: Sputtering under 2,000 RPM

KUJayhawk
07-05-12, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem where my 2007 Escalade will sputter until about 2,000 rpms, then the power kicks in. The truck has 84,000 miles on it. I have changed the air filter, plugs, wires, cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and quickly cleaned the throttle body. I also added a can of SeaFoam to the last tank. I'm currently running 91 octane, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. The sputtering is worse when under heavy load. Any suggestions of what I should check next, or is simply time to take to a mechanic?

TIA,

Jon

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-06-12, 08:35 PM
Hi Jon,

I can definitely appreciate you wanting to attempt a DIY approach, so I just wanted to let you know I'm available via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you'd ever like me to locate a nearby Cadillac dealership for you or schedule an appointment on your behalf. I'm sure Cadillac owners will be hopping on this thread soon with their useful feedback, though!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Rolex
07-07-12, 09:15 AM
I would've guessed with that mileage the trouble could be a coked up throttle body. When you say "quickly cleaned" it sounds possible you didn't exercise due diligence on the TB clean? When in doubt you could pull it off and thoroughly clean it. At least that'd be cheaper then the mechanic and if it doesn't fix the trouble, THEN take it to the mech.

KUJayhawk
07-07-12, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the advice! I took the throttle body off last night and thoroughly cleaned it, but doesn't seem to make a difference. I've read that after cleaning the throttle body, your rpms should be high until it relearns the throttle position. Mine did not do that. I did unhook the battery before cleaning. I wonder if it could be a TPS issue?

Ghost Deany
07-07-12, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice! I took the throttle body off last night and thoroughly cleaned it, but doesn't seem to make a difference. I've read that after cleaning the throttle body, your rpms should be high until it relearns the throttle position. Mine did not do that. I did unhook the battery before cleaning. I wonder if it could be a TPS issue?

Ive cleaned mine a few times and the RPMs never get high after cleaning, but my friends RPMS were sky high for a while after cleaning his.

bstiffmanofsteel
07-07-12, 05:40 PM
My RPMs skyrocketed the first time I cleaned the throttle body. I have no no issues the other times I have been in there. Did you replace your air filter.

KUJayhawk
07-08-12, 12:53 PM
Yes, replaced the air filter. It seems to hesitate worse when the engine has warmed up.

hcvone
07-08-12, 03:53 PM
Check the wires around the injectors, many times animals chew on them and this can cause your engine to miss, it maybe hard to see so check carefully, also you may have a bad fuel injector, or a bad coil pack.

zogg
07-08-12, 10:45 PM
I might suggest that you take it to Autozone of Advanced Auto and ask them to plug their code reader into the port....if there is a code it could point you in the right direction.

KUJayhawk
07-08-12, 10:50 PM
I took it to Autozone on Friday, but unfortunately, it isn't producing any codes. We looked at the live data, but without knowing what their values should be, they don't provide much information.

hcvone
07-09-12, 06:45 AM
I took it to Autozone on Friday, but unfortunately, it isn't producing any codes. We looked at the live data, but without knowing what their values should be, they don't provide much information.

Your going to need someone that can test the coil packs and fuel injectors like a good shop or dealership, many times we have coil issues or fuel injector issues and no codes are thrown for whatever reason