly, does anyone know the release button is located?

EChas3
07-09-12, 09:48 PM
There is a thread about it; an old one...

As I recall, it's a tab that rides in a slot (fore & aft) and it's released by moving it forward while pulling the lever out if Park.

Don't believe me. Search the forum or check a shop manual/Alldata.

Ludacrisvp
07-09-12, 09:58 PM
I looked in the shop manual for him and I couldn't find it. Perhaps its in the driver / owners manual. That had it on my 02 DTS.

EChas3
07-09-12, 10:31 PM
I'm sure I read it here. Try searching.

JDC5886
07-10-12, 01:06 PM
Found it. It is a white plastic piece on driver side of gear shift towards front dash. You move white piece forward while moving gearshift out of park. You'll need a screwdriver to move white plastic forward as the piece is about 3-4 inches below shift plate.

Does anyone know if gear shift solenoid can be replaced by itself or is it necessary to replace the whole gear shift assembly.

EChas3
07-10-12, 07:30 PM
Congratulations!

laffinjack
01-21-13, 11:37 AM
my 05 STS won't shift out of park sometimes, found 2 micro switches in front of shift assembly when I touch them the solenoid engages, thus the solenoid must be good, so what's causing this? Does anyone know a fix W/o the dealer?

Ludacrisvp
01-21-13, 03:13 PM
There was some kind of tech bulletin that said to verify that the shift linkage was properly adjusted in this case before replacing the shifter assembly. That is assuming we ate talking about the same issues here.

jelvind
06-12-14, 08:21 PM
I have an 2008 STS that has this problem. I had recently "synced" my iPhone in the blue tooth menu in this vehicle.
I did two things.
I deleted the phone from the list and went through all the personal configuration settings with the door locks and such.
It seems to have corrected my problem.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------
Hmm... Could some combination of settings be inhibiting the recognition of the shift lever/pedal brake interlock logic? Just wondering????

EChas3
06-12-14, 11:08 PM
More likely, a coincidental bad sifter interlock solenoid.

If you're lucky, it's a switch. No trouble starting?