: The Master Mod List!

Royalton
07-05-12, 08:48 PM
I've created a list of must have mods. This list is obviously subjective but thought it might help to have one list for the most popular mods. Feel free to post up comments about any items or feel free to add your own :) I will also continue to add on the list as I come across new great must haves and great mods.

1) Window Tint.
Should be ceramic or metal coated and good quality (not a dyed film) so that it not only reduces the visible and UV light coming through but so it also shields heat too. My opinion is to go for only ceramic. Metallic can add to the faraday cage effect and may hinder gps/cell reception slightly. Ceramic also blocks 80% of pass-through heat. Rear windows are already tinted 20% (factory tinted glass not a tint on clear glass). My favorite combo is 15% tint on front windows, and 25-30% additional on rear windows leaving the back with no additional, and front windshield is always up for debate. (Note that a lower number tint is less light transmittance, thus darker tint) Your local laws may dictate which option is best for you, but generally 5% will get you pulled over eventually in any state. Good rule of thumb is to always roll down all windows when getting pulled over for officer safety, this will usually be enough to get you out of the tint ticket as well for showing your concern for the officers well being.
A good site to play around with tint %'s is http://www.formulaone.com/en/FilmViewer.aspx and a chart of state tint laws may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film

2) GM Lockpick
Allows use of Navigation, DVD playing, category scrolling, camera input, and more while driving. Cost ranges from $169-$350 can be found on ebay and many other websites.
The Gen 6 lockpick install can be seen here http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick2.htm
The GMX550 is $100 more and adds apple functionality. Play audio/Video and the ability of scrolling while connected to your iphone/ipad/ipod http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX550.htm

3) Upgrade your Nav. Disk:
Follow this post to find out how to receive your free latest Nav Disk, 2012 i believe. (This trick may not work forever)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/214218-free-2011-nav-disk.html

4) Remote start phone app w GPS tracker
The Viper VSS5000 Is like having LowJack and a remote starter in one with no range limitation. Start your car, pop your trunk, or see where your Esky is from anywhere in the world. Unlike a normal key chain remote starter, the Viper VSS5000 is a phone app. If you have a smartphone than you're golden. You don't have to be in range of your car, you just have to have cell service. It also will show the gps location of your girl at any time, even the speed, You can also set up alerts by setting up a zone alarm, if she leaves the zone you will notified in real time. Makes finding your car in the mall parking lot more fun too. Requires a monthly service around $5. If you order this make sure you get the VSS5000, the previous model had many glitches that have now been worked out. Here is the link for it on Amazon it runs about $250 http://www.amazon.com/Viper-VSS5000-SmartStart-Security-Remote/dp/B0047Z5IVK/ref=cm_rdp_product It's also sold at Best Buy. It's much more expensive at best buy but I think they install it free or on the cheap if you buy it and have it installed there.

5) Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
The best and highest recommended sway bars are Hotchkis. Adds stability and reduces vehicle flex and lean while reducing roll over risk. A difference you will actually notice in the feel of your every day driving experience. Manufactures website http://www.hotchkis.net approx cost $500. They also sell sway bar bushings but I do not know if they are "beefier" or make any difference at all, they are $114 extra though. If you have a link to a site with good pricing or group buys feel free to post it.

6) Full Bulb Upgrade
Only the best for your girl! Nothin says I love you like a full bulb conversion to HID & LED. Stock Headlights are already HID at 4800k. Upgrade those fog lights to HID too. The 9145 bulb foglights can easily be upgraded to matching HID. I highly recommend Digital HID. They can be found here http://retro-solutions.net They offer 35watt and 55 watts. I opted for the 55 watt version since the fogs are aimed low to the ground so they arent blinding. You can go with 5000k or 6000k to try to match the stock HID headlights. The tricky part is that although the stock headlights are 4800k they're shot through a projector which tends to give the appearance of a slightly higher kelvin. So my best guess would be to go with the 5000-6000k fogs. I myself am going with 8000k fogs and changing my stock heads to 6000k, or going 8000k all around, haven't yet decided. 8000k is the max I would recommend as anything more and you lose too much light output...and not to mention you'll look like a ricer;) The higher the kelvin the less bright they are. 4300k is 10% brighter than 6000k but they look more like traditional style lights and less like HID. 6000k is pure white, 8000 is white with a slight blue hue.
Upgrading the dome lights, plate lights, running lights, puddle lights etc. makes quite a nice upgrade. It gives off a nice high end and new car feel that most import cars now a days use, while providing even more light than stock.
Here are all the bulbs listed for our model. http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgallbulbs.aspx?year=2009&qual=&model=695&make=16
The trick is to make sure you buy all the LED lights at the the same place and ask them if they are all the same Kalvin since you want them to all match in both color and intensity. Consensus is that http://www.v-leds.com has the latest technology and so the brightest LED's available, so i would suggest buying them from there even if it costs a few extra bucks. I cheeped out and bought my LED's off ebay. They were very dim, and with them all on I can hardly tell, so go with V-leds.com they are a trusted source.

7) Upgraded Exhaust:
For upgrading your exhaust there are many options available. I would like to recommend The Corsa Exhaust. It is a cat back design exhaust so it is bolt on and 50 state legal. The manufacture claims that it is 11 lbs lighter than stock and frees up 15hp. Includes dual 4" stainless tips with your choice of side or rear facing. It comes in two models the Sport and Touring. The sport is deep, loud, and throaty, while the touring is more subdued but the difference is still noticeable. Neither model have a drone sound common with other brands. The sport model can be heard slightly inside the cabin at highway speeds though and that is why I recommend the Touring model. You will have a noticeable difference at WOT compared to stock as well as the deep gargle at idol but yet it still retains it's class and elegance, the Sport model is best left for the quarter milers or those looking for a bit more attention. Both models can be found online for less than $900. If you order this, please note that models 2007-2010 are different than 2011, and 2012 I believe is different again and i think 2012 involves cutting. Here is a link to the manufacturers site with a video clip of the Sport exhaust running. http://www.corsaperf.com/product_display.aspx?product=961 To hear the touring model you will have to look on youtube.

8) Best waxes, washes, and products to use on your baby:
Best wax: Zaino followed by Meguires NXT Tech.2.0 The best waxes are synthetic polymer waxes, not carnuba.
Best Oils: Do not even think of putting in anything but fully Synthetic Oil. Mobil 1 is what I usually use
California Duster: One of the greatest tools in keeping your little one clean. Use this only when perfectly dry, between washes.
Redline's Water Wetter: I use this along with distilled water (no anti-freeze) in my truck at all times (miami). The benefits of this product are known in racing circles, but also benefits every day drivers too.

Best tire product, leather conditioner, armorall type products, air filters, computer chip mods, and more still to come...add your suggestions

Feel free to post up any other mods and extras that you feel are worth it.

MrHolland
07-05-12, 08:55 PM
WOW, Awesome first post!!!!

evois
07-06-12, 08:44 PM
I suggest black magic tire black. Very easy to apply and last longer. The look is amazing. I use zymol for wax as well the interior but found lexol better.

MrHolland
07-06-12, 11:48 PM
The number one thing I did when I took possession of my car was to have a 3M Clear Bra installed. My money couldn't have been spent better on anything else. I had complete front bumper, partial hood and fenders, custom rockers from chrome strip to the bottom of the car, A pillars, roof between the windshield and sunroof, rear bumper behind the tires, backs of the mirrors, the cups under the door handles and the headlamp and fog lamps covered. I would like to have the fuel door covered as well but haven't done it yet. MONEY VERY WELL SPENT!!!!

I agree Lexol is very good. Ive used it on my Fleetwood and have been happy with the results. I'm also looking forward to trying Leatherique. Ive read one application a year of Leatherique with maintenance applications of Lexol is a very good combination, depending on the environment in which the car lives. I haven't used anything on my Escalade interior since it is a Platinum and Cadillac recommends against using any product other than a damp cloth on an as needed basis. As far as Armor All/petroleum or silicon based products, I have a very minimal use for them, but nowhere near my interiors.

An assortment of microfiber towels is also a must, with Viking or Cobra being my preferred brands of towel. I have seen a microfiber towel called Chinchilla being offered. It looks to be a nice a towel but since Ive never used it I cant recommend it.

Call me OCD if you must, but I like to keep my car showroom clean at all times. This involves a small travel kit of various chemicals and cloths so that I am able to tend to any unexpected mishaps, especially bird droppings. Nothing kills a painted surface like bird droppings or bug parts.

Ok, thats my contribution for now. Great thread too!!!

hcvone
07-09-12, 07:54 AM
The number one thing I did when I took possession of my car was to have a 3M Clear Bra installed. My money couldn't have been spent better on anything else. I had complete front bumper, partial hood and fenders, custom rockers from chrome strip to the bottom of the car, A pillars, roof between the windshield and sunroof, rear bumper behind the tires, backs of the mirrors, the cups under the door handles and the headlamp and fog lamps covered. I would like to have the fuel door covered as well but haven't done it yet. MONEY VERY WELL SPENT!!!!

I agree Lexol is very good. Ive used it on my Fleetwood and have been happy with the results. I'm also looking forward to trying Leatherique. Ive read one application a year of Leatherique with maintenance applications of Lexol is a very good combination, depending on the environment in which the car lives. I haven't used anything on my Escalade interior since it is a Platinum and Cadillac recommends against using any product other than a damp cloth on an as needed basis. As far as Armor All/petroleum or silicon based products, I have a very minimal use for them, but nowhere near my interiors.

An assortment of microfiber towels is also a must, with Viking or Cobra being my preferred brands of towel. I have seen a microfiber towel called Chinchilla being offered. It looks to be a nice a towel but since Ive never used it I cant recommend it.

Call me OCD if you must, but I like to keep my car showroom clean at all times. This involves a small travel kit of various chemicals and cloths so that I am able to tend to any unexpected mishaps, especially bird droppings. Nothing kills a painted surface like bird droppings or bug parts.

Ok, thats my contribution for now. Great thread too!!!

As said good post and welcome, as said above 3M clear bra is a must for the bumper and under the doors (if you have power running boards) for protection, and I of course agree with your Zaino wax info, been using it for 20 years and selling it for 15 years, just nothing beats it. :)

davecampbell1
02-07-13, 01:35 PM
I have a 2007 Escalade EXT which I did most these upgraded listed over the years. However the one I could never figure out is keeping the Fog lamps on while high beams are turned on?
I have used a few different HID kits and stuck with 100 watt digital 9005's for fog lamps aimed as low as possible as they shine out into ditch almost 70 degrees and provide awesome driving light.
However when I need to see further they of course turn off with high beams as all vehicles do! Makes sense if I still had the dull yellow candles which were factory filament 9005 bulbs however long as weather isn't inclement high beams would be nice along with fogs.

I've seen diode trick etc... however I am not one to like to overdraw factory fused accessories etc...
I know there are kits offered too to make this work

Could anyone offer any suggestions?

----------

The other item I have been looking for forever is Stainless Steel rocker panel. Trim
I cannot find wide trim though that would cover almost the entire lower half of the doors under the factory door crome ding strip to almost bottom of door lip ???

Also looking for an 8 piece set so it covers just the backside of the front fenders and nicely cut patterns to cover rear quarters behind rear wheels.

Best I found is 6" thick door kit or rest are all that cheap cut yourself plastic with crome paint.
I'd think there would be an Operation that would cut stainless as I found that for door pillar posts which look great especially since black mirror finish oxidized and looked horrible. And I need to cover rock chips on rocker panels

Betterthanalincoln
01-25-14, 10:58 PM
Great post! Glad for that info about the Corsa muffler- I'm shopping for one right now and can't decide between sport and touring. Sounds like touring is the right choice.

1. DIABLOSPORT TRINITY.

Get it. The best programmer, period. Can mod pretty much any American vehicle. Also doubles as a code reader (albeit a pretty basic one)

Easy to use and I'm told it doesn't leave "footprints", meaning no warranty issues. There are various tunes for the Esky but the 93 octane gives a claimed 25-30 hp and torque gain. Not sure if its true, but you can definitely notice a major difference. 403 hp is nothing to sniff at, but I'm always looking for more power and I love smoking little imports off the line. Careful, I swear I can see my gas gauge drop when I nail it. To that end, there are also tunes for 89 octane and one for max economy. You can make your own custom tunes as well, but I'm hooked on the extra horses. Add in exhaust and intake and you can bolt on an extra 50hp. I think they are $650 new but I found one on amazon for $500. I've used it in my old 01 Tahoe, 04 EXT, and my 09 Esky.

2. Amen to the 3M bra. One of my favorite mods. Especially with black raven.

3. Collinite wax. The best. It's some seriously thick carnauba and really takes some work, but WELL worth the result.

My process was:
Clay bar
Nano wax
Collinite
Malco plum crazy (killer glaze)
Trans mate maestro (quick detailer, must have)
Don't waste the money buying mother or any other quick detailer at the stores. I got a gallon of the trans mate from a local detailer for $20. Looks the nuts.

I'd love to know what everyone uses on exterior plastics.

I'm ordering leatherique- I heard its amazing, anyone try it on ebony interior?

I'm using a drop in k&n right now, on the fence with the CAI setup. Anyone have any input or suggestions?

I live in New England so weather tech custom fit mats are a must. Just put a set of Bridgestone blizzaks on the 18 spoke 22s. Traction is killer and it stops like I'm on dry pavement.

Speaking of stopping- any advice on a brake upgrade? I need front pads, so I've talked myself into changing the rotors too. Cross drilled and slotted for sure. Any input would be great.

Hope this is useful info

Noob
01-25-14, 11:39 PM
I don't think all dyed tint is bad... I have had metallic tint on my infiniti, ceramic on my porsche, and Wincos on my escalade. And honestly, Wincos made the biggest difference in heat reduction that it's now the only tint I would use. It has a 92% IR light rejection... It was a huge upgrade over my ceramic tint on my porsche.

AZKlaus
01-26-14, 01:32 AM
Forget the viper thing, get a Delphi Connect (I went with the upgraded 4g hotspot model). It's a simple plug into your OBD-II port, and it syncs right up with your phone giving you the same functionality as the DEI (Viper) unit. Plus I now have a rolling 4g hotspot in my car which is awesome. Remote start works perfectly, and it has a vibration sensor and can set geofences as well for security.

http://delphiconnect.com/

JJaiman
01-26-14, 11:23 AM
Whats that cost a month?

MrHolland
01-26-14, 11:52 AM
I wondered the same thing so I clicked the link and checked it out. Monthly price is based on data package chosen.

AZKlaus
01-26-14, 12:40 PM
If you want to skip the hotspot it's $5 per month. If you're a vz subscriber you can tack on to your existing data plan for a device add on.

SpyShops NY
01-26-14, 05:22 PM
I have the Delphi connect non wi-fi model first on and with my ISIMPLE it doesn't work so I was wondering if you had a PAC or ISIMPLE adapter

AZKlaus
01-30-14, 09:38 AM
Hmmm no but I was considering buying one. The Delphi won't read your ECU? That seems odd...

mberisha
01-30-14, 12:36 PM
Curious....I just do a hotspot w/my iPhone 5s in the Escalade and V...any advantage to doing a sep unit?

wesyder
01-30-14, 12:52 PM
Curious....I just do a hotspot w/my iPhone 5s in the Escalade and V...any advantage to doing a sep unit?a separate bill lol

mberisha
01-30-14, 12:54 PM
^^^yeah no kidding....haha...

That's why I couldn't figure out why people would do a sep unit? There must be a reason though...I would hope?

wesyder
01-30-14, 01:30 PM
^^^yeah no kidding....haha... That's why I couldn't figure out why people would do a sep unit? There must be a reason though...I would hope?its just personal preference i guess.. Either you have the hot spot thru your personal device or in your vehicle

AZKlaus
01-30-14, 03:33 PM
Curious....I just do a hotspot w/my iPhone 5s in the Escalade and V...any advantage to doing a sep unit?

Yes if your truck needs to be a mobile office like mine. The range is more powerful on the Delphi unit versus my phone and I can make phone calls without worrying about dropping the internet connection. Plus I can always leave it on versus having to shut it off frequently on my phone due to battery drain. All in your purpose

mberisha
01-30-14, 04:07 PM
Yes if your truck needs to be a mobile office like mine. The range is more powerful on the Delphi unit versus my phone and I can make phone calls without worrying about dropping the internet connection. Plus I can always leave it on versus having to shut it off frequently on my phone due to battery drain. All in your purpose

Ahhh....thank you....makes perfect sense....

Thanks for the breakdown....didn't think about the range issue.

36dbldz
02-11-14, 08:27 PM
The number one thing I did when I took possession of my car was to have a 3M Clear Bra installed. My money couldn't have been spent better on anything else. I had complete front bumper, partial hood and fenders, custom rockers from chrome strip to the bottom of the car, A pillars, roof between the windshield and sunroof, rear bumper behind the tires, backs of the mirrors, the cups under the door handles and the headlamp and fog lamps covered. I would like to have the fuel door covered as well but haven't done it yet. MONEY VERY WELL SPENT!!!! I agree Lexol is very good. Ive used it on my Fleetwood and have been happy with the results. I'm also looking forward to trying Leatherique. Ive read one application a year of Leatherique with maintenance applications of Lexol is a very good combination, depending on the environment in which the car lives. I haven't used anything on my Escalade interior since it is a Platinum and Cadillac recommends against using any product other than a damp cloth on an as needed basis. As far as Armor All/petroleum or silicon based products, I have a very minimal use for them, but nowhere near my interiors. An assortment of microfiber towels is also a must, with Viking or Cobra being my preferred brands of towel. I have seen a microfiber towel called Chinchilla being offered. It looks to be a nice a towel but since Ive never used it I cant recommend it. Call me OCD if you must, but I like to keep my car showroom clean at all times. This involves a small travel kit of various chemicals and cloths so that I am able to tend to any unexpected mishaps, especially bird droppings. Nothing kills a painted surface like bird droppings or bug parts. Ok, thats my contribution for now. Great thread too!!!

on the hood do you recall if it was 18 or 24inches?

MrHolland
02-11-14, 11:15 PM
I think 24 but I don't remember. Here's a write up with pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/259241-clear-bra-pics.html

36dbldz
02-12-14, 06:34 AM
I think 24 but I don't remember. Here's a write up with pics.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/259241-clear-bra-pics.html

Thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)